XCOM Enemy Unknown

Having an eye in the sky will pay off in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. That much one can easily glean from the latest sneak peek at Joystiq about the game, where our doubts about how UFO interceptions will work are satisfyingly shot down and clarified.

The exclusive piece has producer Garth DeAngelis and lead designer Jake Solomon openly sharing intel about this previously secretive subject.

Here's an excerpt:

Campaign missions are separate from UFO missions. These missions allow the members of XCOM – the in-game world's Extraterrestrial Combat Unit – to keep the global peace, rewarding players with funds and resources like scientists and engineers. Meanwhile, UFO missions offer more tangible rewards in the form of recovered alien technology. DeAngelis likens UFO missions to finding a treasure chest – "a treasure chest full of horrible things that want to kill you," Solomon says.

There are plenty of nice details revealed about this aspect of the game and also a handful of related screenshots to better lock on to what is spoken about.

Special thanks to ShadowBlade for spotting this one and putting it in our radar.

No. I think it is just a renaming of old options: Abort, Standoff, Standard Attack mode, Cautious mode. I would suspect that Dodge would mean the UFO will have a penalty to hit the plane and the plane has a lower rate of fire.

Nope. It's not a rename. Most likely they'd ditched the whole range-based aspect of the original.

I don't see any controls for multiple craft interception too, although that doesn't mean they're not there.

I'm actually pretty hopeful that they'll take up this opportunity to improve the dull minigame from the originals.

I'd have to see the whole interface in action before I pass definitive judgment, but so far it really looks like an arcade game from the 90s :-/ Hopefully you can rotate it to get a proper top down view.