The Movie Thread

Slaughter

Hmm, rumours, rumours.

Brittany Murphy Back for More Sin Source: Moviehole August 1, 2005

Brittany Murphy tells OK! Magazine that she has signed to star in Sin City 2, which writers/directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are planning for a summer 2006 release.  "I'm absolutely thrilled. It's exciting to be a part of something so big and artistically groundbreaking", says Murphy, who played Shellie in the adaptation of Miller's series of graphic novels.    "I love the film and I'm ecstatic to be working with director Robert Rodriguez and the crew again," she adds.

Something to look forward to. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Donnie Darko Director's Cut. I go out, I faithfully buy it, and whaddo I see the next freaking day? Can you guess? Donnie Darko DC 2-Disc Edition! Freaking DVDs! Now I have to palm off the single disc edition to some unsuspecting mook and get me the 2-disc version.

Wassamtta with people today, eh? :blush:

Although, I'm keeping the original theatrical release, because I think it's the better of the two, being more cryptic and ambiguous. Not that the DC isn't a damn fine film, it is, and the bonus materials are worth it (considering the 1-disc cost me £7 and the 2-disc will only set me back £8).

I'd say so, mate. Memento isn't that good once fully understood, but it's structure makes it pretty interesting and unique. As for DD, repeat viewings are a must.

This looks like the absolute dog's bollocks. The film I rented out was shite, but it had the trailer for this on it. It looks absolutely fantastic. :blush:

For anyone not up to speed with british slang, if something is 'bollocks', it is very bad.

Conversely, if something is 'the dogs bollocks', it is good, great, the best of it's kind. Thankyou.

See also, 'the mutt's nuts' and 'the badger's nadgers'

I agree, I saw a Doom 3 Imp, and a Doom 3 Baron. And the plasma gun, sch-weeeet! :blush:

EDIT: Hmm, I examined the HTML source for that Doom page you posted up Slaughter, here's what I found in the meta-data:

Something has gone wrong at a remote scientific research station on Mars.  All research has ceased.  Communication has failed.  And the messages that do get through are less than comforting.  It's a level 5 quarantine and the only souls allowed in or out are the Rapid Response Tactical Squad - hardened marines armed to the teeth with enough firepower to neutralize any enemy - or so they think.  
The research being done at Olduvai station has unwittingly opened a door and all hell has broken loose.  A legion of nightmarish creatures of unknown origin lurk behind every wall and stalk the countless rooms and tunnels of the facility, killing what few people remain.   
Sealing off the portal to Earth, Sarge (Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson), Reaper (Karl Urban) and their team must use every weapon at their disposal - and some they find along the way - to carry out their orders:  nothing gets out alive.  
The game that electrified a generation leaps from the computer screen to the big screen as a terrifying science-fiction action adventure that will transport moviegoers to a dark and disturbing future with all the visceral excitement and horror that made its gaming predecessor a global phenomenon.
Universal Pictures presents Doom, starring Karl Urban (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Bourne Supremacy) as Reaper, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson (The Scorpion King, The Rundown, Walking Tall) as Sarge and Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day, Pride and Prejudice) as Dr. Grimm.  The film also stars DeObia Oparei, Ben Daniels, Raz Adoti, Richard Brake, Al Weaver and Yao Chin as members of the Rapid Response Tactical Squad and Dexter Fletcher as a wheelchair-bound communications officer.
Doom is directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak (Cradle 2 the Grave) and produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Constantine) and John Wells (Far From Heaven, White Oleander, television's The West Wing).  The film is written by David Callaham and Wesley Strick (from a story by Callaham), based on the id Software videogame 'Doom 3.'  
The behind-the-scenes team is led by director of photography Tony Pierce-Roberts (Underworld), production designer Stephen Scott (Hellboy), costume designer Carlo Poggioli (Van Helsing, Cold Mountain), SFX  supervisor Kit West (The Bourne Supremacy, Dragonheart), VFX supervisor Jon Farhat (Blue Crush, The Nutty Professor I & II),  creature FX supervisor John Rosengrant (Aliens) and editor Derek Brechin.  Jeremy Steckler and Laura Holstein are co-executive producers.

Edited by Matri

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to Izo, a film from crazy Jap director Takashi Miike about a time-travelling dead warrior who kills everyone he meets. You heard me. Starring Takeshi Kitano. :angry:

Blubbering over Nausicaa because of the lack of a R2 release, but I've ordered the R1 2-disc set anyway. No way I'm hanging around for a R2 2-disc release if they've only just got around to releasing the 1-disc. Bastards.

Also on my list is Howl's Moving Castle which is fairly new, so no DVD as yet.

• 1 month later...
So. I found me a dead baby, packed it in a cooler and smuggled it out of the country. Once in Foreign Parts, I found me a kilo of cocaine, opened up said dead baby, packed in the cocaine and then bought me an Eastern European girl to act as the baby's mother on the way back through customs. Everything went swimmingly, so I bought myself the Sin city box set from Amazon, and I'm keeping the rest for Sky Blue, Kung Fu Hustle and The Big Lebowski (Collector's Edition).

Definitely. Nightmare before Christmas was a great film, and hopefully this will be in a similar vein. Burton makes some cracking films. Batman, NBC, Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands etc. The Planet of the Apes remake was his only really big mistake. That film was 100% grade-A shite.

Here's hoping it, and the slew of others, are the first good game-to-film conversions. Notable is Halo, being quite derivative as far as source goes (marines vs aliens is straight from Aliens) and I doubt it will make much of a film, though Alex Garland is doing the screenplay (wrote The Beach and 28 Days Later), so fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and saw The Corpse Bride and it turned out to be a damn good film. Full of morbid humour and toe-tapping songs about death.

Innocence, a follow-up film to the classic anime Ghost in the Shell, looks very good, outshining it's predecessor visually, if nothing else. I love films about what constitutes a thinking being and why we should or shouldn't blow them up, and this concerns a robot who murders it's owner.

The Constant Gardener also looks like a classy bit of film, based on John le Carre's book and directed by the same bloke who did the fantastic City of God, Ralph Fiennes stars as a man who simply will not stop trying to find out who murdered his wife.

On the action side of things, there's Transporter 2 starring Jason Statham. No doubt there'll be another semi-existent American accent and some over-the-top action. Luc Besson wrote the script, so I'm hoping for something just as good as the first film.