TFTD Extender

Tycho

I've made a slightly updated version of 106, which will be now 1061:

*Slow the Clock: Time in the Geoscape passes slower. The way the clock passes time has been altered but the options for accelerating time are still correct and match the original rates.

* Know Thy Enemy: Damage will be capped until the aliens' vital points have been discovered via autopsies. There is a small chance of a "lucky shot" that will bypass the cap for each successful hit.

* Smaller Maps for both random Alien sub missions and Alien colony's stage 2.

* Increased variety of aliens that populate the colonies.

* Improved detectors to help aquanauts find those pesky aliens hiding under the beds or in the closets.

* Revised P.W.T. ammo production requirements to reflect a logical correlation to each platform's weapon damage. [New Games only]

* The game executable can now be specified in the [loader] section of the game's INI file.

* Craft Gauss Cannon's maximum ammo increased to 100 and base rearm rate increase to 50 rounds per hour.

* Option to increase base rearm rate for Ajax torpedoes to 2 rounds per hour instead of 1 per hour.

* 'Craft Always Ready' mod changed to 'Craft Ready State' with two options: =1 Always ready, =2 Damaged craft are grounded.

* Option to have Aquatoids be armed with sonic pistols or rifles instead of cannons because of their size.

Now available in the files section.

Edited by Tycho

First thing I want to say is, THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE!

But when I activated the slow clock function, I clicked on any of the time increments they do not change their "state" to a pressed one, instead remaning unpressed.

Here's a screenshot.

https://i.imgur.com/Ailnh.png

Also I got a crash message one time from changing the time increments while the Slow Clock option is enabled:

https://i.imgur.com/2p81b.png

Are you using an already modified executable or xcomutil? (maybe a split executable?) Everything you posted tells me that the Extender is modifying offsets that have different information than the standard executable.

With a hex editor, check and see if this line has the same values:

.text:00444FE0 00 01 7F 2F 74 25 48 74 1A 83 E8 0B 74 0D 83 E8

Unless you're launching the game via XcomUtil or one of my mods, you're not actually using the split EXEs (which are created alongside the original - they don't replace it).

That is to say, if you're launching the game by running TFTDextender.exe, then the EXE splitter doesn't have anything to do with it. If you're using BBMod, ComboMod, or XcomUtil, then maybe... But I've tested it that way myself and it works fine for me.

So my question'd be, did you change anything in the TFTD Extender INI from the defaults, and if so, what? Did you extract all files from the new TFTD Extender archive into your game folder, or did you just extract a few?

I'm not familiar with Hex editing so I don't know how to locate them. But I used BB's executable splitter as I wanted to use xcomutil, but I decided to not use xcomutil (I did not uninstall it though, xcomutil is still installed.)

You would need to use a program like HexEdit. Before that, what does your Extender.lNI look like? Especially, the [loader] section? Maybe post it here?

Yeah I used a hex editor but I don't know how to search that specific line.

https://pastebin.com/Hi7jF3Wa

I know that HexEdit has an option 'Goto', which will jump to the offset you specify. In this case, 44FE0 (it's offset 444FE0 in a disassemblier, sorry about that confusion.) If you can't paste that line. zip and post your exe and I'll look at it.

Also you're talking about the "Terror From the Deep.exe" file right?

Well I used HexEdit and I can't find any "Goto" option, so I used "Find" instead. I cannot find "44FE0" or "444FE0".

I've messaged you the EXE.

EDIT: Sorry BB I missed your post, yeah I've posted the .INI now, silly me for not posting it in the first place. So it can't be a split EXE problem then!

This is a patch file for version 1.061 of TFTD Extender.

You must install the full version before using this file.

Extract the contents into the same folder as you have previously installed

the extender and answer 'Yes' to overwrite the current file.

Fixed in this version:

* Incompatibility between 'Show Money' and 'Slow the Clock' mods.

* Geoscape shortcuts for time changes now work with 'Slow the Clock' mod.

update: New version posted. Please see newer entries in the topic. Thanks for supporting TFTD Extender!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. The newest version of TFTDextender when used with XComUtil causes this message when exiting Geoscape:

TFTD crashed at 0x7C9192F6 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000002

This error occured with the patched version of geoscape.exe (splitted from the original game exe). XComUtil works fine when used without TFTDExtender with the same patch, so I believe that there is a problem in TFTDExtender this time rather than in buggy splitting by XComUtil. Or this new version uses some functions that need another patch.

2. Yet another problem is that TFTDExtender.exe is reported by AVG Anti-Virus as containing a Trojan Horse (Generic30.MKG)

3. I would suggest to separate a full installer of TFTDExtender from the dll patch. As for now the full installer is NOT accessible in a normal way on the page https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=File:TFTDextender.zip. This is somewhat confusing, really. In order to install TFTDextender you need to get a file from the history. A person who has never installed the extender would rather expect that the file TFTDExtender.zip does contain all what is needed. But it is not so now! It only contains the dll - while all the rest of the package must be downloaded separately. So, I suggest two separate pages, one for the whole archive, and another for the newest dll patch.

However, the whole archive is not even 200 kB in size. Perhaps uploading a whole package (not only dll) every time it changes would be just smarter. I do not think nowadays anyone can have problems with downloading a 200 kB file, really.

1. The newest version of TFTDextender when used with XComUtil causes this message when exiting Geoscape:

TFTD crashed at 0x7C9192F6 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000002

This error occured with the patched version of geoscape.exe (splitted from the original game exe). XComUtil works fine when used without TFTDExtender with the same patch, so I believe that there is a problem in TFTDExtender this time rather than in buggy splitting by XComUtil. Or this new version uses some functions that need another patch.

2. Yet another problem is that TFTDExtender.exe is reported by AVG Anti-Virus as containing a Trojan Horse (Generic30.MKG)

(1) The Extender is for the CE version of the game. All the modding is based on the disassembly of the unaltered code.

I looked into the error: I setup a new install with XComUtil, BB's patch, and various versions of the Extender, even back to Xusilak's TFTD Loader. I am running XP Home Edition on my machine. I get the error on all versions of Extender/Loader and XComUtil.

(2) I've doubled checked and there is no problem with the executable. It must be a false positive being returned by that particular AV software. I believe AVG has a history of reporting false positives. Although, I guess I could see this in a way, that the loader behaves like a trojan: it overwrites existing code in memory, just not in a malicious way.

Edited by Tycho

Fixed in this patch:

* Problem with 'Slow Geoscape Clock' mod causing alien missions to not be generated or updated correctly.

I adjusted the way the battlescape delay worked. The player can now specify the amount of delay to suit his system and preference. Add this line to your INI just below the Slow Battlescape Animation Speed:

Battlescape Delay=22

Don't set the time less than 6ms or your game will lock on the first turn of combat.

TFTDextender1.61p2(beta).zip

Edited by Tycho

Hey! Long time no-see Tycho! smile.png

Newest patch seems to break things on my end. When I try to start a USO mission or a Base Attack mission I'll get as far as the 'Press any button to continue' screen and the game will hang and force me to kill the process in task manager. This happens in new games as well, so I don't think it's an issue with my save file. The previous version (1.61) is more functional, but the 'time pass' buttons on the Geoscape don't get highlighted when I press them.

My .ini.zip

Eh, I've been sort of busy with college. Over winter break I squandered my free time playing the new XCOM, but now I'm bored with that and back to screwing around with TftD and UFO Defense. lol

Disabling 'slow the clock' had no effect. Does 1.6 need to be installed before 1.61? I just installed 1.61 (the one with the .exe and new .ini) and the newest patch over my game, so it's possible I messed up the install order I guess.

No.

Disabling 'slow the clock' had no effect. Does 1.6 need to be installed before 1.61? I just installed 1.61 (the one with the .exe and new .ini) and the newest patch over my game, so it's possible I messed up the install order I guess.

No, you don't. 1.61 is a full version to fix an issue that came up early after I released 1.6. The only changes that the patches introduce are changes to the 'Slow the Clock' mod, the corresponding shortcuts, and 'Show Money'. Disabling each of those should fix the problem. Let me know the results.

Thanks for the feedback!