The Movie Thread

Slaughter

Well, as I mentioned in the review thread I think Hollywood produce a lot of *censored* movies these days. I have more or less lost faith completely. I did however stumble over the trailer to a movie the other day that had me laughing all way through. Simple humour done right is my cup of tea. Now there's no guarantees the movie is any good just because the trailer is fun, but one can always hope.

The Pacifier trailer

I'm hearing you on Sanity FM there, Slaughter. Most of the movies Hollywood knocks out are disposable crap, much like the pop music industry, but they do make some good 'uns now and again, if only through sheer volume. The bit when the duck bit his ear made me cackle like a madman.

"Movies I'm looking forward to"

This motion picture is probably as far removed from mainstream as you could possibly imagine, but with its beautiful fotografy and captivating mix of old and new, it's a telling I won't forgo

https://www.travellersandmagicians.com/travellers.html

::

Here's a little trivia on the "making-of" side of things

In keeping with the ways of the country (Bhutan), many major major production decisions about the film were determined by mo, an ancient method of divination performed by specially skilled lamas. The mo dictated principal cast, crew and even the first day of shooting.

:huh:

Generally, I find movies I look forward to end up either biting the dust before they ever get made, or just end up, well, to quote Bart Simpson "I had no idea something could suck and blow at the same time." It's movies that take me by surprise that I end up really enjoying, most of which are foreign these days, stuff like Intacto, hana bi, bangkok dangerous etc, basically films that get near-zero publicity that I trip over by accident.

Hana-Bi is awesome! I have several other Kitano-movies as well, Violent Cop, Brother, Sonatine etc. They are all worth looking, i especially like the "nihilistic-but-still-traditional-and-japanese-and-organized" style of his films. :huh:

What i really would like to see, hmmm, maybe a version of American Psycho that is like the book, and not the "neutered" version you can find everywhere...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread. With The Descent, official site.

I love Brit films, they give me a warm fuzzy feeling in my patriotic li'l heart. Brit horror in particular, (28DL, Dog Soldiers) has been pretty good, too.

Haven't seen Million Dollar Baby yet, that's meant to be cracking.

Kung Fu Hustle looks good.

Drooling over Land of the Dead.

The Descent looks cool. I thought his previous movie - Dog Soldiers - sucked, but this may be better. I'll keep an eye on it.

Million Dollar Baby is great! Kung Fu Hustle looks...interesting. Land of the Dead may be good, though I'm getting tired of Zombie movies.

Exactly! But it does sound as if it has definite possibilities.

Into the Mirror (Korean) also looks damn good, more than a touch of X-files thanks to it's paranormal investigation plotline, but as it's a foreign film there's sod all websites for it.

Legend is pretty good, a bit choppy in places but it's Cruise before he entered Shpielberg Hell, plus the love interest isn't too bad either.

Willow was like THE film when I was wee, damn good laugh in places, surprisingly good action too.

Both good sword and sorcery type films, effects may be a tad dated now (both made in the 80s) but nothing too bad. Going cheap on DVD, too.