Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

50 episodes and I ALMOST have heavy plasma, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IcwSaVxmH0

NKF is right about the sniper and heavy cannon, I think they're done for. Once the Heavys come in I'll probably load up a few of the crew with them and most others with the rifles, and still keep at least a couple rockets (I've grown accustomed to them)

I would think the side door would be nice to have, as long as it closes each turn like the triton. It gives an extra option in case someone is looking at the ramp to pop someone out and get some shots off. Reaction fire would only be an issue if you walked out of it.

50 episodes and I ALMOST have heavy plasma, lol

I must say that I'm impressed on how you were able to take on the aliens for so long using only conventional weapons. And to endure 100+ KIAs on a single campaign without giving up. grin.gif

I'm actually considering to change the settings for the next version so that it will usually take longer to get laser weapons due to your success so far. But the player will still be able to recover upgraded conventional weapons to make up for it.

I haven't seen him dying in a long time.

He's in there somewhere, he might be stuck with the nurses though.

I must say that I'm impressed on how you were able to take on the aliens for so long using only conventional weapons. And to endure 100+ KIAs on a single campaign without giving up. grin.gif

This is my new Xcom motto... "How long can I last without giving up :D "

I'm actually considering to change the settings for the next version so that it will usually take longer to get laser weapons due to your success so far. But the player will still be able to recover upgraded conventional weapons to make up for it.

It's actually been a lot of fun having to deal with these weapons for so long. And by having that slow buildup of weapons tech it makes it that much sweeter everytime you get one researched. I even think adding a few extra techs between the plasmas might be nice, as it is now (as with the original) you just skip through the pistol and rifle to get to the heavy.

It's actually been a lot of fun having to deal with these weapons for so long. And by having that slow buildup of weapons tech it makes it that much sweeter everytime you get one researched. I even think adding a few extra techs between the plasmas might be nice, as it is now (as with the original) you just skip through the pistol and rifle to get to the heavy.

On Redux you actually need to research first plasma pistol then plasma rifle then heavy plasma, unlike vanilla.

The key issue with the plasmas is when you capture the alien Scientist - if you are lucky you can get an alien mission with that rank right on February and then you can focus on plasma first instead of lasers, although you'll want to eventually get lasers because of the Laser Sniper RIfle, which an upgraded Heavy Laser with XComUtil's stats.

I'm thinking of adding a couple more tech steps but for armor rather than weapons.

On Redux you actually need to research first plasma pistol then plasma rifle then heavy plasma, unlike vanilla.

That's right, I had forgotten they all popped at the same time on vanilla.

I'm thinking of adding a couple more tech steps but for armor rather than weapons.

Require a chryssalid for personal armor or power suits, make the player work for it ;)

Require a chryssalid for personal armor or power suits, make the player work for it wink.png

Yeah my idea is to have either Personal Armor or Power Suit require a Muton corpse. Corpses should play a bigger role actually, since there will also be a Poison ammo for the Small Launcher that requires a Celatid corpse.

Just randomly quoting Hobbes post so he'll see this if he has quote notifications enabled. tongue.png

So, I just watched Neptune's latest Episode (52) and noticed something I saw a bunch of times before. Why the %#&! are there door sounds during the alien turn when it's obvious that they either cannot possibly get to a door, are dead or are panicking? Are you just running a "open/close door" routine during the alien turn willy-nilly just to throw people off on how many aliens are left? If it's not intentional, please fix this. It seems it's just UFO doors that are in this routine though, not terrain doors. If you want an example of this, see the end of the mission in Episode 52, you hear door sounds even though the remaining alien is in a state of panic, and then you hear a door sound after the last alien is killed and just before the EOM report screen is shown. In Episode 51, Neptune wasn't able to get to a landed "enemy" Skyranger again. Why do they take off so fast? Either let them remain landed longer or give them a few more "land" commands before they fly off for good so that you are able to eventually get to them. Also, if you turn off panic/berserk notifications, you can still hear (and sometimes see) the shots fired by the aliens. You should really turn that off too, no? dntknw.gif Or just "mask" the rank of the alien from showing up but leave the notification.

--------------------

@Neptune: well, it's a little easier breathing now that you have the Heavy Plasma researched. Don't get complacent though, aliens are just as vicious. One of these days you are going to have to go after a Battleship or an alien base and those bugs should have blasters. Did you ever recover a Mind Probe? It would be nice to see the aliens stats + rank for your stun crew. yes.gif

- Zombie

@Neptune: well, it's a little easier breathing now that you have the Heavy Plasma researched. Don't get complacent though, aliens are just as vicious. One of these days you are going to have to go after a Battleship or an alien base and those bugs should have blasters. Did you ever recover a Mind Probe? It would be nice to see the aliens stats + rank for your stun crew. yes.gif

It's so nice having the heavy plasmas now, not having to rely so heavily on the rockets. I'll enjoy the ease for now, those blasters will surely be ruining my day before long. Speaking of, I can't believe I haven't spotted a base yet. It may be something with the mod but I always thought there was at least one guaranteed spawn sometime around June/July.

I know I have some Mind probes around but I'm not sure if they're able to be researched, same with the small launchers. I'll have to check next time I get in there.

If I can see the alien then the popup still appears, it only removes it for those I don't have vision on, and I'm pretty sure the berserk aliens shots is an OpenXcom thing, not a Hobbes/mod thing. I think it still makes sense to see/hear it though, just because I no longer know who is going berserk doesn't mean I can't hear them firing off a weapon. It would make sense that I couldn't hear inside the ship but that might be a bit much to code in.

And here's #52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMWeEi8EIP4

Just randomly quoting Hobbes post so he'll see this if he has quote notifications enabled. tongue.png

So, I just watched Neptune's latest Episode (52) and noticed something I saw a bunch of times before. Why the %#&! are there door sounds during the alien turn when it's obvious that they either cannot possibly get to a door, are dead or are panicking? Are you just running a "open/close door" routine during the alien turn willy-nilly just to throw people off on how many aliens are left? If it's not intentional, please fix this. It seems it's just UFO doors that are in this routine though, not terrain doors. If you want an example of this, see the end of the mission in Episode 52, you hear door sounds even though the remaining alien is in a state of panic, and then you hear a door sound after the last alien is killed and just before the EOM report screen is shown.

The UFO door sounds come from the doors getting closed before the alien turn is activated (you have the sound when opening them and also when they close). This is OpenXCom behavior, has nothing to do with Redux.

In Episode 51, Neptune wasn't able to get to a landed "enemy" Skyranger again. Why do they take off so fast? Either let them remain landed longer or give them a few more "land" commands before they fly off for good so that you are able to eventually get to them.

The enemy transport planes are designed for the player to have a brief window to assault them since they are mainly used to transport human passengers from A to B, not jumping from one location to another like the aliens. It is quite possible to get to them, if you detect their approach and have Skyrangers nearby. Otherwise, if you detect it already landed it's impossible to reach it on time unless you're using a Lighting or Avenger.

Also, if you turn off panic/berserk notifications, you can still hear (and sometimes see) the shots fired by the aliens. You should really turn that off too, no? dntknw.gif Or just "mask" the rank of the alien from showing up but leave the notification.

This is not related to Redux but to OpenXCom (btw, I'm not an OXC developer so feedback to me about the game engine won't change anything). But if your soldiers can hear and see the shots it makes sense that you can as well, no?

OpenXcom most likely implements things differently, and rather than instantly changing the state of the doors from open to closed, probably runs the same routine for opening and closing doors when a unit toggles them. So we get the door closing sounds. A little misleading for those used to the original, but makes sense once you work out what's happening.

Also, about disabling the panic/berserk notifications: In the original you can still hear aliens going berserk even when you don't get the notification. If these were disabled, then it probably only disables the messages you get.

- NKF

I think it's a good time to take a moment to think back on your Battleship disaster in your first X-Com LP. Now look at this one. Yep.

For both this one and the last Medium, those brilliant multi-kills you got early on really helped. That set the rest of the Floaters on edge.

Incidentally, the silacoid's the bubbly rock thingy. It burns the ground as it moves. The Bio Drones from TFTD borrowed this effect. The Celatid's the pink kidney beans that fire an arcing acid attack. Short firing range, but instant death to anyone in basic jumpsuits.

- NKF

NKF, with OpenXcom you can throw away short range of celatid. Unless they have change it back, celatid in OX should not have arc'ed fire line or they have adjusted the arc so the longer the range the lower the arc.

It's not the 5 or so range anymore? What kind of range do they have now?