22663 replies to this topic

#41 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:16 PM

Lack of Pixel Shader support? Not completely sure what that is, but it does have Pixel Shader (otherwise I wouldn't be able to play most new games) :P
Posted Image

#42 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

I think your confusing the FX5200 with the Geforce 4000 MX.

The GeForce 4000 MX was basicaly an overclocked GeForce 2 MX card and so it did lack the Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders.
The FX5200 however is actualy a pretty good card... it has full Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support but it's clockspeed is only half that of other cards. (200Mhz instead of 400Mhz)

As for the nVidia vs ATI debate... well I don't think that's going to end anytime soon.
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#43 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:02 PM

No, I had the GeForce MX4400, I had to change to FX to have Pixel and Vertex Shaders (I wanted to play Deus Ex 2: Invisible War :P).
I'm happy with the 5200, though I would like to change to 5600, I've heard the the new 6800 have lots and lots of issues.
Posted Image

#44 Matri

Matri

Official Love Nest Mascot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

Kernel, on 16th October 2005, 4:41am, said:

I think your confusing the FX5200 with the Geforce 4000 MX.

The GeForce 4000 MX was basicaly an overclocked GeForce 2 MX card and so it did lack the Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders.
The FX5200 however is actualy a pretty good card... it has full Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support but it's clockspeed is only half that of other cards. (200Mhz instead of 400Mhz)

As for the nVidia vs ATI debate... well I don't think that's going to end anytime soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mistake. I hate the numbering system. But I'm not too shabby at math, though... :P
"Never be normal!" - Ron Stoppable

MechQuest. Get your mecha RPG fix.
Star Citizen.

#45 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:56 AM

First review of Stubbs the Zombie in. 1UP was quite pleased with it as you can see here. It's the XBox version, but there's no reason to believe the PC version will be less fun (unless they make a quick port). Here's a quote from the review:

In a typical scenario for Stubbs, you will release a gas cloud that stuns humans, eat a few of their brains (with one of the best animations in any game, ever) to turn them into zombie allies, pull a grenade out of your gut and explode it in mid-air by hitting the button again (something that was considered for Halo but ultimately not implemented), possess an enemy with your severed hand and control him for a few seconds, and then take off your head and roll it into the largest group of humans you can find.

#46 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

Azrael, on 15th October 2005, 10:02pm, said:

I've heard the the new 6800 have lots and lots of issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never heard of those rumors before... must have been spread by the ATI zealots.  :P
I've got a 6800GT overclocked to the speed of a 6800Ultra... I have no problems with it. The 6x00 series arn't new either, they've now been replaced by the 7x00 series.

The 6x00 series was also the last nVidia cards to support AGP slots, they've all moved onto PCI Express now.

I upgraded my FX5800 to a 6800GT because it lacked pixel shader 3.0 and vertex shader 3.0 support. The FX series WAS supposed to support pixel and vertex shader 3.0, and it did, sort of. Except ot only worked half the time, and when it did work only ran incredibly slowly.  :)
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#47 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:55 AM

I loved Sands of time.  That game was truly beautiful.  Warrior Within, while perhaps a better game overall, was stylistically a bag of shite.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#48 Matri

Matri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:01 PM

FullAuto, on 16th October 2005, 5:55pm, said:

I loved Sands of time.  That game was truly beautiful.  Warrior Within, while perhaps a better game overall, was stylistically a bag of shite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotta love the Sand Wraith, though :P

Star Citizen.

#49 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

Oh yes.  But I thought the music, environs and general attitude of the second game sucked sweaty donkey balls.

#50 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:44 PM

I thouhgt the music fit the general environment far better than in Sands of Time.
Posted Image

#51 Matri

Matri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

FullAuto, on 16th October 2005, 8:35pm, said:

Oh yes.  But I thought the music, environs and general attitude of the second game sucked sweaty donkey balls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotta agree with you there.

Star Citizen.

#52 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:32 AM

Well, in the Sand of Time, the architecture was beautiful.  Decadent, majestic, purely Arabic (even Islamic) in feel, all gold and azure, shining and bright.  The contrasting dusty orange-yellow of the sand and the crystalline blue of the water was nothing less than gorgeous.  The soundtrack, while admittedly not to everyone's taste, fit the game perfectly.  What also added to the game was a mature, sensible attitude towards women, with Princess Farah helping out and showing herself to be intelligent, independent and a helping hand in combat, a far cry from most games.
Verdict?  A truly dreamlike game.

Warrior Within, on the other hand.  The architecture was dark, desolate and Western.  Rubble-strewn corridors and pure Gothic bleakness.  The soundtrack did fit the game, yes, but did it have to be nu-metal?  I have had my fill of screaming underpowered guitar chords, seeing as they are now inescapable in today's media.  The scars, the stubble and the silly S&M costumes added nothing to the game.  And the wonderful "You BITCH" moment destroyed all empathy I had felt with the Prince.  No one has that sort of attitude to women except hateful misogynist bastards, though there are a few about.
Verdict?  Trying.  Too.  Hard.

#53 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:23 AM

FullAuto, on 17th October 2005, 2:32am, said:

Well, in the Sand of Time, the architecture was beautiful.  Decadent, majestic, purely Arabic (even Islamic) in feel, all gold and azure, shining and bright.  The contrasting dusty orange-yellow of the sand and the crystalline blue of the water was nothing less than gorgeous.  The soundtrack, while admittedly not to everyone's taste, fit the game perfectly.  What also added to the game was a mature, sensible attitude towards women, with Princess Farah helping out and showing herself to be intelligent, independent and a helping hand in combat, a far cry from most games.
Verdict?  A truly dreamlike game.

Warrior Within, on the other hand.  The architecture was dark, desolate and Western.  Rubble-strewn corridors and pure Gothic bleakness.  The soundtrack did fit the game, yes, but did it have to be nu-metal?  I have had my fill of screaming underpowered guitar chords, seeing as they are now inescapable in today's media.  The scars, the stubble and the silly S&M costumes added nothing to the game. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kinda liked that pseudo metal music when starting some combats, I was pleasantly surprised :P

And the wonderful "You BITCH" moment destroyed all empathy I had felt with the Prince.  No one has that sort of attitude to women except hateful misogynist bastards, though there are a few about.
Verdict?  Trying.  Too.  Hard.
Well, she is a bitch  :mad:
Posted Image

#54 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Yes, she is.  She's also a badly-done strictly two dimensional cardboard cutout of a character.  Which is a big jump back in maturity, intelligence and realism from  the first game.

#55 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

I'm confused, why do you think that?
Posted Image

#56 Gungadin

Gungadin

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

So, did anyone ever play Total Overdose? I installed it again and once again marvels at how much it kicks ass.

#57 Crazy Gringo

Crazy Gringo

War is hell and war never changes therefore hell never changes

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

Played and completed it in two weeks....
Words to live by from Sergent Gunnery Highway: ' You adapt, improvise and overcome!'

'To kill a dream it is not enough to kill the dreamer', -Quote by Crazy Gringo until proven otherwise.

Mental Father of Air Morelman and Air Wargot!

Official StrategyCore UFO: Afterlight previewer. Preview here!

Has joined the league of 'The Crazy 8800s'

#58 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:54 AM

Not yet. I think I'll wait for the budget version as I simply can't find time for it now :phew:

#59 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

THE HOT 100 GAME DEVELOPERS

#60 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin