The Movie Thread

Slaughter

I'll tell you what, I watched the gag reel on the Star Trek DVD and if Zachary Quinto says "Oh, my God" in that "Like, oh, my God, totally" annoying way some young folks do over the pond even one more time I shall slap him. Still, gag reel was very funny.

• 4 weeks later...

*mild spoilers*

I remember watching the Avatar trailer, I thought: "This looks like the tale of the native Americans in the form of blue aliens on a far away moon". Today i want to watch it, as I couldn't quite make myself believe Cameron would spend four years on something that retarded. He did.

Avatar has stunning effects and so on, so it's fine for a Sunday popcorn flick, but I really had expected a proper story to go with a high profile movie like this. Finally a decent director decides to create a high budget sci-fi movie, and it ends up being "native tree-huggers tribute Pokemon". It's also PG13. *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

Leon on Blu-Ray. Great film, looks even more gorgeous than usual.

Sherlock Holmes. Generic action film, nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes, really. Character sacrificed for laughs because Holmes is really a bit of a bastard and that won't go down well with cinema audiences now will it.

The Time of the Wolf (Les Temps du Loup). Post-apocalyptic film from depression-meister Michael Hanaeke. Bloody good, but a bit depressing.

Rogue. Good horror film let down by following horror film conventions. Got Radha Mitchell in it too.

Sherlock Holmes. Generic action film, nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes, really. Character sacrificed for laughs because Holmes is really a bit of a bastard and that won't go down well with cinema audiences now will it.

I agree wholeheartedly, it couldn't have been more generic if it tried. By the way, is it just me or does Downey look like a child of Hugh Jackman and young Al Pacino? :D

Going back in time a bit, I watched The Incredibles over Christmas and had forgotten how good that was. Less big brand names (marginally) and definitely a film they made much more for the parents - and I suspect themselves and their obvious love of superheroes/Bond films - than the kids.

It does puzzle me as well as to why they do the big brand voice actors. All it does is detract from the film for ten minutes whilst I try and work out who each character's voice belongs to, assuming I didn't know before seeing the film.

The Incredibles is one of Pixar's best. I really enjoyed WALL-E, but it sold out by shifting focus away from WALL-E and EVE alone on the deserted Earth (which was great), and then basically turned into Monsters, Inc. for the last third. Dur.

The expense of actors is, AFAI can see, solely to get names associated with it. Fair enough, some adults take notice of this, but some don't, and kids don't. More to the point, it's voice acting, and some actors aren't good voice actors. In short, hire talented voice actors (they do exist, and judging by voice acting in games, they are currently unemployed).

Best worst example of this for me is Finding Nemo. The lady who does the voice acting for the lady fish (can't remember her name, can't be arsed to look it up) is a lesbian, and I was worried throughout the whole film she had an ulterior motive in loving Marlin, as she doesn't like boys. Destroyed the film for me.

I agree about Wall-E. To be honest, I didn't find it all that good or funny (probably because of the switch), except for that part where all the people start rolling down as the ship tilts. I think that was the only time I actually laughed.

I don't pay attention to who does the voice acting, I wouldn't recognize anyone anyway.

The lady fish was Dory.

"Moon", great independent sci-fi movie, starring what's-his-name from "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind". Really nice, no weapons, no swearing, no action. Just classic sci-fi, reminded me a lot of "2001, Space Odyssey". Very enjoyable, europeans retain their ability to make good films, unlike most USAnians.