Other gaming news

Trolls don't shut up though. They just trollolololol forever more.

I don't think ignoring EA is going to make them go away - they'll only disappear when sports stop being popular or when people finally get fed up of playing iterations of the same game every year.

You're forgiven, Pro Evo is brilliant and not FIFA.

The difficulty with EA is this: how do you combat them when they're so successful? They're conservative, with flashes of cheap innovation (e.g. Mirror's Edge) underwritten by money from yearly iterations (FIFA, Madden, NHL, etc) ensuring they're always financially healthy. They don't go mad and spend money like water, they work their studios hard and shut them down rather than make a loss, or even risk making a loss.

So if you don't buy their games, so what, there are millions of people out there who do the necessary every year. The sales show as much. They've got a stake in the FPS market with Battlefield and MoH. Neither is CoD, but they're both big names. They've just had a massive RPG trilogy with Mass Effect (I think the games are crap, millions disagree). Wherever you go, they've got games ready.

I picked up a few; Dead Space because I thought it was survival horror (a fine attempt at a microwave-ready brand), Mirror's Edge because it's a genuine innovation, The Saboteur and Mercs 2 because they're free roamers (EA rewarded the creators, Pandemic, for making such fun games by shutting them down). You can try and make EA take note by only buying their 'good' games but that doesn't seem to work either.

Trolls don't shut up though. They just trollolololol forever more.

I don't think ignoring EA is going to make them go away - they'll only disappear when sports stop being popular or when people finally get fed up of playing iterations of the same game every year.

Well my comment was more along the lines of they'll go "oh hey people are ignoring us, this 'indie' thing must not be all that great. Let's go bother some other 'fanbase'".

Because while trolls never actually shut up, they DO go find other people to troll that will actually give them a response. :P

• 2 weeks later...

::

Deep Silver and X1 Software/AWAR today announced that “Iron Front – Liberation 1944” is now available. The tactical shooter is settled in war-torn Poland during the last phase of World War II. Either on the Russian or the German side, players fight to win crucial battles during the summer of 1944 in the campaign mode or the various multiplayer missions.

Looks good - now we have to wait for feminists and anti-racists to shout - OMG he is killing women and a dark skinned one too ;)

One OMFG moment in this trailer I had was when of the ladies had holes in her fishnet (or whatever that was) ;)

In other news.

Have you wanted to play as 2yr old kid ? Now you can in this new horror game

[media=]

[/media]

::

The free-to-play game takes place in central London, although the plan is to expand the story to cover other locations too. A radiological hazard has left London deserted, and now several groups of mercenaries are vying for control over the banks and other important areas.

Splash Damage's veteran game designer Ed Stern is the writer behind it, so we're warned that there's a lot more to the story than first meets they eye, with the storyline due to be expanded in the months after launch.

With gameplay focusing heavily on strategic decisions (it was originally known as Rad Tactics before the final decision on the name was made), players move a band of soldiers around a series of grid-based maps, using cover, line of fire and special equipment and abilities to capture and hold points.

The turn-based play is asynchronous, allowing players to make their moves in multiple online games, exit out of the game, then come back to it later and watch how each of their opponent's responded. There's also a full single-player campaign to work your way through.

Official brochure site here.

Looks good - now we have to wait for feminists and anti-racists to shout

I just feel insulted that their marketing thinks they need to pander more to teenage boys. I won't go into the sexualised and violent nature of the 'trailer' because it's retardation that goes back thousands of years, and it's plain to me humans as a race cannot move past it. We're simply too stupid.

That's before we move onto how totally un-Hitman (a series noted for its clever, sophisticated gameplay, adult nature, and multiplicity of subtle solutions) the trailer is.

I just love the way they were so stupid as to not notice him get behind them in a wide-open space such as a motel car park.

Oooh, and love the look of Rad Soldiers there Thor. Might be a bit small on my iPhone - maybe one day I shall own an iPad too, but then I do run the risk of buying Battle Academy for it for no good reason.

That's classic Hitman, actually. I know in virtually every Hitman game groups of enemies just stand around and let you murder them all from behind.

Oh wait; no, it isn't, no, they don't and no, that doesn't happen. Hmm. How odd.

That's classic Hitman, actually. I know in virtually every Hitman game groups of enemies just stand around and let you murder them all from behind.

Oh wait; no, it isn't, no, they don't and no, that doesn't happen. Hmm. How odd.

You honestly had me going for a minute there.

Mayhaps the studio should have called it Hitman: Desperation?

I am a master of deception.

Great article on it here.

I call it rubbish... so many words not on point that I got bored reading. And when I skipped to the actual content about the trailer.... it's just went to something like - killing in TV is ok, killing in games is not ok. Women can kill men, men can't kill women. He might have point with assassin nuns, but seriously if you take games too serious then you should never play games and disconnect from the internet

I think you missed the point he was making in the article completely - making killing women sexy is a bit wrong to be fair, as is trying to make nuns look sexy just for a trailer (seriously, it's not even a good disguise - why are they even in disguise in the first place? Makes no sense!).

Leaving all that aside though and completely ignoring that article you come back to the other point that this trailer just isn't Hitman. The guy isn't sneaking up behind them, they're just bein stupid and letting themselves get killed stupidly by a man with his big, shiny weapon. Okay, so I strayed back into the territory of the article there.

At the very least it's a stupid trailer.

I call it rubbish... so many words not on point that I got bored reading. And when I skipped to the actual content about the trailer.... it's just went to something like - killing in TV is ok, killing in games is not ok. Women can kill men, men can't kill women. He might have point with assassin nuns, but seriously if you take games too serious then you should never play games and disconnect from the internet

No, it didn't. Here's what the article actually says.

Let's be absolutely clear that it's that factor which is the issue. It's not the fact that there are nuns in the game who then turn out to be sexy nun assassins in suspender belts. You want sexy nun assassins in your game trailer? Be my guest. It looks ridiculous, and I don't see them getting much assassinating done while wearing those heels, but if you think your target audience is the demographic slice of people who get turned on by poorly CG rendered assassins in habits and stiletto heels, go for it. Nor is the issue the fact that Agent 47 commits violent acts against women. He's a hitman, assassins are attacking him, he kills them. That's not the problem.

The problem is the interaction between those two things. The thought process of the creators of this trailer is naked for the world to see. Gamers like sexy women. Let's have sexy women, and let's make them sexy nuns because that's edgy. You know what else is edgy? Having the dark anti-hero kill women, rather than the usual faceless male soldiers and thugs. That'll get headlines. Let's do that.

One of two things happens at that point. Either the marketing team managed to completely not realise that the interaction between "sexy" and "violent death" might not be an entirely comfortable one; or they did realise, and went ahead anyway, which labels them as an utterly unpleasant and irresponsible bunch of sociopaths. I'm going with option A. I prefer to see the good in people, even if that means thinking they're a little bit dim.

The issue isn't killing in video games. It isn't about men killing women, either. Please don't try and distract people from the point by avoiding the issue.