Zombie's Ultimate X-COM Collection

Zombie

Too bad about the standee, though, as it would be quite an addition.

Indeed it's almost a one-of-a-kind item, so trying to find another one like it would be next to impossible. Would be nice to acquire it as a collection just wouldn't be complete otherwise. :) Maybe I'll try to contact Mr Whyte again to find out exactly what's up with it. :) Though, I hate to be a pest.

- Zombie

Just received a complete version of the UFO/Syndicate Telstar Doubles in the mail today. The copy I had only had the English instructions, but the complete package contains both English and French documentation. (Kinda neat to see the manual in French btw). I'll see if I can get the scans of it up tomorrow. :)

- Zombie

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since I posted here. Really not much new to report. Did manage to find a couple versions which I didn't have, but they are going to take some time getting here. (Slow boat to China syndrome). :)

Anyhow, I got a German compilation version in the mail today. It's called "The Game Hits Vol.1". Inside are 10 different games including the botched-up labeling of X-COM Interceptor - it says Apocalypse on the disc but the contents of the disc itself is Interceptor. :) Kinda confusing really. The outer box correctly shows that Interceptor is inside, but the inner box shows Apocalypse is. Crazy error, but it's really funny too. The box is kinda big so I'm going to have to take pictures of it. :)

@NKF: Saw a X-COM Unknown Terror compilation for sale a month back for super-expensive (~$170 USD). It didn't sell (surprise, surprise. The X-COM market can't support a price like that). Now it's up for auction again for ~$70 USD. Not a bad price, but it's still too rich for your blood. :)

Edit: just remembered I purchased a "lot" (group) of games from someone a while back. In it was the X-COM Collector's Edition (discs only). Total price? Under $15 USD. Me thinks I can sell that for a lot more than 15 bucks. Any proceeds from this will of course go back to getting more versions for my collection. I also got a brand-spanking new version of the Ultimate Strategy Archives compilation coming soon. Price for that was something like $20 USD. My other version which has some scuffing and is squashed a little will again be sold for (hopefully) a slight profit. I'm going to wait a little though: the market is slowly starting to improve again which means there will be a smaller supply and thus a higher demand (ie, I can make more money). If any of you guys are looking for something in particular, let me know before I sell. I'll cut you a deal. :)

- Zombie

"The Game Hits" is indeed a suitable title given all the classics it packs together. The downside, I suppose, is all that shelf space it eats up. A few more of those and you'll have to sleep outdoors, Zombie :)

::

Interlude: slow boating...

"Row, row, row your boat,

Gently down the stream.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,

Life is but a dream."

:)

"The Game Hits" is indeed a suitable title given all the classics it packs together. The downside, I suppose, is all that shelf space it eats up. A few more of those and you'll have to sleep outdoors, Zombie :)

It's not that bad. The dimensions of it are approximately 1 foot x 1 foot x 3/4 inch (sorry for the English measurements, it takes me too long to convert the dimensions to a suitable metric number). The Ultimate Strategy Archive box is about double the thickness, 1.5 times the length and the same width. So that's big. :)

- Zombie

Heh, with those prices coupled with the unpredictable exchange rate, I think nostalgia can wait a bit longer. The real novelty would've been the intro.exe-less UFO and the OSG's. Since I already have dos copies of both games, a cheaper route might be to seek out the OSGs instead. But then again, over the last year I've managed to pick up a few items that I never ever thought I'd get in my lifetime, so you never know what will happen.

What titles did you get in that game bundle? (or did I miss it in an earlier post?) Am on the lookout for a few other olde titles, so could be in the market for some.

- NKF

What titles did you get in that game bundle? (or did I miss it in an earlier post?) Am on the lookout for a few other olde titles, so could be in the market for some.

I didn't post the full contents before, so since you've asked for it, you've got it:

• GP 500
  • Spirit of Speed
  • Max Montezuma
  • Kings Quest 8
  • M1 Tank Platoon 2
  • X-COM: Apocalypse
  • Mayday
  • Civilization: Call to Power
  • Flying Saucer
  • Mech Warrior 3

Looks to be a collection of tiles from Microprose, Software 2000, Hasbro and ActiVision, combined by JoWooD. I should note that the mis-labeled disk I purchased a while back was certainly from this collection (it included a cardboard cutout pic of the Apoc box). :)

- Zombie

I got a nice surprise this afternoon. There sitting in between the doors was a package from Germany. Took me a while to figure out what it was, but when I opened it up everything became clear. It was the German edition of the Power, Corruption & Lies compilation. Wow, that took neary a month and a half to get to me, but it's worth the wait. Here's why:

The package itself is in surperb (almost new) condition. Pristine in every respect. But when I opened up the box, I got a really great surprise. It's complete. And actually, one step better than complete: it includes the zip-lock baggie where the manuals came in, and as a bonus, the original German store receipt dated 1997! Amazing! I don't think I could find a better copy (like still in the shrinkwrap cellophane), and even if I could, it wouldn't have the charm and interest of the one I have now. :)

My computer is on the fritz, so I can't put a scan of the contents up yet, but whenever I get my computer woes ironed out I'll put up scans of this great compilation. :)

- Zombie

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get around to scanning the Power Corruption & Lies German version yet, because in the meantime I have some more scanning material. That's right, I'm now the proud owner of the German 3.5" floppy version! Nearly complete superb condition and with that comes a hefty price tag to boot (~$100 USD). Yeah, it's a wildly expensive purchase but this version of the game is nearly impossible to find in any condition. In my years looking, I haven't found this version even once. :)

So the scans are up at the UFO Game Versions page. Some of you might notice that there is a scan of a table containing the copy protection codes. At first I thought that this was OE (Original Equipment, ie, comes standard with the version), but after closer inspection it appears to be something a player cooked up to make life easier. Still, it was a good find: I usually don't find things created by players in the games I have purchased so far. Oh, and the player also put the contents of the floppies on a CD-ROM too! That's even better since that doesn't mean I'll have to do a risky install from the floppies. :)

- Zombie

Yaaay! :) If the images are any indication it's in fantastic shape, Zombie! :)

While I was perusing I thought to compare the scans of the boxes that share the same cover art. Here's what I found:

- only the Amiga 500 (Budget Release: Acid) has the art cut in such way. Note that, as a result, the black bar across the bottom covers a different part of the weapon held by the man prominently featured on the left corner. All the smaller men in the lower bottom are left out as well.

- the only place where you get to clearly see the head and weapon of the man in the center, as well as some equally 'exclusive' appendages of the alien closest to him is on the manual of the German version you've just acquired! :) (though it has a good chunk of the illustration trimmed on the right hand side)

- though not exactly of great quality :), the most complete version (scanned here, at least) of the box cover illustration is the one from the Sold Out version's sleeve where you can see several trees on the left and right edges, and 'extends' down to expose the shooter's full elbow.

Incidentally: do we know who created this illustration for Enemy Unknown?

Interesting, I never really looked at which version had the most complete illustration on the front cover. I wonder how wide the original copy is? Hmmm. :)

Incidentally: do we know who created this illustration for Enemy Unknown?

Have no idea, but my guess is Sarah Warburton as she was listed as the head of packaging design. If not, I'm sure Drewid (Drew Northcott) would know. :)

- Zombie

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been a while since I posted here. My collection is basically at a standstill because everything I look at I already have. ;)

I did manage to snag a second copy of the original US release of UFO Defense on 3.5" floppies. The first version I have has black diskettes while this one has whitish-gray. So there's a difference between them. :)

I also purchased a still-shrinkwrapped copy of the Powerplus Version 1 version of Apocalypse for cheap off the internet this summer. Again, not that big of a deal, but it's complete. :)

Other than that, I found a couple different German compilations which I didn't have but the seller refused to ship to the United States. Bummer. At least I know they exist now. :)

One of my projects this fall is to do more scanning of the contents of each version in Enemy Unknown and TFTD. I'll let you guys/girls know when there's something new to look at. :)

- Zombie

Zombie, have you ever installed any of the floppy versions of the games you own? (not that I'd really recommend trying if you haven't - it's amazing how easy floppies get damaged just through normal use)

Can't remember if I've already asked this, but I've been curious to know if TFTD on floppy was any different from the CD edition. The inconsistencies with lots of things I remember back in ye olde days and what I'm experiencing now (or rather failing to experience) is nagging at me.

- NKF

Thanks for the progress report on your collection, Zombie. ;)

Good to hear you've made some new acquisitions.

Any word on the Acid (German Amiga) release of Enemy Unknown on white floppies you once came across?

p.s.: I seem to remember some kind of an online store was going to open with a bundle of X-Com paraphernalia. What happened to it?

Zombie, have you ever installed any of the floppy versions of the games you own? (not that I'd really recommend trying if you haven't - it's amazing how easy floppies get damaged just through normal use).

I actually installed the floppy American version and the floppy European version. One of the American floppies is of course toast, so I still need to get a spare. The European floppies still seem good (checked them with my dad's floppy drive not too long ago). Luckily, the last couple versions I purchased on floppies also came with a CD-ROM backup. One of these days I should really get a decent floppy drive as I think that's the root cause of most CRC errors. Know of any super-reliable floppy drives? ;)

Can't remember if I've already asked this, but I've been curious to know if TFTD on floppy was any different from the CD edition. The inconsistencies with lots of things I remember back in ye olde days and what I'm experiencing now (or rather failing to experience) is nagging at me.

There are some differences between the two. One for sure is alien MC stats. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the progress report on your collection, Zombie. :)

Good to hear you've made some new acquisitions.

Any word on the Acid (German Amiga) release of Enemy Unknown on white floppies you once came across?

No problem, I thought I'd better give a status report in case any of you guys were worried that I'd given up. :)

The German Amiga version with the white/gray floppies hasn't resurfaced as far as I know. I've been looking practically every day too.

p.s.: I seem to remember some kind of an online store was going to open with a bundle of X-Com paraphernalia. What happened to it?

The store is called Skyranger Games and up until a few weeks ago was slated to officially open on the 1st of January 2009 (way past due). However, the site now says it's going to be fully open on the 2nd of November. I'll have to contact Matthew (the owner) soon to get the full scoop. Last time he said that the French company he hired to do his website wasn't doing that good of a job. Maybe he got someone else. :)

- Zombie

I actually installed the floppy American version and the floppy European version. One of the American floppies is of course toast, so I still need to get a spare. The European floppies still seem good (checked them with my dad's floppy drive not too long ago). Luckily, the last couple versions I purchased on floppies also came with a CD-ROM backup. One of these days I should really get a decent floppy drive as I think that's the root cause of most CRC errors. Know of any super-reliable floppy drives? ;)

Probably the most reliable would be to buy an external floppy, use it once, then never use it again. :) Back then, the tiny hard drives meant you had to use the floppies quite regularly - can't remember how many of my floppies got ripped to shreds just by doing a directory listing... Maybe I just had a dud floppy drive. Anyway, thank goodness for progress!

Wonder why they don't start using read-only memory sticks for distributing games? Would save a heck of a lot of space.

There are some differences between the two. One for sure is alien MC stats. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Care to elaborate?

Part of my quest to finding the elusive Tasoth commander (or whatever it was) that halted the progress I'd made in one of my earliest campaigns in TFTD. Might have to e-bay myself a copy of the floppy version one day.

edit: speak of the devil, just spied one on eBay right after I posted this. Going to query about the shipping options first. Coincidentally, there appears to be a brand of Australian headphones called XCOM - and some other aviation doohicky. Small world.

The store is called Skyranger Games and up until a few weeks ago was slated to officially open on the 1st of January 2009 (way past due). However, the site now says it's going to be fully open on the 2nd of November. I'll have to contact Matthew (the owner) soon to get the full scoop. Last time he said that the French company he hired to do his website wasn't doing that good of a job. Maybe he got someone else. :)

- Zombie

Would be quite interested to see that up. Don't suppose it'll be a source for some elusive merchandise either? :)

- NKF

Probably the most reliable would be to buy an external floppy, use it once, then never use it again. :) Back then, the tiny hard drives meant you had to use the floppies quite regularly - can't remember how many of my floppies got ripped to shreds just by doing a directory listing... Maybe I just had a dud floppy drive. Anyway, thank goodness for progress!

If floppy drives haven't improved over the years, then you can't really call it progress. Come on, isn't there an "archival" quality drive out there which doesn't shred floppies or cause frequent CRC read errors? There's gotta be something... ;)

Wonder why they don't start using read-only memory sticks for distributing games? Would save a heck of a lot of space.

These days the move is away from all digital media and more to direct download. Eventually most game publishers will probably go this route.

Part of my quest to finding the elusive Tasoth commander (or whatever it was) that halted the progress I'd made in one of my earliest campaigns in TFTD. Might have to e-bay myself a copy of the floppy version one day.

edit: speak of the devil, just spied one on eBay right after I posted this. Going to query about the shipping options first. Coincidentally, there appears to be a brand of Australian headphones called XCOM - and some other aviation doohicky. Small world.

If you can't acquire a copy for a reasonable price, just let me know. I'll be happy to provide you with it. :)

Would be quite interested to see that up. Don't suppose it'll be a source for some elusive merchandise either? :)

Of course it will. :) Matthew mentioned to me that he purchased a lot of rare stuff directly from MicroProse employees when the company was shut down. Hopefully he'll be able to come through for me in this area. :)

- Zombie

If floppy drives haven't improved over the years, then you can't really call it progress. Come on, isn't there an "archival" quality drive out there which doesn't shred floppies or cause frequent CRC read errors? There's gotta be something... ;)

No indeed. Meant progress has moved us well away from unreliable media like the floppies. About the only thing you could do is go for a floppy drive made by a reliable manufacturer. Then again, you don't see many of those around much either, with laptops and PCs opting for CD/DVD drives and USB drives/memory sticks.

If you can't acquire a copy for a reasonable price, just let me know. I'll be happy to provide you with it. :)

Well, just got a reply and shipping direct to me is going to be a real killer. US$30 via USPS. It's shrink wrapped though - so I'll try my luck. Actually I might get the seller to post it to you instead, if you don't mind. I can get you to appraise it. :)

- NKF

No indeed. Meant progress has moved us well away from unreliable media like the floppies. About the only thing you could do is go for a floppy drive made by a reliable manufacturer. Then again, you don't see many of those around much either, with laptops and PCs opting for CD/DVD drives and USB drives/memory sticks.

As a side note, have you ever had trouble with 5.25" floppies? That media was fairly reliable and not once did I get a read error from them. In fact, about a year ago I ran across my Apple IIe floppies containing my finished programming assignments from grade school and some games. These floppies were not really cared for over the 30+ years they were collecting dust in my closet. When I put a few of them in a friend's old Apple IIe drive, everything booted up (and ran) fine. Hard to believe, but it's true. Is there something about the 3.5" floppy design that makes it susceptible to getting screwed up? :)

Anyhow, I purchased a brand spanking new Imation 3.5" external USB floppy drive. Hopefully it will not let me down... :)

Well, just got a reply and shipping direct to me is going to be a real killer. US$30 via USPS. It's shrink wrapped though - so I'll try my luck. Actually I might get the seller to post it to you instead, if you don't mind. I can get you to appraise it. :)

Ouch, yeah that's pretty stiff. Sure, send it my way and I'll forward it on to you. Shouldn't cost any more than $10 for me I'd imagine. Just let me know if/when you are going to do this because I'm at a different address from the last time we exchanged games. I'm warning you though, if I find a shrinkwrapped 3.5" floppy version of TFTD between my doors, you may never see it again! ;) Strange, I never saw this listed in my daily search summaries from eBay. Hmmm. :)

- Zombie

It appears someone's really keen on getting the floppy version of the game. The starting prices on most copies of TFTD on e-bay are fairly high, so it's not surprising. Considering the purpose I have in mind, I might back off. Silly to pay heaps of money just to settle a minor curiosity. :)

Coincidentally, I notice there are a few strategy guides on sale such as the Totally Unauthorized TFTD guide - spotted one in the Skyranger games eBay store. Have you got one in your collection? I know the forums and wiki have gone way-way beyond whatever information was published in the guides back then, but part of me is interested in comparing notes. ;)

- NKF

Coincidentally, I notice there are a few strategy guides on sale such as the Totally Unauthorized TFTD guide - spotted one in the Skyranger games eBay store. Do you have one in your collection, and if so is it worth getting to compare notes?

I actually have multiple copies of all the strategy guides in the X-COM series. TA TFTD is a good book, different from the OSG for TFTD because it deals more with comparisons than stats. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but between the both you have a solid reference to draw upon. The nice thing about TA TFTD is that it comes with a weapon quick reference card which you can tear out and refer to while playing and the research tree is printed on the back cover making it easy to find. Has some nice features like an interview with Julian Gollop and a chapter on TFTD web pages and editors. So I'd highly recommend it. The OSG should be first on your list though. Maybe one of these days we'll find you a cheap copy of the Unknown Terror compilation which includes the first two OSGs. ;)

- Zombie

Finally got the Imation USB floppy drive in the mail today. Proceeded to try to read some of my old non-game floppies and had no problems whatsoever. Hehe, found all sorts of goodies on them. Jenny's first version of her editor for X-COM, a copy of a StrategyCore site page (took forever to load), numerous saved games, the minutes from one of the first SC meetings, my testing scenario for UFO power source explosions... you name it, I had it on floppy at one time. :) You gotta love the convenience of plug n' play via USB though. I remember setting up a 3.5" floppy at the local university for a professor a long time ago and it took me quite a while to get it to work. ;)

Might start archiving some of the X-COM 3.5" floppies to DVD so that I can look at them (and test them) without having to risk a reinstall. I already started looking at the games to determine what version they are. That should be a really helpful resource for players who don't know what version they have I'd imagine. I'm also compiling the UPC codes along with it to make the process even easier (if you still have the box that is). :)

Not much going on with my collection other than that though. I expected the variety of available versions to diminish as the economy improved (glad I got in at the low point as I was able to scoop up a lot of great titles for a song) but I never expected it to diminish as fast as it did. The economy must really be improving as the selection is bare-bones right now. I'm still looking daily though, just in case something comes along. :)

- Zombie