Problems with Area51 mission

blaznee

I've been reading through this forum for help on this mission, but everyone seems waaaayyy ahead of me.. I've researched everything I can without the Dreamland files, so now I HAVE to beat the Area51 mission.. I have some pretty good guys I think Level 9 to 6 on my main team, with some nice beginner hardware..

I simply cannot beat the Area51 mission. I get to the underground base but about half way towards the pickup point I meet these Reticuleans with a bastard alien rifle that takes my guys out in 0.5 seconds.. How did you beat this mission? Or what kind of weapons did you use?

My next try will be with my green recruits and then just try and run through the base...

I did it by keeping a everyone in the corridor outside the massive room where the file is and then sending my fastest guy in to get it. He didn't meet any aliens inside the room with the files which was cool. The guys in the corridor just downed a few aliens while he was running. Simple stuff!

if your having problems now your gonna REALLY struggle towards the stalingrad mission.

most of the aliens are using laser weapons right? you using armour thats resistant to laser damage?

use alien laser rifles cuz thier range rocks and don't go directly towards the target area, look for places that won't give the enemy chance to ambush you.

most smgs tear through aliens with or without sun armour the shear rof is enough to take them down fast.

use grenades when you know an alien is there but can't see it. don't give them ANY chance to take advantage of you, soo many times i've been ambushed by them and i could have avoided it simply by taking a different route or walking instead of running.

i try to think like i'm playing ravenshield (Rainbow 6 game) there 1 false move and your entire team gets wiped out. And the planning interface is kinda similer in the way you can queue waypoints/orders including grenade throwing etc.

Hi blaznee.I completed Area 51 mission only few hours ago,so I have fresh experience.Use grenades-grenades are life for your squad and death for Reticuleans :-) Lanuch an assault on Area 51 with full squad,equip 3-4 members with LOT of grenades,take cover with grenadiers and use rest of your squad to reconing and disturbing aliens.When alien will be spotted take cover with recon soldiers and strike with grenades-use hit and run strategy:leave cover-throw grenade-take cover again.You should also use your intuition-You can destroy an alien without leaving cover-just throw grenades on places you know they will go to.You will gain this knowledge by scouting/disturbing.(Beware:any of your troops shouldnt be far from safety-from place where alinens are not able to see you-ideally next to this place).Whith this strategy you should be able to eliminate all resistance in Area 51 with only standar equipment.(As well as I did:-)

Well, I took two snipers, and the rest had assault rifles with high ROF or SMG's with around 6 'nades each. The snipers own reticulans in Area51, not sure about later on. They FAR out range the reticulan weapons, and pierce through the shields easily. So, basically, I'd frag a room, rush in, burst anything still alive, and use the snipers to cover the corridors. Oh, and the snipers with Good/V.Good skill have around 70-80% at MAX range. Then again, I'm also guilty of being partial to snipers :rolleyes:

Grenades on the other hand, are a must. A lvl1 rookie can kill Plectons solo with them, and just one grenade at that, hehe.

I did that without firing much. I tried it with combat but I got whipped every time by plasma rifles.

The way I did it in the end was to use my sneakiest guy as a spotter to watch the alien patrol routes (they walk up and down aisles and corridors). He then allows himself to get spotted and lures a single alien back to the guys who are all waiting in burst fire mode, crouched.

Once you get to the big room, lob smoke grenades and sprint for the files (lob a smoke at the files themselves so noone sees you pick them up).

I suppose it you were REALLY having trouble, you could kill all the guys outside with RPGs, steal their laser rifles and go home to reseach them. Reticulans are easy meat when you have laser rifles and drop in 3 hits.

I concur that it's the plasma guns that are creaming you, but they can be tajken down. I admit, I saved the game at the beginning of the base section of A51, and had to take three atempts at it, but I got them all in the end. I used a single man to opn the door ways where I knew they'd be waiting, then ran him out of sight ASAP. Meanwhile, my other troops cuked grenades into the corridor, from just outside the alien PoV. The guy who opened the door was given the most powerful shotgun I had, and when they started coming towards me, he was able to shoot at them, but they didn't seem able to shoot back (he was right on the corner, facing down the corridor and kneeling).

I ended up with all the aliens dead, and was abl;e to casually stroll up, grab the info and get out again, with just one man going to med bay...

• 3 weeks later...
I've completed area 51 too, much aliens found us! but they'all die, my team only 2 die. but my question is, it's normal that after win that mission get a Research Base? I've nothing happen, even no anything about the file/mission-item that we captured. I still cannot research anything cause no resarch base.

All I did is send my fastest guy to the gigantic room, leaving the rest of the team in the airlock. I made him enter through one of the side entrances, get the CPU, exit through the door on the other side and run up to the airlock. Piece of cake! :withstupid:

NOTE: This was done in Hard difficulty setting.