Dawn Of War

Aralez

i suck at this game, can't build an army fast enough to fend off attackers but i got the most developed base......is that a problem?

You have to balance the construction of buildings against the development of troops. I like to finish the essential buildings before starting on troops, but in many cases that takes too long. Therefore, as soon as you have the barracks up, build a few spacemarines and increase their size to maximum. And be quick about capturing new strategic points! That's life and death... (I assume you were talking about Dawn of War?)

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A, yeah same time same place!

Slaughter and MunkeyLord u need to wotch the General (aka Kret) in action to appreciate the best tactics to use. I wud say troops wud be your main focus early on, put them on overwatch (right click a units pic) until you population max's out.

U guys are welcome to join me and A for a game whenever, just let us know. Theres no better way to learn the game than to play on-line with a few m8s. :huh:

Yeah, sorry for my bad language :huh: ... But that AI was *#!?äö*#@-ing me really bad :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got pwned ;) (i will turn of my internal swear-word-function from now on ;) )

Kret i don't know if i will "return" to any pre-XP OS again. I have two XPs at the moment oin my PC and they work nicely. (knocks on wood)

Huh, i won two games and lost one and my win quote goes down ?! ;);)

See you on there Slaughter. I will leave it for a while and look in a week or so, mines gone up to £10.50 just for Chaos Gate.... :huh: But good luck and hope you get it ;)

A, it wont update my stats if I use the Demon pic, so I fort I wud use this bird.... ;)

And now ur stats are 0.3% better than mine! DOH!

No when I said Harsh I meant that guy (or gal) asking if they could add us to their friends list and before I cud answer you say no!! Harsh!

;) He asked if the board features a friend-list and if he can add friends there and i said, no, you can't, you have to remember the names or write them down. He even thanked me. It seems your phoning distracted you a bit (or were you e(d)ating a pizza ? ;) ) :lol:

Ahem, btw, the board there has no friends-list, right ? :huh:;)

Poor Kret, in the last game he really was flooded with Eldars. After we fought them back a bit i thought "Yes, done" and hoped i could defend my base a bit but well..... wrong thought.. ;)

yea slaughter the first thing i do is build scouts and workers 1 scout 1 worker 1 scout 1 worker then advance the pop up. at the same time i build a barracks. soon as the scout comes out hes already on the move. when the barracks is done he builds a power. then the other worker pops out and i build some space marines. he runs to the sp and builds a listening point.....maybe i need to build more scouts to start off so i can work on capping more sp areas in a wider span. and not worry bout power till later. i never win but it takes the enemy like 10 minutes to kill me off. took 3 insane comps 15 minutes to finally breach my lines lol....maybe i'm not that bad, but i just need to know when to move out and attack

you guys play the actual table top game? i used to....had like a 6000 point space marine army.......till i got bored one day and me and my buddy played one last game of warhammer......with bb guns lol. it was freakin awesome.....expensive but awesome

Heresy! BB gun on the miniatures! Burn him on a stake!

Sounds fun though! :huh: I used to play Warhammer 40k, but I was never any good at painting. And it took too long with the battles for my taste. Can understand why poeple like it, but it wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

That being said I like the Warhammer universe. Anyone read books from it?

The standard build order is 2 squads and then 1 additional builder. The already existing builder usually is set to build the first unit-building (e.g.barracks for SMarines) the 2 troops usually are directed to the next strategic points and conquer them, the second builder helps finishing the barracks. Then most users build the first boss-unit followed by an squad from the barracks, the builders usually build Listening posts or generators. After that the upgrade building should be built or more troops, depending on your style and the game itself :huh: And after that , well, that's another story...

That being said I like the Warhammer universe. Anyone read books from it?

As some of you might have noticed, I don't seem to play as many games as the rest of you do. One of the reasons why is because I usually try to be in the process of reading a book or two all the time.

Last year or the year before was the Dune Series - the whole load including the new prequel books by the son. I then meandered into the Science Fiction top 25 from various lists of the top 100. I recently finished the Thomas Covenant books and the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy, again.

I have acquired some the Alien vs. Predator Books, and I am looking forward to rereading them. I particulary like the series where the human female joins with the Predators and hunts Aliens.

I have read a bunch of the Babylon 5 Books. The four books about the Shadows by Jeanne Cavelos - The Shadows Within and the Techno-Mage Trilogy - were awesome. You can read those four without reading any of the others and be well rewarded. If you like the Babylon 5 series, the trilogy dealing with the fall of Centauri Prime was okay as well, but not as cool as the Shadow and Techno-mage books. I want to do the four Jeanne Cavelos books over again. Maybe next year.

I'm currently reading "The Stand" by Steven King - the 1200 page unedited full version.

Someday, I would like to get into the Disc World Series, or the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Haven't really been there yet. I did all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy instead. Dabbled in the original Urth of the New Sun series, which I didn't like as much, but still proved kind of interesting.

And, of course, I have been seriously eyeing the Warhammer 40K books. I have got this feeling that they would be right up my alley.

Anyway, with all the books I have read and would like to read, I sometimes can go months at a time without playing computer games - until my game withdrawal pains become so great that I just have to return to the computer for another go.

A new map from me after a long time, i had to do a complete windows re-install (actually two) and several other nasty things happened, but well, here it is:

https://dow.os.101main.com/Preview/Zero.jpg

A small ice-themed map for four players, called "Zero", like in Zero Degree Celsius :lol:

Have fun!

Thx to Kernel for the webspace and the site and to corsix for the logo.

@Lurker: Yeah, I have periods where I play very little games myself. Reason for me is too little time or that I simply go tired of them (like now). As for books I do as you and try to read as much as I can. A bit too much school for me at the moment though.

That being said I'm a big fan of Babylon 5, so I'll look into the books you mentioned. Thanks for the tip! And do tell me how you like AvP! (I've read the comic about that woman, it's great!)

@Aralez: Looking good! I'll try some of your maps when I have time and will to play again :huh:

Shagpuss, Slaughter, i have found the cause of the CTD. It seems that CG tries to look for LAN settings and the Firewall blocks it! I had tried another stair in the 5th mission and it worked, i ran into an ambush, had some losses but after a hard fight i went down to the main target aaaaaand: CTD!!! Argh! :huh: Another hour wasted (I can't save as i'm playing on the hardest setting). Will try with different FW settings now...