Zombie's Ultimate X-COM Collection

Zombie

I still have a good few boxes full of floppy disks and, even though I used to buy quality brands (BASF, TDK, Memory Professional Line, Sony, etc), I remember Bad sectors and failed CRC checks on zipped files always creeping up.

The old Norton Disk Doctor utility (part of Noton Utilities 8.0 on DOS) was handy at recovering at least some of them, though hearing the floppy disk drive grind endlessly sometimes during the process could be, shall we say, a little maddening when trying to rescue important data (like precious X-Com savegame files!). :)

I just went through some of them floppies and I spotted quite a few oldies:

- Prince of Persia

- SimCity

- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (11 disks!)

- Wolfenstein 3D + Spear of Destiny (a sort of extra missions pack)

- Doom + Doom 2

- Dune II

- Battle Isle 2

- Warlords 2

Had some fun times playing a number of these. The first two I used to play on my first PC: a monstrous, hugely expensive 286. ;)

Curiously I spotted a floppy amid all the others which says Imation on its metalic slide with a hand holding a wand, leaving a trail of stars. Someone must have offered it sometime, because I'm sure I didn't buy those and I never even knew I had one... :)

::

Anyway, now I have an urge to replay a number of those ancient games - and this is all your fault, Zombie! :)

:)

I still have a good few boxes full of floppy disks and, even though I used to buy quality brands (BASF, TDK, Memory Professional Line, Sony, etc), I remember Bad sectors and failed CRC checks on zipped files always creeping up.

I don't think it really mattered what brand of empty media you purchased as all of them were manufactured in China utilizing the same production standards. Back in the day I used Memorex most often (at least for tapes and 5.25" floppies) but I usually never had to buy many disks or tapes simply because I nabbed them from everyone after they got done with it at the end of an assignment in the computer lab. I literally had boxes of slightly used 5.25" floppies at one time. :)

Anyway, now I have an urge to replay a number of those ancient games - and this is all your fault, Zombie! :)

Well, your post reminded me that I haven't played SimCity in a long time and now I have the urge. That's all your fault, Thorondor! ;)

- Zombie

As long as the disk drive itself isn't damaging the disks, that's generally what counts. Just watch out for the really generic or no-name or outright dodgy brands. Their standards are practically non-existent and you're really putting yourself on the line with them. Perhaps not so much for the media, but for any form of electronic machinery.

The clicks, whirs and grinds the floppy drives used to make were (and still are) very concerning every time they occur - especially when performing operations that aren't disk intensive. My earlier comment on progress was really directed at our move towards the flash drives, which don't have all these moving bits. They have their problems too, but I guess they're not quite as terror-inducing as the old floppy drive on the PC. ;)

Just recalling my experiences with the Apple IIe and its floppy drives, I too recall that I didn't have to replace my data disks as regularly as I did on my PC. I think the reason the 5" disks on them were more reliable was because they didn't have as much disk space to damage as the double density (was that the term?) disks we later started to use on the PC. Newer disks had less surface and more data to store, so I imagine the more complicated machinery was more prone to error. Do wish I got to see the floppy disk that was one size larger than the old 5" floppy.

- NKF

The clicks, whirs and grinds the floppy drives used to make were (and still are) very concerning every time they occur - especially when performing operations that aren't disk intensive. My earlier comment on progress was really directed at our move towards the flash drives, which don't have all these moving bits. They have their problems too, but I guess they're not quite as terror-inducing as the old floppy drive on the PC. :)

LOL, yup my heart sinks every time I hear that sound. Probably the worst sound a computer could make. Well, except for a motherboard or HDD failing: that has a distinctive sound too. ;)

Just recalling my experiences with the Apple IIe and its floppy drives, I too recall that I didn't have to replace my data disks as regularly as I did on my PC. I think the reason the 5" disks on them were more reliable was because they didn't have as much disk space to damage as the double density (was that the term?) disks we later started to use on the PC. Newer disks had less surface and more data to store, so I imagine the more complicated machinery was more prone to error.

I could have sworn that I had double density floppies for the Apple... no problems with any of the 5.25" discs no matter what the density was. I was reading the discussion page for the floppy article at the English Wikipedia and few people had trouble with 5.25" disks as well. Could well be the amount of data being crammed on a disk which was causing all these problems.

Do wish I got to see the floppy disk that was one size larger than the old 5" floppy.

Here's a pic from the wiki showing the three popular sizes. The 8" variety has to be seen in-person to grasp just how big these things actually were:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

Back in my really early university days I took a computer programming course which used a DEC MiroVax VMS 4 system. It had a 8" floppy drive on it, but we were never allowed into the server room to take a good look at it - only a few seconds glance from the doorway was allowed. Anyhow, for our first assignment we were asked to familiarize ourselves with the system and once that was done we were to access a program on the professor's account and "rigorously test it" (his exact words). I took this to the extreme as usual. While all the other students came back with the usual errors intentionally left in by the author, I came back with those plus a handful of other unintended ones. I used letters, numbers and a combination of the two, plus extrema values which actually locked up the system and prevented others from logging in (gotta love time-share systems). Basically I crashed it. I really felt bad about it and when I saw the professor going into the server room later that day with a big file box I asked him if there was anything I could do to help him out. He said "sure" and we spent the next hour and a half feeding 8" floppies from that box to reinstall the OS. One of my fondest memories. (We became friends after this no doubt because I offered to help). Not really on topic, but thought you might want to hear it. :)

While I'm at it, we also used a teleprinter as an ad hoc "printer" for this computer system called a DECwriter. I found a picture containing it at the wiki too (printer is on the far left):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Vax780_small.jpeg

I think the printer on the image is the earlier LA30 variety. We used either the LA36 model or the LA120. Don't quite remember which one anymore (must've been the 120 since that also has terminal capability) but it used the normal green fanfold paper printed in landscape on the huge 14x11 paper size. Quite the amusing piece of machinery. Made an enormous racket while printing and everyone dreaded using it because it was unwieldy, backwards and temperamental. Me, I loved the thing. :)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

I just got really lucky today. I found a complete copy of the Powerplus Amiga (500?) version of EU yesterday and placed a bid for up to $100. Won it for the unheard of price of $16. (Add about $8 for shipping and the total was ~$24, still a great deal for an almost-new looking copy of this rare gem). It looks exactly like the Powerplus Version 2 found in my EU Game Versions page, except of course there are floppies inside. Awesome stuff - can't wait to get this. ;)

Found an incomplete copy of EU for the Amiga 500 with different looking floppies (bigger lettering). Not sure if I have this, I'll have to take a closer look at my collection.

Edit: Nevermind, I have it already (German Amiga 500). :oh:

Also found an Apocalypse version with some kind of "clue book". I haven't ever heard of this, nor do any of my European versions come with it standard. It may be official, but it also might be an aftermarket creation. (Quite possible it is aftermarket, but professionally done and sold in a retail store in Germany as it looks really slick). Anyway, it's pretty expensive ($75 USD with shipping) so I'm going to have to think on this a little bit. Can't really pass this up though. :)

So yeah, a little activity indeed. :)

- Zombie

Purchased 2 more X-COM items today. The first is another compilation (shrink wrapped to boot, but it's only a jewel case). Not sure which game in the series is represented so it'll be a mystery until I get it. The seller didn't know much about games so I got it for really cheap. I had to persuade her to relist it as she was almost going to donate it somewhere. :) The second is a complete European copy of TFTD on floppies (the one I have now only has a few items). And when I say complete, I mean complete: everything is present and in great shape. And what makes this special is that it comes with the patch disk from Microprose! Now I'll have patch disks for both EU and TFTD. *drools* :oh:

When it rains it pours. I haven't found much all summer and now there's a lot of stuff on the market. Maybe people are doing some closet cleaning. ;)

I'm sure some of you know about this site called Craigslist, it's a lot like eBay in a way except more personal and how shall I put this... archaic. Well, I looked there for X-COM merchandise but didn't find anything. Oh well, it was worth a shot at least. :)

- Zombie

Hmm, I should definitely look for my Apocalypse poster, it was really nice, depicting Mega Primus attacked by UFOs and a couple of Multi Worms getting away in the distance facing the camera :oh:

edit: found something interesting, remember the "don't get hurt" poster in the Apocalypse load screen? well, take a look at this ;) Still not the poster I was talking about.

bonus!

Hmm, I should definitely look for my Apocalypse poster, it was really nice, depicting Mega Primus attacked by UFOs and a couple of Multi Worms getting away in the distance facing the camera :)

Aye, it is a good poster. Only came with the US version of Apoc I believe. One of these days I need to get a digital camera to take a pic of it (along with the Interceptor poster which is cool too). BTW, the illustration was done by Tim White who was responsible for creating the alien world and models. Very talented guy. ;)

edit: found something interesting, remember the "don't get hurt" poster in the Apocalypse load screen? well, take a look at this :) Still not the poster I was talking about.

bonus!

You know, I always thought that "don't get hurt" poster in-game looked very familiar. That propaganda pic was in my history textbook in high school. Well noticed! :oh:

----------

Not that this matters to anyone but myself, but the TFTD floppy version which I purchased the other day is now being sent via airmail (not surface) from the UK. Apparently the seller overestimated the weight and decided to upgrade the shipping method instead of refunding the difference. Doesn't bother me any as I'll get it a whole lot sooner. :)

- Zombie

I went to the store this morning to get some groceries and when I came back the door to my apartment was ajar a bit. When I looked inside, here were two packages. Christmas? Um, no, but close. ;)

The smaller package contained the compilation. It is called "tour de force, full on action game pack" released by Quantum Axcess. Here's the game listing: Baryon, Transport Tycoon, X-COM UFO Defense, X-COM Terror From The Deep, Sub War 2050, F117A Stealth Fighter, Alone In The Dark 3, Lemmings 3D, Zorro, Slipstream 5000, Genocide 2 and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Nice, it had both EU and TFTD! And still in the shrink wrap. :)

The other box contained the TFTD European floppy version of the game. When I looked at the Update Disk, it almost seemed like it wasn't official because the label was so plain. But the box also contained the original documentation which came along with the patch disk (V2.0). So it is official! Microprose stationary doesn't lie. :oh:

- Zombie

And for today's message, Zombie: backup, backup, backup... :)

That'll be next on my list. ;)

First things first though. I spent a better chunk of this afternoon reorganizing my collection into separate smaller file boxes instead of one big box. I can see it will make a difference because not only will it be easier to search for missing versions, but also let's me focus on a single section instead of jumping around. Gotta see if I can get a few standard sized apple boxes as those are perfect: sturdy, comes with handles and is nearly the correct size for fitting all the versions inside with plenty of room for expansion. Another trip to the supermarket to talk to the produce manager is on the horizon I see. :)

There is one more residual item which I may purchase yet. It's another somewhat rare compilation. Pretty expensive ($60) for just a disc and sleeve. I'm confident that I could get another one for a cheaper price if it would show up more often on eBay, but this is the first copy I've seen in 3 years so I may just have to fork over the cash. I've got some good deals recently so those will make up for this one (price averaging and all that). :oh:

- Zombie

Also found an Apocalypse version with some kind of "clue book". I haven't ever heard of this, nor do any of my European versions come with it standard. It may be official, but it also might be an aftermarket creation. (Quite possible it is aftermarket, but professionally done and sold in a retail store in Germany as it looks really slick). Anyway, it's pretty expensive ($75 USD with shipping) so I'm going to have to think on this a little bit. Can't really pass this up though. :oh:

Just amazing. I got this in the mail today and I'm blown away. Everything is brand spanking new, not a scuff or crease anywhere. It literally glows. And that Clue Book is aftermarket all right but very well done - complete with tables and pictures on glossy stock. Written (in German) by Carsten Borgmeier, ISBN: 3-929247-09-7,

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of archiving, I went to the local WalMart the other day and purchased a 25-pack of DVD-Rs. One of them should be plenty for all my X-COM stuff though. As an aside, WalMart still sells blank VHS tapes. I was pretty surprised at this. :oh:

Some more purchases to report. I bought another copy of the Ultimate Strategy Archives, but this time it's in a normal sized box. Interesting. Purchased a compilation from a German seller which contains "X-Com Terran Defense Force". This was the name given for the US demo, but I have no idea if this is a demo or not - guess I'll find out when I get it. And I finally found (and purchased) a copy of the European "Russian" version of Apocalypse. I knew this existed from Mouse Nightshirt, but haven't seen it up for sale. Not sure of its condition as it's from a French seller, but it looks pretty good. ;)

- Zombie

Purchased a compilation from a German seller which contains "X-Com Terran Defense Force". This was the name given for the US demo, but I have no idea if this is a demo or not - guess I'll find out when I get it.

Got this in the mail today and indeed, it only contains the demo of Enemy Unknown. Surprisingly though, the folder it is in is named xcom2. ;) The other programs which come with it are: Ancient Death Watch, Paint Shop Pro :oh:, Robotmaze III and Christmas Jetpack. Paint Shop Pro was a head scratcher since it isn't a game, but I guess the reason why it's in there is because it's a demo. :)

- Zombie

Some more purchases to report. I bought another copy of the Ultimate Strategy Archives, but this time it's in a normal sized box. Interesting.

Turns out this was a French version! (You can see the pics at https://www.strategycore.co.uk/databank/ser...-compilations/). Makes sense this is a French version because I purchased this off a seller from Quebec, Canada. :) It's not complete though: the big multi-CD case is gone and has 4 single hard shell compact cases (not that bad because I can find a new case for cheap) and it's missing the manual and registration book. On the bright side, the box is in perfect condition - I only had to remove a price sticker. I'll keep looking for another version which is complete, but even if it isn't, I can still mix and match the best of both copies. :)

Spent about an hour trying to remember how to add images to the new site CMS software and getting it formatted properly. Can't say this CMS is very user friendly and I'm not looking forward to adding the extra compilation versions I have if it means I'll be spending an hour for every two images. (In the old CMS I could add 10+ images at a clip easily, this CMS it's one at a time and completely backwards, argh). ;) One of Murphy's Laws of Technology: "New systems generate new problems". :oh:

- Zombie

"New systems generate new problems" indeed, Zombie - prepare yourself to be spending yet a bit more quality time with said (sad? :oh:) new system, since the link in your post delivers me to a page with the following notice:

The page you are trying to access does not exist.

If you believe you are receiving this message in error, please contact us.

Should we consider ourselves contacted?... ;)

since the link in your post delivers me to a page with the following notice:

Should we consider ourselves contacted?... :)

Apologies, it's amazing what an extra character will do in a URL. Link fixed above (could always just visit the site and navigate to the page from there). :oh:

"New systems generate new problems" indeed, Zombie - prepare yourself to be spending yet a bit more quality time with said (sad? ;)) new system...

I think I found a way around it last night/this morning. Hopefully it'll save me some time. :)

- Zombie

Thanks for fixing the link, Zombie ;)

I went over and browsed a bit. Ultimate Strategy Archives is an appealing bundle with a healthy serving of top notch series (X-Com, JA, Civ, HOMM). I noticed Dark Colony too and the name sparked a memory...

I went looking and I still have the game in its original brown-sleeved box. The alien creature design is one of the things I liked about it and the environs/terrain features (the flora especially) where pretty nice as well actually, with day/night cycle, etc.

Also memorable to me is the intro

showcasing, shall we say, a regrettable human/alien inability to communicate.

Though a certain common language _is_ available of course... :oh:

So the sword is is mightier than the pen after all. :)

For the Ultimate Strategy Archives, I'm missing the German version and according to MobyGames here I'm also missing a Polish version. Polish? That'll be a tough one to find. :)

Looks like my collection is better than MobyGames in most areas now. I'm missing a version here and there, but not too bad otherwise. The biggest issues is of course getting all the UFO EU Amiga versions represented. I have a good start, but it's nowhere near done. The European and Portuguese Em@il games are next to impossible to find for some reason (and I've been looking now for a long time). Enforcer has a couple tough ones as well: a Portuguese version and now I noticed someone put up a Brazilian version at Moby. Yipes, now that will be hard to find. If anybody from Brazil is reading this, I need your help obtaining this. :)

I added box scans of the Power Corruption & Lies German version to the compilation page today (link a couple posts above). There's a lot of stuff in this version so I'll need to do a lot of scanning. :oh:

Edit: got about half the German & English PCL version materials scanned. I figure I should have complete scans for both up tomorrow sometime. Like I said, there's a ton of stuff. ;)

- Zombie

Edit: got about half the German & English PCL version materials scanned. I figure I should have complete scans for both up tomorrow sometime. Like I said, there's a ton of stuff. :oh:

This took a little longer than I anticipated. Had to help a noob with a computer problem which basically blew my entire afternoon. Also had some scanning issues (dirty glass, improper resolution). Other than that, scanning itself went smooth. It just took a long time. (4 hours on and off). I'll try to get the scans up tomorrow on the relevant site page. ;)

- Zombie

Well, the scans for the German and English Power, Corruption & Lies compilations are up at the proper page. Uploading the images to the site thankfully didn't take too long. Adding the images into the page proved to be a little problematic but I found some shortcuts which sped things up near the end. Just to give you an idea on the work involved, I did 45 scans between these versions. It would have been more but I reused any which were identical between the two. :)

I didn't realize this until today, but the German version doesn't come with Dune II like the English version does. Must've been some regional issues at the time. I'm not sure if the German version is complete. If it follows the English version, it should come with a F14 Flying Key. And I'm not sure if the English version is complete either: it should come with a BASS (Beneath A Steel Sky) "Stat" Handbook like the German one (that yellow booklet). Well, I'll continue to keep an eye out for these versions just in case I find one more complete. Unlikely, but not impossible. ;)

Received a new shrinkwrapped American Interceptor version in the mail today. There is just a little bit of the plastic torn off of it but, hey, that's fine. It's NEW. :) Supposedly the postman delivered something to my parents place by mistake the other day. Not sure what it is as I purchased way too much stuff off eBay in the last month to keep track of it all. It may be an Italian game magazine featuring an article on the Amiga UFO. Next time I go home I'll let you guys know.

Not sure what I'll scan next, but I'm probably going to go right down the line on the compilations page... which would mean Master of Orion/UFO Twin pack. :oh:

- Zombie

Wow, Zombie, you're really putting your back into it and it shows... Very nice progress! :oh:

Dune II: Battle for Arrakis is definitely a personal favourite of mine as well - so I couldn't help but notice (in the Power, Corruption & Lies UK pack) how misleadingly - uuh - lush-green? the screenshot on the back (or sleeve back for that matter) purportedly portrays typical in-game environs... ;)

Also, regarding the European and Portuguese Em@il games you mention on a previous post, I think I've never even ran into those at retail, actually. So, the game's afoot, I guess... :)

Wow, Zombie, you're really putting your back into it and it shows... Very nice progress! ;)

And now the Master Of Orion/UFO Twin Pack scans are up as well. Some good stuff in there. My favorite has to be the TFTD Advert. Hope that scan came out all right, it was a little crinkled and I tried to flatten it out underneath my stack of X-COM strategy guides. Hopefully it doesn't show too bad. So that's another 14 scans. *puts fan on scanner* :oh:

By the way, take a look at the UFO Manual for the Power Corruption and Lies and compare that the the manual contained in MOO/UFO. Those manuals have the words "English" or "Deutsch" printed on the front cover. Something different. :)

Also, regarding the European and Portuguese Em@il games you mention on a previous post, I think I've never even ran into those at retail, actually. So, the game's afoot, I guess... :)

Just to verify, you haven't seen them, right? :)

- Zombie