Dawn Of War

Aralez

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, link removed, site updated. Does it work now?

Please use the link in my signature and then "jump" to the new site.

Btw, i made a gigantic new map (size 1024x1024, double the size of Somme). It is meant as a small apology to Lurker (because i had deleted the TA stuff) and as a small thanks to Shagpuss for all the feedback! Btw, Lurker the TA stuff is there again.

Here the icon:

https://www.os.101main.com/ufo/Pics/Nurgle_s.jpg

The layout was inspired by the Nurgle banner.

And in theory there's nothing goofy about my new site, it's 99,9 % the old site, i only added the logo and changed the background color. And the old site was a simple text file with an html-ending made with Word. I think the problems you see are:

-AOL

-old files in temporary internet files folder

-lots of traffic thx to Shagpuss' commercial (yep around 100 new readers of the thread since your post, wow!)

Nice replay, A's defenetly the same as he was before. The map is quite nice too, except I didn't see any cover modifying terrain while playing. Is there any? I like cover :(

Just had a game myself at in in F4A mode and Harder AI. The middle to end battles where quite intensive. Have the replay if anyone want's to see me at it as Chaos.

Yes there are the "usual" craters with cover and some negative cover around the point on the mountain top. But otherwise i tried to focus on an "unbiased" game.

Atm i'm playing a match on the giant map. I had to save yesterday and will continue today (it was very late), but as it looks the matches there will take A BIT :( longer if you don't activate Take+Hold or Control Area victory conditions....

I thinl Lurker will like this map, he is a friend of those long battles, just like me. Seems to be a habit back from the TA days, isn't it ?

Have fun! And Kret could you send me the replay ... ?

A, u deserve the credit!

TWICE the size of Somme? EEK!! :( Although think of playing it with the max units mod...... that would kill my computer off! <_<

Any chance of making a defender style map for 3 vs 5? The "defenders" would be up against a mountainside and surrounded by mountains and or trees on each side with cramped building conditions, there would be a several paths in their base which would have craters and negative cover areas at choke points. They would only have a couple of resource points between them.

Whereas the "attackers" would have open plains for building and quite a few more resource points than the defenders.

This would be good for a new game style "Hold the Line". It would be good if certain techs or units could be disabled. So the defenders could only have infantry perhaps.

Kret, i received the replay, thx!

S, that 3v5 map sounds good and the layout sounds o.k., too. What if we make that map together? You could provide the basic layout (heightmap) and i would add textures etc. ? Or vice versa ?

One question regarding my site: Shall i re-add the replay section? What are your opinions? Personally i had the feeling nobody cared for them, but maybe i'm wrong...

I may come out of this sounding lazy, but I haven't the time or knowledge! I had a look at the map tools and fort... ummm ok... :(

As for the replays, unless its a really worthwhile one, I neva have time (notice the re-occuring theme here :cry: )

The upcoming game of 3 vs 1 on your defender map with Slaughter being the "1" would be funny to wotch!! :lol:

Seriously, K how do u think u wud do in that situation? I reckon u wud manage to kill 2 off before ur base was destroyed, or even win !!!

Shagpuss, you're overestimating me mate, the only possible way for that is if I have mostly heavy cover at the only 1 entry point to my base and no "jumpers" made it through plus an advantage in SPs

Aralez, personally I only downloaded if I missed a coop game or there is an interesting replay that I would like to watch. Basically, don't see a reason to restore that section... yet.

Thx for the honest answers, guys! We still can send around replays via mail or i can host them in a temporary folder for some days, should the need arise.

Kret, nice replay! It was cool to see you defending your base against that Eldar attack, at a first glance i thought they got you this time, but your predator arrived just in time, whew. And at one moment you were only 24 seconds from a Take+Hold victory when four cultists arrived and took that point, argh. They surely were trained at the "Shagpuss' University for evil Cultists" :( Later in that game it became a bit confusing to see a Chaos vs. Chaos fight as both armies had a similar look, eek :cry:

Still, it was an amazing thing to see your four defilers rip the enemy infantry into pieces :(

S, i still have to see a victory against 4 HARD AIs on the Defender map. The Standard setting seems to be the maximum for me there. As for the 3vs5 map.... Well i will make one in your spirit , ok ? :( But give me some days....

I tend to disagree with everyone about the replays, but only in one restrictive sense.

If someone is winning the game at the Harder or Insane levels, I personally want to see a replay of it.

Aralez, maybe you could make a rule and start a collection of replays won at the Harder or Insane levels. Those ought to be interesting replays to watch. And, if you were to make an exception to the rule, you could maybe include a few of your most favorite replays won at the Hard level. I occasionally enjoyed watching the replays from those who won at Hard setting. I learn things, sometimes. And, if there are people winning at Harder and Insane, the top two levels, I really think I would like to see those replays.

Lurker, I don't have that replay around, mainly because it was a pre 1.20 replay. But just for you I might go for a game. What map would you like to see the most?

Aralez, when you say 4 AIs, are they teamed or F4A?

Anyway, the replay I sent Aralez was on Harder setting, so I guess it's a candidate for such a section. And yes, when I saw that eldar army marching in I did get a bit nervous about it, but I kept my cool and gathered my forces while some of the buildings where being pounded on. I also called away the heretics and good thing since the HQ was lost. After my forces gathered it all went quite easy, I expected greater losses there, but I guess the eldar army was in bad shape after dealing with a neighbour AI before it assaulted my base. Regarding the chaos battles, yes, I got confused myself and believe game the same colour scheme to the AI than the one I used, or at least a very similar one. Should check the banners and badges during replay and see if it was so.

Here's something interesting I found out during this game. If you lose the HQ but have built a machine cult, you can still build defilers, but no predators. Losing the HQ will result in halting further R&D as it tends to be a prerequisite for many of them.

Alright i will add a new "Best-Of"-folder then. If anyone wants to upload something there, mail! I will look for that replay-manager now, which can read the settings, length, difficulty etc from the files... it may proove useful.

Kret, of course the Defender map should be played against 4 TEAM AI, otherwise it is FAR to easy.

I wonder if i should give a prize to the first beating that map against 4 teamed AIs on insane, a small contest maybe :(

Shagpuss, what if i remake the ingame "Kasyr Lutien" map into a 3 vs.5 version and change the look a bit (according your wishes) ? Of course i need to add lots of choke-points , cover etc....

Kret, there also is another reason to use small squads with the orks: Link

I played Defender on standard 2day but forgot to team them up! I thought it was a bit 2 easy, then I spied two AI's fighting and realised what I had done.... :)

A, I will be guided by your shortly gained and vast experience :)

I thought it will be good for an on-line game when the dream team and me link up again! :)

Hehe, that happened to me, too. I played and built like crazy, always wondering where the enemy was. Duh! :):)

Sooooo, Shagpuss, your requested map is DONE!!! (add trumpets here)

KING LUTIEN

As i'm a bit lazy i will simply copy-n-paste the stuff from my relic-forum thread here :)

A good online-friend requested a 3 vs. 5 player map in the style of my Defender map. Actually a very good idea. So i decided to make it. As we had played several good matches on Kasyr Lutien i remade that map with a "cold-day/winter-theme" and changed the layout a bit and ....:

King Lutien is here ! Thought ONLY for 3 vs 5 matches, be it human or AI players. The host (player 1) starts in the MIDDLE of team 1 so that one player can play with 2 AI allies as well.

Take+Hold, Control-Area etc. all work, but you will need fixed positions to play this map properly!

This map was much fun to playtest, i think you all will like it.

Btw, i changed several errors of the original map, that had LOTS of "walk-through-buildings".

Have fun!!

Here a small thumbnail-pic. As always you can find the map (and a bigger screenshot) on my site.

https://www.os.101main.com/ufo/Pics/King_s.jpg

Oh and the Best-Of-Replays link was added, too. Atm it only contains Kret's Olympus Mons replay, but i think some Defender and King Lutien replays will follow in the next days. Especially the King Lutien map is lots of fun, the AI alllies do strange things sometimes. B)

Shagpuss, i will try to upload my "Defender-training" replay for you asap. I will put it in the Best-Of-Folder.

I got to play DoW on that Nagler or Nurgle map, can't remember the name. Talk about roaming hoards of everyone. I had to relearn to play, since it has been awhile. The comma key cycles through unused troops, and for half the game I fought without any tanks because I couldn't find them and because I forgot all about that key until I pressed it accidentally. It went on forever because I was using infantry for everything and getting creamed.

I finished both single player campaigns for BFME. They were fun enough, but I don't like that game well enough to want to play it in skirmish mode. With most games, I don't find any value in their skirmish mode, but the skirmish mode is the Gem in Dawn of War. Not since Total Annihilation and Starcraft have I enjoyed the skirmish mode as much as I do in Dawn of War.

Lurker, don't let the Chaos God Nurgle hear that you don't remember his name :)

I uploaded a replay on the new map with me and two AI allies on Standard. Boy, what a fight, you'll need a good computer to watch that replay :lol: After fighting back the enemies attacks and slowly getting the upper hand at our home bases i started a counter-attack for the second strategic point (i wanted a T+H victory). I captured it. And then a gigantic fight started, oof! I have seen a lot of fights in DoW, but this one truly was something remarkable.

I wonder if this map is winable on Hard or even more difficult levels.... :o

A u must work like a maniac to get these maps done! Have u got a team of Grotz helpin u out? :) This copuld bve our first map for Thursday if anyone wants to play?

Lurker I was suprised how quickly I had forgot certain things about the game and all Krets teachings had slipped from my mind!

Slaughter good news, but when did I start the original thread on the old board, recommending everyone to buy this game? :)

Shagpuss, don't scare him off, he might prove useful on our thursday meeting (hint, Slaughter, hint) Could turn into a nice 3v5 match on the "KING Lutien"-map then...

Shagpuss, i made a special deal with the Chaos god Nurgle, i sacrifice some cultists to him and did get a new map for that :lol: :)

Slaughter good news, but when did I start the original thread on the old board, recommending everyone to buy this game?  :)

Who said I give a F! about what you think? :) I decided to buy this game the minute I saw the intro and played the demo. But because of some lacking funds and so on it had to wait. I'll kick your rear end for being so rude though :)

@Aralez: I may be ready for that. We'll see when the day arrives.