Strange things in X-COM

Zombie

Nice point, JFG. The Level 0 is pretty hard to miss, and if you do not go up a level (or two), the full craft will not be visible. :lovetammy:

Level 0:

https://www.xcomufo.com/ufo/smallscout1.jpg

Level 2:

https://www.xcomufo.com/ufo/smallscout2.jpg

Sorry, xcomufo doesn't have the Level 1 view so this was all I could get. :D

- Zombie

Even without the upper level visible I've always been able to spot it but in this case the map was quite small with only 3 farm buildings. I have scouted every square including the buildings just in case the thing had oddly materialised inside but there is nothing.

The map was so small I expected to see the tiny ship which is why I saved the game mid-way through so I had chance to go back to it.

Did you have Hyperwave Decoders at the time? I've managed to have mine miss Battleships landing at the base and the first alert I get is one saying my base is under attack. It's possible that you detected the "Very Small" craft heading for your base, but it was a battleship that did the actual raid.

How radars can miss an object the size of a large mansion and estate baffles me really.

I know it's been a while, but remember my posts about permanent X-COM control of aliens? Click here and here for a quick refresher course. What got me was NKF's post afterwards:

Useful indeed - but I see it being more useful in TFTD, especially with its two-parter shipping lane missions: Can we say 'lobsterman army'? Yes we can!

Bad news people. It doesn't work in TFTD. But there is a small kernel of the ownership flag problem present yet. Stun a MC'd Tasoth. Revive it whenever you want. It will still be under X-COM control when it wakes up - but only for that turn. Wait a turn and the Tasoth reverts back to alien status. I assume this is true for all the aliens in TFTD. Oh well, I'll still enjoy using it in Enemy Unknown. :eh:

- Zombie

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a strange thing, howabout a game where the first two alien bases built are on Hawaii and in antartica? antartica I can understand, but I've never seen an alien base built on hawaii before... (is it that easy to hide these things? maybe inside a volcano or something :P)

Here's a strange thing, howabout a game where the first two alien bases built are on Hawaii and in antartica? antartica I can understand, but I've never seen an alien base built on hawaii before... (is it that easy to hide these things? maybe inside a volcano or something :P)

Seems as good a place as any. 2000 miles from the nearest land, in the side of a mountain. Would make it a bit hard for human craft of limited range and low speed to get at you without giving you hours of prewarning.

While playing a recent game, I noticed the aliens built 3 bases in Hawaii! Two of them were practically stacked right on top of each other on the main island, while the third was located on another island in the chain. I don't blame them - it's a nice place. :P

- Zombie

• 2 months later...

I know that I read about people getting X-COM ships named Battleship-1 or some such thing but can't seem to find it right now. Ah well, anyway I experienced this curious problem a few days ago when I was messing around with saved game files. Take a look at the following screenshots:

Alien_Corpse_1.pngAlien_Corpse_1_2_3.pngAC_Mixed_Bag.pngSupply_ship_4651.png

Nice, eh? :drink:

The mixup happens when you copy and paste soldier.dat into another game which isn't similar. For instance, if you have 26 soldiers assigned to an Avenger and copy them to a different game without a craft present, you are going to see some strange craft designations. See, soldier.dat has info on what craft a soldier is assigned to. The pointers are still indicating they are assigned to a craft even though crafts may not be present. It happens with dissimilar crafts too (for example a Skyranger in Game_1 and an Interceptor in Game_2. So be aware when you are copying soldiers across games. Take them off of craft first, then copy them over to prevent corruption. :drink:

- Zombie

I just pictured this (an artist might have fun rendering this):

A half limp looking Floater, with Xs for eyes, semi upright in the air with an armored X-COM trooper (like a child would ride on an adult's shoulders)- a pistol in one hand, and a string around his other free hand's index finger attached to the Floater's jerry rigged propulsion unit. :drink:

• 2 weeks later...

something weird has been happening in my x-com: ufo games lately. dead soldiers have been coming back to life! let me explain.

first, i'll let everyone know that i'm running x-com: ce with xcomutil and the uniforms mod. the only settings i use in xcomutil are the alternate starting base, improved weapons (not improved lasers), troops automatically sorted, troops automatically re-equipped, and the alternate farm/desert terrain.

so i go into any old mission. one of my soldiers gets shot and falls unconscious. the next turn, my soldier dies due to fatal wounds. when i finish the mission, guess what? my soldier is in sick bay!

the first time this happened, i thought i was just seeing things. but just now, it happened again!

i usually throw out a smoke grenade when i exit the skyranger, so my soldiers are walking around with a bit of smoke damage. i'm guessing that my soldiers are falling unconscious when shot due to the smoke damage. but how they are coming back to life... no idea.

anyone else experience this?

so i go into any old mission. one of my soldiers gets shot and falls unconscious. the next turn, my soldier dies due to fatal wounds. when i finish the mission, guess what? my soldier is in sick bay!

anyone else experience this?

Yep. Known bug in xcomutil 9.60. Scott seems to be busy with other things, rather than updating xcomutil these days, but a friendly nudge might help remind him...

xcomutil 9.50 doesn't have the bug, I think. Give that a try?

• 4 weeks later...

As many of you know, I got my start playing X-COM: UFO Defense on the Playstation. In order to juice up my soldiers stats, I frequently sent them on "training" missions at a Muton base. Once there, my soldiers would stun one Muton with Stun Rods, move the body to a safe location and then revive it with Medi-Kits. After that, the soldiers would kill all the aliens except for the revived one, grab all the equipment not nailed down and head to the green rooms to abort the mission. Known by most forum regulars as the "alien base smash 'n grab mission", it was a great way to train as Mutons are tough to kill and once you have Psi are easy pickings. I ran literally thousands of these missions over the course of a campaign.

One time I forgot to equip my soldiers with the 6 Stun Rods I always brought along before the mission started. So once the mission starts up my troopers were scrambling to get their gloves on the cattle prods. After picking up everything on the ground I noticed I was missing 2 stun rods. Where did they go? After a comprehensive sweep of the base, I saw a couple white "+" signs in the map view. When my troops went to investigate, those Stun Rods were completely off the map! They must have spawned there for some reason! Needless to say, I always made sure my troops were fully equipped before the mission started. At the time though, I chalked it up to a corrupted save.

Fast forward to today. Sent a group of soldiers to a Muton alien base while playing with the CE version of the game. Because I forgot to bring along clips, my soldiers had no reason to use those normal pistols. Just for good measure, I did grab about 9 of the 26 pistols before the mission started. Start the mission and start searching the map for alien targets as usual. But low and behold, I noticed some pistols were missing. Where were they? They spawned off the map in the darkness! Luckily, I grabbed a screenie before I aborted. Looksie:

Weapons_outside_base.png

First of all, have any of you experienced this before? I'm thinking it has something to do with spwn points for weapons but I can't verify it yet. And so far, I have been unable to duplicate the results which lead me to believe that the alien base modules play a role. :)

- Zombie