UFO Extender

Tycho

Okay, here's the UFO defense.exe.

I did a quick compare and dissassemble of the exe you provided: It seems that you have a modded executable as I quickly found code that was added to support the playing of mp3s, which means that other areas are altered to make room for this code and to keep the file size the same. It also sounds like it has been altered to correct the video synch issue that occured with the windows version.

So I found my original unaltered exe and I can now play the game.

Interestingly enough I'm now getting the first part of NaskyG's bug; crashes on top of my base. I took a closer look and it isn't UFOs that are crashing, at least not with me, it's my very own ships. Interceptors and Skyrangers are claimed to crash into my base whenever they land there. Very strange.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also using the same altered UFO Defense.exe sad.png It will not work with the extender for the future? I think it is not much altered and it seems it is very widespreaded. If you Tycho know what is altered, can you also preserve the extender will not work with it? This altered one is the only one which can play the intro in MP3s also. I am also using my edited intro music in MP3 with it.

So I found my original unaltered exe and I can now play the game.

Interestingly enough I'm now getting the first part of NaskyG's bug; crashes on top of my base. I took a closer look and it isn't UFOs that are crashing, at least not with me, it's my very own ships. Interceptors and Skyrangers are claimed to crash into my base whenever they land there. Very strange.

Are you playing with "Ship Ready notification" mod? If so it would make sense: when I merged all texts into one [text] section, I overlooked that the tags for some strings were the same. Under different sections, similar tags were not a problem.

I am also using the same altered UFO Defense.exe sad.png It will not work with the extender for the future? I think it is not much altered and it seems it is very widespreaded. If you Tycho know what is altered, can you also preserve the extender will not work with it? This altered one is the only one which can play the intro in MP3s also. I am also using my edited intro music in MP3 with it.

I have to base my work off of and write for the original game executable. As Seb disclaimed when he started the Extender project, other modded executable may work but no guarentees. As I continue to develop the Extender, the chance that incompatibilities occur will increase. People are welcome to take the Extender source code and alter it to fit their needs, if they have the ability to do so. The source code is available.

Are you playing with "Ship Ready notification" mod? If so it would make sense: when I merged all texts into one [text] section, I overlooked that the tags for some strings were the same. Under different sections, similar tags were not a problem.

Yes, I have that option on. I'm guessing in a future release this little bug gets fixed?

I have to base my work off of and write for the original game executable. As Seb disclaimed when he started the Extender project, other modded executable may work but no guarentees. As I continue to develop the Extender, the chance that incompatibilities occur will increase. People are welcome to take the Extender source code and alter it to fit their needs, if they have the ability to do so. The source code is available.

Okay I understand.. But this modded version is sadly the only that can play mp3 also in intro - the extender don´t yet. I think it is the only reason to use this one modded instead of the original one. So it will be great to program this option also to the extender. It seems to me it is not as much coding (by comparing the original and modded) - the mod only requires the external dll also, but there is only few changes in the Ufo Defense.exe itself. The second mod that this exe contain is a try to mod the displaying as you already mentioned. No other mods are presents. And you have already solved the display by extender.

I will be glad to help you with the code, but I am not a programmer sad.png and can not read and understand the code. But it is great that your code is free to learn and possible to modify for and by any user. But I think and hope that if someone will do this - it should be also good to contact you and maybe work in team with you to make the changes for all after discussing it with you.

I will be glad to help you with the code, but I am not a programmer sad.png and can not read and understand the code. But it is great that your code is free to learn and possible to modify for and by any user. But I think and hope that if someone will do this - it should be also good to contact you and maybe work in team with you to make the changes for all after discussing it with you.

I'm always glad to look at new code for possible inclusion into the Extender. The new mp3 player and video/mouse code were both written by others. Don't worry, until I started in december of 2012, I didn't know a thing about assembly..I just learned by trial and error (a lot of error!) until I got it. I'm still a beginner with C++.

Wow, so that is unbelievable! I can only read some disassembly a little, but no C++ code.. Maybe in the far future smile.png It is a pity that there is no other person who understand the original code (like you and in tha past Seb who is - probably - not yet interested and it is a big pity)

hello Tycho,

glad to hear that you have nearly done with the aspect smile.png I enjoy it!

I have some issue with the ufo defense gold - I think it could be also because of using the previously saved game with the modified Ufo Defense.exe (the version playing mp3 in intro also) but I think it should also do your extender while I use midi instead of mp3s.

But - to the issue - when I loaded my previously saved game which I modified also to have full research tree, after load (it loads to battlescape) and exit battle scape and go to Ufopaedia and Skyranger then press the arrow right to view next stuff I will get an error message:

XCOM crashed at 0x77930748 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x1634FE36. It only happened while I will change exe to the original one - UFO Gold Edition exe. When I return to my altered one (which plays MP3s directly) it will not crash! So it should be caused by the extender which plays only midi to me yet (so I have set section Music to Apply=0, Source=MP3) when I will change my altered one with the original Gold exe version or the Gold version of exe, but seems to me it is something wrong with the music MP3 code of the extender.

New notice: When I change Apply=1 in Music section then MP3 will play but the game will also crash with exactly the same message. It only does on my save game number 1. I have the full tree also in the save number 2 and it does not happenings there.

Other new notice:

While I will load the save 2 (which will load to geoscape - no crash even the research tree is also full) then load game 1 then exactly after selecting to load the game 1 the game will also crash with the error:

XCOM crashed at 0x77930BB0 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x4E484349.

eLK

Heh, I don´t like this patch so I have it off :) I don¨t see any reason to Ufo should crash by itself .) It is a game - and you are the one to make the ufos to crash ;) But - it is an option and then - there may be the other option to set the number how offten it should happen if set :)

hello Tycho,

glad to hear that you have nearly done with the aspect smile.png I enjoy it!

I have some issue with the ufo defense gold - I think it could be also because of using the previously saved game with the modified Ufo Defense.exe (the version playing mp3 in intro also) but I think it should also do your extender while I use midi instead of mp3s.

But - to the issue - when I loaded my previously saved game which I modified also to have full research tree, after load (it loads to battlescape) and exit battle scape and go to Ufopaedia and Skyranger then press the arrow right to view next stuff I will get an error message:

XCOM crashed at 0x77930748 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x1634FE36. It only happened while I will change exe to the original one - UFO Gold Edition exe. When I return to my altered one (which plays MP3s directly) it will not crash! So it should be caused by the extender which plays only midi to me yet (so I have set section Music to Apply=0, Source=MP3) when I will change my altered one with the original Gold exe version or the Gold version of exe, but seems to me it is something wrong with the music MP3 code of the extender.

New notice: When I change Apply=1 in Music section then MP3 will play but the game will also crash with exactly the same message. It only does on my save game number 1. I have the full tree also in the save number 2 and it does not happenings there.

Other new notice:

While I will load the save 2 (which will load to geoscape - no crash even the research tree is also full) then load game 1 then exactly after selecting to load the game 1 the game will also crash with the error:

XCOM crashed at 0x77930BB0 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x4E484349.

eLK

If there were a problem with mp3s playing in the extender, there should be a huge amount of people reporting problems as it is one of the most popular mods. I used to get a lot of people reporting codec problems but since I switched to the new player, all seems quiet.

To address your issue:

1. Does this happen with a new game created after loading the Extender with an unmodded executable?

2. If not enabled, you might try enabling the "more smoke" mod. (I know that games saved when that option is enabled will not load, if it is not. It might be another change that was added to the other executable.)

It's really hard to find out every issues as for instance, now i have another issue with Craft Equipment Screen where when i want to add something to the ship it don't change the left corner number which indicate the available space in the craft. It just show 0 all the time, no matter if i completely unload the ship or load it with guns. There is still the 80 item limit present and the loading and unloading works, i just lost any indication of the space available as it stop working.

The numbers for space used and space available in the craft screen are only related to soldiers and tanks. The numbers of items will always be limited to 80 and don't count against space in the craft.

Does anyone else think that the number of UFO crashes when you choose "Roswell" is rather too high?

Tried this once and then turned it off because I thought it was way too high.

@Tycho

Any chance of a Base Storage fix as well??? Post 130 if you got too busy and forgot.

Thanks again

Interesting. I renamed my wrong game and try to play the new - as you suggested. The XCOM (unmodified one) did not crashed while I was saved and load and look into ufopaedia, but I shooted down an ufo (the first I let to live, only selected the waypoint somewhere else and send all the interceptors - one to the ufo and the second one to a waypoint) and the second ufo I shooted down) and while I went to the mission (send skyranger), skyranger has landed and then the game crashed twice (twice I tested) while I press Begin Mission - and OK button (before the equip the soldiers screen on missions - so before the load. It is the new game - just saved and once loaded). The MP3 I have switched off, so I play MIDI instead of MP3s and I also tried to switched it ON as the second try. It must be the problem with my original gold version of the Ufo Defense.exe or another problem :( but interesting thing is that in my altered one everything seems to be allright. And the altered maybe only changing the display driver (but I am even using yours D3D instead) and the music MP3s to play also in intro. The other interesting is that it will never happen with my altered one. But always with the Gold original one.

The error I have yet is:

XCOM crashed at 0x77930BB0 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x4E484349. So it is the second already mentioned.

Could I have something wrong in the extender.ini which may cause this??

The More smoke mod I have never switched on!

I got it, it must be something connected with ufopaedia, I use the translation to czech, but this should not be the problem. I also tried the francais language for just try and it will crash also. But it only happen while I use the Ufopaedia (I do it like I press the topmost button of the ufopaedia so I see the Skyranger, then go right by pressing onscreen right arrow to nearly go through all the Ufopaedia and then back and more far left after Skyranger, then go back to geoscape, went to ufo 2 crash mission (as Ufo 1 I left went out), then the game always crash but interesting is that now the first mentioned error appeared (XCOM crashed at 0x77930748 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x1634FE36.)

Version 1.31.5

* full version *

• No crash when researching a medic
  • The aspect ratio is easier to set: Just use common ratio terminology (16:10, 16:9, 4:3, etc.)
  • Players will be taken to the base editor screen before the equip phase to manage what items are available for the soldiers in base defence missions.
  • Appropriate walls now block fire and smoke for both propagation and explosion effects. This also fixes the problem with a blaster bomb's explosion extending past the north and west walls of a UFO as well.
  • Correct sound for the Mind Probe used.
  • Terror mission scoring focuses on civilians: Each civilian is worth [1008 / (num of civilians spawned)].
  • The Aliens score for each base increases the longer that base is active.
  • Fixed the problem of throwing items indoors and under overhangs with high strength characters.
  • Changes to UFO attacking bases and Base Defense missions:
    • The type of ship making a base attack depends on game time.
    • UFOs attack base defenses.
    • Fusion Defense requires Blaster Bombs to be available in base stores. Missile Defense will spend money. Laser and Plasma Defenses have no requirements.
    • Ability to deactivate base defenses by clicking the right mouse.
    • Aliens will attempt to eliminate rather than continually try to invade an X-Com base after failed attempts to do so.

• Some tweaks to the Tactical AI mod to make aliens use grenades more. Some alien’s behavior in Terror missions adjusted slightly.
  • Aliens will now stop attacking the area of a target if it is killed by the previous attack.
  • New limits in the Heavy Laser mod for the special attacks: each attack form imparts a different "recharge time" before either of them can be used again.
  • With the EU2012 Item Rules mod, the chance for a weapon to remain after the alien is killed has been reduced.
  • Lowered the delay for the slower time rates on the Geoscape Clock mod. People reported too much mouse lag with the initial settings. The clock run faster at those settings.
  • In the Alterernate Research Tree mod:
  • New addition to "Know Thy Enemy":
    • = 2: Damage potential for craft weapons depend on knowledge of UFO weaknessess: until an alien engineer can provide data on a particular UFO, the damage range for weapons is (0-100%). After an alien engineer provides X-com with data, the damage range for that UFO goes to 25~125%. & Damage to aliens affected by autopsy status.

• Human Limits: Scientiests and engineers only work in twelve hours shifts. The project menu will assign two people per mouse click but only one space will be needed between them.
  • Alternate Research Tree:
    • =1
      • Laser cannon requires research into E-115 and UFO power to produce and E-115 is a production material.
      • Plasma weapons and Blaster Bombs require "help" from various alien engineers to obtain the knowledge to produce.
      • Hyperwave may require multiple species navigators to be interrogated in order to be finally unlocked. (depending on game difficulty)
      • Only Etherals can give the required technology to unlock Psionics.
      • Improved detectors after the correct technologies have been researched or can be produced.
      • Psionic evaluation of soldiers without the need for Psi Lab, with certain technologies researched in conjunction with Sectoids.

[*]=2 : Alternate progression for laser weapons

• The first breakthrough allows the production of Heavy Lasers but damage is minimal.
      • Each new level researched allows a new item to be made and increases the damage for the prevous stage(s) items.
      • Special fire modes for the Heavy Laser, if that mod is enabled, are available when the laser pistol research is complete.

I got it, it must be something connected with ufopaedia, I use the translation to czech, but this should not be the problem. I also tried the francais language for just try and it will crash also. But it only happen while I use the Ufopaedia (I do it like I press the topmost button of the ufopaedia so I see the Skyranger, then go right by pressing onscreen right arrow to nearly go through all the Ufopaedia and then back and more far left after Skyranger, then go back to geoscape, went to ufo 2 crash mission (as Ufo 1 I left went out), then the game always crash but interesting is that now the first mentioned error appeared (XCOM crashed at 0x77930748 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x1634FE36.)

It's not the extender but seems to be an original source code bug. It only happens when you view the craft pages and then try to load a battle after closing the ufopaedia. It doesn't matter if you use the arrows to visit other pages or not. Just looking at one Xcraft page and trying to load a battle from the options menu will cause this. You should to ufopaedia.org and write this up under the "known bug" section. ;)

It's not the extender but seems to be an original source code bug. It only happens when you view the craft pages and then try to load a battle after closing the ufopaedia. It doesn't matter if you use the arrows to visit other pages or not. Just looking at one Xcraft page and trying to load a battle from the options menu will cause this. You should to ufopaedia.org and write this up under the "known bug" section. wink.png

Heh smile.png Thank you for explaining me it. Ok - but why the altered one don¨t do that? So - it must contain the fix for it - so it probably should be easily fixed..

Oh and - please - add the known issue there, I don´¨t know how to edit it..

Thanks

eLK