Dawn Of War

Aralez

I made a go with the Daemon Hunter's mod.

Me against 7AI on Standard. The game went on forever. Seems like I put about six hours into it. Chaos kept raiding the back door.

Some of the stuff in Daemon Mod was still in the straight copied over mode. Hopefully they'll replace some of the original game models with different looking models as time goes by.

--

Aralez:

Thanks for the report on the tyranid mod. I was tempted to download it, but anything to do with the tyranids is looking like vaporware or hot air to me. They are making all of these fancy 2D models, but nothing is making it into the game.

I really think that Relic should have chosen to do the Tyranids in their upcoming expansion. A set of professionally completed Tyranids from Relic would have given the modders some out-of-the-ordinary 3D action models to work with so as to see how it should be done.

I think the Tyranid mod will be the last one to be completed, and I sometimes think that it will never be complete. Supposedly there are two separate Tyranid mods, but not sure if that is true or not.

I think the Necron and the Tau mods are more realistically doable and a bit closer to having something useful.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'nids are a totally alien race, no 2 arms 2 legs standard there. This is definately one that I would love to see!

btw I registered on the Tau website last nite, that has got me excited!

Tau Mod--- Its GOOD!

Guys why don't we post our hopes for the expansion?

I will list 3 I have thought of....

1: Different AI Difficulty Selection in skirmish, not just one difficulty for them all.

2: Co-op missions or mini campaign.

3:Use of experience as in Warcraft 3 (never goin to happen) :huh:

Shagpuss, there is an almost completed mod outthere for the AI, it should be released soon (matter of days i guess). The AI will be stronger, smarter and will use different tactics and upgrades, even turrets and mines. I'm really looking forward to this!

Good race mods that are finished or at least playable:

-Cadian Inquisition (Imperial Guard and Leman Russ from the game) no placeholders and balanced

-The Dance Macabre (An Eldar addon tribe/race)

-Dameonhuntermod (atm ~v.0.6) playable. lots of new models, still some placeholders

Good race mods to be released soon:

-Tau Mod

-NecronMod

-Dark Eldar Mod

(evntually)

As Lurker said, the Tyranids mod looks like vaporware, i don't have a good feeling about it, either.

Regarding the expansion, well i hope they add more stuff (models, skies etc.) for making maps. And maybe an EASY and USEFUL tool to make single-player-campaigns.

The Death Guard mod is nice and balanced, too: Death Guard

It uses resized models, adds Chaos Landraiders and Dreadnaughts etc.

And the Spacehulk-Mod makes huge progress, too!

Aralez, hope you got the replay I sent you. Anyway, I've discovered a couple of technical stuff regarding shared resources in the game:

1) All req generators and power generators give the same ammount of income to both the owner and it's allies in a proportional way. This is contrary to some misconception over at the main forums, that the owner gets a larger portion while it's allies get a lower income.

Eg: 4 allies. What was believed is that the owner got +4, then it's allies got +2 for each power generator, making it a 4 + (2*3) = 10. However the game actually does 3 each so it's 3*4 = 12. This means that generators produce a total power above than it's usual when using shared resources.

2) The previous concept is actually dynamic. This means that when an ally dies, it's part is redistributed to the others. So when in a 4 team one dies, the others have their income increased from +3 to +4 for every generator. And when the 2nd dies the other 2 change to a +6. Not sure about the last one, since when I was finishing it off, it had no generators left.

3) Bonuses for every research for improved power generation is +30% for the 1st level and +45% for the 2nd. I'm assuming it's the same for requisition.

That's all

No, but I've always excelled in maths and still like it, if they teach me properly and not assume things are already known...

Doubt I could tutor anyway, I don't have that kind of patience and what I do know is that for teaching, it's not enough to have the knollege, but also the patience and skill on how to "transfer" that knollege. Thing that most teachers lacked during my school years and many also lack today. But that's another issue

Well, you don't have to tell ME about switching resource sharing to OFF :lol: :huh: I once had a mission with two human allies and..., hey wait i already told that story before... (like 20 times ;) )

Kret, i have the replay, will check it out after this post. If you want i can make it downloadable for the others ?

I finished my first CG mission with Terminators today, i had to cleanse a Chaos chapel and destroy a Chaos Gate. Well... Terminators in CG have their powers, but if the enemy has ranged weapons, you have to be careful or you won't arrive at your target... Luckily this works for the enemy, too.

A, there's no need to ask, any replay I send, you have permission to upload it for others to see.

I've tried the same thing vs Eldar on harder, after several fruitless tries being overwelmed with guardians, banshees, farseers and the odd reaper I lowered it again to Hard. All I can say is that these 2 levels have a huge gap difference on how "good" the AI is.

Vs Hard Eldar I won this time in 1 hour 5 mins. Less than half the previous time. Wonder if I can manage vs Orks and how long would it take.

Kret, I'm speechless! :huh: That has to be the ULTIMATE DoW replay! There were moments were the enemies had 20 (yes, i counted them) defilers in front of your base and you fought off that endless stream of chaos units. I think that the numbers of destroyed defilers must have at least three digits and that is no lie! Lurker, you said you like replays if they are something special, well, here you have one!

Download the replay here

Gosh, all that attacking and counter-attacking, once you had cleared the entry zone of the castle and i thought: Now he will break through, but Boom, you were beaten back into the base by masses of defilers, whew. Shagpuss, you have to see this, too. Kret is truly the general.

Some of the 20 defilers i talked about:

https://www.os.101main.com/ufo/Replay/Kret.jpg

Kret ends the game accordingly (after +2hours of carnage)

https://www.os.101main.com/ufo/Replay/Kret2.jpg

In that 1st screenie, you can see that the AI places a machine cult right in the middle of the gate entrance. This forms a barricade that only infantry can get through. This was a double edged sword since while I only had to deal with infantry and the odd defiler that appeared on it's other side the moment it was destroyed the huge swarm of vehicles behind it would have a free pass into my domain.

Oddly enough, when I did the game with the eldar, they used the same tactic as they placed their vechicle structure right in the same place.

You may notice the webserver not working from time to time in the evenings and weekends. This is because I've started to play some multiplayer games again and the problem comes when someone downloads a file from the webserver while I'm playing. It usualy causes me to lag out of the game. :huh:

Unfortunatly that means my only option is to shutdown the server while I'm playing and start it again when I'm finished. Sorry if that causes any problems.

Just thought I'd let you know.

The Daemonhunter Mod has already been updated! Look here: DoW-Files They removed some of the buildings/researches and tweaked some units. I really like that modupdate.

Shagpuss, make sure you download the patch, otherwise you might be "obsolete" :huh: :lol:

CU (hopefully) Thursday ?!

Edit: Readme added.

Description:

Release Notes Hotfix v0.65

Redesigned Tech-Tree

We got lots of requests to streamline the tech tree. It seems that the amount of possible researches are simply to much for most of the players. Most of the limitations have been removed to allow you to play Online Games with other races.

- We included some researches into the Headquarter upgrade (Tier 1 and 2). So now as soon as you upgrade your HQ to Tier 1 or 2 your units will improve automatically.

1.) Grey Knights Nemesis Force Weapon damage is increased

2.) Grey Knights Space Marine, Inquisitorial and Steel Legion troops health increases

3.) Grey Knights max amount of Weapon Upgrade +1 per Tier

- We removed the Honourable Inquisitor. You will start with a worthy Command unit instead - Inquisitor Lord Coteaz himself.

- Holy Inquisition is no longer needed for the Librarian building. Thus you can start building Chamber Militant (Grey Knights) or Steel Legion Barracks and have weapon upgrades. Well the building itself is no longer needed. The production of units was transferred into the Thunderhawk.

- The Exterminatus Activatus building is no longer needed. The Chamber Militant has been altered to allow Deep-Striking Grey Knights right from the beginning (as mentioned in the codex)

- The Grey Knight Brother Captain is only available as Terminator squad leader upgrade. But cannot be purchased any longer as a "command" unit.

- The Grey Knight Grand Master is necessary to have access to Terminators and Dreadnoughts and Land Raider. But no Relique is required anymore for the Grey Knights, just like it is mentioned in the codex.

- Assault Terminators are no longer available.

- Research for the Assassins is now included in the base price and will be available as the Tier (HQ level) increases.

- The Steel Legion had a hard time. Mainly because they hit nothing due to low accuracy. Well DoW offers the possibility to upgrade units by spending more resources than usually. We did it that way and now the Guard hits 20% better and cost 5 resources more. So now they are nearly as good as Space Marines concerning the accuracy. They still die like flies

Bugfixes

- Thunderhawk Stormbolter Firing Animation was buggy

- Steel Legion Heavy Weapon Team had a looping die animation

- Chimera, Salamander and Rhino could be placed and transported in each other

this is no longer possible

- The GK upgrades made them too strong in the end. The GK are now better in the beginning, but not as powerful as they were once full maxed up

- Squad Leader Upgrades were too expensive, now the cots are calculated correctly

- Acolytes were build too fast, no it takes more time to upgrade them

- Squad Leader had not enough hitpoints, their values has been increased

- Command Platoon is more expensive but has therefore more hitpoints

https://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/59/files2/38047_1.jpg

I'm not sure that the Max Units mod works with the Daemonhunters. And as stated in the readme, you have (basically) three armies to choose from in the Daemonhunters Mod: The Steel Legion, the Grey Knights and the Inquisition. You should plan ahead which one you want to use, that was their idea. BUT i tried everything, too :huh: I was too curious for all that new units ;)