New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

BlunterII

Ecthel,

I am up to my neck in the Drug Deal branch details at the moment. Let me finish the basic plot and then we'll proceed with the side missions.

I completely agree with your points concerning immunity.

I just thought that if we decide to implement innoculations ( dead or inactive antigen vaccine Sentinels might develop ) we would need to differentiate between a chemical poison and a bacteria or a virus that produce a modified version of that poison as an exotoxin.

Orc01,

I might add a lab to the Sentinels' base in the future. That way we'd be able to experiment with various things we find in the game world and perhaps, make some use of opium and other substances...

It'll stay unusable for the time being...

[EDIT] I am not sure which RPG item from Hammer & Sickle you are refering to but the cigarettes and a few others they added - did absolutely nothing to characters' statistics. Here is the code Novik used:

-- Belomor

ID = 1320002,

type = IT_NONE,

str = nil,

ani = 4268,

skill = nil,

skillDelta = nil,

linkedItem = nil,

remove = false,

skippedTime = nil

},

{ -- Camel

ID = 1410161,

type = IT_NONE,

str = nil,

ani = 4268,

skill = nil,

skillDelta = nil,

linkedItem = nil,

remove = false,

skippedTime = nil

},

{ -- Condom

ID = 1410162,

type = IT_UNUSED,

str = nil,

ani = nil,

skill = nil,

skillDelta = nil,

linkedItem = nil,

remove = false,

skippedTime = nil

...except for smoking animation.

Besides, he uses <function OnUnitUseItem( unit )> I am not certain if he added that one, similar to the UnitGetUniform(unit) or not... I don't think it's a valid command in Sentinels.

All right, I finished scripting Paretz (both "Drug Deal" and "Ambush").

Note: If we let real Danilov go (I refer to him as 'good') "Drug Deal" becomes available for entering, and if we killed him (or the smugglers did) "Ambush" opens up.

"Drug Deal" leads to "Drug Lab" (in Blumberg), whereas "Ambush" is a dead end.

The main idea I had for this encounter(s) was to test if I could make it tough. Tough enough for the player to have a bit of a challenge. It's early to say whether I succeeded but the number of attempts it took one of my 'testers' to finish "Ambush", 7 in her case and 3 in mine, indirectly indicated that I might be on the right track. Player units were around lvl. 8-12 during the testing, full party (Hero + 4 mercs), no PKs.

The "Drug Deal" was created to be easier, to yield more experience, "opium" packages and potentially (I am still undecided) either a small additional map (some opium storage, perhaps???) or a delayed reward from the wounded person we saved in Paretz (Erwin). I'll show the "Drug Deal" event progression in this post and the "Ambush" details in the next.

The player starts on a narrow path at the edge of the map:

Paretz_DrugDeal_1%2528start%2529.png

Right after that we'll get a mesage:

Paretz_DrugDeal_2%2528MessageBox%2529.png

[ready for editing]

"You can hear two people talking. If you get a little closer you'll be able to discern what they are saying."

-------------------------------------------------------

...the party starts moving along the path and the screen fades out.

Paretz_DrugDeal_3%2528BossShootsErwin%2529.png

After the FadeIn() we witness a conversation between a 'Drug Dealer Leader' and a man named 'Erwin'.

I've written the dialogs but haven't imported them yet (in case serious editing is required).

-----------------------------------------------

[ready for editing]

ParetzDrugDealDlg1:

The man in a suit: ...you don't get to make that decision, Erwin.

Erwin: Yes, I do. I told Oswald - this is my last time. The goods are upstairs, take them and leave.

The man in a suit: Oh, really?! After the Soviets beat you into a pulp for having a wehrmacht uniform in your house, after their commissar raped your wife and daughter, after they shot your brother when he tried to defend your family...

Erwin: Yes, but...

The man in a suit (interrupting and raising his voice): ...after the commander of their occupational forces announced it was all right for "his boys to let off steam " After all this, you have the gall to tell me you are quitting?!

Erwin (determined) : Yes! I won't let you exploit me any longer! I am done!

The man in a suit Yeah, you are done all right!

The man in a suit pulls out a pistol, aims at Erwin, the screen fades out again... and we hear a shot.

Upon FadeIn() we see Erwin on the ground next to the fence. The man in a suit turns to one of his associates and a new dialog begins:

[ready for editing]

ParetzDrugDealDlg2:

The man in a suit (to his men): Go, get the opium and burn this place down. Hurry up!

Drug Dealer: What about him?

The man in a suit: Let him bleed to death. Stupid bastard is lucky Amir isn't here he wouldn't be as merciful.

Now we are back to our party. They are hidden, in prone position, ready for action.

Paretz_DrugDeal_4%2528InPosition%2529.png

Here we get another message:

Paretz_DrugDeal_5%2528MessageBox%2529.png

[ready for editing]

"Erwin seems to be alive but he is bleeding out. Get your medic there quickly!"

Paretz_DrugDeal_6%2528WoundedErwin%2529.png

After some testing I figured out how to add enough experience - for any given unit to gain + 1 level.

Since those increases happen in a geometrical progression I realized I needed 'to the power of' type of expression. The usual ^ didn't work - so I had to dig for it on LUA site. Apparently they utilize 'pow' for that.

Here is the resulting script (for those interested):

local y=UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetHero(),ST_LEVEL)

local x=Pow(1.97,y-1)

local adjustedXP = x * 100

GroupGiveXP(GetParty(),adjustedXP)

The 1.97 turned out to be the sweet spot, but it can be changed (the range is from 1.95 to 1.99 to keep it within 1+ level.)

The gained experience is heavily modified by the unit's intelligence. So the units with intelligence scores of 3 and 12 will gain drastically different amounts of XP.

----------------------------------------------

In this case the amount of XP gained is based on the Hero unit's level. But I could probably do it for each unit individually if necessary.

Paretz_DrugDeal_7%2528ErwinBleeding%2529.png

In this test I had Yves in the party. He managed to stop the bleeding but got fatally wounded in the process sad.png

At this point, saving Erwin is not neccessary. If he dies - he drops a note that opens the next encounter on the Brandenburg Chapter map (Blumberg "Drug Lab").

We are notified when he is at 50% VP (or lower)

Paretz_DrugDeal_8%2528Message50percent%2529.png

[ready for editing]

"Erwin's lost a lot of blood. Stop the bleeding!"

...and then at 20% and when dead:

Paretz_DrugDeal_8a%2528Message20percent_dead%2529.png

[ready for editing]

"Erwin is almost gone. Do something!"

"Erwin is dead. He took whatever he knew with him. Shame..."

Paretz_DrugDeal_9%2528EndOfBattle%2529.png

Yes, I lost my medic, but Erwin survived (probably not an even exchange wink.png but it was just a test... )

Paretz_DrugDeal_10%2528TalkToErwin%2529.png

Now we can talk to Erwin.

I just realized I didn't write this dialog yet. Err...

Ok, how about this...

-------------------------------------------

[ready for editing]

ParetzDrugDealDlg3:

You: Can you talk?

Erwin: Yes, thank you. I didn't think he'd actually shoot me... (winces)... I really need to get to the doctor soon.

You: I'll be quick. Who were those clowns?

Erwin: I am not sure. I usually deal with Oswald. He drops off some items then some one else picks them up.

You: How do you know Oswald and who does he work for?

Erwin: We used to be in the resistance together. But something changed him... (groaning from pain).. Umm, I heard him mention "Wolfpack" a few times. I don't know who they are.

You: Do you know Captain Danilov?

Erwin: Yes, he is the one who persuaded me to quit this dirty business. Good man. I think he was after Amir, their supplier. Amir's is the one responsible for smuggling the opium into the country. Oswald and his associates distributed it.

You: Where would they usually take the opium?

Erwin: They have a facility somewhere in Blumberg. They disguise it as a <...insert some building type...>.

(They also have a small warehouse near <...insert a location...>)

You: Do you know where Amir is?

Erwin: I don't know. I hope the Captain got him...

You: All right, You can go now.

Erwin: Thank you. I owe you one... (groaning) ... bye...

--------------------------------------------

...will this ^^^ do?

(Amir works for some sheikh... Iranian - Nazi connection???. I'll save it for later though... some "Killing The Sheikh" encounter in some desert, perhaps)

-------------------------------------------

Paretz_DrugDeal_11%2528End%2529.png

...maybe a small "Opium Warehouse" zone can be created and added as well...

Paretz_DrugDeal_12%2528Enemies%2529.png

At first I made all the MGs, the SMGs and the boss units - grenadiers and gave them random perks, but soon realized that they became completely immune to light and medium grenades. Their Evasion allowed them to be almost invulnerable in most cases. I had to reconsider my approach. Now only the "Boss" is a grenadier. The rest are engineers and medics (with additional perks Extra Range, Night vision, Extra Sight, Better Hearing and VP, AP, SPOT, BURST, INTERRUPT, SHOOTING increases.)

I didn't assign any other professions because of their "Look for free" ability - which would make enemy turns last forever.

Perhaps, I can make special perk trees just for enemies (to make their perk assignment easier).

...and in case Erwin dies:

Paretz_DrugDeal_13%2528Docs%2529.png

[ready for editing]

Note

The note you found on Erwin's body. The handwriting seems familiar. It mentions a location in Blumberg, a town located approximately 30km east from Berlin.

Erwin's Journal

It appears someone spilled something on it. Only a few lines remain intelligible:

"Why did I ever agree to hold these items for Oswald? ...not the man I used to know."

"The Captain vis... again. I understand why..."

"...very gracious. I guess not every Sov..."

"... to do this anymore bec... "

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Drug dealers armed with Panzerfausts.......not sure what to think about this, but the rest is all fine. I just dont know how the Drug dealer thing will fit into the overall story arc about The Professor, Die Wölfe and THO......

I just wanted to give them more firepower. smile.png

As for drug dealing, well how about these:

1) Money generating activity to finance their operations. They don't have to sell most of the opium/ morphine /heroin in Germany. What other countries were 'hooked' on drugs during that period?

2) They are using opium to produce some super-drug to embolden and strengthen their armored soldiers morale...

3) Alternatively, opiates or some of their derivatives might be one of the chemical substances necessary to create Iron Maidens out of regular female volunteers (or captives).

Keep in mind, it's just the begining. wink.png

Ok, the "Ambush" version is here.

Paretz_Z_Ambush_1%2528start%2529.png

Paretz_Z_Ambush_2%2528MessageSomethingIsWrong%2529.png

[ready for editing]

"Something's not right! The place's been turned upside down... There is a distinct smell of burned flesh."

...that must have been Erwin's body, I think.

Paretz_Z_Ambush_3%2528Ambushed%2529.png

I know, I know... cheap effects... yada-yada... What can I say?

I like them!

Paretz_Z_Ambush_4%2528EndOfInitialBarrage%2529.png

The enemies' stats are very high here. (VPs=250-400, APs=70-80, Shooting=110, Spot=150, etc.)

They are programmed to atack some random waypoints around and in the house or a small chance to move towards the house if they don't see the player. In case they see your units their NormalLogic kicks in.

So, watch out! wink.png

Paretz_Z_Ambush_5%2528RushingInside%2529.png

... my script had a very strange side effect. When I cleared one of the sides and managed to leave the house the enemies who followed me stayed in the house attacking the same waypoint again and again. It was funny to watch them being so... determined.

Gotta fix it...

Paretz_Z_Ambush_6%2528BattleDoneNote%2529.png

[ready for editing]

Note

"The note you found on Erwin's body. It's impossible to make anything out on it as it's completely soaked in blood."

The leader of the group that attacked you, Stephan, drops the following message:

Paretz_Z_Ambush_7%2528AmirsNoteOnStephan%2529.png

[ready for editing]

The first few words appear to be written in Arabic.

The rest of the message is in English:

"Stephan,

Erwin's place is no longer safe. Shut it down. We will resume our business after you find a different, safer drop-off location.

Thankfully, someone took care of the Captain. In case he managed to send someone there - make sure they get a warm 'welcome'."

Signed - Amir

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Capture The Mole

Rather late, so you may have already worked out the specifics. Anyway, I think the player should arrive before the train, giving them several turns to get ready. When the train arrives, so do (around 10 to 15, maybe?) Die Wolfe soldiers disguised as Armed Civilians. No armor since they're in disguise, but since they're engaging in an open attack, they'd probably be toting 98Ks and some heavier weapons, maybe even a Rocket Launcher of some sort.

As for loot, I don't think there will be anything worthwhile at a civilian railroad station aside from maybe a few engineering tools of some sort in the generator room and/or utility buildings.

Probably should get an actual German speaker to doublecheck these:

"Hardware Store" = "Baumarkt"

"Central Station" = "Hauptbahnhof"

"Repair Shop" = "Reparaturwerkstätt"

Drug Deal/Ambush

Did Die Wolfe assign their top of the line troopers to the drug business or something? That stat and perk lineup looks pretty OP to me, not to mention having 3 Panzerfausts on hand.

Editing

The man in a suit: ...you don't get to make that decision, Erwin.

Erwin: Yes, I do. I told Oswald - this is the last time. The goods are upstairs, take them and leave.

The man in a suit: Oh, really? After the Soviets beat you into a pulp for having a Wehrmacht uniform in your house, after their commissar raped your wife and daughter, after they shot your brother when he tried to defend your family...

Erwin: Yes, but...

The man in a suit (interrupting and raising his voice): ...after the commander of their occupational forces announced it was all right for "his boys to let off so steam". After all that, you have the gall to tell me you're quitting?!

Erwin (determined): Yes! I won't let you exploit me any longer! I'm done with this!

The man in a suit: You're done all right!

The man in a suit (to his men): Go, get the opium and burn this place down. Hurry up!

Drug Dealer: What about him?

The man in a suit: Let him bleed to death. Stupid bastard is lucky Amir isn't here, he wouldn't be as merciful.

"Erwin seems to still be alive, but he's bleeding out fast. Get someone there and stop the bleeding quickly!" (Note: Used "someone" instead because anyone should be able to stop the bleeding with Haemostatic Powder, if not, change it back)

You: Are you alright? Can you talk?

Erwin: Yes, thank you. I didn't think he'd actually shoot me... (winces)... I really need to get to the doctor soon.

You: I'll be quick. Who were those clowns?

Erwin: I'm not sure. I usually deal with Oswald. He drops off some items then someone else picks them up.

You: How do you know Oswald and who does he work for?

Erwin: We used to be in the resistance together. But something changed him... (groaning from pain).. Umm, I heard him mention "Wolfpack" a few times, but I don't know what that means.

You: Do you know Captain Danilov?

Erwin: Yes, he's the one who persuaded me to quit this dirty business. Good man. I think he was after Amir, their supplier. Amir's is the one responsible for smuggling the opium into the country. Oswald and his associates distributed it.

You: Where would they usually take the opium?

Erwin: They have a facility somewhere in Blumberg. They disguise it as a <...insert some building type...>.

(They also have a small warehouse near <...insert a location...>)

You: Do you know where Amir is?

Erwin: I don't know. I hope the Captain got him...

You: All right, you can go now.

Erwin: Thank you. I owe you one... (groaning) ... bye... (Note: Erwin doesn't seem like he's in any shape to walk to a doctor, maybe have the hero call in Sentinels to transport him to one?)

Note

The note you found on Erwin's body. The handwriting looks familiar. It mentions a location in Blumberg, a town located approximately 30km east from Berlin.

"Something's not right! The place has been turned upside down... There's also a distinct smell of burned flesh."

Thank you, Ecthel.

I made all the suggested string changes and imported the dialogs...

Paretz_DrugDeal_14%2528Dialogs%2529.png

Paretz_DrugDeal_15%2528FacialAnimations%2529.png

...the animations are more or less matching... wink.png

...and created the 'Hardware Store", "Central Station" and "Repair Shop" signs. Thanks, Lt.

RR_Depot_12%2528Posters%2529.png

Well, right now we are adding this small story to the main Sentinels plot. It is not a stand alone scenario yet (even though it could be) - so if someone chooses to challenge themselves with the "Ambush" version while their party is lvl.4-6 - they are going to have difficult time surviving. (that's the idea, I'll need to test it further).

I added Panzerfausts for 2 major reasons:

- for the bad guys to have something to counter our PKs with (in case the player uses them). They have 4-5 'Red' rockets on them.

- and to have a powerful AE (area effect) weapon handy vs. low level parties.

(Of course, I can remove Panzerfausts if they are such an eyesore)

Most enemies have several HE and AP clips on them as well. So, once they run out of their standard ammo they'll start using those and we all know what that means. wink.png

As for OP enemies smile.png (Yes, they are very different from the vanilla push-over enemies)

Their stats don't change - they stay the same whether our party is lvl.4, lvl.12, or lvl. 26.

Their levels will be adjusted to HeroLevel -3, but the stats remain the same regardless.

The result is: leveled, tough fight with less experience overall (for "Ambush" only)

Do you think I am going too far with this?

Do you envision Erwin playing some important (or any) role later in the scenario?

Thanks for the "Capture The Mole" ideas. ( I haven't started scripting it yet)

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Further Editing Because It Just Occurred To Me

Blood Soaked Note

The note you found on the dead man's body. It's impossible to make anything out on it, as it's completely soaked in blood.

(Note: The hero would have no idea who Erwin was, since he died before the hero arrives. Same thing for the body, maybe call it "Burned Body" or something like that?)

Difficulty

Keeping the Panzerfausts to provide more of a challenge is fine with me, but I think that just 1 Panzerfaust would suffice.

Considering that the enemy has a numerical (and likely equipment) advantage and the player has either Erwin ("Drug Deal") or the initial volley ("Ambush") to deal with, I think they should be toned down somewhat stats-wise, or at least have it mentioned beforehand somewhere that these guys seem unusually skilled and well-equipped.

As for the reduced XP in "Ambush", I think being locked out of further missions on that chain and facing such difficult enemies is already punishment enough. If a player manages to survive and kill enemies that strong, they should at least be rewarded appropriately.

On a side note, I'm not really sure why drug dealers, even if they're working for a paramilitary group, would be bringing so much heavy weaponry to wreck an unarmed civilian's house, especially if they don't even know it needs wrecking ("Drug Deal"). They don't need more than pistols or melee weapons and something to set it on fire at most, really.

Erwin

I don't think he'll have much further involvement since he's pretty much just being used as a pick-up point. Maybe have him offer up info on something odd he noticed, like, for example, some of the opium (a special grade or somehow altered specimens required for the super-drug, maybe) being moved isn't like the other stuff, and the most recent packet (the one the player can loot) is one of those?

All right, I changed the "Drug Deal" and "Ambush" (removed RLs from the former and left one in the latter.)

"Ambush" guys are the same level as player, their boss, Stephan, is +1. I also made corrections to Erwin and his note as you suggested, Ecthel. Thanks.

While I was thinking about the "Drug Lab" I watched one of my kids (7 years old) play the 2.3 version of the mod and comment about the lack of grass and trees in the UK camps (they are pretty barren). So, naturally, I decided to remedy that.

- added new ambient lights

- added a bunch of spots and all kinds of vegetation...

CampsUK_1%2528FoggyMorning%2529.png

...not really new, but redone wink.png

CampsUK_3%2528FoggyEvening%2529.png

...the lighting I used for the "Castle Linden"

CampsUK_2%2528FoggyNight%2529.png

Any ideas about the camps, by the way? (just think about... They could be some sort of hubs, training grounds/facilities, rare encounters, etc...)

Shh...,

It's not in the scripts. I've no idea how "nil" value can add anything... smile.png

But, perhaps CDV (H&S publisher outside of Russia) removed it. Just like they removed the references to pedophiles/pederasty in the unique PK encounter at the edge of the "Village" zone. My CDV copy has them looking for beer instead. Go figure!

Regardless, Novik uses a bunch of commands that are not available/valid in Sentinels (OnUnitUse, ItemGetID, etc.) - I can't recreate those effects. (or rather, I don't believe I can.) sad.png

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Nice camps... :)

Any ideas about the camps, by the way? (just think about... They could be some sort of hubs, training grounds/facilities, rare encounters, etc...)

some shooting ground would be useful to max skills. for example Swiss camp or encounter is a shooting ground

But, perhaps CDV (H&S publisher outside of Russia) removed it. Just like they removed the references to pedophiles/pederasty in the unique PK encounter at the edge of the "Village" zone.

I think you're right.

Ok, I just got done with the "Drug Lab" template. Take a look:

BlumbergTemp_1%2528Start%2529.png

I haven't placed any enemies yet. Just testing the passability, frame rate, LOS and overall looks at the moment.

BlumbergTemp_2%2528East%2529.png

"Blumberg Drug Lab" features a clear night lighting. I didn't use the fog because of the lab on the -2 floor (It would all be covered in fog otherwise.) I wish the fog stayed above the ground. It would make concealing various entrances and underground structures much easier. Oh, well. Black 'backlight' and no fog will do for now.

BlumbergTemp_3%2528North%2529.png

Now, to find the entrance!

BlumbergTemp_4%2528Path_WatchYourStep%2529.png

Yup! There'll be minefields... with appropriate signs ("Minen", right?)

So sticking to the path might be beneficial. wink.png

DrugLab_1%2528underground%2529.png

It is small. Well, it was my first attempt to build an underground facility. Future ones will be larger. I promise. smile.png

DrugLab_2%2528ResearchNotes%2529.png

The origins of the "Iron Maidens" (in a nutshell).

---------------------------------------------------------

ready for editing:

---------------------------------------------------------

Medical Research Notes

The papers you found in the underground lab in Blumberg describe the experiments the lab personel were conducting.

Something called "I.M. project" mentioned multiple times.

"The last two shipments were nearly perfect. This time the acetylation of morphine hydroxyl groups derived from those samples didn't yield heroin... but something entirely different."

"Our female subjects proved to be the only ones capable of transformation... Both male specimens died of renal failure. Estrogen and progesterone therapy produced no effect. "

"Excessive grey pigmentation and thickening of the skin were the only adverse-effects. No vomiting or respiratory depression have been observed; analgesic and arousing properties, on the other hand, were multiplied."

"...the Kommandant will surely appreciate the new additions once they arrive in Zepernick."

The rest of the document consists of different graphs, tables and chemical reactions related to the experiment.

-------------------------------

Please, let me know if it needs more clarification or something else...

DrugLab_3%2528NewObjects%2529.png

We'll probably need to give the scientist (we kill inside) a British/ American name to justify the English symbols everywhere. Fletcher? Owen? Bor? ???

About the camps and skill training...

Shh...,

It's probably going to be a house (or some large property) the player can purchase.

Then as we complete the missions and accumulate capital we'll be able to add 'training modules' to it (either buy them or be given as a reward by someone). Those might include:

- Shooting range

- Dummy

- Sick bay

- Workshop

- ???

The house would be accessible from one of the chapters (via its camp zone). A door in the sewer? A road sign? Or something else. I haven't decided yet.

(...ideas???)

I am not very comfortable with creating new interfaces, so it will be something simple - some usable object, perhaps.

I also finished 'Kommandant's House' (just the house). Here are a few screenshots of it:

KommandantHouse_1%2528Fullview%2529.png

KommandantHouse_4%2528GroundFloor%2529.png

KommandantHouse_3%2528FirstFloor%2529.png

KommandantHouse_2%2528SecondFloor%2529.png

[edit] The "Achtung Minen" signs are ready:

BlumbergTemp_5%2528AchtungMinenAreUp%2529.png

It appears the mine difficulty ("power") determines the skill required to spot as well as to disable the mine. The Engineering skill being the primary requirement.

Most characters can see power 10, 30, even 50 without a problem. But higher power settings seem to demand higher Engineering.

Holly, lev.9 with Eng=149 could spot mines with power settings of 150 and below. She spotted 160 when she got closer; the 170 and above stayed undetected by her (meaning - our characters would blow themselves up if they walked over those).

Spot seems to help but not as much as Engineering. I haven't figured out the exact formula yet.

[edit2]

I laid some mines (power ranging from 50 to 300) and... quickly realized that I needed a good Engineer to find all of them and to safely navigate through the forest. Very interesting!

BlumbergTemp_6%2528HollyAtWork%2529.png

If one's party doesn't have a really good Engineer, well... just stick to the roads (the bad guys already cleared them).

They guard them too. wink.png

(trying to sneak around the edge of the map won't work either.., well... currently that is)

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Editing

Medical Research Notes

The papers you found in the underground lab in Blumberg describe the experiments the lab personnel were conducting.

Something called the "I.M. project" is mentioned multiple times.

"The last two shipments were nearly perfect. This time, the acetylation of morphine hydroxyl groups derived from those samples didn't yield heroin... but something entirely different."

"The female subjects proved to be the only ones capable of transformation... Both male specimens died of renal failure. Estrogen and progesterone therapy produced no effect."

"Excessive grey pigmentation and thickening of the skin were the only adverse effects. No vomiting or respiratory depression have been observed; analgesic and arousing properties, on the other hand, were multiplied."

"...the Kommandant will surely appreciate the new additions once they arrive in Zepernick."

The rest of the documents consist of various graphs, charts and tables related to the experiment.

On the blackboard, aggression should be spelled with two "g", not one.

Player Camp/Base

If we're still using Sentinel HQ as the main base throughout the story, why not add the training modules there instead and make most or all of them available from the start? If this customizable base's going to serve as the player's main base after a certain point in the story instead, maybe have the Sentinels provide the basic building(s) and services (armory, merchant, sick/medical bay, etc.) and have the player shell out cash for expansions/upgrades.

I'm thinking an isolated manor/compound out in the countryside, since that would have a lot of space to work with. True, an underground base may be easier to hide, but it's a whole lot more restrictive. I also think that another Sentinel squad should be assigned there, since a whole base for just one squad strikes me as a bit overkill. They could serve as the enemy team in certain training modules.

Training Modules

If possible, perhaps provide special training items during certain training modules instead of making the player use their own, like high-durability weapons that deal 0 damage and medical/engineering items with extra uses but no bonuses, then removing them once the player's finished with training. Also, maybe script it so that the player can't bring anything into the training modules unless otherwise specified.

My suggestions for training modules would be:

1) An area in the woods where you search for camouflaged targets and/or try hiding from spotters.

2) An abandoned quarry with some mostly-wrecked buildings to practice with explosives of all kinds.

3) An area with a fake minefield.

Also, I have several suggestions for already suggested training modules:

1) For the shooting range, I think it should be outdoors, be in its own, separate building or have really strong walls, so as to prevent damage to the building from overpenetration. I would definitely recommend a separate training module for explosives like grenades or rocket launchers if the shooting range is indoors. I would also suggest 2 versions of the shooting range if the training weapons suggested earlier are implemented, one with training weapons purely for training Shooting skills, and one that lets the player use real weapons to build familiarity with them and/or see their effects.

2) For the sick/medical bay, I think it should have a section with several lifelike training dummies or volunteers with various different simulated injuries, kept separate from the main section used for treating those who are actually wounded. Maybe have some doctors/nurses near each one that explains what "injuries" the dummy/volunteer has and what they should be treated with.

Can chars detect mine some time later if they don't detect it immediately? Like they can see enemy in hide.

Shh..,

I don't think mine detection works the same way as spotting hidden characters. They either can see the mine or not at all. I'm not certain about the characters who use only 'Spot' to detect mines (scouts and snipers) since their engineering skill would be mediocre compared to engineers'.

The only similarity I've noticed so far is that the mines with power settings slightly above the detecting character's engineering skill - get revealed when the character is very close to them (sometimes they have to be right next to them)...

Thank you for editing, Ecthel.

I entered all the corrections and redid the blackboard texture ("gg"). Duh! smile.png

Those camp/base module ideas are great!

You see, initially I thought of making short cutscenes with characters:

- entering a purchased/provided module (part of the 'base'),

- showing appropriate animations (shooting, throwing, fixing something, etc.),

- updating that specific skill to the maximum value the characters' levels would allow via a script. ( in other words - passive training)

Now, if I understood correctly you are thinking about implementing active training?

Player Camp/Base

If we're still using Sentinel HQ as the main base throughout the story, why not add the training modules there instead and make most or all of them available from the start? If this customizable base's going to serve as the player's main base after a certain point in the story instead, maybe have the Sentinels provide the basic building(s) and services (armory, merchant, sick/medical bay, etc.) and have the player shell out cash for expansions/upgrades.

I'm thinking an isolated manor/compound out in the countryside, since that would have a lot of space to work with. True, an underground base may be easier to hide, but it's a whole lot more restrictive. I also think that another Sentinel squad should be assigned there, since a whole base for just one squad strikes me as a bit overkill. They could serve as the enemy team in certain training modules.

Training Modules

If possible, perhaps provide special training items during certain training modules instead of making the player use their own, like high-durability weapons that deal 0 damage and medical/engineering items with extra uses but no bonuses, then removing them once the player's finished with training. Also, maybe script it so that the player can't bring anything into the training modules unless otherwise specified.

My suggestions for training modules would be:

1) An area in the woods where you search for camouflaged targets and/or try hiding from spotters.

2) An abandoned quarry with some mostly-wrecked buildings to practice with explosives of all kinds.

3) An area with a fake minefield.

Also, I have several suggestions for already suggested training modules:

1) For the shooting range, I think it should be outdoors, be in its own, separate building or have really strong walls, so as to prevent damage to the building from overpenetration. I would definitely recommend a separate training module for explosives like grenades or rocket launchers if the shooting range is indoors. I would also suggest 2 versions of the shooting range if the training weapons suggested earlier are implemented, one with training weapons purely for training Shooting skills, and one that lets the player use real weapons to build familiarity with them and/or see their effects.

2) For the sick/medical bay, I think it should have a section with several lifelike training dummies or volunteers with various different simulated injuries, kept separate from the main section used for treating those who are actually wounded. Maybe have some doctors/nurses near each one that explains what "injuries" the dummy/volunteer has and what they should be treated with.

Awesome stuff!

I do have a concern, though. Primarily with shooting and melee training - bringing the already existing/developed weapon familiarity down (unless the same RPG item is used during the training) if 'active' training approach is implemented.

I'll need to test the passive training out first, of course. smile.png

Ok, I have a couple of things I wrote for the "Drug Lab" that might require editing.

The party starts next to the "Achtung Minen" sign and a message pops up:

MessageBox()

ready for editing:

"Old German minefield! An experienced engineer could prove to be very useful here."

Then the camera moves to the vehicle where two enemy fighters are having a conversation.

DialogPlay()

ready for editing:

Patrol: Are you done with this side?

Worker: Yes, the road and the paths are clear… Just stay away from the forest there are still a lot of live ones there.

Patrol: Good to know… Hey, where is that new shooter Kommandant gave you?

Worker: I stashed it in the ruins, behind a couple of RMIs, … you know… for safekeeping.

Patrol: (chuckling) Clever!

Worker: Well, I figured if someone can get it without getting blown up - he deserves it.

Patrol: True... (sighing) I can't wait to put our uniforms back on and get back into action. I am sick of babysitting Fletcher and his chronies. How much longer are we going to be guarding this lab?

Worker: I don't know but Kommandant said to have patience. We'll just have to sit and wait. Don't worry, our time will come… soon.

Patrol: Yeah, maybe you're right... Oh well, I am off on patrol.

(I am going to put a unique Kar98 in the ruins)

The point of this dialog is:

- to bring up Kommandant

- to mention the 'shooter' and the mines again

- to indirectly indicate that these guys are former military (most likely Wehrmacht), still maintaining some sort of hierarchy...

Now, the camera goes back to the party and before the game starts another message 'reminds' us about the objectives.

ready for editing:

MessageBox()

"Find the lab and the British scientist working in it."

(...kind of weak, feel free to tear it apart smile.png )

After we clear the area and find the "Research Notes" we'll probably need another pop-up at the end.

Any suggestions???

[edit] Just found the reason why some of the summer spruces had the 'snow cloud' particle effect in the last destruction stage.

Fixed it! wink.png

[edit] The unique Kar 98 is ready

Weapons_Mauser_Kar98%2528DarkSteelNoScope%2529_1.png

Apparently, Mannlicher has two "n"s in it (at least that's what multiple sites related to Mannlicher-Carcano rifles state)

So, I changed those rifles' names to "Mannlicher ...<the rest of the title>...".

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Training

Ah, I didn't know it could be done that way. In that case, I think passive training would be the way to go, if it can be done. My suggestions could be used as the backdrop for the cutscenes, then, if you want.

I would like active versions of the weapon training modules, though, so I can see what a weapon does and how well it does it without having to go into combat with a possibly sub-par weapon. Hmm, durability loss could be an issue, is there any way to temporarily prevent it?

Editing

"An old German minefield! An experienced engineer could prove to be very useful here."

Patrol: Are you done with this side?

Worker: Yes, the road and the paths are clear… Just stay away from the forest, there are still a lot of live ones there.

Patrol: Good to know… Hey, where is that new shooter the Kommandant gave you?

Worker: I stashed it in the ruins behind a couple of RMIs, … you know… for safekeeping.

Patrol: (chuckling) Clever!

Worker: Well, I figured if someone can get it without getting blown up - they deserve it.

Patrol: True... (sighing) I can't wait to put our uniforms back on and get back into action. I am sick of babysitting Fletcher and his cronies. How much longer are we going to be guarding this lab?

Worker: I don't know, but the Kommandant said to have patience. We'll just have to sit and wait. Don't worry, our time will come… soon.

Patrol: Yeah, maybe you're right... Oh well, I am off on patrol.

"Find the lab the guards were talking about, it's likely where they've been taking the opium."

Ending Pop-Up

Hmm, how about:

"The research notes and dead test subjects you found make it very clear they were using the opium for more than just making drugs. Also, it seems that their "Kommandant" is located in Zepernik, which is also where the successes were sent. Perhaps it's time to pay him a visit."

Feel free to edit it further or throw it out, since I'm not sure what you want the pop-up to point the player towards.

Thank you for editing, Ecthel.

Now Blumberg 'Drug Lab' is ready.

BlumbergZone_1%2528StartingMessage%2529.png

BlumbergZone_2%2528FightersTalking%2529.png

These guys' engineering skill is rather high, i.e. don't expect them to trigger many mines when they attack you.

(I know it would be fun to watch) wink.png

BlumbergZone_3%25282ndMessage%2529.png

BlumbergZone_4%2528AfterTheIntro%2529.png

Don't let the uncovered (weaker) mines fool you. There might be a deadlier one ( the one you can't see) somewhere in between.

BlumbergZone_5%2528AfterRetreivingDarkSteel%2529.png

I narrowed the 'safe' paths and roads. It's still possible to navigate them without an engineer, but...you'd have to leave most of the mines behind. Besides, Engineers at higher levels are the only ones who can make 'engineer grenades' (dynamite, TNT, etc.) very deadly.

During one of my tests Holly at level 20 (Eng = 306) managed to kill the S2 final 'flying' boss and destroy her PK in 1-2 hits/explosions. Scary! In the next test I placed some weaker PKs (TH - 300HPs and Allied - 260HPs) next to the boss' (1000HPs) and they died instantly.

BlumbergZone_6%2528ClearingOutTheForest%2529.png

Currently there are 20 enemies in this encounter and around 60ish mines (difficulty ranging from 45 to 265).

BlumbergZone_7%2528DownToTheLab%2529.png

There are quite a few of them there. Let's see if our grenades will do the trick.

BlumbergZone_8%2528LabAftermathHint%2529.png

I couldn't fit it in a MessageBox() - had to create a hint for it. Good summary, Ecthel!

If 'aftermath' doesn't work - I can change it.

BlumbergZone_9%2528ZepernickAvailable%2529.png

These guys are deadly with their pistols and scalpels (especially for low level characters). Be careful!

BlumbergZone_10%2528DrFletcherEntourage%2529.png

Evil doctors... wear 'evil' masks and 'evil' side caps.

Training

Ah, I didn't know it could be done that way. In that case, I think passive training would be the way to go, if it can be done. My suggestions could be used as the backdrop for the cutscenes, then, if you want.

I didn't know either until I tested it. I wrote a small script that allows instant update of all the unit's skills (to the maximum value their current level permits). Just like the base, but all skills at once. It resembles 'Skill Watchdog' (for S2) somewhat only much shorter.

My initial idea of doing it only for a group of skills while leaving other ones unchanged requires further testing. There are some stumbling blocks. The UnitGetSkill(...) and UnitGetSkillMaxValue(...) don't seem to help much in distinguishing between the current level of any given skill and its current maximum possible value. On checks it states there is no difference, even if the unit gets a large amount of experience with their skill values still being at the previous level.

So far, it only worked for VPs and even then it was a little strange. If you heal an injured ally fully - their status "Wounded" - will not change, and the UnitGetSkill(GetUnit("Ally"), ST_VP) will be different from UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetUnit("Ally"), ST_VP) even though their health is fully restored (i.e. 188/188). Weird! I guess the pink part of 'regained' health is not considered to be part of the MaxValue. The only time they'll be the same (for VP) is when the health bar is all green. It might be helpful in determining whether that unit needs 'Full Heal' but other than that... I am not sure.

To implement the module version (that I prefer) as compared to just total update - I'll need to figure out how to keep some skills unchanged while updating some others.

I would like active versions of the weapon training modules, though, so I can see what a weapon does and how well it does it without having to go into combat with a possibly sub-par weapon. Hmm, durability loss could be an issue, is there any way to temporarily prevent it?

I'll need to see if I can actually do it the way I planned.

If not then I'll try to do an instant update for all units in the party - with some sort of background and animations.

As for the Shooting Range - I might make it anyway to have a dedicated spot to play around with various equipment we pick up, as you suggested.

I'll see if I can write a script to preserve weapon's durability.

---------------------------------------------

[UPDATE]

I've been successful in creating a selective skill update script! smile.png

What do you think about three modules only (it will make scripting it easier...much easier)?

Scratch that I think the amount of modules doesn't need to be limited... and we can include the primary and secondary attributes in the Skill Update as well.

1) Weapon Training Shooting Range module. The skills affected:

shooting

burst

snipe

interrupt (scratch or maybe not, hmm...???)

Dex

2) Martial Arts and First Aid training. The skills affected:

melee

throwing

medicine

Str

3) Survival and Explosives training. The skills affected:

hide

spot

VP

engineering

AP

4) Sick Bay. The skills affected:

medicine

INT

5) Minefield (or Workshop). The skills affected:

engineering

IC (evasion)

Could combine medicine and engineering into something, maybe??? Bio-robotics Lab? Then the IC would go into Survival, I guess.

[edit2] Due to the nature (limitations) of the script I am writing - the primary (str, dex and int) and secondary attributes (vp,ap,ic) shouldn't be spread among several modules. (even though some of them are affected by multiple skills)

(the skill combinations and module names don't have to stay the same, in case you want to reshuffle or rename some of them)

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Training Modules

Hmm, how about something like this?

1) Shooting Range

* Shooting

* Burst

* Snipe

* Dexterity

2) Martial Arts Training

* Melee

* Throwing

* Strength

* VP

3) Survival Training/Guerrilla Tactics/Special Operations Training/Escape and Evasion Training

* Hide

* Spot

* Interrupt

* Evasion

* AP

4) Practical Science Studies/Applied Science Studies (Both mean more or less the same thing. Backdrop would probably be a laboratory, workshop or a combo of both.)

* Medicine

* Engineering

* Intelligence

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ecthel.

I just got done with the 'Training Modules'. Tested them in the editor and the game. Works better than I expected. The in-game screenshots I took didn't register any of the cutscenes (not sure why). But I'll be using the editor screenshots to fill those gaps. (There are more than 20 screenies) so I might split this update into several posts.)

Take a look:

After "Meeting Boris" (SM1 mission) we get to the base, talk to the Major* and after receiving a new mission ("Test of Loyalty") we go to the hall. There we are greeted with a hint:

TrainingModules_01_%2528ElevatorHint%2529.png

and indeed there is an elevator in the hall now.

TrainingModules_02_%2528Elevator%2529.png

The connection between the "Base" and the "Training Modules" is established via passage objects just like the "Peenemunde Archives" or "Thor's Hammer Base". Technically those attached templates are part of the same scenario zone. In this case you can safely travel back and forth between the "Base" and the "Training Modules", it saves any items you might drop or changes you might cause in the area (in the "SAVE").

TrainingModules_03_%2528Ozwell%2529.png

Ozwell might seem to be a control freak...

TrainingModules_04_%2528Ozwell_NoGo%2529.png

...but the rules are to be followed... right?

----------------------

ready for editing

Training_Dlg1:

Sgt. Ozwell: Let me check... hmm... You are not on the roster. Sorry, but I am not authorized to let you go beyond this point.

-----------------------

TrainingModules_05_%2528PopUp_NoGo%2529.png

...right!

--------------------

ready for editing:

NotASentinelYet

Training facilities are accessible to S3 personnel only.

I introduced the "fog of war" effect in order to conceal the parts of the complex the player is not supposed to see yet...

TrainingModules_06_%2528LockedDoors%2529.png

After we finish "Test of Loyalty" and are accepted in sentinels organization Sgt. Ozwell changes his tune:

(I haven't imported this dialog, suspecting it might undergo some serious changes...)

--------------------------------

ready for editing:

Training_Dlg2

Sgt. Ozwell: Let me check… hmm… Ah, here you are. All right, sign here and… here. The shooting range is right up those stairs.

You: Thanks. Where does that armored door lead?

Sgt. Ozwell: Oh, you should talk to Compton about that.

You: Who's Compton?

Sgt. Ozwell: Oh, you are new here, huh? Philip Compton is a scientist who was assigned to the 'sphere' to see if we can use it for something.

You: …the 'sphere'?

Sgt. Ozwell: That's what Compton dubbed it. (pompously) 'The Sphere', he said… I don't really know what it is aside from hearing all kinds of crackling and discharge noises from there. Spooky…

You: Have you gone in there yourself?

Sgt. Ozwell: Do I look suicidal to you? If you want to go and see what's in there - be my guest. I'll unlock the door for you. Just don't expect me to accompany you.

You: All right, I'll check it out.

Sgt. Ozwell: Good luck. If you see Compton in there tell him that he neglected to sign in for three days in a row. That's outrageous!.. Oh and he forgot this yellow tape again. Could you pass it along to him?

You: Fine...

---------------------------------

After the dialog we get another friendly pop-up

TrainingModules_07_%2528PopUpInvestigate%2529.png

-------------------------

ready for editing:

InvestigateSphere

Investigate the 'sphere' and see if you can find Compton.

-------------------------

TrainingModules_08_%2528FogOfWarLifted%2529.png

Note: I should probably add an 'unlocking' sound after the conversation.

(see next post)

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Now about that asterisk (*) I put next to the 'Major' in my previous post.

The whole story about a person who is the head of an organization that is after another organization that person is also the head of is somewhat schizophrenic, lacks originality and lowers the bar for the rest of the story. Perhaps, we could introduce a double taking over the Sentinel organization temporarily (well, until we rescue the real Major). We can place him in a bed in the infirmary (like Boris after the 1st mission) or something like that... Anyway, think about it.

Back to the "Training Modules"...

TrainingModules_09_%2528Sphere%2529.png

The sphere is open to interpretations, suggestions, etc. It's surrounded by 4 strange gates/ energy shields that visibly light up (when their corresponding modules are activated). The space behind those (R ,B ,G ,Y) shields is concealed by the 'fog of war' and could be revealed later if we decide to incorporate those in the story or some side quest later on.

TrainingModules_17_%2528Y_On_SphereRoom%2529.png

(Yellow 'ON' example)

TrainingModules_18_%2528SphereRoom_Strange%2529.png

To get the player interested in this module business I decided to present them with one of the tapes from the start. It might not be the most 'useful' one but it gives an idea about what they do and how convenient they are.

TrainingModules_10_%2528YellowTape-Inactive_R_Y%2529.png

ready for editing:

Perforated Tape ToolTip

-------------------------------

Perforated Tape

A roll of perforated tape with red markings on it. The perforations seem to be in some kind of sequence. Unfortunately, without a decoder it's impossible to use it.

------------------------------

The markings on the walls are all reworked perk icon textures and should look familiar.

TrainingModules_11_%2528Inactive_G_B%2529.png

Toby doesn't have the green tape necessary to activate this module. She stubbornly attempts to activate it anyway.

TrainingModules_12_%2528NoKeyMessage%2529.png

ready for editing

'Nothing happens' String:

Nothing happens... You don't have the key to activate this module.

TrainingModules_13_%2528YellowModuleActivated%2529.png

And if we interract with an already activated switch we'll get this pop-up:

TrainingModules_13a_%2528PressingAlreadyActiveSwitch%2529.png

(Yes, I tried to cover all the bases...) wink.png

Btw, if we haven't activated any modules we'll see this:

TrainingModules_13b_%2528PressingMasterSwitchWithoutModules%2529.png

Now let's see what the machine does.

TrainingModules_14_%2528BeforeUsing_Y-Module%2529.png

Toby is about to find out. Wish her luck...

(The effects didn't make it to the screenshot folder - so our infamous trio will have to substitute...)

TrainingModules_20a_%2528UpdateEffectsStart%2529.png

...and...

TrainingModules_20b_%2528UpdateEffectsMiddle%2529.png

The lightning flashes were too fast for me to 'capture'...

Back to Toby...

TrainingModules_15_%2528AfterUsing_Y-Module%2529.png

When exploring the area we stumble upon Compton's research notes.

TrainingModules_16_%2528ComptonNotes_Full%2529.png

ready for editing

Compton's Notes

The research notes you found near the body of Phillip Compton in the Sentinels' underground complex.

"That Ozwell, what beaurecrat! He already knows me by name, yet wants me to sign in every damn time. So irritating! I suspect he envies me..."

"This sphere is amazing! I wonder what they used it for before the war started...(smudged) ... read and by the wall markings it appears to power some sort of accelerated training routine. Hmm..."

"...Red, yellow, green and blue. Well, there is no secret here..."

"Soon they will all know my name... Phillip Compton! Yes, they will."

"I finally obtained the yellow tape. Not sure about its properties yet, but I think the perforations on it serve as a coded message that allows the machine to operate... I should study it further before attempting to use it."

"I don't want to lose the tape while in transit. I'll leave it with that moron Ozwell. At least he is useful for something."

"After fumbling with one of the energy shields I discovered it can be temporarily disabled by rewiring some of the circuts. I'll try to sneak into the plasma battery room tomorrow and see if..."

The rest of the notes contain different calculations along with technical details and draft schematics of various circuts.

_________

(see next post)

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Once we find all the remaining tapes and activate all the switches - the "Accelerated Training Protocol" will be finally complete.

TrainingModules_19_%2528ActivatingAllModules%2529.png

and we will attempt to 'update' Toby's skills (at lvl. 15)

TrainingModules_20_%2528BeforeFullUpdate%2529.png

skipping all the effects...

TrainingModules_21_%2528AfterFullUpdate%2529.png

Ta-da! <...fake applause...> Thank you, thank you. smile.png

Here is another version of the update with only 3 modules active (say, we failed to find the Red Tape):

TrainingModules_21a_%2528AfterPartialUpdateNoRed%2529.png

This time it was performed on a soldier.

I am not sure if we need any messages for the 'master switch'. I think it's pretty obvious (in the middle and lit up). If that's not enough I can add a MessageBox() to pop-up or something...

The music I chose for this is called 'Dungeon' (Sentinels' original soundtrack) with a 'Cave' reverb. It adds to the gloomy, dark atmosphere. One of my in-house testers called it "creepy". I wholeheartedly agree. Reminded me of "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." (goosebumps)

TrainingModules_22_%2528ComptonBody%2529.png

Now, I haven't added anything to his body (clues, rare items) yet. Perhaps, you can suggest something.

Maybe a note or a document containing some information about the way Compton 'acquired' the yellow tape. He might even have some rare Martial Arts gear on him (unique shurikens, or a katana, runic sword, etc.)

Suggested sites for the rest of the tapes:

Blue (Scientific) - Some lab (either The Professor's or Wansdorf labs)?

Red (Firearms) - Kommandant's House?

Green (Survival) - Alien Encounter or Area X1 (with that flying saucer from S2)?

TrainingModules_24_%2528AllTapes%2529.png

TrainingModules_23_%2528NewObjects%2529.png

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Editing

Training_Dlg1:

Sgt. Ozwell: Let me check... hmm... You aren't on the roster. Sorry, but I can't let you go beyond this point.

NotASentinelYet

It seems only Sentinels are allowed to use the training facilities.

Training_Dlg2

Sgt. Ozwell: Let me check… hmm… Ah, here you are. All right, sign here and… here. The shooting range is right up those stairs.

You: Thanks. Where does that armored door lead?

Sgt. Ozwell: You should talk to Compton about that.

You: Who's Compton?

Sgt. Ozwell: You're new here, huh? Phillip Compton is a scientist working for the Sentinels. He's been assigned to investigate the 'sphere', to see if we can use it for something.

You: …the 'sphere'?

Sgt. Ozwell: That's what Compton dubbed it. (pompously) 'The Sphere', he said… I don't really know what it is, though I keep hearing all kinds of crackling and discharge noises from in there. Spooky…

You: Have you gone in there yourself?

Sgt. Ozwell: Do I look suicidal to you? If you want to go and see what's in there - be my guest. I'll unlock the door for you. Just don't expect me to accompany you.

You: All right, I'll check it out.

Sgt. Ozwell: Good luck. By the way, if you see Compton in there, tell him that he neglected to sign in for three days in a row. Ah, and he forgot to pick up this roll of yellow tape he left with me. Could you pass it along to him?

You: Fine...

Perforated Tape

A roll of perforated tape with markings on it. The perforations seem to be in some kind of sequence. It probably requires a specialized decoder to be used, perhaps the markings are a clue as to which one?

'Nothing happens' String:

Nothing happens... Perhaps it needs a specific item to be activated.

Nothing happens... on closer inspection, you see a small slot. You might need to insert something to activate it. (Would prefer this one be used, if it isn't too long)

Nothing happens. You need the tape with the right markings to activate it. (After successfully activating another module, if possible)

Compton's Notes

The research notes you found near Phillip Compton's body in the Sentinels' underground complex.

"Ozwell is such a bureaucrat! He already knows my face and my name, yet he still wants me to sign in every damn time I come in!"

"This sphere is amazing! I wonder what they used it for... (smudged) ...read and by the wall markings, it appears to power some sort of accelerated training routine. Hmm..."

"...Red, yellow, green and blue. Well, nothing extraordinary here..."

"Soon, all will know the name of Phillip Compton! Yes, they will..."

"I finally obtained the yellow tape. I'm not sure about its properties yet, but I think the perforations on it serve as a coded message that tells the machine how to operate... I should study it further before attempting to use it."

"I don't want to lose the tape while in transit. I'll leave it with Ozwell. At least that fastidiousness of his is useful for something."

"After tinkering with one of the energy barriers, I discovered it can be temporarily disabled by rewiring some of the circuits. I'll try to sneak into the plasma battery room tomorrow and see if..."

The rest of the notes contain various calculations and formulas, along with technical details and draft schematics of various circuits.

Phillip Compton

Poor guy, gets brought back from S2 only to be killed offscreen and given slight megalomaniac tendencies and anger issues too.

Should probably have a cutscene where you report his death to the other Sentinels after you find his body. As for what's on his body, I'm guessing engineering equipment of some sort, since he was planning on tinkering around with the device. Also, maybe a clue detailing what he managed to find out about the 'sphere' before he died.

The Sphere

I certainly wasn't expecting a sphere of electricity for the training facility, reminds me of the glowing spheres the Outsiders dropped on Groom Range in The Bureau. Definitely looks like alien tech, so I think the tapes would be in the hands of people studying it. Maybe Thor's Hammer?

About the master switch, I think there should be a small sign next to it at least, for the benefit of the Sentinels tasked with investigating it.

Hi there, Blunterl.

Got a question for about uniforms: do i need to specify somehere what particular model of body armour is used wit a model of the pers? And if yes - how to specify it?

And may be you have an idea of how to modify dialogues? I failed to find any reference to it in editor manual.

Well, that sure is interesting, I just ask me how all of this ties into the main plot.

Lt, you think it's too advanced for Sentinels?.. or it doesn't belong in their base?.. ???

Generally, I like side plots whether they are related to the main quest line or are completely independent.

Don't worry I am not abandoning "Die Wolfe", just adding different things along the way that's all. smile.png

(Of course, I could have added a single switch somewhere or an automatic update script like Watchdog. I chose not to.)

Nothing happens... on closer inspection, you see a small slot. You might need to insert something to activate it. (Would prefer this one be used, if it isn't too long)

Nothing happens. You need the tape with the right markings to activate it. (After successfully activating another module, if possible)

Thank you for editing, Ecthel. I've entered all the corrections. smile.png

The ones you proposed work better and make more sense.

TrainingModules_26_%2528Nothing-NoActiveModules%2529.png

TrainingModules_25_%2528CorrectMarkingsNeeded%2529.png

I scripted the latter to pop-up in case we've already activated any of the other three modules.

Phillip Compton

Poor guy, gets brought back from S2 only to be killed offscreen and given slight megalomaniac tendencies and anger issues too.

Should probably have a cutscene where you report his death to the other Sentinels after you find his body. As for what's on his body, I'm guessing engineering equipment of some sort, since he was planning on tinkering around with the device. Also, maybe a clue detailing what he managed to find out about the 'sphere' before he died.

I can keep him alive if there is a part for him to play later on.

What do you think that clue might be? (about the sphere)

The Sphere

I certainly wasn't expecting a sphere of electricity for the training facility, reminds me of the glowing spheres the Outsiders dropped on Groom Range in The Bureau. Definitely looks like alien tech, so I think the tapes would be in the hands of people studying it. Maybe Thor's Hammer?

Sorry, I haven't played The Bureau sad.png

We could keep the whole 'sphere' business mysterious... or explain it at some point...

I could even move it to a different location or make it unrelated to the base or the Sentinels if we decide not to use it in there...

If it stays at the base:

- the fake Major could have been sent there to discover its secrets...

- the base could have been built on an old TH satellite crash site (with Helena Hellstein's buried deep under the rubble whose body we might discover later)...

- It's a rare natural phenomenon...

- it's a fluke by-product of some human activity or military operations ???

- alien tech is a good idea (we can tie it to Area X1 easily)

- secret tech developed by the third Reich at the end of the war...

(if we keep the 'sphere' I'll need to experiment if I can create lightning based ammo and attacks. Probably more like AP or Ray rounds with direct damage that doesn't ricochet)

About the master switch, I think there should be a small sign next to it at least, for the benefit of the Sentinels tasked with investigating it.

I'll probably put an arrow above it or something...

Hi there, Blunterl.

Got a question for about uniforms: do i need to specify somehere what particular model of body armour is used wit a model of the pers? And if yes - how to specify it?

And may be you have an idea of how to modify dialogues? I failed to find any reference to it in editor manual.

Hello Okim,

1.) Uniform Group ( for body armors ) in the 'Uniforms' tab. If you don't put a number corresponding to any of the existing body armor models - the characters wearing that uniform won't be able to equip any body armor.

2.) What do you mean by modifying dialogs? Changing the existing strings (in the 'Strings' tab)? Importing new dialogs with Microsoft Excel (Dialog Template)? Organizing Ackinfo for each string? Or running them in various in-game sequences via scripts?

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Thanks for the quick answer.

Template i what i was looking for - it isn`t present in the 'source' or described in the manual. Other dialog/scripting stuff is more or less understandable.

BTW, you`ve done an admirable work here for the past year smile.png

Just a quick question about the template:

- what are the 'IntonationDescription' and 'action' fields used for? First is sound, second is animation?