Any general strategies you wanna share?

DoomMunky

Hey there, guys. I'm pretty good at this game, I guess, and really enjoy it, but other than the one FAQ over at GameFAQs, I can't find any other information on general strategies for use in the game... Any tips you'd like to share?

I really like what the FAQ author says about dumping SMGs in favor of rifles, and he describes the use of cover in a useful way, as well.

Lately I've been making full use of my scout as a spotter for my snipers, as intended, and it works really well, especially now that my snipers have pretty good shooting skills and can actually hit things with a fair degree of regularity.

One thing I've never been able to figure out: When an enemy is right around the corner from you, but you can't see him, how do you manuver into position to be able to see and kill him, without just walking around the corner and having him interrupt and fill you full of bullets? What do you all do when faced with this situation? My scouts are good at hiding, but not THAT good, and I can't figure out how to "throw grenades around corners" like the manual says. Any thoughts? Can you draw him out? Make him come around the corner to YOU?

You can still use grenades, but I don't throw them directly to the target as it seems to not be possible in such situations, but right at the corner so the shockwave and some fragments hit the target. The heavier grenades seem to do a great job with just one. It is unfortunate how grenades work really badly in this game tho.

Another option is to go a different way around the situation. And if there's isn't, make one. There's nothing like blasting through walls.

Yeah! Walls suck!

As for grenades sucking, there's a great Low Weight Grenade mod (in the modding forum, I think) that makes them almost TOO powerful. When you can toss them halfway across the map, they're very hard to not use! It is more 'realistic' I think, but it upsets the already messed up balance of this game. There's also a Double Rifle Range mod out there that might make this better...maybe I'll check that out next.

What about my idea of trying to draw them out? Do enemies do stuff like that? In my experience they tend to wait for me to come to them....

What about my idea of trying to draw them out? Do enemies do stuff like that? In my experience they tend to wait for me to come to them....

I tried that sometimes, but if they are dug in they rarely come running. I am currently stuck at this place in S3 where the enemy is too far away to hit properly with grenades, and if I look around the corner I am shot to pieces. There is a way around however.

In this game, the AI can and will camp. This is probably because they "heard" you and they'll rather wait than to head straight into a trap. You could try changing to crawling and move a few paces, I believe this makes them loose track of you since this movement mode seems to be completely silent. Won't always work, but will sometimes. Alternatively, if you have mines, you could plant one really near to the corner without getting spotted and then trying to trigger it with a grenade. The resulting explosion will get rid of the corner, the soldier around the corner and attract a lot of attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way, besides using the Grenade Range mod, to get your grenadier to be really useful in combat? I really only use him in specialized circumstances; flushing guys out, taking down serious health when facing off, or tossing 'nades over the wall at unseen enemies. Any other good stuff for him?

The Grenade Range mod kicks ass, by the way. I really like it, though it almost makes 'nades TOO useful...

Is there a way, besides using the Grenade Range mod, to get your grenadier to be really useful in combat? I really only use him in specialized circumstances; flushing guys out, taking down serious health when facing off, or tossing 'nades over the wall at unseen enemies. Any other good stuff for him?

The Grenade Range mod kicks ass, by the way. I really like it, though it almost makes 'nades TOO useful...

Mr Foozie Bear here,Munky dude were can I get my paws on mods,I am very weak

and I gots to get that double range mod.Also do you ever use the panzerkleins?I have

but nvr use as cant get ammo and there way too slow.

Mr Foozie Bear here,Munky dude were can I get my paws on mods,I am very weak

and I gots to get that double range mod.Also do you ever use the panzerkleins?I have

but nvr use as cant get ammo and there way too slow.

You could try our files section you dufus :D. Seriously though, we have a few mods there. Besides that Munky found a good source for files here.

That guy Ishan (owner of s2mods.tripod.com) posted his site on this or the Nival forums a while ago. I'm just passing it on, yo!

You are very weak? Your characters are? Or do you have a wasting disease?

No, I never use the Panzerkleins. I hate them. I'm going to install the PKMod from the Files section for the next time I play because it doubles their movement speed and downplays some of the restrictions on your soldiers' stats...(man, my cat is running around upstairs like crazy! I can hear her galloping from one end of the house to the other!) ... and, most importantly it halves their armor, making them much weaker, so they have less of an effect on gameplay (being easier to kill, you know). So, you'll have a walking tank but it won't be super tough, and neither will the tanks of the enemies.

Can you guys keep your eyes peeled for a double rifle range mod? I saw one right at the same place where I got the Grenade Range mod, but didn't download it, and now I can't find it again! I got the Grenade Range mod off of some forum. It's not this one, as I've found by searching extensively, or the Nival forum...it was in a post titled something like "New Mod Available -----> Grenade Ranges"...something like that...

• 4 years later...

Old topic, but I ran across a strategy the other day which is quite interesting. Ok, the mission setting is the random encounter with a road down the middle which is flanked on either side with a strip of meadow and a low wood fence. Nighttime too. My main hero is a scout and along with her I have 2 snipers with Lee-Enfields, a grenadier (SMG), a weak engineer (SMG), and a solder with a Lewis MK1. My whole squad is only at L4, but I have been training them in hiding at the end of each mission so they are pretty capable of remaining hidden (most have 30-40 hiding with the exception of the scout which is 60). Not too good I'll admit, but it's better than nothing. :D

I intentionally modded a Silenced & Scoped Mauser M98 into the hands of my scout to see what all the fuss was about. Great weapon, but it's clip size is very small and my Scout probably shouldn't even be carrying it. Well, my squad was spawned on the road at one side of the map while the enemies spawned at the opposite side. For the first round I did nothing but put my troops in stealth mode and spread them out into a "U" formation laying prone on the road. Starting at the top left was my scout, then came the grenadier, the solder, the engineer and finally my 2 snipers. For a few rounds my troops advanced at an excruciatingly slow pace all the time remaining prone and hidden. Finally my scout detected the enemy (group of 3 on the road, one on the other side of the fence). Wanting to test this silenced Mauser thingy out, I had my scout fire a sniped shot at an enemy. It hit, but didn't kill. Next turn. The enemy now knew something was fishy so the group of three Germans advanced on my general position. I did nothing. They advanced some more, crouched. Finally I started to get worried that my troops would get spotted since the enemy was nearly right on top, so I had to act. My grenadier and engineer opened up with SMG fire killing one and injuring another. The soldier used his Lewis to injure the other enemy. Then my snipers picked off one of the injured Germans, while my scout finished the other with a stab from the combat dagger for 73 hitpoints. The remaining German standing in the meadow was easily polished off with a few shots from my 2 snipers and another stab from my scout who was hidden along the fence.

So my long-winded point here is that silenced weapons will alert the enemies to your location when they are shot. If your troops are positioned properly and hidden, just let the enemy advance until they are within the lions mouth, then let loose with machine gun fire and snipes from point blank range. Thinking back, perhaps a "J" formation would have been a better choice since it reduces the chance of the scout being caught in a crossfire but then again, nobody was hurt on this mission.

Any of you use this approach? Seems like a pretty sound strategy to me assuming your troops can remain hidden at night and you have a silenced weapon to play with. :laugh: This approach will probably work with throwing knives too, so if you don't have a silenced weapon yet this is an option to consider. It just means you will have to get closer to the enemies to toss a knife. :D

- Zombie

in hiding at the end of each mission so they are pretty capable of remaining hidden (most have 30-40 hiding with the exception of the scout which is 60). Not too good I'll admit, but it's better than nothing. :laugh:

Not too good? Yikes! My axis crew are L4 too, and have 18-33 hide skill...

My old endgame sniper Zinaida has Hide 55 at level 14, and is best at it in that group :D .... yes, we were a bit of a loud gang.

And a rather late-game sniper main character on the axis side from a friend's game has Hide 48.

So 60 is totally brilliant at this stage.

Not too good? Yikes! My axis crew are L4 too, and have 18-33 hide skill...

My old endgame sniper Zinaida has Hide 55 at level 14, and is best at it in that group :) .... yes, we were a bit of a loud gang.

And a rather late-game sniper main character on the axis side from a friend's game has Hide 48.

So 60 is totally brilliant at this stage.

Wow, well I guess I'm doing pretty good then. :) Here's my squad's hide stat right now (most just switched over to L5):

Name	   Class	 Hide
Katya	  Scout	  62 (Hero)
Nessie	 Grenadier  27 (Newer addition to the squad)
Gator	  Soldier	36
Arvid	  Sniper	 50
Viper	  Sniper	 50
L.A.	   Engineer   35

I'm surprised more people don't train the hide stat. It's really easy to do, just select the whole group at the end of a mission, then keep clicking on the hide button (usually only lets you do this 2 times), then end the turn. Rinse and repeat. I don't train this stat after every mission though, I usually allow my squad to go on a couple missions to raise their stats first. Otherwise you'll do a lot of clicking for very little improvement. With your squad's high stats, you should be able to train the hide skill very quickly in a few missions time. :)

Even with a hide stat of 62, my scout still gets noticed sometimes. So a constant training regimen is the key to keep everyone hidden and safe. Of course, some peeps are better in hiding than others so you'll have to give those guys more opportunities to kill enemies to reach a higher level before training. :)

- Zombie

Heh. I just had a secret police type guy run away from my grenadier (hiding really isn't his thing, getting it past 20 will take ages), straight past the sniper at 1 step range on an open lawn without seeing her. ("Let's see, Bergmann, 1 step back to be able to shoot... peekaboo, Mr. Secret Policeman" *blamblamblam*)

So 33 hide seems to be good for something, at least. :)

Any non-suicidal strategies for interrupt training, anyone? I'm having trouble coming up with one.

Plaguing a lone officer carrying just a Nagant/TT seems to be my best bet. At night, in bushes, preferably.

Train interrupt? I don't know about you Knan. :)

I don't try to intentionally put my troops into an interrupt situation unless absolutely necessary. Usually I keep all the APs for a soldier (like in X-COM) and hope that is enough to turn the tide in my favor. Have no idea if it really helps, but it can't hurt. :)

- Zombie

Just as an analog to x-com reactions training. My L4 scout definitely needs to if he is to survive much longer, he's had to be carried out of many a mission and got little experience from them :)

(granted, breaking down the door may have tipped the tommy off that something was up that could bear armed investigation)

Here's something I just found out that is probably obvious to most players but should be useful to newbies:

Say your gun is running low on ammo and you don't want to continue on without a fully loaded weapon. As long as you have spare ammo in your backpack and enough APs, simply click on the ammo square next to the weapon. That will "top off" the ammo for you without running out at an inopportune time. How I wish I would have realized this when I first started playing, could have got me out of many a jam. :)

- Zombie

So in that regard - on the axis side - if you want to use the M1911 pistol but have ammo problems, just pick up magazines for the M3A1 the tommies carry from time to time. Several reloads from one magazine. :)

/me is having a bit of PPD envy at the moment, but it'll pass.

So in that regard - on the axis side - if you want to use the M1911 pistol but have ammo problems, just pick up magazines for the M3A1 the tommies carry from time to time. Several reloads from one magazine. :)

Yeah, there are a few weapons like that where you can acquire ammo from the enemies even though the clip is not specifically designed for it. I like using the MAS36 Rifle because you can pick up and use enemy Chatellerault ammo. As a plus the Chatellerault's ammo takes up less space than the MAS ammo so it's a win-win. The only problem is that the MAS isn't scoped... Bah. If you find a Mauser weapon you like to use on the Allies side, there are plenty of rifles that the Axis have which can supply reloads on the battlefield. That's nice if you want to train shooting at the end of a mission. (I modded a MG34 MG into my inventory, not to use but to convert all the Mauser rifle clips into a giant 50 or 75 round drum... there are two varieties of MG 34, but I'm using the second variant which carries 75 rounds. Gave Abala one of these drums along with his Scoped and Silenced Mauser 98 and he's all set for the next 5-10 missions). :)

/me is having a bit of PPD envy at the moment, but it'll pass.

PPD? Or do you mean RPD? Not sure where I found my RPD. Must've been on a mission, but I don't recall which one. But I have been adding items with that "getitem" command so it might have leaked into my games inventory somehow. It's not the best MG though, it just has a lot of rounds in it's drum. If you are playing the Allies, the game automatically resupplies the drums in your inventory too, which means I don't have to scrounge for ammo anymore. :) The Lewis MK1 is still a great MG though as it allows my Lee-Enfield snipers to use ammo from it too. The RPD unfortunately has unique ammo which cannot be used anywhere else so I'm considering dropping it for the trusty Lewis again. :)

- Zombie

Hmm. Seems you got the scoped, silenced 98k early. Lucky :)

Yep, the russian PPD. Huge magazine and 4 rate of fire - I really like that SMG for door-to-door fighting. Then again, there are goodies to come on that front on the axis side as well.

The 50 round MG34 isn't really in-game. The 75 round is the real one. Ahmed is looking forward to grabbing one. (and the MG42 later)

The PPD-40 or Pistolet-Pulemyot Degtyaryova. (Bottom)

https://warrelics.eu/forum/military_photos/ussr-paper-items-papers-photos-ids-posters-other-propaganda/7381d1233048125t-soviet-paratroopers-early-ppd-submachine-gun-ppd-38_40.jpg

Hmm. Seems you got the scoped, silenced 98k early. Lucky :)

I suppose you could call it that. :) Nah, I edited the 98K in for my scout to try out. She didn't like it, so it was passed on to Abala to try (he's supposed to be a good sniper/rifleman). So far he's doing a really good job with it. And his stats (L5) are rivaling the 2 L6 snipers on my team. So he is a good sniper/rifleman right now. Only time will tell if he can keep up.

Yep, the russian PPD. Huge magazine and 4 rate of fire - I really like that SMG for door-to-door fighting. Then again, there are goodies to come on that front on the axis side as well.

The 50 round MG34 isn't really in-game. The 75 round is the real one. Ahmed is looking forward to grabbing one. (and the MG42 later)

Ah, I didn't see the PPD in the list. Haven't ran across it yet either. (Thanks for the pic, Kiz :)). Hopefully I'll start to run across some more interesting items soon. That Big Joe pistol was a great find and an awesome weapon for my scout since the explosion it produces extends only 1 meter out. The big problem is the lack of ammo. Wish I could manufacture stuff like in X-COM, otherwise I'd have all my resources on pumping out vast quantities of those darts. :)

I was a little confused with the MG34 since there are 2 in the item list with exactly the same names, but one has a 50 round drum while the other is 75. Thanks for clearing up which is found in-game. Glad to know it the one with the bigger drum! :)

- Zombie