UFO Extender

Tycho

And - maybe this is good reason to find the exact differences between the original one and the altered that is in this important case much better for now and it will be very bad if the extender will not be compatible for the future with this altered one that also me is using it. :(

The number of Roswell crashes do need to diminish, though. It's ridiculous; the damn things crash more often than they don't. I've got the 19th crash and I've shot down 5 or so, and about 4 or 5 ships manage to escape.

I would have to completely rethink the way that Seb implemented the roswell mod. His code is pretty simple and lends itself to causing too many incidents. I tried altering it once but it didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Hello Tycho,

the aspect of the screen is correct yet in the latest extender, but when I have chosen also scale mouse option then the area of mouse is wrongly clipped and the mouse could not reach the bottom of the screen. It seems to me like you maybe forget the counting of the height for scale may also be 4:3 and not 16:9 or 16:10. Top is allright but the bottom of the available mouse area is shifted up.

I have 1920x1440 resolution.

eLK

Hello Tycho,

the aspect of the screen is correct yet in the latest extender, but when I have chosen also scale mouse option then the area of mouse is wrongly clipped and the mouse could not reach the bottom of the screen. It seems to me like you maybe forget the counting of the height for scale may also be 4:3 and not 16:9 or 16:10. Top is allright but the bottom of the available mouse area is shifted up.

I have 1920x1440 resolution.

eLK

How are your video options set now? Post them here, please.

[Video]

Video Pitch=1

HQ4x=0

D3D=1

D3D Fullscreen Width=1920

D3D Fullscreen Height=1440

D3D Windowed=0

Screen Ratio=1

Always On Top=0

Clip Cursor=1

Scale Mouse=1

Slow Geoscape Clock=0

Battlescape Delay=33

Force Language=0

Skip Intro=0

CPU Mask=0

High Priority=0

Max FPS=0

If I set aspect higher it has no effect to mouse - but the aspect is correct, if I set it lower then 1 it is stretched up to screen 4:3 but the mouse can reach the whole screen.

To set Screen Ratio=4:3 is the same as 0 or less then 1. I tried 4/3 also. To set it to 1 gets the screen to the good aspect - so on the 4:3 screen the picture covers the center in the aspect 16:9(or 10 - I don´t know) - so the circle is exact circle and square is exact square and I have black stripes on the top and the bottom - That is correct. But the mouse could not reach the bottom of the game area, it starts below black top stripe correctly but I could not get lower upto the bottom with mouse - to the buttons that are on the bottom of the game screen.

To set Screen Ratio=4:3 is the same as 0 or less then 1. I tried 4/3 also. To set it to 1 gets the screen to the good aspect - so on the 4:3 screen the picture covers the center in the aspect 16:9(or 10 - I don´t know) - so the circle is exact circle and square is exact square and I have black stripes on the top and the bottom - That is correct. But the mouse could not reach the bottom of the game area, it starts below black top stripe correctly but I could not get lower upto the bottom with mouse - to the buttons that are on the bottom of the game screen.

You have to specify the proper height and width for the aspect ratio that you want to use in order for mouse clipping to work correctly.

1920x1440 is 4:3

1920×1200 for 16:10

1920x1080 for 16:9

Tycho it is not about to specify the resolution.. It is about the Scale Mouse settings =1 and about that I could not set anything other then 1920x1440 as it is the resolution of my display. So I must set 1920x1440 which will set the resolution of Direct3D to 1920x1440 and then I have to set aspect - the Screen Ratio to 1, less or more. If I write here 4:3 it is the same as 0 to 0.999999, this will do completely nothing to me - the screen is then stretched to display 1920x1440 - so the game cover the whole screen and the mouse is then working correctly. If I write here 16:10 then the screen is at the correct aspect but the mouse can not reach the bottom of the screen (I mean the game area!). If I set 16:9, the screen is more flat (bigger black stripes on the top and bottom) wrong aspect and the mouse is a bit worse then 16:10 - also I can not get to the bottom of the game area.

If I will set 16.10 and I set the resolution to 1920x1200 so the D3D will change the resolution to 1920x1200 and the picture covers the whole screen - no black stripes - wrong aspect ration - but of course - mouse can also reach the whole screen smile.png So - no change from Screen Ratio=0.

The resolution has to be 1920x1440 - this is my display resolution , when I change it then the graphics card will try to make the screen stretch to the whole screen. So this is not the solution to change the resolution, but the only wrong is the mouse clipping! When I use Ratio=1 or Ratio=16:10 while my resolution left on 1920x1440 everything is alright - exclude the mouse area clipping wink.png

If I switch the Scale Mouse to "off" then it is everything all right but the mouse goes very fast but as I have also set Clip Cursor=1 the mouse will never leave the game area - only is very fast - but then - it is working well!

Okay? Do you now understand where is the problem??

And I suggest you to use only Screen Ratio setting option to 1 or 0. For 1 - it will count the resolution and the original game screen size for aspect to be correct, and 0 for the game will cover the whole screen area and depending on the display aspect self it will be displayed correctly or not smile.png I think nobody will need any other settings.

Tycho it is not about to specify the resolution.. It is about the Scale Mouse settings =1 and about that I could not set anything other then 1920x1440 as it is the resolution of my display. So I must set 1920x1440 which will set the resolution of Direct3D to 1920x1440 and then I have to set aspect - the Screen Ratio to 1, less or more. If I write here 4:3 it is the same as 0 to 0.999999, this will do completely nothing to me - the screen is then stretched to display 1920x1440 - so the game cover the whole screen and the mouse is then working correctly. If I write here 16:10 then the screen is at the correct aspect but the mouse can not reach the bottom of the screen (I mean the game area!). If I set 16:9, the screen is more flat (bigger black stripes on the top and bottom) wrong aspect and the mouse is a bit worse then 16:10 - also I can not get to the bottom of the game area.

If I will set 16.10 and I set the resolution to 1920x1200 so the D3D will change the resolution to 1920x1200 and the picture covers the whole screen - no black stripes - wrong aspect ration - but of course - mouse can also reach the whole screen smile.png So - no change from Screen Ratio=0.

The resolution has to be 1920x1440 - this is my display resolution , when I change it then the graphics card will try to make the screen stretch to the whole screen. So this is not the solution to change the resolution, but the only wrong is the mouse clipping! When I use Ratio=1 or Ratio=16:10 while my resolution left on 1920x1440 everything is alright - exclude the mouse area clipping wink.png

If I switch the Scale Mouse to "off" then it is everything all right but the mouse goes very fast but as I have also set Clip Cursor=1 the mouse will never leave the game area - only is very fast - but then - it is working well!

Okay? Do you now understand where is the problem??

And I suggest you to use only Screen Ratio setting option to 1 or 0. For 1 - it will count the resolution and the original game screen size for aspect to be correct, and 0 for the game will cover the whole screen area and depending on the display aspect self it will be displayed correctly or not smile.png I think nobody will need any other settings.

Try this and let me know the results.

--file removed--

Tycho - well - this has solved the problem.. :) Perfect work! I have now good aspect and the mouse is moving correctly! My setting is yet:

D3D=1

D3D Windowed=0

Screen Ratio=1

Always On Top=0

Clip Cursor=1

Scale Mouse=1

This setting is working well on 4:3 screens!

If Screen Ratio is set to 4:3 it behaves like before - wrong aspect - game covers whole display - same as Screen Ratio=0 (mouse is also okay).

But to me it seems logical now. 1 turn the aspect correction ON, 0 will set it OFF. If I was you I would let this patch as final release :)

thumbsup.gif

Tycho - well - this has solved the problem.. smile.png Perfect work! I have now good aspect and the mouse is moving correctly! My setting is yet:

D3D=1

D3D Windowed=0

Screen Ratio=1

If Screen Ratio is set to 4:3 it behaves like before - wrong aspect - game covers whole display - same as Screen Ratio=0 (mouse is also okay).

But to me it seems logical now. 1 turn the aspect correction ON, 0 will set it OFF. If I was you I would let this patch as final release

I did nothing but fix an issue with the with the scale mouse feature. Glad to know it was the source of your problem. Without it, the problem your describing occurs when both were active. Much playing around with the settings to recreate your issue let me find the source of the problem. Screen ratio should still be set in the INI as per the original instruction(using standard ratio terminology). =0 or =1 works for you because 0 is off and any other number, that is not in the =X:Y format, will result in the extender using the default of 16:10.

Hello Tycho,

the first line of the screen will corrupt while you load any game from save or end battlescape mission - simply while the Geoscape is loaded second time.

The Build Facilities then has corrupted the first line of the screen. It can be also seen on some other message windows (as I remember e.g. Hyperwave Decoder). It must wrongly replace a part of the picture of messages windows in memory while loaded at second time. Maybe you don´t see it while you have the 16:9 display. On my 4:3 it looks like this:

https://1541.678.cz/clipboard.png

You can see the color dots on the top of the screen.

This is not displayed and everything is alright - until you load any save.

Can this to be fixed?

I may try to help you looking at the memory of the Geoscape and help you with comparing the results - but I must before install some application for to read and view the memory.. smile.png

It is not a problem in patcher - it is the original game file problem and it can be seen on any windows version of UFO Defense.exe

Underscript:

And thank you very much for the patch! Now - I don´t see any critical bug and everything is working as I could imagine. Yes - there may exists some improvements and mods, but the game - as the original game could look - looks and works very well!

Hello Tycho,

the game crashed to me again getting me this message:

XCOM crashed at 0x4035EE with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000000

I have found you have been already discussing it here:

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/9397-xcom-extenderloader-crash/

but there was no solution for the problem told..

Is possible to make anything with it to application will not crash in this case?

Thanks.

eLK

Hello Tycho. Im just joining this forum coz i find ur mod is amazing. im testing 1.31.5 now and i experienced no panic and berserk for my troops even if morale go 0 it still not panic or berserk. this not happen for aliens. and when im playing v1.30 i didn't encounter this problem. can u go check it please. ah forgot to mention i ve used most of the mod in ini file. still can't find the cause of this problem.

Hello Tycho. Im just joining this forum coz i find ur mod is amazing. im testing 1.31.5 now and i experienced no panic and berserk for my troops even if morale go 0 it still not panic or berserk. this not happen for aliens. and when im playing v1.30 i didn't encounter this problem. can u go check it please. ah forgot to mention i ve used most of the mod in ini file. still can't find the cause of this problem.

Welcome to Strategycore! Thanks for giving me your feedback. I'll look into the issue.

One thing you could try would be to open your your INI-readme.txt file and copy the line for Bezerk Unit Crash fix from there to the [bug fix] section of your INI. The fix is only suppose to stop large units from going bezerk. Let me know if this works or not.

I wonder if others have this too but don't realize something is NOT happening...

Hello Tycho,

Terror mission scoring focuses on civilians: Each civilian is worth [1008 / (num of civilians spawned)]

please do it how mod, in superhuman this is game over in the end of 2 months and this is disbalance the game, more random is not good.

In terror mission 2 i am lost 5/6 X-COM soldiers, killed all Aliens, lost all civilians and have raiting -1000

Welcome to Strategycore! Thanks for giving me your feedback. I'll look into the issue.

One thing you could try would be to open your your INI-readme.txt file and copy the line for Bezerk Unit Crash fix from there to the [bug fix] section of your INI. The fix is only suppose to stop large units from going bezerk. Let me know if this works or not.

I wonder if others have this too but don't realize something is NOT happening...

It seems Works. but that mean if large unit (did u mean tanks?) go berserk the game will crash now? coz the bug fix is off.

And one thing, did the hack in this mod are not working anymore? coz i tried using

[Hack]

No Score Game Over=1

Its not working. I need that for my superhuman run grin.gif

Anyway while waiting for the next patch, i tried openxcom mod i find this while searching combo patch update. and o.O im incredibly surprised so much NEW stuff and after played it for 20+ hours no crash during my game. im so happy. im using the nightly build though. But it seem very similiar to your mod are they related to this? or they got inspiration from your mod, or you are the one contributor of that project? But im sure your AI is superior.

Maybe you should try add path finding system and other interesting thing from them.

Well Good Luck for u guys for attempting to create the ultimate game smile.png

Hello CoolKid,

If you will search more you will find that OpenXCom is simply another game that is using graphics from original game. It has totally different AI and it is made from scratch using observing method - no disassembly - of the original game. So it looks it behaves maybe similar but not the same like the original game.

I prefer the original game with the Tycho´s patch because simply - the OpenXCom is old looking new game - if that - I will better prefer the old game wit new graphics than new game with old graphics ;)

The problem is that the old game is very buggy and Tycho is trying to fix all this and also improve what is possible to make the ultimate original game - not like in case of OpenXCom to make ultimate another but same looking and similar behaving game ;)

I'm gonna make some rounds on X-COM with your mod again, Tycho. Is your OP the latest?

@Elfkaa: Been watching OXC for a long time already. From what I understand it's the original game rewritten in a new language with bug fixes and mods. Can't wait for the mods. I've always wanted to see more areas to explore like deep cave systems, NYC-like cities, and anything new, also would love to hear more natural and real sounds added like amazon birds in the jungle maps or an alarm sound near a wrecked car in the city and people screaming once in awhile(like Nemesis Project but not so much like it...), mods that can change the game for better or for worse. With experimentation and patience since it'll probably take another year for greater mod varity if OXC is lucky to gain a larger community, we'll have our perfect game.

As always I'll be going back to Tycho's as Elfka.

I'm gonna make some rounds on X-COM with your mod again, Tycho. Is your OP the latest?

@Elfkaa: Been watching OXC for a long time already. From what I understand it's the original game rewritten in a new language with bug fixes and mods. Can't wait for the mods. I've always wanted to see more areas to explore like deep cave systems, NYC-like cities, and anything new, also would love to hear more natural and real sounds added like amazon birds in the jungle maps or an alarm sound near a wrecked car in the city and people screaming once in awhile(like Nemesis Project but not so much like it...), mods that can change the game for better or for worse. With experimentation and patience since it'll probably take another year for greater mod varity if OXC is lucky to gain a larger community, we'll have our perfect game.

As always I'll be going back to Tycho's as Elfka.

Yes, the OP has the latest version available: 1.31.5

As to OXC, it is not the original code but the developers's attempt to recreate the code based on their understanding of it from disassembling the original executable. But that is splitting hairs and a matter of opinion as to how faithful a work they have done. They do have more freedom to make changes that would be impractical to do with the Extender.

About

What is it?

UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com: UFO Defense in USA) is a popular strategy videogame made by Mythos / Microprose, where you take control of the X-Com organization to fight off the alien menace invading Earth.

OpenXcom is an open-source reimplementation of that game, licensed under the GPL and written in C++ / SDL, which was started back in February 2009 by a bored old university student who loves X-Com way too much.

The problem is by now the original game is very old, buggy and dated. So the goal of this project is to bring back the tried and true feel of the original with none of the issues! All the same graphics, sound and gameplay with a brand new codebase written from scratch without disassembling the original executable.

Read the last sentence carefully :) They removed it from the About page lately - but in 2011 it was written there! Now they better don´t telling it is just a replica :) new game with old graphics - nothing more is same as the original UFO Defense!

https://web.archive.org/web/20111005135443/https://openxcom.org/index.php/about/

Bug PSI skill of aliens, they not see the soldier, but take under control, simply press next turn https://rghost.ru/50497959

It must not be a bug, if your soldier is once seen by any alien, then aliens has his brain waves signature :) so they can panic him or mind control him for the whole mission. In case the soldier you are sure has never been seen by aliens - then - so it also can be the bug with the UFO walls - which are in special cases (from special angle) transparent (probably some transparent pixel or something - I don´t know exactly...

I think I have seen a patch for this (I personally don´t use it as I don´t have any experiences with it - but it may work well or not - to me it does not matter..)