The Movie Thread

Slaughter

Cop Out. Funny in parts. Kevin Smith struggles with anything that isn't two people talking in a room.

The Losers. Got some good action, but instead of just taking the majority of the comic (which would have worked fine), there's a load of rubbish about sonic dematerialisers, characters swap races for no real reason, and it sort of undoes the attraction of the comic, a kind of outrageous realism where you've got plenty of flash but things still felt gritty, for standard Hollywood fare. A shame.

Hmm, I haven't watched it yet, but something about Last Airbender brings up two words.

Uh.

Oh.

Haven't been keeping close track of this, but was reminded of it when Amazon sent me some recommendations based off my other Amazon purchases (ala the series). Thinking I'd go and sign up for news when it comes out on DVD/Bluray, I ended up reading the customer reviews. After leaving the page, I didn't both to sign up.

Sounds like it's going to be the status quo with most films these days that are based off a smash hit series of some sort. I.e. awesome special effects, pathetic story to go with it.

Oh dear indeed! .

I haven't caught it yet, but has anyone seen the A-Team movie?

- NKF

Management. Now, I do like Steve Zahn, and it was actually a funny film for about half/two-thirds of it, but in reality the sort of persistence shown in these rom-coms would just end up with you being placed on the Sex Offender's register. I can't help but think that the message of "you must keep trying if you really love someone" has been done to death by now, and is reaching unhealthy levels in fiction.

Wow, the reviews really ripped in Last Airbender. I don't recall Lucas ever receiving reviews this bad.

Heck, one of the Rotten Tomatoes reviews says:

It is so bad that not only could Uwe Boll make a better movie than Shyamalan has done here, he already has.

Ouch.

Predators. I'm not going to merely list the things wrong with the film, because I haven't got the time. I will instead just say this: If you cannot top the original film, do not remake it, and do not do a sequel. Take two aspirin, and have a lie down.

That is all.

Zombieland. The story's a little trite, but it has some good laughs, gory violence, a nice looking bird, and Woddy Harrelson as a cock-blocking robot. Well worth a rental, or a purchase if you're a genre fan.

Well, yeah. Great movie, that.

But, well, year back. Inception still isn't out most places, so it felt more thread applicable.

Of course, Zombieland==awesome. Anyone who still doesn't know that?

No helping.

Zombieland. The story's a little trite, but it has some good laughs, gory violence, a nice looking bird, and Woddy Harrelson as a cock-blocking robot. Well worth a rental, or a purchase if you're a genre fan.

That's not a new movie, I demand thread on-topicness! ;)

And yes, it's very nice movie :P too funny to be a real zombie movie, not scary at all, but I enjoyed it very much. I felt the part with Bill Murray was unnecessary.

Alright, alright, I didn't realise it was only for new films! ;)

My past few dozen posts had better be ignored then!

Having now seen Inception, it's well worth a watch. It's overly sentimental, and marred by quite a lot of unnecessary exposition, and doesn't make enough of its big moments, but it is a good film.

• 2 weeks later...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Bloody good! Follows the modern trend for films to be a bit long, but never boring. It's great to see more media from other countries, especially when it's at this standard.

A remake is already in the works.

Yay! >:]

In which case Role Models is worth a giggle. You know it'll turn out alright and some bits are a bit predictable, but the nerdy battles are worth it alone.

Simple, mostly harmless, above average fun for when you don't want to have to use your brain.