Zombie's Ultimate X-COM Collection

Zombie

Well, more like the other way around. I figure I'm 80-85% complete, though it's a wild guess. There are probably some rogue non-english versions out there which I haven't even identified yet. And if you think about it, identifying what is a new version is a big help as it lets you focus more on those. I figure I spend 8-10 hours per week researching and another 1-2 hours getting things organized. That's a lot of time if you divide that into the number of versions I have so far. But I think all of that work pays off when you take a look at the collection as a whole. :D

Just grabbed the disc and it's actually the July 2000 issue.

Let's see - titles include full versions of:

X-COM UFO Defense (aka a stripped down version of CE)

Wing Commander

Alone in the Dark

Terminal Velocity

Duke Nukem II (I'm pretty sure it' was NUKUM due to some legal issue or other... oh hang on that was for the DN 1 set)

Kings Quest

Descent

The Need for Speed

Ultima Underworld

Ultima 1

Links golf

The Secret of Monkey Island

I just purchased this version for $9.95 last night! That's a whole lot cheaper than the current selling price of $40-$60. As an added bonus, it comes bundled with Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe which I've been meaning to try for a while. :D

Edit: I'm now the proud owner of the Apocalypse T-shirt! Got it for $12 so it was a great deal. Supposedly in near-perfect condition too. :laugh:

- Zombie

Just got my Apocalypse T-shirt in the mail this morning. All I can say is: Nice! Too bad it's a collectible otherwise I'd wear something like that everyday. (And especially when visiting the X-COM sites on the internet to get me in the mood). :D

Received the Classic Games Collection disc today also. Haven't had a chance to take a look at it though. I've been too busy doing USO/Zrbite testing and playing Railroad Tycoon Deluxe. (Great game, btw. Being a landscaper by trade, I always get the "Prettiest Park" award. It's only fitting). :laugh:

Oh, and here is the latest status update on my collection. I just found an Italian version of Interceptor which looks like the one for Apocalypse (the Leader variety)! Can't wait to get this one in the mail! :D

- Zombie

A couple weeks ago I purchased a copy of X-COM Apocalypse from a seller out of Germany. It was just the disc, but the graphics didn't match any of the versions in my collection. Well, today I got it in the mail and decided to put it into my drive to check out the contents. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it was Interceptor inside, not Apocalypse like the CD label says. A goof, a goof, I found a goof! :laugh: I'm still researching this version to hopefully get the box which goes along with it, but this version is pretty hard to come across and when I usually see it, it was only the disc. :D

- Zombie

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a copy of the Ultimate Strategy Archives (as seen at Moby Games) from a seller out of England. This was a complete big-box version, not the usual jewel case type. Anyway, I didn't realize how big this box actually was until I got it in the mail today. Holy smokes, it's literally HUGE! Not only doesn't it fit into my scanner, but it's actually bigger than the scanner itself! (Approximate dimensions: 14 5/8 x 9 1/4... or in metric 37x23.5 cm). :laugh: Don't know how I'm going to be able to show you guys the cover since my scanner is out of the question and I don't have a camera. My dad's scanner may be a little larger than mine, but if not I could probably borrow his camera. :D

- Zombie

Probably could do that if need be, but taking a pic would be so much easier (and faster). :D

Oh, now here's a real gem. I just purchased the Italian 3.5'' floppy version of TFTD. :laugh: Didn't know this one even existed up until a couple days ago. Looks fairly similar to the European version except for a few minor changes. As far as I can tell, it's complete too. (The box is pristine and that is normally a good indicator of the contents). The best part is that I got it for under 5 euros. :)

What this means is that there is probably a CD-ROM Italian version of TFTD out there as well. See? You buy one, and learn there is yet another you do not have. Kind of like spinning your wheels instead of making forward progress. But like I always say: "It's another one off the list". :D

- Zombie

I remember scanning the map that came with Morrowind so that I could print off a colour copy (lots of scissor work and taping resulted) and preserve the original. Much fun. At least that was easy because I could fold the map segments. Not so easy with a very large box!

Ah, going off on a tangent here, I remember picking up the box of some other title by Microprose some years back. Probably some tank war game. Looked like it had been on the shelf for a decade - probably did. Standard game box size, but dense as a brick. Probably could use it as real building material if you wanted. Just going off what I remember what you got in the Gunship 2000 box, like the keyboard overlay and the dense manual with helicopter and weapon schematics and advice on how real helicopters worked and some flying manouvers (something abot Immelman turns and lots of mentions of G forces I think), much of it wasn't really needed to enjoy the game. But mighty interesting. These days what you get in game boxes is pretty danged minimal. Detailed instructions on how to insert the CD - then you're left on your own to figure out the rest.

- NKF

I tried the scanning but it's just way too difficult to scan the proper area and piece it all back together. When I'm able to use my dad's digital camera, I'll take a pic of the box and be done with it. I also have a bunch of posters I'd like to include so pics are the way to go for those as well. I'm definitely not going to scan each section of a poster and piece it back together. :D

Just received the Italian version of TFTD in the mail today. I was literally jumping up and down saying "Damn, this is awesome" for half an hour! Really, it's totally amazing. The box is in excellent condition and includes everything: 4 floppies, game manual, tech supplement, Jake Gaston booklet and registration card. Took scans of everything this afternoon and spent a good chunk of time looking at all the stuff. Had a great time. :laugh:

Unfortunately with the recent server/host move at StrategyCore all the permissions are screwed up so I can't add any pics to the appropriate pages yet. Pete's looking into it, so hopefully by this weekend I can upload them. In the mean time, I'm just scanning the games as they come in. When this permission issue is resolved, I'll upload them en masse and unleash them on the unsuspecting general public all at once. :D

- Zombie

Good news, the permission problems with the site have been resolved (thanks Pete!), so I did some mass-uploading of game versions today. :laugh:

First up is the Game Compilations page which has 2 new additions: the Ultimate Strategy Archives and the Italian Mega3Pak. Then comes the much anticipated update to the TFTD Game Versions page: The Italian version in all it's complete glory. Last but not least (and keeping in the tradition of the Red, White and Green) the scans of the non-budget Italian version of Interceptor are up here. Lots of great stuff in this update so do try to take a look! :D

For the first time in about 4-5 months I don't have anything in my watch list in eBay, so that is both good and bad news. Good news for the fact that is curbs my spending and hints I'm getting close to a complete game collection, and bad news because for the versions I'm missing, they will have to wait a while. A few days ago I stumbled across a seller in Germany who listed the Acid (German Amiga) release of Enemy Unknown. (The Floppies are white in color)! Unfortunately, after contacting the seller, shipping was going to be prohibitive ($40 USD) so I decided to wait and hope I run across another copy sometime. Found another compilation recently featuring the following games:

• Civilization - Call to Power
  • Mayday
  • X-Com Apocalypse
  • M1 Tank Platoon II
  • Flying Saucer
  • GP 500
  • Mech Warrior 3
  • Max Montezuma
  • Kings Quest 8
  • Spirit of Speed 1937

Here again shipping to the United States was extremely prohibitive (32 Euros!!!) so that is out of the question. I'm confident I'll find other copies of this out there eventually. It'll just take some more time. :D

- Zombie

Reading the previous post about the recent, and welcome, additions to your ongoing collection, "Zombie", has given me some pause.

I should apologise beforehand for not calling you by your real first name on this occasion (for lack of knowing it only; as, otherwise, it would be far more appropriate)

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, fellow members, but Strategy Core is intended to be, at its most essential, the best community-based X-Com fan site worldwide. I suppose the following constitute a sizable portion of our largely unspoken goals:

- to promote awareness of the X-Com games and brand name

- to promote the resurgence of X-Com, if possible in the form of a new official game

- to provide a focal point for all fans to find accurate information about the released and to-release X-Com games, their history, incarnations, known issues, internal timeline, patching and fixing, modding, diverse software tools, instructions on how to get running on multiple platforms, maintainance in current and upcoming operating systems, etc

I can't, therefore, help but register this most significant oversight: nobody here is backing or sponsoring "Zombie"'s efforts.

We are, in my opinion, losing an opportunity that likely won't be at hand _ever_ again: the possible complete gathering and preservation for posterity of physical copies and digital files of the several versions of each X-Com game released to date. Of course, regarding completion, it's probably quite a ways off, but it's a start (how about those Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Saudi Arabian versions ? :laugh:)

With regards to my reasoning, a couple of points are worth mentioning and should be made clear:

- the collection's ownership remains undisputed (it's "Zombie"'s)

- if it went to a vote I believe you'd agree we could hardly hope for a better custodian for an X-Com collection

- Strategy Core sponsorship/endorsement makes sure photos and scans are publicly available for viewing/consultation

- items on the collection are a Strategy Core exclusive online not to be made available (online) elsewhere without explicit permission

- Strategy Core and "Zombie" remain co-responsible for the long-term safekeeping of the collected items, actively preventing their degradation/deterioration in the coming decades

- should "Zombie" ever consider selling the collected items Strategy Core is to be given notice and preference for acquisition purposes (at which point new personal or joint ownership as well as safekeeping is to be decided)

- forethought requires that certain measures be taken by "Zombie" to ensure that, in case of his demise, the collection is preserved, and that the precepts above prevail

- should the current or future holder of the actual X-Com brand name/franchise seek to gain ownership of the collection, it should be agreed upon in written and legally binding form that the same care and terms are to be upheld

- any monetary benefits resulting from ownership are to be committed to the growth and preservation of the collection, and the good standing of its custodian or custodians as agreed upon in conjunction and agreement with Strategy Core

This approach fits only too naturally with (and would finally embody) Strategy Core's "X-Com: Resurrection" overall initiative. Yes, it needs money and coordination for the collection and Strategy Core management/uptime - then again, how else would we ever accomplish anything ?

I am also serious about starting conservation efforts on the shorter-term (at least backup on the digital side of things). I've looked as well at a few concrete middle/long-term options and one appeared to really set itself apart by the services provided: Iron Mountain.

Links

Of course I have PayPal. :D

Some points I'd like to make about your post Thorondor:

• I'm not planning on leaving StrategyCore or the X-COM community anytime soon (I have too much time and effort invested here).
  • I'm not planning on ever selling my collection either (again, too much is invested to give it up).
  • If for whatever reason I should meet my maker, I'll leave directions with someone close to pass it on to SC. However, I'm planning to live to a ripe old age... :laugh:
  • If someone other than SC contacts me hoping to purchase or acquire my collection (even Take2) I'll politely tell them no thanks, no matter what the offering price is. Another reason is I can't trust anyone to take care of the collection as well as I could.
  • If StrategyCore should disappear/dissolve for some reason (things like this happen), then most likely I'll have to create my own site to offer pics/scans of the games. If SC disappears and I want to get rid of my collection, well, we'll decide what happens when that bridge needs to be crossed. I'm sure there would be a fan or two around who would be able to handle overseeing it.
  • At this point in time, my collection is, well, mine and mine alone. StrategyCore nor anyone else has the right to dictate how I run my operation or question my acquisition techniques. If people want to donate money, time or a game to me or my collection, I'll make every effort to give them due consideration. Shall the cost of my investment in the collection ever be met or exceeded by donations from others, then of course all of the investors will have primary voting rights on what happens. This is a doubtful scenario as the bulk of the game versions have already been collected. But this needed to be explained.

If you are not concerned with the particulars and still want to help there are a number if ways you can do so.

1. I'll be happy to accept any donations of money for acquiring game versions. Maybe Pete can create a donation script for the site to make this easier for people.
  2. I'll also accept donations of actual game versions I don't already have (contact me first to double check on the status as this changes almost weekly). :D
  3. I'm also in need of "mediators" to help in acquiring items from sellers in countries who will not ship to me or the cost of shipping would otherwise be prohibitive. By "mediator" I mean someone who can acquire an item directly and pass it on to me. If you want to donate time and money in this manner, it would be welcome. Otherwise I could compensate your efforts by covering all the incurred costs upon safe receipt of the item.
  4. I'm happy to hear from people who have information concerning an item for sale which I may not know about. (I have saved searches for a few of the different ebays but some items are bound to fall through the cracks).

Any type of effort will be rewarded with a thanks on the relevant site page. If you prefer to remain an anonymous benefactor, I'll honor that request as well.

In a perfect world, an international site such as this would be a powerful force to contend with in acquiring game versions. (That's why I like it here so much as the diversity of the community is incredible and refreshing). But most of the community is fairly young and relatively unable/unwilling to help in any major capacity. That's not a big detriment, though as time goes on my hope is that more people would consider lending a hand. The biggest problem with the X-COM community as I see it (and this is only my opinion) is we are not all dedicated to a single game such as X-COM. Most people play the games in the X-COM series infrequently and prefer to focus on other "newer" titles to keep their interest in gaming alive. Even fewer belong to the community by being a member of any of the popular sites such as this. Of those, there are very few people who visit and can help. So the prospects of any major involvement is dubious at best. But as before, I'll be happy for any type of contribution people can muster. :)

- Zombie

Just from the number of regulars that still actively post here, you've got a generous scattering around the world. Glad to help if you find any eBay sellers in my neck of the woods.

I have not seen to many for sale on my local auction site lately - not even novelty pirated copies. That just leaves private sellers using eBay. Still, never know what might turn up at garage sales.

I still have two unopened copies of the Red Ant budget release of UFO I sent you a while back - but not sure what good they'd do. :laugh:

- NKF

I still have two unopened copies of the Red Ant budget release of UFO I sent you a while back - but not sure what good they'd do. :D

You better hold onto them. Wait a couple years, then sell 'em on ebay with the word "RARE" plastered all over the listing. I haven't seen this version except from you so you might be able to get a good price for it. Then again, it's just a raw disc without the usual goodies which are in a full release. You never know though... Ebay is a strange creature sometimes! :laugh:

Not sure if anyone noticed, but I added a scan of the official 3.5" Floppy demo for Enemy Unknown to our Demo page the other day. This came hidden in an American 3.5" Floppy version box of Ufo Defense. What a great bonus! I haven't seen this advertised anywhere. Cool stuff and really rare too. Gotta love sellers who take care of their things and keep everything together. Nice! :D

- Zombie

This is one of a kind material, really. I like the big screenshots and your inside notes as well. :laugh:

Thanks. :D I put that page up a couple years ago after finding the .lbm pics in the demo. (They were pretty small so I doubled the size before uploading them to make it easier to read). Thought it would be a good idea to give people some of my thoughts on the screenies too, just for a bit of flavor. They looked so... bare, without a description. When I added the pic of the Demo floppy I reformatted the page a little too. Not that anyone really cares, but I do some work around here. :)

The other day I won an auction for the TFTD demo on a floppy. It's not an official demo as far as I know, it was just put out by PC Gamer in 1995 (so a rerelease of sorts). Still, it's good to have too (until I find the official demo release, if it exists). And today I purchased the Power, Corruption & Lies German version containing EU. Looks to be a complete version with some rare goodies in there. Selling price was under 3 euros but shipping was a beast (~14 eur). Not a bad price all things considered though. :D

- Zombie

Great story! Do you remember if it looked like this?:

TFTD_Demo.JPG

I of course got my start on the Playstation version of UFO: Defense. It was a great port. A lot of the bugs were fixed (such as the proximity grenades, vertical waypoint blaster bomb, mission ending properly when all the aliens were dead or stunned). There were some good improvements too (sounds were top-notch, animated UFOpaedia entries for the craft, and the biggest of all: the ability to open a door without stepping through)! I really loved that version except for the exorbitant game load times of a minute or more. But it forced you to play fair as reloading was a total pain. :laugh:

- Zombie

A lot of the bugs were fixed (such as the proximity grenades, vertical waypoint blaster bomb, mission ending properly when all the aliens were dead or stunned).

Didn't the B-Bomb bug get introduced later on? :laugh:

There were some good improvements too (sounds were top-notch, animated UFOpaedia entries for the craft, and the biggest of all: the ability to open a door without stepping through)!

Animated UFOpedia entries, eh? Now that sounds like something worth seeing... :D

Didn't the B-Bomb bug get introduced later on? :)

I believe it was introduced in the CE version, yes. That's what I'm comparing the PSX version to since I rarely use the DOS version. :D

Animated UFOpedia entries, eh? Now that sounds like something worth seeing... :laugh:

The craft spin around on an inclined angle (much like a car parked on a ramp). It's pretty cool. :D All the other entries are unanimated though. It almost seems like the programmers got a good idea but only half-implemented it. That's too bad.

- Zombie

I would like to take this time to thank both Thorondor and Slaughter for their recent (and very large) contributions to my efforts! Thanks guys, it is much appreciated! :laugh:

For anyone else wanting to contribute, please don't be put off by thinking you have to give a lot. Every little bit brings me (and us) that much closer to a complete collection. :D

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since I last posted simply because there isn't much to report. There are a few versions which are still assumed to be in-transit from overseas (I recall I agreed to surface mail because airmail was super expensive), but other than that it's been quiet. Been looking on ebay everyday (sometimes even twice a day if I have the time) to check for versions which I do not have. But there isn't anything "new" out there right now.

Sent a seller in the UK a message asking about possibly shipping an Amiga version to the US a week ago. He finally got back to me today with a quote of 3-4 GBP (darn cheap if you ask me) so I purchased it outright. It appears to be a budget A1200/4000 Amiga version which resembles the budget Acid A500 release along with the garish colors. But it has a completely different box. Interesting to say the least. :)

As always, I'll be sure to let everyone know when I put scans of the covers up. :)

- Zombie

I did spot an appealing item a little while back that you may be acquainted with, Zombie. But I don't suppose it's up for sale: an Enemy Unknown marketing standee.

EU Producer, Mr.Stuart Whyte (now of Harry Potter fame?! :)), had that and some other material photographed/scanned on this page (scroll down a bit for the standee, under Promotional items).

You might want to browse by just in case...

::

Packages in surface transit: "Hidden movement" :)

I know all about it. Contacted Mr Whyte a couple months back and he was nice enough to send me some newer scans of the UBLO Bubblegum packaging. (See our Promotional Items page). :)

I asked if he was willing to sell those items to me (especially the standee), but he said that he wouldn't because they hold too much sentimental value. (Fair enough, I understand that completely). He also mentioned he couldn't find the standee so wasn't able to send me any newer pics of it. Sent him a follow-up email but he never replied back. So I don't know what "couldn't find" means in this case. Either it's lost and gone for good, or he has it stored away and forgot where. Whatever the case, I won't be getting my hands on it anytime soon. :)

- Zombie