Other gaming news

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring you up to date on Aliens: Colonial Marines. C'n'P from AVPGalaxy forum, a "What we know" thread:

Full Title

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Release Date

Recently announced by Sega to be late 2008, but many other sources have said 2009. The original press release estimated late 2009. So I guess it could be anywhere between those time periods.

Formats

The game is being developed for PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

Game Engine

The developers are using the most recent version of the UE3 engine.

Story

The story is written by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle (Correct Names) who most recently wrote for the remake of the Battlestar Galactica series and also worked on the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series.

It has been mentioned that we will be going up against an enemy faction (Pretty much confirmed as W-Y) that want to harness the alien as a biological weapon. It has also been said that we will get to learn more about the alien race known as the Space Jockey.

Here is the plot set-up published in the GameInformer magazine:-

IGN's new strategy gaming column "Warplay" takes first aim.

::

For the lazier ones among thee there's one mention of X-Com in this opening issue:

"Microprose's brilliant tactical game X-COM doesn't allow for meaningful policy decisions in that you can't negotiate with the aliens or compete with them on a purely economic level, but you do have tremendous flexibility in setting your technological and manufacturing priorities."

Oh, one of my favourite sci-fi movies is Aliens, if not my most favourite one. I enjoyed Aliens vs Predator 2 a great deal (talking about the game, not the movie, that one is somewhere in my room gathering dust, where it should be), most particularly the Marine campaign. I LOVE the LV426 setting for a horror sci-fi shooter, and the Aliens, ooh the Aliens, my favourite alien species in ANY game or movie I have ever played/watched.

The idea of a game like AvP2 but with newer graphics is just terribly exciting to me :)

edit: OMFG, now I'm SUPER excited, just look at these screenshots!

https://www.vidaextra.com/2008/03/05-captur...olonial-marines

I love the Aliens setting too! Alien is superb (but suffers a little from it's age), Aliens is fantastic (and suffers less from age), Alien 3 wasn't much in the regular edition but is better in directors cut and Alien Resurrection is okay. AvP sucks, and I haven't bothered seeing the second yet. There are some great Alien comics too (as well as AvP etc.), and the few books I read are passable (but no more).

As for the games, I preferred the first one, but the second was good too. I agree it will be interesting with a new game, but some of the things above didn't sit too well with me (script heavy, die only at some points etc.). We'll see when it gets closer to completion.

For those of us who dream of being a jedi :) and only have Jedi Academy to be one - there are some great mods for the game! A small collection;

https://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Dark...od_Demo_2;32444

https://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Shad...th_MaulDM;73921

https://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Deception;61873

And a huge mod (1,5GB) in making: https://kotf.com/main.htm

I'm reinstalling JA ASAP.

From the looks of it, it's already been released :)

Yes, KOTF is out despite all the naysayers. I admit I lost hope long ago.

I downloaded it a week ago but didn't have time to try it out. :)

Please do post when you do :)

I've seen to have misplaced my Jedi Academy discs :( plus no much time either... and when I have time, I have some screenshots I should have already taken... :)

• 2 weeks later...
I was excited with Doom 3.

I didn't like it... Mostly because you always knew that every time you heard anything you needed to turn around 180 and shoot. The only difference was that Doom has an excuse for the constant enemy pop-up; it's hell...

I thought Doom 3 was pretty good. Although it felt more like a "System Shock Lite". Basically System Shock with a lot less features.

To be honest I thought it was a much higher quality game than Half-Life 2, which was it's rival at the time... So I will probably see what Doom 4 has to offer.

The ironic part is that I was the only person on Earth that was not excited about Doom 3 coming out. And I seem to be the only one that could appreciate it... Funny how much hype can hurt a game.

Any Alone in the Dark fans here?

Never played any of them, well, except the first but not much and dont really remember much of it, but the screenshots look like a great zombies game, and I do love them (wish there was a good new Resident Evil game for PC, all new ones are for consoles...), Ill have to give it a try.

Anyone here expecting this game?

Looking forward to the new AITD, Az. I really liked the original. Always had it quite separate, in my mind, from the Resi games, where almost all the baddies could be killed. Hope it's gone back to its roots and isn't just a Resi clone.