Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

It's so easy to say - get Hover Blaster, yet he still uses avalanches....

?? Not really sure what hover blasters have to do with Avalanches, but what would you be using for craft weapons? I've been building plasma cannons but I just recently researched them and have only had time to build 2 so far...

?? Not really sure what hover blasters have to do with Avalanches

Elerium.

I've been building plasma cannons but I just recently researched them and have only had time to build 2 so far...

No, you've stopped manufacturing them long time ago. You've only made 2 and didn't plan on making more. Even with crippled range they are more useful than avalanches.

No, you've stopped manufacturing them long time ago. You've only made 2 and didn't plan on making more. Even with crippled range they are more useful than avalanches.

I'm not sure where "didn't plan to make more" came from, but I've only stopped long enough to build a few tanks (for top priority base defense) and a Lightning, Firestorm, and Avenger (to help with monthly deficit).

By the looks of my Elerium supply I may have to keep the avalanches around even longer.

For the tanks, I was thinking more along different lines. Keep your soldiers mobile with Heavy Plasmas.

I know Ethereals could be a problem, but I was thinking along the lines of 3-4 blaster launcher carrying soldiers. The plan being, first turn light up the hangers... The only way I know of dealing with them is to hit them early fast, so if I can launch 3-4 blaster bombs first turn into them, that might be enough damage to their moral to get them to start panicking.

Having the tank around would work really well against a Chrysallid attack (although I think Overlords are the new problem).

if you don't have Alien Containment built at the base, all the stunning in the world will go to waste. tongue.png

Oh yeah! I'm glad I didn't try stunning anyone :)

@Hobbes, you don't have to spoil it, but would it be wise to hold off on the Ethereal research or should I do it now?

Have you noticed how Overlords, Alien Elites and Ethereals seem to be appearing more than usual? The Ethereal Leader will definitely give you some research you want. wink.png

OK, meanwhile the protagonists of the next version of Redux decided to take a break from all their hard work and took a selfie grin.gif

https://www.openxcom.com/content/modimages/BSXGBTNU082720150320.png

Unfortunately the Waspite (new alien race) decided to wander off right before the pic was taken...

Considering how much worse that mission could have gone, to only get away with 2 losses was nothing short of a miracle. Also, as to be expected, the panicking and mind controlled officers got served promotions.

Your rockets were normal rockets. The vegetation in the mountain style maps tend to be highly flammable for some reason. so gave the impression that you were using incendiary rockets.

One thing I was thinking when you were getting your guys ready for stunning that last ethereal was that you really should have stowed away the Heavy Plasmas. Especially after the botch up with the first Ethereal you were wanting to capture. Another panic attack might have finished it off.

- NKF

Why you are not putting Mr. Badger in danger as you put me huh? angry.png

I have this fairly recent memory of a certain Commander carrying a Blaster Launcher heading off ahead on his own and came face to buttcheeks with a Muton. I think one of the better Hobbes clones saved him at the time. ;)

- NKF

I managed to get this one posted on time today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osK1yuCqyEI

Nothing? Well for Psionics you still need the Mind Probe, but... you should have gotten Alien Operations, if you have researched Alien Origins

I have a few mind probes but don't have an option to research them yet. I can't remember if I researched a Medic yet so I'm waiting to see if that gives me anything when it's done.

I have done Alien Origins also.

I have this fairly recent memory of a certain Commander carrying a Blaster Launcher heading off ahead on his own and came face to buttcheeks with a Muton. I think one of the better Hobbes clones saved him at the time. wink.png

- NKF

The commanders still need a few brave adventures every once in a while, otherwise the crew starts to lose respect wink.png

I have a few mind probes but don't have an option to research them yet. I can't remember if I researched a Medic yet so I'm waiting to see if that gives me anything when it's done.

I have done Alien Origins also.

Yeah, I've noticed that you haven't captured a Medic yet, since you need it for the probe and the small launcher. But you should have gotten Alien Operations after researching the Leader, just drop me a save and I can fix it.

Yeah, I've noticed that you haven't captured a Medic yet, since you need it for the probe and the small launcher. But you should have gotten Alien Operations after researching the Leader, just drop me a save and I can fix it.

Here ya go, I haven't recorded any further so I'm still in the middle of researching the Medic...

https://www.dropbox....h8v/69.sav?dl=0

Here ya go, I haven't recorded any further so I'm still in the middle of researching the Medic...

https://www.dropbox....h8v/69.sav?dl=0

OK, you already got Alien Operations, so my question is if you got the pop up window when research was completed, if the answer is yes, then everything is working fine and it's time to grab some Commanders.

One thing I noticed: you have the Cydonia PSX map. It should be fine but I also made a few changes to the 2nd part of Cydonia. But you can deactivate that mod without any problem.