My Very First Post.

Haijo

I'll just answer your first question.

You need a 'navigator' of any alien species for the hyperwave decoder. Rather a marvellous, albeit expensive, device to have if you just so happen to stun a navigator on your first mission after the alien containment cells are all set up. :D

You can often find one in the large scouts (the '+' shaped UFO) and most of the larger ships. You might even find one wandering about in a Terror Site or a base attack even, though why the navigator is playing soldier on the ground when it should be working on the ship is a little beyond me!

- NKF

hmm... :D

Maybe the Navigator's in contact with the ship above (you saw the beaming in

the Intro,right?).You never find the ship in Terror missions,which makes me think...

:D Maybe Terror Ships Never really land because of the Buildings......

And the Navigator tells them when to "Energize"!

But if it's so,then Andre's story......

(Add what you think Appropriate)

BTW,Apocalypse IS the best.

(Prove me Wrong)

Ok then... Apocalypse sucks next to UFO... It's a good game and all but it really stinks if you compare it to the original. Sorry but fact is fact! :D

Is it just me or has noone actually greeted Haijo? As always it's up to the moderators to make first contact! Hey Haijo, welcome to our world :P Hope you enjoy your time here, for you will never leave! :D

I have to disagree with Bob though... I think all of the XCom titles are good except Enforcer :D What a let down... They thought if they put the XCom logo on a naff game it would sell. How right they were... And now everyone who owns that game presumes that XCom sucks! Not true... If you didn't already have UFO I'd suggest buying the collectors edition off ebay or somewhere similar. It has UFO + TFTD (The first two very similar games) and Apocalypse (the similar but craply modified third game) The only way Apoc really disappointed me was the graphics. It's still worth buying as the storyline is still there (kind of...) XCom IV is Interceptor and is very controversial. XCom tried to branch out into a flying game and did rather poorly :ninja: I think it's worth a gander though, I enjoyed it before I switched to XP!

Welcome!

I thought that apocalypse was better, it was just the weak s**t about the micronoids and only getting anti-alien gas after you have killed nearly 80% of the aliens that bugged me. True, UFO is brilliant, TFTD was good because it was just a port of the original underwater, Interceptor was good, but in a different way(even though the space flight felt absolutely rubbish) and I have not played anymore so I cannot comment on them

:alien2:

Apocalypse is similar enough. Though it doesn't replicate the original feel that well, I always found Apocalypse atmosphere to be more horror based than UFO's campy sci-fi style. :D But the campiness remains true at least, so Apocalypse is probably your best sequel fix.

i actually found the exact opposite, i felt that apocalypse was more of a campy sci-fi style than ufo, and ufo was more of a horror style than apoc, mainly because of the lighting (or lack thereof) in apoc...

oh, and welcome Haijo :D

But you completely ignore the (even though limited) addition of...

..City Politics!

+"Three Dimensional" Air Combat!

+Randomized Armor!

+Different kinds of Grenades!

+Vehicle "Hardpoints" and "Equipment Slots"!

+Road Vehicles (The Infiltrated use them to move Aliens! I Swear!)

+Real-Time (a MAJOR breakthrough;It's much more Realistic)

+Strange & Very Varied Aliens [Poppers,Brainsuckers,Hyperworms,Megaspawns,OVERSPAWNS,Spitters,they're all special,not like the usual (UFO&TFTD) Gunbearers,toughies,BBQs,Psi-Guys,Flyers,and Robots (Sectopod&Xarquid).

+Last but certainly not least,GRAVITY!

-All i really missed was the Geoscape and HWP's.

But i AM a Rookie after all.So-

PROVE ME WRONG!

:spam::spam::spam:

EDIT:

At another thread of course.........

Edited by M. Hoz

I've found apocalypse to be my favourite X-com game as well. Mostly because of the real time game mode, I can't stand being shot at and not being able to return fire because I've used up all my TUs. And the fights in the city and between companies are great ofcourse :D

Blade are you promoting thievery of XCom games :o

give me a break TJ.. I've checked the background on that site.. they are ligit (ie. no pending or past lawsuits for IP infrigment)... and you do pay.. if just for shiping and media. (I know your kidding me but not every one here gets your humor)

I think every one should pay for the game..

If you have a pc faster than 300hmz and slower then 1.6ghz.. then you would want the windows version any way. as it gets a decent speed at that range.. anything over 1.6 and the the dos version runs better under DOSBox .60

-Blade FireLight

ok, i was wondering about, i think I have the dos version. It does run in windows 98 se. Is there a better version of enemy unknown available?

Better is relative.

I feel the dos version is better then the windows version. but they are all basicly the same program.. (windows has better support for music, and DOS has better speed control options with 3rd party utilities)

The Nither game has a control on how fast geoscape runs.

For tactical there is some control for the movement and fire and the scroll speed will also control the animation frame rate.(with a compatible video card) but after you hit 2Ghz the windows version is vertualy unplayable.

but the dos version can be controled under win9x with moslo or at-slow

and DOSBox .60 under XP (with a really fast cpu)

-Blade FireLight

give me a break TJ.. I've checked the background on that site.. they are ligit (ie. no pending or past lawsuits for IP infrigment)... and you do pay.. if just for shiping and media. (I know your kidding me but not every one here gets your humor)

i know...we had that same problem in the past :devil:

ahh well...i guess some of us are stupid enough to feel threatened.... :D

lol...just pulling your leg veteran...lol...

oh well....back to the topic.

Topics can change mid thread. One day you see a very good thread talking about humourous things you can do with a tazer, a few days later, the thread has mutated from that topic into a pseudo intellectual (or sometimes a very serious) discussion on how aliens started religion and why they did not make the earth into the shape of a banana, and why the ice cream cones are the living spawn of evil.

While my example is an exaggeration, it's not unusual for such a thing to happen. :D

It's not necessarily wrong, but it can be a bit confusing for folks who've just jumped into the thread. It's more of a guideline really. It's preffered that topics stay on topic, but as long as the creator of the thread (or the moderators) do not object, it should be fine to proceed.

What were we on about? Oh yes, dos vs. windows versions.

The Windows versions inherits almost all the bugs from the dos version (except the difficulty bug - that's fixed) and makes them a worse (you crash immediately back to the desktop) and introduces a few new bugs of its own (mostly caused by not clearing data properly and also some video errors specific to certain types of hardware). One advantage of the CE version is that you needn't worry about setting up the soundcard (which was a major pain back in the old days - and you could really mess things up), as DirectX does this for you. It also makes an attempt to regulate the game speed, but this doesn't seem to be of much help on some computer systems, though it works fine on others.

The dos version is good, apart from the fact that they never regulated the game's frame speed (making it unplayable, or extremely choppy/jerky) and you need to have dos-compatible sound drivers if you want to get the game running with sound. Also, as Microsoft is attempting to phase out the command prompt, MS Dos support is slowly waning. Before long our favourite old games will no longer work on our PCs, at least without the help of an emulator.

Either version of the game is a mixed bag really. Just pick the one that works best on your PC. If you had the choice, I would recommend getting both versions, so that one can serve as a contingency case the other one doesn't work.

- NKF

If it's only the geoscape rotation you're having trouble with, then I recommend that you do not use the scroll buttons on the lower right. Instead, right click on the globe to centre on any particular location. It provides a lot more control on faster systems than the arrows.

---

As for determining the version: There are many ways to check. One possible method is to go to the sound\ subdirectory in your game directory and see if if you can find any midi files there (*.mid). If you find any, then you have the windows edition. If there aren't any, and you see files such adlib.cat, gm.cat and roland.cat, then you have the dos edition.

- NKF