19 replies to this topic

#1 baby arm

baby arm

Jazzercise Instructor

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:47 AM

The long wait is over as UFO: Extraterrestrials is finally complete. Here's what publisher Tri Synergy had to say:

Upton, MA, April 18th, 2007 Tri Synergy (www.trisynergy.com) is proud to announce that their highly anticipated sci-fi strategy title, UFO: Extraterrestrials, has gone gold! UFO: Extraterrestrials combines fast-paced real time action on the strategic level with intense turn-based tactical battles.
To celebrate the arrival of the Gold-Master build of UFO: Extraterrestrials, Tri Synergy is releasing a sneak peek at the opening cinematic trailer in addition to a new bundle of screenshots, with more gameplay footage and screens to follow!
You can download that trailer and screenshot bundle through our Files Section.

UFOET_4_17_07_1.jpg UFOET_4_17_07_3.jpg UFOET_4_17_07_7.jpg

#2 thecyke

thecyke

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

OK, but when can i buy it in the UK?
Editor of The Last Outpost
The Last Outpost

The definitive source of X-Com Alliance info
(until Pete sticks this data onto XCTC anyway!)
Alliance X

#3 baby arm

baby arm

Jazzercise Instructor

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

Not sure about UK retail, but you'll be able to get the direct download through Matrix.
Tacticular Cancer - Behold Our Nebelwerfer

#4 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hooray! :D We're nearing the point where X-COM fans can call themselves fans of the genre instead!

#5 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:16 AM

Let me point something important out. This is our best chance to prove to the gaming industry, and Take Two Interactive (if they have plans for an X-COM game) that this kind of game can sell. If the game really is good, we HAVE to buy it and use word-of-mouth to make it sell. That's the best way of debunking the old TB games don't sell. That is all under the condition that the game really is good, it would not be fair to trick people into thinking it's something it's not. Here's to hoping the game kicks behinds, and sells well enough. :D

#6 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

View PostGimli, on 19th April 2007, 7:16am, said:

Let me point something important out. This is our best chance to prove to the gaming industry, and Take Two Interactive (if they have plans for an X-COM game) that this kind of game can sell. If the game really is good, we HAVE to buy it and use word-of-mouth to make it sell. That's the best way of debunking the old TB games don't sell. That is all under the condition that the game really is good, it would not be fair to trick people into thinking it's something it's not. Here's to hoping the game kicks behinds, and sells well enough. :D
Agree completely.

#7 hot22shot

hot22shot

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

can't wait for the first review  :D

#8 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

*decides to buy it* :D

The video reminded me a bit of UFO:Interceptor. Had a feel of "80s sci-fi" to it  :D

#9 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:10 AM

FINALLY!

Awesome news, can't wait to get it!
Posted Image

#10 daredevil

daredevil

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:10 PM

Here's to hoping this game is the next X-com!  Now let's see some reviews!

#11 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

The Christmas avatar is here forever! Muhahaha!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:26 AM

...It's really gone gold? Wow... this is, what, the fifth year of development? I'll probably end up getting it anyway... but meh. :D
Both Chryssalids AND Lobstermen taste good with butter? What a great deal!

Project Xenocide

#12 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:47 AM

New introduction video released, download from here

The UFO: ET release date is May 1.
Posted Image

#13 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

Um, that's the same video...

#14 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

My bad, I can't watch either, codec problem apparently (I'm open for suggestions on codecs...) and I compared the filenames and post dates and thought this one was a new one :D
Posted Image

#15 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:33 PM

I just watched it. First impressions was that it was pretty good. Basically it is a 5 minute interception sequence where CAF pilots happen across a few UFO's. The people who did the voices to the pilots did an excellent job. I was half-expecting some strange accents, but it was all in English (American, not British). Everything was clear and well spoken.

The actual dialog was, in my opinion, lacking. The lady at the headquarters was not very believable. Inter-pilot dialog degraded as the video progressed and everyone was strangely cool, calm and collected during the heat of the battle. The head pilot shot off a missile which didn't do anything to the UFO, then declared that this other missile would blow it to smithereens. But why state this? The other pilots should know the stats of the weapons in question. Obviously, the dialog is directed at the listener, but it wasn't realistic.

Luckily, this is only the introduction and in no way reflects how the game will actually play. I still have hope. :D

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#16 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

Yes, the dialogue in the introduction video was not very good. I didn't watch it to the end though, because my PC has apparently become too slow to even play videos well, and sadly this wasn't an exception.

#17 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

I watched it, finally. I found the animations not the level I expected, but were decent (though I'm not very fond of the explosions).

And the dialogues were just plain bad, not a single variation in the voices, they were all calm even after their mate had died, I was expecting a lot of yelling and (at least some) swearing, but nothing.

Another thing, isn't CAF supposed to be "Counter Alien Forces"? How could those pilots be CAF if they are supposed to find out about the Aliens' very existance in that part? I hope the game clears that up for me, cause it's not making a lot of sense from that sequence.
Posted Image

#18 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

The Christmas avatar is here forever! Muhahaha!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

View PostAzrael Strife, on 22nd April 2007, 4:15pm, said:

I watched it, finally. I found the animations not the level I expected, but were decent (though I'm not very fond of the explosions).

And the dialogues were just plain bad, not a single variation in the voices, they were all calm even after their mate had died, I was expecting a lot of yelling and (at least some) swearing, but nothing.

Another thing, isn't CAF supposed to be "Counter Alien Forces"? How could those pilots be CAF if they are supposed to find out about the Aliens' very existance in that part? I hope the game clears that up for me, cause it's not making a lot of sense from that sequence.

The intro is not necessarily representative of the game itself in any way. As anyone who remembers the soldier-launching Avenger from X-Com's intro will attest. :D
Both Chryssalids AND Lobstermen taste good with butter? What a great deal!

Project Xenocide

#19 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

I personally couldn't care less, if the game is good, so it doesn't lose any points from me. :D

#20 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:48 AM

View PostCpl. Facehugger, on 22nd April 2007, 6:15pm, said:

View PostAzrael Strife, on 22nd April 2007, 4:15pm, said:

The intro is not necessarily representative of the game itself in any way. As anyone who remembers the soldier-launching Avenger from X-Com's intro will attest. :D
I never said it was, personally I'm still in love with the game, the gameplay video looked simply outstanding.
I'm literally itching to try it *scratches*
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users