Other gaming news

Sorry, no time yet. I'll keep it in mind, but with San Andreas, Winter Assault and Aftershock on the agenda in addition to real life and this site it has to wait a little.

I read your review however, and it was very nice! I think I may find some of the bad sides and bugs more annoying than you did, but I definitively would like to give the game a go.

I am enjoying Prince of Persia: Warrior Within very much. I played Sands of Time and found it surprisingly well made, but still lacked something. But this, is a remarkable game, it's one of the few games I can say it's beautifully made. The music fits right, the game is made to give the feeling you are in a movie, because of the cam movements, the music in key points, the enemy's voices, etc. The environments are that, beautiful, I love them. Also, the combat system is very extense, you have a lot of options about what you can do to a certain enemy, I'm still finding new combinations and seeing new movements, it's very fun to watch a fight, even with a single weak monster. And the engine, man that engine can make a game go! PoP has some of the best graphics I've ever seen, and yet it runs smoothly as if it didn't have those very detailed graphics at all! I mean, I am also playing Far Cry and have lowered the graphics to run it ok, and yet it runs slow, and PoP has far better graphics than FarCry and it runs 10 times faster and smoothly. This engine seems as good as Doom 3's engine. Granted, I know nothign of game engines, but if they have better graphics, and run faster, they are good, I assume?

Anyway, if you have the chance, give Warrior WIthin a chance :P

Sands of Time was awesome, I didn't get Warrior Within yet. It seems very nice too (judging by the demo).

As for Far Cry: what gfx card do you have? There's this strange thing with the game, that on my Radeon 9600 Pro, I can crank it up to full details. For the first minute or so, it will stutter, and then suddenly, it starts "flying", with no stuttering at all, and it looks fantastic.

Well, I heard from some developers FX 5200 is poo. :P And I mean really horrible. Too bad, as it's quite a nice game, especially later on. I'd suggest a new card, but maybe you can't get one. If you can, though, by all means do. It seems nVidia is better at the moment, so go for that.

I am absolutely astounded at Sands of Time's and Warrior Within's engine. If you haven't noticed it already, it takes approximately 1 minute from desktop through the menu and into the game itself. Factor in a somewhat high polygon counts for the models, particle effects for the sands, and Havoc physics and transparencies for all the clothes that are surprisingly present in large numbers in ruins.

Name just one other game that comes even close to this level of achievement.

And just so you know, my system specs are at least 4 years old:

- 1.8GHz Pentium-4

- 256MB RAM

- 64MB GeForce3 Ti200

- Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value (Yes, the cheaper one :P )

- Windows XP-SP1 (Gonna wait a while longer before switching over to SP2)

Well, I heard from some developers FX 5200 is poo. :P And I mean  really horrible. Too bad, as it's quite a nice game, especially later on. I'd suggest a new card, but maybe you can't get one. If you can, though, by all means do. It seems nVidia is better at the moment, so go for that.

GeForce is nVidia. And that seems to be a matter of opinions, as I've heard that ATIs are crappy, as well as I've heard that nVidias are crappy too, so I went for nVidia which is a brand I know the best :)

I agree with you, Matri, it barely takes time to load :)

PoP was beautiful, but it took me about 10 minutes to get bored with it. That's about how much of a chance I gave it however, so maybe I should try again :P

As for the Far Cry engine, it is one of the best graphics engines ever created. It may not have as fine details as PoP, but you have to keep one thing in mind - DRAW DISTANCE. In Far Cry you can stand at the top point of an island and snipe someone down at the beach. All FPS game struggle with this - in Doom 3 there aren't much outdoor at all from what I understand, and that engine is HEAVY. So really, start looking around you with a sniper rifle in Far Cry, and you'll start appreciating that fantastic engine!

Yeah, PoP can get boring, especially when you just don't know where to jump next or where to grab onto to not fall and die, that's particularly annoying.

I've yet got to try Far Cry more, so far inside the battleship the engine seems to studder at some points, can't wait to get out of there, worked much better on the island...

GeForce is nVidia. And that seems to be a matter of opinions, as I've heard that ATIs are crappy, as well as I've heard that nVidias are crappy too, so I went for nVidia which is a brand I know the best smile.gif

I agree with you, Matri, it barely takes time to load grin.gif

I think you misunderstood me (or maybe I'm sleepy). I've got nothing against nVidia, I just heard from some respected developers (Croteam of Serious Sam being one of them), that the FX 5200 is a bad card. I'm not some fan of ATi, I choose the card that has the optimal money/performance ratio for me, I had nVidia cards too, my GF 2 MX served me well.

I bet there were some bad ATi's cards, i just noticed this one because it was recently that a lot of people complained.

Also, often certain games perform better on ATi's cards and certain on nVidia's. That's the way developers program them. IIRC Doom 3 was made for nVidia's cards more, while Far Cry was made more for ATi's cards.

GeForce is nVidia. And that seems to be a matter of opinions, as I've heard that ATIs are crappy, as well as I've heard that nVidias are crappy too, so I went for nVidia which is a brand I know the best smile.gif

I agree with you, Matri, it barely takes time to load grin.gif

I think you misunderstood me (or maybe I'm sleepy). I've got nothing against nVidia, I just heard from some respected developers (Croteam of Serious Sam being one of them), that the FX 5200 is a bad card. I'm not some fan of ATi, I choose the card that has the optimal money/performance ratio for me, I had nVidia cards too, my GF 2 MX served me well.

I bet there were some bad ATi's cards, i just noticed this one because it was recently that a lot of people complained.

Also, often certain games perform better on ATi's cards and certain on nVidia's. That's the way developers program them. IIRC Doom 3 was made for nVidia's cards more, while Far Cry was made more for ATi's cards.

No idea, what I meant is that when I got this card, I had to decide between the FX5200 and the ATI equivalent, and did some research, and found very contradictory opinions on the matter, I just went for nVidia cause I knew it better than ATI and I guess I let the name make me buy the card :P

I think your confusing the FX5200 with the Geforce 4000 MX.

The GeForce 4000 MX was basicaly an overclocked GeForce 2 MX card and so it did lack the Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders.

The FX5200 however is actualy a pretty good card... it has full Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support but it's clockspeed is only half that of other cards. (200Mhz instead of 400Mhz)

As for the nVidia vs ATI debate... well I don't think that's going to end anytime soon.

I think your confusing the FX5200 with the Geforce 4000 MX.

The GeForce 4000 MX was basicaly an overclocked GeForce 2 MX card and so it did lack the Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders.

The FX5200 however is actualy a pretty good card... it has full Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support but it's clockspeed is only half that of other cards. (200Mhz instead of 400Mhz)

As for the nVidia vs ATI debate... well I don't think that's going to end anytime soon.

My mistake. I hate the numbering system. But I'm not too shabby at math, though... :P

First review of Stubbs the Zombie in. 1UP was quite pleased with it as you can see here. It's the XBox version, but there's no reason to believe the PC version will be less fun (unless they make a quick port). Here's a quote from the review:

In a typical scenario for Stubbs, you will release a gas cloud that stuns humans, eat a few of their brains (with one of the best animations in any game, ever) to turn them into zombie allies, pull a grenade out of your gut and explode it in mid-air by hitting the button again (something that was considered for Halo but ultimately not implemented), possess an enemy with your severed hand and control him for a few seconds, and then take off your head and roll it into the largest group of humans you can find.

I've heard the the new 6800 have lots and lots of issues.

Never heard of those rumors before... must have been spread by the ATI zealots. :P

I've got a 6800GT overclocked to the speed of a 6800Ultra... I have no problems with it. The 6x00 series arn't new either, they've now been replaced by the 7x00 series.

The 6x00 series was also the last nVidia cards to support AGP slots, they've all moved onto PCI Express now.

I upgraded my FX5800 to a 6800GT because it lacked pixel shader 3.0 and vertex shader 3.0 support. The FX series WAS supposed to support pixel and vertex shader 3.0, and it did, sort of. Except ot only worked half the time, and when it did work only ran incredibly slowly. :)