Feedback on StrategyCore

Slaughter

I've just spent a large portion of the day upgrading the forums.

There are still many parts that don't look right, but I didn't want to frighten anyone again with that horrible bright skin :bleh:

All buttons and any other areas of brightness will disappear over the next few days/weeks, but the most important thing is that we're now up to date and running the new version of the software with it's many nifty new features :what:

You may fire when ready

Sorry, too much Star Wars - feel free to stick one in the Off Topic forum and link it from here :what:

And apologies to BB and Zombie - I'm bound to have trashed something (BB - you'll have to re-add that antispam javascript I'm afraid since I did everything from a fresh install).

BEST new feature yet - I just posted two (this will be three) posts in a short space of time and it's appending them to the one post to avoid unintentional spamming.

Bring on the laziness! :bleh:

Muahahahaha! Spammer :bleh::what:

You'd think they'd have added a per-usergroup setting for that, but alas they haven't. Oh well! I also changed it from merging posts made within a topic within a 30 minute period to within a five minute period. 30 just seemed excessive, and at least this way you don't have to wait as long to be able to post any separate follow-up posts.

I'm one of the few who actually uses the basic bright colour scheme - I like my web browsing to be no frills. :bleh: I shall miss it.

Say, the quick post edits seems to be missing. Was this part of the upgrade? I was just getting used to them.

- NKF

I'm one of the few who actually uses the basic bright colour scheme - I like my web browsing to be no frills. :bleh: I shall miss it.

Say, the quick post edits seems to be missing. Was this part of the upgrade? I was just getting used to them.

- NKF

Sorry, Pete must have made the default skin set invisible. I enabled it again.

The quick edit post button still works for me. Your browser may have trouble rendering it in the StrategyCore skin though. Now that the default skin is back, you should have no troubles. :what:

- Zombie

It can actually be turned on and off somewhere in the board settings... ("Enable fancy stuff", or something like that). I disabled it manually in our last skin because it flat out didn't work, but later copied over the required code from the default skin.

As it stands, it works for me in both skins. I can't see anything in my profile settings to disable it, so it must be a universal board setting. If it's still not working, try nuking your temporary internet files and cookies, then give it another shot. It may be a stray bit of CSS stuck in your cache.

It's fine now. Not sure what was up there. However I noted that while I was using the Strategycore default scheme that my computer refused to automatically log on. I guess the old cache and cookies may need some clearing.

The little people by our name handles are new. Well, there's that and lots of buttons to check out too.

- NKF

I remember back in the old days when we used to make to with the bold, underline and link tags and a small handful of smilies... oh those were the days. Now whenever a new version of the software is released I have to update 50-odd buttons and re-style 5 new screens (or the whole thing depending on the severity of the upgrade).

It's all good fun really I'm sure...

The icon/name field is an integrated feature in the new version of the forum software. Not only does it display user on/off status, but has our profile card/pm info as well. The "report" and "top"buttons now reside where those other buttons were. Undoubtedly, this was done to clean up the look of posts. :what:

By the way folks, if things don't look quite right with the forums, rest assured Pete is working to fix it. See, instead of using a cookie-cutter skin, he is designing it from scratch. That takes some time and therefore is being completed in stages. Keep up the good work! :bleh:

- Zombie

Yeah, there is the odd bit of corruption floating around since the update. Mostly it has to do with an apostrophe or special characters in the text.

I'm pretty sure this only happened to certain existing posts made before the upgrade - posts you make now should be fine. In any event, I'll talk to "The Man" (Pete) about this. :what:

Edit: This appers to be associated with quick editing a post containing special characters. For now, please use full edit until a patch can be applied. Also, never copy and paste text from Word directly into the forums. Always copy text from Word into notepad, then copy from notepad into your post. Thanks! :bleh:

- Zombie

I've applied the patches from the IPB bugtracker post Zombie alerted me to so the quick editor should now not corrupt posts.

I'm a bit confused though as to who'd be using quick edit on all the fan fic posts anyway?

I the past I've seen this sort of thing happen when people use ` instead of ' and depending on how someone has their keyboard set up even speech marks can be displayed slightly differently (though you'd not notice til something like this happens.

Just carry on as normal and let me know if this happens elsewhere on the forums. I'm sure there will be a patch of some sort along soon.

I can't seem to upload any images in my posts. Well, the attachment window works in every way until I hit 'upload' - then it does its little thing and then it says that I did not select a file to upload.

I keep selecting the file I want to upload and repeat the process and it keeps telling me that I haven't selected a file to upload. As you can imagine, this leaves me utterly perplexed.

Guess I'm just having bad luck. Oh well.

- NKF

The permissions are fine - I just tested this with a Core Staff account.

NKF: IIRC you are using an old version of Mozilla Firefox, correct? I had problems uploading images too until I upgraded to v2.0.0.2. Try that. :bleh:

- Zombie