Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

Still CTD :( Can you load the save I've provided and check on your side ?

OK, checked Nook's latest video: that's how that UFO version is actually designed (I wasn't the author btw).

Hmm ok. Wonder how they are propelled then :P

Still CTD sad.png Can you load the save I've provided and check on your side ?

Just installed the Nightly I gave you and installed Redux 0.5.4. I loaded the saved game, waited for the Transport and I could do the Omega Facility base without crashes.

Are you certain you have Redux correctly installed (on the /mods folder, in the OpenXcom folder inside My Documents, where your saved files are kept)

Yes. I have it there and I also had it in the standard folder in the main OX directory in both locations I've got the CTD

You need to remove anything that is mod related on the standard folder, otherwise you'll get issues. [

Whoops, I thought I posted that last part...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShVFxdTY-es

I'm using the same nightly as Silencer was (from 5-10) When do you think you'll have your next update ready? I noticed you recommended the 5-7 one but it wasn't on the list, I may just wait for the new one since I'm recorded up to Sunday's part.

Still crash upon starting Omega Facility, strange that 5.2 has size of 6035 and 5.4 size of 6029, shouldn't it be bigger if new stuff is added? Loading save from battlescape in Omega Facility works fine though. It is just the transition from briefing room to squad equipment.

Still crash upon starting Omega Facility, strange that 5.2 has size of 6035 and 5.4 size of 6029, shouldn't it be bigger if new stuff is added? Loading save from battlescape in Omega Facility works fine though. It is just the transition from briefing room to squad equipment.

Sometimes stuff like weapons or units get removed.

I can load your save from Geoscape and then launch the Omega Facility mission. But yeah, weird.

Is the last zip taken directly from you own redux folder? Is there a way to have more log info, other than that what I get up until OX loaded successfully?

The .zip was made using the files on my working redux folder.

You need to create a customized build to get more info on the log file but I got no idea how to do that.

Nook, can you try to load the save file I've posted above and check do you get a crash on taking the Omega Facility under 5.4 Redux? After loading the save, wait 2 days, you should get mission north east of the base, near the Baltic Sea. You can send the darkstar there just in case. The mission will always begin before or little after Merc Leader report.

Nook, can you try to load the save file I've posted above and check do you get a crash on taking the Omega Facility under 5.4 Redux? After loading the save, wait 2 days, you should get mission north east of the base, near the Baltic Sea. You can send the darkstar there just in case. The mission will always begin before or little after Merc Leader report.

Ok, I'll try it out later tonight and let you know.

Here's the next part, Mutons versus primitive weapons again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knblOeX1ZzM

Oooh, I haven't played the Omega facility yet. I played a bit before the LP just trying a few things out, did a couple of the merc missions but not long enough to get there. I'm going to hold off watching it for now though, I'm eager to get into one but I don't want to be too spoiled.

Here's the next part, Mutons versus primitive weapons again

First of all, sorry for missing the past 20 or so missions, I've been dealing with something quite big for the last month and a half. wink.png

Ok, some obsevations.

Smoke Grenades: only set these off over your men. Yeah, the Muton which spawned next to the ship in your smoke was unfortunate, but luckily you had a tank to take the Rx shot for the team. Setting off smoke grenades between you and an alien is fine as long as you can get a spotter inside the cloud before the aliens do. And setting off smoke grenades where it'll engulf the alien, well, that's bad news. Don't ever do that, because all that does is to make it harder for you to see the alien.

HE, AP, & Mutons: "Softening" up a Muton with HE before you plink away with AP rounds doesn't really work. An explosion focused on the tile a Muton is standing on (or any of the other 8 tiles surrounding it) only a affects the under armor of the alien. Plinking away with AP will only affect the sides (front, left, right & rear). If you want to soften up a Muton, it's better to toss the explosive or aim the rocket 2 tiles away so that the explosion will weaken one side (you still have to remember which side though).

Outrunning your soldiers: It's easy to forget that tanks can expend more TU per turn than soldiers can and they also recover all of their energy too. This makes tanks excellent scouts, but it's hard to keep up with them. You ran your tank all the way around the UFO and didn't have any soldier backup which is dangerous. It would have been really easy to get your tank damaged to a level where the splash from it's own rocket to a nearby alien could have killed itself. Also, by boxing the tank into a corner it prevents it from retreating if necessary. A better use of the tank would have been to scout the Mutons on the North and West sides of the map, make suppressive rocket fire with it and finish off the aliens with your men. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, but clearing the map before the UFO is priority #1. Have a few soldiers keep an eye on the door(s) to the UFO while the majority of your team clear the outside. When that's done, it's time to breach the UFO and kill off the stragglers.

Preserve a one-front war: look what happened to the Germans in WWII when they got split up and out of range of supplies on the Eastern front in USSR. At one point you were fighting 3 different fronts at the same time. That's a recipe for disaster which luckily turned out favorably due to HE Rockets and excellent grenade relays.

Bad weapons: It's mission 30 of this LP and you still have normal rifles, sniper rifles, grenade&rocket launchers and you are going after Mutons? Isn't there something better you could be using by now? I realize that OpenXcom prevents you from getting lasers due to mercs and being found in a rare and specific mission, but what about alien weaponry? Same deal? Takes too much alien research to get? If so, the devs need to work on game balance a bit.

- Zombie

That last mission went pretty well. However, the more I watch, the more I'm starting to think the regular rifles are rubbish. They certainly worked great early on, but you really do need something better.

You may want to invest in more sniper rifles. Mutons are AP resistant, but the increased damage on the sniper rifle, and the fact you are able to hit a lot better with it than any other weapon in the game, makes it a much more preferable option. Alternately, harken back to the glory days in TFTD and the Gas Cannons. Remember those days (just the good ones) and try to emulate them here by having your Heavy Cannons go High Explosive. With power suits you're not likely to cause too many self inflicted injuries. ;)

- NKF

Yup CTD, I went ahead and changed to the 5-7 nightly and got the same thing.

First of all, sorry for missing the past 20 or so missions, I've been dealing with something quite big for the last month and a half. wink.png

No worries, I haven't treated Operative Zombie very well so it's probably for the best ;)

Smoke Grenades:

My usual goal is to get them just in front of my troops or in the direction of where I think there may be aliens, I've had a few lost soldiers even with smoke when I put it at my feet. I get the no throwing them on the aliens. Have I thrown any where I intentionally cover the alien? I may have but I don't remember intentionally doing it.

HE, AP, & Mutons:

Tossing a grenade 2 tiles away doesn't sound very effective, maybe if I had instant grenades on so I could slowly take them down, but 1 alien grenade to the feet usually does the trick. It makes sense to think about the effect of the weapons though, if I'm going to fire at a muton with a rifle or AP, make sure I can get a lot of rounds all on the same side, otherwise there's not a lot of point to it.

Outrunning your soldiers:

I've had a rough go with tanks this campaign, they're so weak now since there's heavy plasmas shooting at them. For that mission it seemed the safe place around that corner of the UFO, plus I was able to use it to spot the aliens so my line could then fire. If I didn't have it there I would have needed a soldier to be somewhere closer to get sight and there wasn't a ton of cover on that map (other than my clouds of smoke of course ;)

Preserve a one-front war:

I always play too aggressive, I know I should stay back longer and take my time, slowly moving my scouts forward so the snipers in the back can do their thing, but that's not as fun for me (and I don't have the patience). I get myself into some situations that I shouldn't, but that's when I have the most fun with the game.

(on this note, don't watch the nest episode) wacko.png

Bad weapons:

I'll let Hobbes take this one, lol

That last mission went pretty well.

pretty well?? I'm calling that mission one of my finer Xcom moments ;)

I agree though, the rifles are trash now. Hopefully the alloy shotgun will be useful (or I find some mercs somewhere in this world). I've started using more HE heavy cannons along with the occasional AP to replace rifles for the close quarters, but this base that I used for this last mission hasn't been stocked too well.

The sniper rifles are excellent with sectoids and floaters, but the low damage they do won't do much versus Mutons, Chryssalids, & Discs, if I go much longer without weapons I may have my all snipers loaded down with large rockets instead.

Yup CTD, I went ahead and changed to the 5-7 nightly and got the same thing.

Thanks. Hobbes does your last change uses something that wasn't used before? Maybe you forgot to include some other mod? Maybe that alloy shotgun? It would explain that it might spawn in the omega facility, but it's missing so it's CTD, but in 5.2 there is no alloy shotgun so it's not getting spawned, therefore loading a save in 5.4 doesn't create a crash because everything is spawned.

Can you create a temporary update from 5.2 that contains only one of those things?

1. Bug fixes for cities on Geoscape - highly doubt it.

2. Added Alloy Shotgun - possible

3. Reworked weapons - maybe as in Omega Facility more omega weapons are spawned than in standard merc mission

Then maybe we can check what is causing the issue. Unfortunately on OX forum no one answers about getting more logging info from OX.

pretty well?? I'm calling that mission one of my finer Xcom moments ;)

Indeed it was.

Bad weapons: It's mission 30 of this LP and you still have normal rifles, sniper rifles, grenade&rocket launchers and you are going after Mutons? Isn't there something better you could be using by now? I realize that OpenXcom prevents you from getting lasers due to mercs and being found in a rare and specific mission, but what about alien weaponry? Same deal? Takes too much alien research to get? If so, the devs need to work on game balance a bit.

- Zombie

A clarification first: the changes in lasers are from the mod, not OpenXcom.

Lasers require Omega Scientist to unlock, Plasmas require Alien Scientist. Neptunes has been very unlucky on this campaign since the RNG hasn't provided him yet with an opportunity to capture either. But he has started research on the Alloy Shotgun, which has just been added to this mod, in case this research block happens to other players.

And you've got to admit that going conventional against Mutons has a dread of its own... wink.png

Thanks. Hobbes does your last change uses something that wasn't used before? Maybe you forgot to include some other mod? Maybe that alloy shotgun? It would explain that it might spawn in the omega facility, but it's missing so it's CTD, but in 5.2 there is no alloy shotgun so it's not getting spawned, therefore loading a save in 5.4 doesn't create a crash because everything is spawned.

Can you create a temporary update from 5.2 that contains only one of those things?

The bugs fixed on appear on Alien Retaliation missions

Alloy Shotgun doesn't appear on Omega Facility mission, neither do the Reworked Weapons, since they were all Laser/Plasma

I'm currently working on 0.5.5 - after I'm finished I'll see if I can reproduce this bug.

Something I remembered - try going on the mission but don't bring any Omega Sniper Rifles or their ammo

My usual goal is to get [smoke grenades] just in front of my troops or in the direction of where I think there may be aliens, I've had a few lost soldiers even with smoke when I put it at my feet. I get the no throwing them on the aliens. Have I thrown any where I intentionally cover the alien? I may have but I don't remember intentionally doing it.

It wasn't intentional (I think, dunno), but the muton to the west got covered by a smoke grenade you threw. Then you had to run up into it's face to find it. Ignore if it was intentional or not, the point is to think things through and be careful where you throw them. I guess careless may be a better word, but meh. wink.png

Tossing a grenade 2 tiles away doesn't sound very effective, maybe if I had instant grenades on so I could slowly take them down, but 1 alien grenade to the feet usually does the trick. It makes sense to think about the effect of the weapons though, if I'm going to fire at a muton with a rifle or AP, make sure I can get a lot of rounds all on the same side, otherwise there's not a lot of point to it.

Correct, it's not effective. But you figured out the point I was trying to get across: concentration of firepower. You don't really have a lot of weapon options besides the Rocket Launchers at this point in time, so you have to pick your shots and make everything count.

I've had a rough go with tanks this campaign, they're so weak now since there's heavy plasmas shooting at them. For that mission it seemed the safe place around that corner of the UFO, plus I was able to use it to spot the aliens so my line could then fire. If I didn't have it there I would have needed a soldier to be somewhere closer to get sight and there wasn't a ton of cover on that map (other than my clouds of smoke of course wink.png

The safest place for the HWP was in the smoke, not halfway across the map spotting aliens that could have been seen by the tank or your men inside the smoke. Your tank almost got obliterated, it's just lucky that muton only had a stun launcher! tongue.png

A clarification first: the changes in lasers are from the mod, not OpenXcom.

Lasers require Omega Scientist to unlock, Plasmas require Alien Scientist. Neptunes has been very unlucky on this campaign since the RNG hasn't provided him yet with an opportunity to capture either. But he has started research on the Alloy Shotgun, which has just been added to this mod, in case this research block happens to other players.

And you've got to admit that going conventional against Mutons has a dread of its own... wink.png

Excuse my ignorance, but how will an alloy shotgun help? I'm assuming it's a better weapon... but I can't help but see this giant pink elephant in the room and it says that unless this opens up a line of research which provides some muton killers then Neptune is still SOL. whistling.gif Or is the alloy shotgun a stopgap to fill the blanks until Neptune can get the necessary missions and research completed? If so, it's a weak (and almost useless) stopgap for Mutons.

- Zombie