Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

When I tested in skirmish they could have fire as far as they could see.

Yeah, I can't find anything regarding range on the ruleset so there shouldn't be a limit other than the arcingShot property but that has been also changed IIRC to ignore the 4 level height when throwing items in the open. The Celatid will still be limited while firing inside UFOs or buildings though.

This is the reason you don't use the side radar bases as Elerium storage...

triple_facepalm.png

Plus an extra facepalm for the spelling mistake. tongue.png

https://www.facepalm.su/wp-content/gallery/startrack-facepalm-2/startrack_facepalm-5.jpg

If you wouldn't have got so distracted with killing with the Rocket Launcher, you would have pulled it off. Base Defense tips:

• Keep a tank at each base no matter if you are going to use it for missions
  • Make sure you have armor for your troops
  • Clean up your base stores just before an impending retaliation - if you can't handle it for some reason, transfer stuff out
  • Keep weapon selection light. Only have enough of your best guns for everyone plus a clip and a grenade. That's it. (Maybe a Stun Rod or two for this game).
  • If you run short of ammo, scavenge off corpses. Typically though you will not need to reload with the Heavy Plasma or Plasma Rifle.
  • Use the "Buddy System". Never hole up in a room with a lone soldier, make sure he has a friend to cover his back.

And above all: utilize good base building techniques. There should only be one base facility attached to the Access Lift (I'd argue for the General Stores as it builds fast, holds tanks and has double-width doors). Imagine a "T" with Hangars along the top, an Access Lift below that and a General Stores under that. This is your "choke point". An even better build is to place the Access Lift along one edge of the base so that the aliens will have to filter through all the Hangars to get into the base "proper". smile.png

- Zombie

SKIPPING PLASMA CANNON FOR BUNCH OF CORPSES WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SKIPPING UFO CONSTRUCTION -> AVENGER FOR BUNCH OF CORPSES WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who are you and what have you done with the good Nook. You did UFO construction later but come on. Corpses are not that important. There are more important things.

Oh my, that's a lot of caps no2.gif

Corpses are not that important. There are more important things.

There's a chance corpses will give me something interesting, and they're so quick I can clean out my alien containment with the live ones. I don't know if there's some sort of specific order for things, that's the reason I'm sorta researching them in an order.

If you wouldn't have got so distracted with killing with the Rocket Launcher, you would have pulled it off.

I'm going to pull up the save and try that one again, I thought for sure I was done for until I managed to grab that Heavy plasma. I had a glimmer of hope for second, until they started walking in the rooms. With that being such a small base it's going to be rough, with them standing in Muton swarms and all, but I think I could get it with a bit of luck and less suicide with rifles...

Who are you and what have you done with the good Nook.

Wait... who we talking about again? ;)

There's a chance corpses will give me something interesting, and they're so quick I can clean out my alien containment with the live ones. I don't know if there's some sort of specific order for things, that's the reason I'm sorta researching them in an order.

You don't need to throw everything and the kitchen sink at corpses and live ones though. Put 75-80% of your scientists on the "core" topics, and use the remainder for alien research. That way you'll still make progress on the important items while slowly cleaning out your AC. It's a win-win. wink.png

For the original game I never did this. Since I knew the research tree like the back of my hand, I could allocate scientists to the topics which would yield the most. It's only when I would run out of viable topics would I put scientists on alien research. And then I'd put only about 10 scientists on as many alien topics I could. This took a while, but the nice thing is that all of the topics would end within a day of each other. And if you are a freak about micromanaging, you can throw scientists from completed alien topics on other ones which are about to finish to knock out about 3-4 topics in rapid-fire sequence. smile.png

I guess the overall point I'm trying to make is that you have to determine what is more important at each step in the research process. Are mutons more important than plasma cannons or the Avenger? dntknw.gif I'd wager on the latter because at this point you don't know exactly what the alien research will unlock, right? sarcastic.gif

- Zombie

Even though interrogations are a bit more vital in this mod, I'd recommend setting them aside for a moment and going for the Plasma Cannon as well. Since the topic is available to research, it's practically in hand. Whereas the value of the live aliens and corpses are as yet unknown.

I wouldn't worry about the plasma cannons blowing up elerium in the UFOs. Assuming OpenXcom uses the same method of map generation and randomly blows up the power units at the time the map is generated, the results will be the same as they are with your avalanche missiles. Plasma cannons open up the option of shooting down bigger ships. Since they have more power units, you have a better chance at recovering intact power units from them than with the smaller ships.

I think you also had the option to start research on your new ships. That may be the path towards the Flying Suits.

Also let Rio be a lesson in taking the time to outfit your auxiliary bases with decent gear. You can spare the Heavy Plasmas. wink.png Except for the elerium you lost, it was thankfully one of those easy-to-replace bases.

- NKF

I guess the overall point I'm trying to make is that you have to determine what is more important at each step in the research process. Are mutons more important than plasma cannons or the Avenger? dntknw.gif I'd wager on the latter because at this point you don't know exactly what the alien research will unlock, right? sarcastic.gif

I see your point, my thinking was to see if the mod has anything new and exciting from the alien research. I could rush through this, grab the end game tech and win it, but I want to make sure I'm not missing any new stuff. After all, the point of this LP is to explore the mod.

Having said that, grabbing things like the plasma cannon and flying suits first is probably a better idea.

Although, you probably could have come away with a couple more soldiers not on the memorial list there wink.png

It was a bit bloody, of the 7 though 4 were no name rookies and Ripley was a terrible soldier. I'm just bummed about Silencer and Proberoo, they had both been around a while.

I beleive Mr. Nook has earned the privilege of having 100 deaths video. I know SV is due one long time ago, but I'm sort of feeling soft for him. But for Mr. Nook I think I will not make exception if that chance happens.

Mr. Nook has learned the way to live longer... hide out in the base and avoid going on missions at all costs

The Muton commandos haven't really grown on me, but I agree the inclusion of the Angry Redshirt from the intro is most pleasing indeed. The numbers might need some tweaking though. Having multiples on Battleships or Terror Ships makes sense, but 4 on a Large Scout feels like they're over managing their troops.

- NKF