Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

Me to ermm.gif Like most people I'm not a fan of my own recorded voice but I was finally starting to get used to it, now it's changed and it doesn't seem quite right. I know the sound quality is 100 times better and comparing it to my oldie is huge, but something about it seems off. I'm actually borrowing this one from a friend but I've ordered one as well and should have it in before too long. I'll have to spend some time tweaking it once it shows up.

You sound like if you were recording in a studio or something and there is sometimes a background stutter or throbbing. Even still your voice is still better than mine, when I was trying to record using my headset. And I always run away and hide when I hear it.

Out of curiosity, can you tell us what model you are using now and what have you ordered?

Nice use of grenade relays, you really impressed me on how well your strategy improved. Posted Image

I still think Nook here relies on grenades way too much.

I think this is my biggest issue so far in openxcom. I finally have the hang of using the "run" option, but I do it too much causing energy to plummet. I don't pay attention to the stamina bar until its out and my operative is standing in the open.

Yeah, you should be walking 95% of the time. The run is handy when you absolutely need to get somewhere fast (like making a mad dash to cover, getting to the UFO, or stunning/shotgunning). Running all the time just eats up energy so that when you absolutely need to run you are out. happy.png

Concerning interceptions: I just watched your most recent video (46) and remembered that Very Small UFOs have incredible acceleration which means you need an aggressive attack to even get a shot in (they can still outrun your shots but not always). They don't have weapons so you can get as close as you want/need. The larger UFOs don't have decent acceleration so you are safer using a normal attack. (Plus they shoot back). tongue.png

What other weapon option did he have available that does decent damage though? Large Rockets, sure, but it has limited ammo capacity and not everyone can carry enough due to the weight. Honestly, OpenXcom plays more like TFTD and if the Sonic Pulser was the Great Equalizer™ there, it'll work here as well (and it does). Neptune just wouldn't have had enough firepower (& accuracy) to take down all the aliens on a larger mission had it not been for alien grenades. Now that he has the Plasma Rifle (and Heavy Plasma is on the way) the alien grenades aren't as necessary. But they are a good asset to have when an alien is in cover or there are aliens on multiple levels. wink.png

- Zombie

Out of curiosity, can you tell us what model you are using now and what have you ordered?

I normally use an old logitech headset, the H390. Just a cheapo I got for my old WoW / EVE days.

What I'm borrowing and have ordered is the Blue Yeti https://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002VA464S

I don't think I use them enough. There aren't any 3 grenade taking Lobstermen here, other than Mutons & Chysallids they're pretty much a guaranteed kill.

Here's #46 btw... I manage to miss a very good opportunity at grabbing one of the Merc/Cultist missions... oy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8IJrWr_DK0

You could just hang onto the funds for now. Otherwise if you have any spare base slots left, build some spare listening posts to fill gaps or get a spare interceptor armed with just cannons for those enemy Skyrangers.

You could also start thinking about downsizing the main base slightly by moving some facilities out like manufacturing. That function can be moved to your second base for example.

- NKF

Some notes I made...

Episode 47

Your Smoke Grenade tactics are kinda sloppy again. Instead of dropping the smoke grenade to the ground by the ramp (8 minute mark), you threw it between the Muton and your squad. Remember that in order for smoke to be totally effective and give you the upper hand, your soldiers need to be standing in it while the alien isn't. If both you and the alien are standing inside the same cloud, then neither have the upper hand - you have to search out the alien and hope it doesn't shoot back. The worst case is if the alien is standing inside a cloud of smoke and you are not (that's what happened by the UFO, not your fault because the PS explosion) because then the aliens gain the upper hand. Xavis died because the Muton was in the smoke while he was not. Same deal with the smoke grenade Hesha threw (at ~16 minute mark). Don't throw it out in the fog of war somewhere, keep it over your troops and camp out in the cloud. Let the aliens come to you.

Here we go again with the low energy levels due to running all the time. Xavis' death could have been prevented by not running him so far ahead that he was out of energy. You have to remember that with your never ending revolving door of recruits that they will have low stamina. If you had troops which had been around longer and gained some experience in stamina then those would be better suited for running since they will not run out as fast. But recruits need to be babied a bit, so just use walk with them. I know I mentioned this spiel a few posts before, so pardon me if you improved your tactics already but the videos aren't up. Question: Typically, how many videos do you record at a sitting? Say for instance I give you a piece of advice, how many episodes before it could potentially show up if you feel really inclined? assassin.gif

Episode 48

You started with a new race of aliens and seemed to initially forget all the strategy you know so far: dump the smokers on turn 1 and just ignore the aliens. Nope, you had to engage them and 2 soldiers get killed. When you did get smoke outside the ship, it was too far off to the ramp side (to the East) to obscure your soldiers when they exited the ship. You could have worked around this by deploying troops more into the smoke. If you start out carefully, deploy into the smoke cloud and set up a ever-widening perimeter this should have went better. Nobody is forcing you to shoot at every alien the turn you see it - properly set up your line first, then engage. Shots from within a smoke cloud don't draw reaction fire if the alien can't see the shooter.

Medi-Kit usage was a little sloppy as well. If a soldier gets hurt and needs medical attention, run him/her to the medic if conscious. If you can't make it to the medic in a turn, then run the medic to the soldier and meet them. Only run the medic after the injured has moved though. This maximizes the number of heals/stims you can inject per turn. As for the actual process of healing, if you need to heal someone do it as early in the turn as possible. If you need to patch someone up via a Medi-Kit relay, do this early as well because then everyone will have a lot of TU. Make sure it's safe to do so first! Oh yes, if you can't be bothered to stop running all the time, be aware that stim shots will improve stamina/energy levels. jester.gif

I think one of your issues was being too focused on capturing a new alien. Yes, getting live aliens is more important in this game, but you can't just ignore decent strategy and mindlessly aim for that singular objective the whole mission. (Well, in a way you can - you just have to plan for it).

Once the LZ was safe this is what I would have done:

1. Set up a line inside the cloud facing the ship with a couple snipers, one or two grenadiers and a forward scout. Hold that line at all costs. Redeploy smoke if it thins out. Spot, but do not engage any enemies unless they advance to your troops. If that happens, let 'er rip.
  2. Circle around the map and kill any aliens you see with the majority of your squad.
  3. If this is successful, you'll only have aliens inside or near the ship left. These will most likely be higher ranking, so go for the gusto here and whip out those stun rods.
  4. Try to find a location on the side of the UFO where there isn't a door or alien activity, and advance about 3-4 soldiers with stun rods there. If you have more soldiers with stun rods get them along the opposite side. What you want to do is camp out on either side of a door with an equal amount of soldiers with rods. Spot with your spotter in a smoke cloud. Everyone not taking place in the stun-fest should be in cover and not facing the alien ship - just in case they get an itchy trigger finger and shoot an alien with Rx fire.
  5. If an alien pops it's head out and stays there, get your spotter to see which way it's looking, and use the guys from the back side to stun first, then use the front side soldiers next (if necessary).
  6. Once an alien is incapacitated, get back to your proper side and hunker down again. Wait until you hear doors opening and start #5 all over again.
  7. Don't need any more live aliens or are you getting sick of waiting? Either get your shotgunners ready or prepare to bum rush the remaining holdouts with stun rods. Getting aggressive like this can result in more soldier deaths so you have to weigh the costs. I prefer to err on the side of caution and wait the aliens out, but I know your playstyle is much different from mine.

Using Watercress (who was the only soldier with a plasma rifle on this mission) as a scout was a big mistake. You basically took this firepower off the map completely. The plasma pistol guy should have been the scout (or any of the myriad of other troops carrying cannons). Don't forget that you can scavenge more plasma rifles off alien bodies if you are short. Plasma Rifles are meant to be shot from a distance so you should really give these to your soldiers who have higher FA. yes.gif

- Zombie

Sorry I'm a bit slow to post this today, here's #48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmMXbYmpjww

I think going for the stun hurt me a bit here, I still REALLY wish I had gotten one. Hopefully these folks show up again before to long.

Now THAT is detailed analysis.

Lol, where to begin...

dump the smokers on turn 1 and just ignore the aliens.

If I start off the map like this where I have one looking straight at me, is dropping the stun grenade the wiser action? I always fear it won't be enough smoke and I'll get shot (or grenaded). This is why I usually go for the initial shot. It's time like these I miss the Triton, why can't the skyranger have a door!

Don't forget that you can scavenge more plasma rifles off alien bodies if you are short

This, I don't do enough of... Those cannons were not very effective and the rockets weren't too helpful in my capturing/gear attempts, I really needed a long range rifle guy (Watercress could have had that job if I'd positioned him better, but I was thinking it would be better served up close since it was one of the few non-explosive weapons) You're right though, standing him back with the rockets would have been a much better way of using him.

I think one of your issues was being too focused on capturing a new alien.

Yup, I was trying to hold off on throwing all the rockets in so I could grab one, but I ended up bringing folks in too close putting them in danger without a safe, long range backup. Luckily the losses were low, but I still didn't get my capture.

Oh yes, if you can't be bothered to stop running all the time, be aware that stim shots will improve stamina/energy levels. jester.gif

Lol, that may be my solution, shoot em up with steroids every few turns. (sounds like a good job for a med-kit carrying Jimmy)

Question: Typically, how many videos do you record at a sitting?

It varies, I usually do 2 or 3 at a time. I've noticed the more I do at one sitting the more stupid mistakes I make so I limit myself to a max of 3 at one time ;) . I recorded these past 3 (46,47,48) last Friday and I don't have any more done yet, I'll probably do 2 or 3 more tomorrow night.

I brought up the running because I had just edited these last couple and noticed it.

Some notes I made...

This is why I love SC biggrin.png

Errr... you got a save of that? I think that there might be a bug involved..

I don't have a very close one actually, I always save before I start each part but I forgot to this time. closest I have is the battlescape turn 5 (autosave) or back about 11 days.

I don't have a very close one actually, I always save before I start each part but I forgot to this time. closest I have is the battlescape turn 5 (autosave) or back about 11 days.

Battlescape turn 5 will do nicely, thanks. It's not actually a bug, what I think happened was that the game triggered a Retaliation mission with a human faction (I'm not sure actually which crashed/landed UFO was their craft - either I missed it during the last month or something is odd) and there seems to be a mishap with the ranks (that's why you captured a "Commander"). I knew that this was possible but so far I had never encountered this on my testing. This isn't a critical issue though,

It varies, I usually do 2 or 3 at a time. I've noticed the more I do at one sitting the more stupid mistakes I make so I limit myself to a max of 3 at one time wink.png . I recorded these past 3 (46,47,48) last Friday and I don't have any more done yet, I'll probably do 2 or 3 more tomorrow night.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll hold off ragging on you till Thursday then. tongue.png

Now you listen to Zombie, because he doesn't have far to come and introduce you to his pet pal The Chryssalid wink.png

Oklahoma is a pretty good haul from Wisconsin, I might be able to make it if I drive 24 hours straight (I drive slow). pardon.gif Unless I just happen to be in Neptune's neighborhood though, then I might let "Chrissy" out to stretch her legs. Better bring in your dogs! pilot.gif

- Zombie

Battlescape turn 5 will do nicely, thanks. It's not actually a bug, what I think happened was that the game triggered a Retaliation mission with a human faction (I'm not sure actually which crashed/landed UFO was their craft - either I missed it during the last month or something is odd) and there seems to be a mishap with the ranks (that's why you captured a "Commander"). I knew that this was possible but so far I had never encountered this on my testing. This isn't a critical issue though,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4h9qol7phh785m6/mission.sav?dl=0

Should I hold off playing any further until you take a look?

Oklahoma is a pretty good haul from Wisconsin, I might be able to make it if I drive 24 hours straight (I drive slow). pardon.gif Unless I just happen to be in Neptune's neighborhood though, then I might let "Chrissy" out to stretch her legs. Better bring in your dogs! pilot.gif

24 hours?? Are you using a bicycle? lol

Just throw a cowboy hat on it and "chrissy" will fit in just fine...

If I start off the map like this where I have one looking straight at me, is dropping the stun grenade the wiser action? I always fear it won't be enough smoke and I'll get shot (or grenaded). This is why I usually go for the initial shot. It's time like these I miss the Triton, why can't the skyranger have a door!

If you prime the smoke grenade for 0 it should go off at the end of your turn (but BEFORE the beginning of the alien's turn) which should provide immediate concealment. Now, I'm not an expert on this specific game, so I'm not sure what the alien AI would be doing if they already had a bead on your troops. I suppose if you're worried about it you could test it out quickly by finding a mission which matches the scenario (might take a few reloads though). tongue.png

You bring up a good point about the Skyranger door though. If you look at it logically, the troops in the field would come back to base and complain that the craft really needs a door as too many soldiers are needlessly dying. If they can't buy a craft with a door then I'm sure someone would be able to fashion something up. Hobbes, please give the Skyranger a door! (And the Avenger too, if it doesn't already)! wink.png

EPISODE 49

"And STAY DOWN"! That's what I said when the Muton Commando was stunned the second time, lol laugh.png

Really, you did a fairly good job on this mission. Besides the hiccup with the door the biggest issue was using Nook as a scout when he was injured. What was the reasoning behind that? Also, the Muton in the building should have been met with a few grenades turns before Nook even got close (this goes for most of the other Mutons as well). Hang back in the smoke, toss grenades and hold your ground. Yeah, it'll destroy kit and corpses, but it's safe (and by golly, it would have saved your commander too). Space Voyager was underutilized which was disappointing. If you are going to spend turns to get someone on a roof for sniping duty, hold your other troops back to allow him time to get into position.

My advice is to keep two of your forward scouts on reserve with grenades. Everyone else can take their shots (if the terrain allows it) and the last part of your turn should be finishing off any aliens with grenades. Even if the alien doesn't die, it should be seriously hurt by this point making him an easy kill the next turn. Don't get flustered by many aliens either. Concentrate your firepower on a single target until it's down, then move on. Pick on the aliens which are not in the best of cover so that more of your troops can get shots off. yes.gif

- Zombie

Besides the hiccup with the door the biggest issue was using Nook as a scout when he was injured. What was the reasoning behind that?

I don't feel quite as bad when Nook dies versus a subscriber ;) You'd think I would have gotten over that by now though eh? lol.

I never should have fired that shot with JStank, I was thinking the rocket would be a kill (obviously not thinking at the time). I knew he was in the building I should have just sent all the grenades, I even loaded several extras on during the equipment phase... oh well.

Good luck Commander Badger, you know my record with the highest ranking soldier dntknw.gif

With the introduction of the Muton Commandos, the sniper rifles and Heavy Cannons have indeed outlasted their usefulness. It's a shame you don't have access to the mind probe, it would be interesting to what sort of stats these chaps have. They don't look Lobsterman tough, but they do appear to take a beating.

It may not always be possible with the ranged based rules, but you've probably already noticed how good the snapshots are on the Plasma Rifle. Try to stick with kneeling snaps when fighting at range since you get can off more shots.

For your base, I was thinking you could have waited on the living quarters since you're going to move your engineers out to Pacific. That'll free up some beds, and let you ll maintain the single module choke point once you remove the workshop.

Good luck Commander Badger, you know my record with the highest ranking soldier dntknw.gif

Aha ha .. ah.. .

*looks nervously at Silencer*

- NKF

Hobbes, please give the Skyranger a door! (And the Avenger too, if it doesn't already)! wink.png

You give the Skyranger a door and you're allowing the aliens easier access to hit your soldiers inside, especially since the aliens will usually start facing the Skyranger. Not to mention the aliens can use grenades/Small launchers/blaster launchers from turn 0.

You sure you still want that door? :) (retorical question, since I'm not changing any of the vanilla stuff)

You give the Skyranger a door and you're allowing the aliens easier access to hit your soldiers inside, especially since the aliens will usually start facing the Skyranger. Not to mention the aliens can use grenades/Small launchers/blaster launchers from turn 0

How is it easier access with a door? You can just camp out inside without opening the door and that doesn't make it easier for the aliens. When you do need to open it, can you right click behind the door to open it without stepping outside the Skyranger? That would be the easiest: open door, shoot at whoever is nearest the craft, then wait till next round. Rinse, lather and repeat till the LZ is clear. wink.png Of course, I'm not sure when your door closing routine runs. If it's between X-COM and alien rounds then it'll be a good strategy, no?

So the Skyranger can't be destroyed, but explosions still propagate through it's hull inside to injure soldiers? Not sure why you would allow 3D explosion propagation in craft except to make it harder. Really it should be a safe haven. Will this be a feature in the Lightning and Avenger too, even though they are constructed from alien alloys? Also, can explosions propagate through UFO hulls/ceilings too? (I think they can from what I saw in Nook's playthrough so far, but I'm not positive). Enlighten me! tongue.png

- Zombie

How is it easier access with a door? You can just camp out inside without opening the door and that doesn't make it easier for the aliens. When you do need to open it, can you right click behind the door to open it without stepping outside the Skyranger? That would be the easiest: open door, shoot at whoever is nearest the craft, then wait till next round. Rinse, lather and repeat till the LZ is clear. wink.png Of course, I'm not sure when your door closing routine runs. If it's between X-COM and alien rounds then it'll be a good strategy, no?

So the Skyranger can't be destroyed, but explosions still propagate through it's hull inside to injure soldiers? Not sure why you would allow 3D explosion propagation in craft except to make it harder. Really it should be a safe haven. Will this be a feature in the Lightning and Avenger too, even though they are constructed from alien alloys? Also, can explosions propagate through UFO hulls/ceilings too? (I think they can from what I saw in Nook's playthrough so far, but I'm not positive). Enlighten me! tongue.png

- Zombie

You're talking something different - my idea for a Skyranger door would be something like this:

Skyranger%20Door.png

It looks nice but if you're disembarking and there's an alien with a Stun Launcher, then the door just turns into a murder hole for the aliens to easily get your soldiers on the back of the craft. Adding a self-closing door would solve the issue of Alien Grenades and Blaster Bombs but you'd still be vulnerable to reaction fire of Stun launchers.

But I don't really think it is necessary. The disposition of the craft can make it harder to deploy but it also gives a lot of protection - if you try assaulting one of the Mercs transport craft you'll see how hard it is to storm them.