TFTD Extender

Tycho

Talking about additions to the extender, I'd be nice to have the autosave, quicksave and most importantly load/quickload features added. Right now I'm going to try to use AHK as a workaround. Hope it'll help.

The new Xcom looks really promising. Actually I'm thinking about replaying TFTD mostly because of its release. However, I'm not going to rush it. Usually it takes some time until Firaxis games become optimized.

Save equipment is still not working 100% i think. In 1.05 it saved weapons in hand for first 8 aquanauts, bombs were saved for all aquanauts but not in belt slot, instead it always went to leg slot. Also torpedo/disruptor launcher were assigned to wrong aquanauts as were their ammo. In 1.05.1 all aquanauts, not just 8, get weapons equipped to arm slots but partially wrong. Thermal shocks, disruptors are assigned wrong as is their ammo. Half of the Sonic cannons clips are found in random aquanauts backpacks, the same ammo that should be in other aquanauts cannons, not leave my guys with blanks smile.png

I provide with save game with my team about to land on crash site equipped as follows:

first 10 - sonic canon right arm, bomb in belt

next 2 - thermal shock right arm, bomb belt then two ammo

last 2 - disruptor right arm, ammo in belt then bomb then another ammo

But, it's not exactly like that. Save eq is = 1 of course.

I hope it's not too late and you're still on top of things Tycho. Rest works fantastic biggrin.png

GAME_4.rar

New patched released:

version 1.05 patch 2 (requires v1.05)

* Extender now requires MS VC 2008 Redist. installed since it seems to run better under Windows 7.

* Fixed problem where production materials where being removed from the wrong base due to Manufacturing Limit Fix.

* Clips loaded into weapons that were dropped on the battlescape will not be incorrectly given to the player when a mission is aborted.

* The mod for OBDATA.DAT now works correctly.

* MCed units made unconscious will have the MC effects removed.

* Displacer/Sonic turrent damage changed to 125 to keep it to the same damage ratio as the Hovertank/Plasma:Plasma Cannon in EU.

Patch available at the link in my signature. Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback and had the patience to wait while I fixed the problems reported. Enjoy!

Edited by Tycho

Hey Tycho. Were you still looking into the issue with mp3 playback and codecs, or is the newest update supposed to address that?

Anyways, teroteki over at the Steam forums shared a pretty nifty way of isolating which codecs conflict with Extender. Thought I'd link it here in case someone wanted a method for isolating which codecs are screwing things up on their system.

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33138727&postcount=272

Hello,

Just have to open by saying I've been waiting for someone to get the extender running on TFTD, great work! After finishing the new XCOM I'm having fun on a new play through of TFTD (probably my 6th or 7th over all since years ago) on true Genius difficulty, I wasn't aware that every time I played the old DOS version I was playing beginner regardless of what I chose sad.png

Just wanting to report in on a few bugs I have noticed, for reference I am using the TFTD CE edition files from Steam, I started a fresh install and new game with TFTD extender 'patch 1.05p1.1' installed (installed as per the post by JurrasicUtility), and have upgraded to 'patch #2 for version 1.05' when it was released.

BUG; Aquanaut firing after an alien reaction shot uses alien weapon; I have noticed this on a few occasions as early on I was using full Guass tech, if I spotted an alien and went to shoot at it, and the action of my aquanaut turning on the spot caused the alien to fire a reaction shot, when it came time for my aquanaut to fire he would fire with the same weapon the alien was holding, the visual effect and sound effect matched the aliens weapon, interesting to see Gauss visual shooting sonic shots.

BUG; Explosives going off in an aquanauts hand are centered where they started the mission; If you arm an explosive and let it explode in your soldiers hands (yeah my time unit management isn't great sometimes) the explosion is centered on where the soldier was standing at the start of the mission, not based on his actual location. I've had this demonstrated by Magna grenades as well as dye grenades exploding inside my craft even though they were well away from there.

BUG; Crash when entering stage 2 of Alien Artifact mission; When attempting to transition to the second part of the Alien Artifact two part mission it crashes and states that it was "unable to fit Y axis" if you view the Terror from the deep.exe window

MOD; Save equipment doesn't appear to function; I have noticed the same issues as Nilex, it is assigning some troops a gun plus an extra magazine while assiging other troops empty weapons.

MOD; Alternate tech tree (Vibro blade); I currently have a vibro blade in my stores, I have not researched a Calcinite but the option to research the Vibro blade is not appearing. The alien sub and ion / Mag ion armours did work as mentioned in the mod.

Hopefully this information is helpful, I can supply a save game to show my research for the vibro blade not appearing as well as a save for the alien artifact part 2 causing a crash if required. If these issues are unique to myself and not happening to others I'd be interested to know as well.

Can I please get confirmation on a OBDATA change I am wanting to do to make the magna pack USO breachable, this would be "MAGNA-PACK Damage=200" listed under the current OBDATA mods in the extender correct? Also does anyone know if changing the damage, also changes the explosion radius?

I cannot tell you enough how much I am enjoying a playable version of TFTD on current computers, thanks for your efforts Tycho and Kyrub!

Edited; 24/10/12 for easier to read layout.

Hello,

Just have to open by saying I've been waiting for someone to get the extender running on TFTD, great work! After finishing the new XCOM I'm having fun on a new play through of TFTD (probably my 6th or 7th over all since years ago) on true Genius difficulty, I wasn't aware that every time I played the old DOS version I was playing beginner regardless of what I chose sad.png

Just wanting to report in on a few bugs I have noticed, for reference I am using the TFTD CE edition files from Steam, I started a fresh install and new game with TFTD extender 'patch 1.05p1.1' installed (installed as per the post by JurrasicUtility), and have upgraded to 'patch #2 for version 1.05' when it was released.

BUG; Aquanaut firing after an alien reaction shot uses alien weapon; I have noticed this on a few occasions as early on I was using full Guass tech, if I spotted an alien and went to shoot at it, and the action of my aquanaut turning on the spot caused the alien to fire a reaction shot, when it came time for my aquanaut to fire he would fire with the same weapon the alien was holding, the visual effect and sound effect matched the aliens weapon, interesting to see Gauss visual shooting sonic shots.

This is the first report of this. If you can give me a game save where it reliably occurs, it would be a huge help.

BUG; Explosives going off in an aquanauts hand are centered where they started the mission; If you arm an explosive and let it explode in your soldiers hands (yeah my time unit management isn't great sometimes) the explosion is centered on where the soldier was standing at the start of the mission, not based on his actual location. I've had this demonstrated by Magna grenades as well as dye grenades exploding inside my craft even though they were well away from there.

Seb doesn't have any code to update the position of the grenade. Usually it is updated when thrown but with the hot grenade mod, this may not happen.

BUG; Crash when entering stage 2 of Alien Artifact mission; When attempting to transition to the second part of the Alien Artifact two part mission it crashes and states that it was "unable to fit Y axis" if you view the Terror from the deep.exe window

This is an error on my part. I am attempting to reduce the size of the second stage for some missions. I left some of the code active when I released the last patch. I'll try to fix that and release a new one soon.

MOD; Save equipment doesn't appear to function; I have noticed the same issues as Nilex, it is assigning some troops a gun plus an extra magazine while assiging other troops empty weapons.

I am aware of the problem and am trying to isolate the cause. For now, it might be a good idea to disable the mod.

MOD; Alternate tech tree (Vibro blade); I currently have a vibro blade in my stores, I have not researched a Calcinite but the option to research the Vibro blade is not appearing. The alien sub and ion / Mag ion armours did work as mentioned in the mod.

If you could send me a copy of the RESEARCH.DAT file for that saved game, I'll take a look at it.

Hopefully this information is helpful, I can supply a save game to show my research for the vibro blade not appearing as well as a save for the alien artifact part 2 causing a crash if required. If these issues are unique to myself and not happening to others I'd be interested to know as well.

Can I please get confirmation on a OBDATA change I am wanting to do to make the magna pack USO breachable, this would be "MAGNA-PACK Damage=200" listed under the current OBDATA mods in the extender correct? Also does anyone know if changing the damage, also changes the explosion radius?

I cannot tell you enough how much I am enjoying a playable version of TFTD on current computers, thanks for your efforts Tycho and Kyrub!

Yes, that looks like the correct sentax for the magna-pak entry. And yes, changing the damage will change the size of the explosion, up to a point. There is a maximum limit to the area of an explosion and the boundaris are clipped so damage there is higher than you would expect.

I'm glad your finding the extender enjoyable!

Hello again,

Yes I will be able engineer a save file for the reaction fire bug, I spotted it a total of three times in my play through so far, so it shouldn't take too long, will post again once I have one for you to test with. Here is a copy of my research file to download; https://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~shamarhenderson/RESEARCH.DAT

I would go as far as to say that once you have played with the extender, you could never go back, such a great improvement. Look forward to your next updates and will continue to spread the word of the TFTD extender.

Cheers! :)

Hello again,

Yes I will be able engineer a save file for the reaction fire bug, I spotted it a total of three times in my play through so far, so it shouldn't take too long, will post again once I have one for you to test with. Here is a copy of my research file to download; https://homepages.ihu...on/RESEARCH.DAT

I would go as far as to say that once you have played with the extender, you could never go back, such a great improvement. Look forward to your next updates and will continue to spread the word of the TFTD extender.

Cheers! smile.png

For some reasons, the changes were not made to the vibroblade entry in research. You did start the game at tech level 3, correct? In any case, I changed the entry and you should now see the option for the vibroblade if you have one in the base.

Tycho, thx for ufo extender, its little buggy, but was a better way to play instead of dosbox version... wana try tftd too, but need src of TFTD Extender to fix localization for my language, can you upload it if you can please? will be very greatfull smile.png

You wouldn't need the extender source to localize the game strings. They are all stored in .DAT files.

You might want to look at this post. Someone wrote an executable to replace the french entry with any language:

https://www.strategyc...anguages-patch/

For some reasons, the changes were not made to the vibroblade entry in research. You did start the game at tech level 3, correct? In any case, I changed the entry and you should now see the option for the vibroblade if you have one in the base.

It looks like I have misread the wiki, I currently have it set as "Start with Alternate Tech Tree=1" I was not aware of how you specify the level of alternate tree you were wishing to use. For future clarification, if you wished to use level three it would look like "Start with Alternate Tech Tree=3"? It might be worth exanding on in the UFOpaedia entry if that is the case.

Thanks for that updated research.dat! I will use that.

EDIT; Have also found MOD; Use All Items On Land is not functioning, Gas cannons and standard missile launcher will not fire. Mag ion doesn't allow flying.

You wouldn't need the extender source to localize the game strings. They are all stored in .DAT files.

You might want to look at this post. Someone wrote an executable to replace the french entry with any language:

https://www.strategyc...anguages-patch/

thx smile.png i will try it.. though i meant extender strings like soldiers inventory one: weight, accuracy etc.. "all your bases belong to us", etc, it's not fully exported to ini in ufo extender.. in tdtd extender its not exported at all..

pss maybe you will be interested.. mm geoscape alien sub bug with save when it's stucked on north pole, i had it long time ago in 1999 when tried tdtd first time and still present with current fixes looks like.. save attached

psss found small.. bug in ufo extender src, last ones october, mp3 music didnt work in it so i restored that string from april sources and now music works:

sprintf(buf,"open \"%s/%s\"type mpegvideo alias MUSIC",path,filename);

to

sprintf(buf,"open \"%s/%s\" type mpegvideo alias MUSIC",path,filename);

though it's little strange.. i dont see any error in your october record, sprintf stores symbols in buffer if i remember correct, maybe some visual compiler glitch.

game_1_bug.rar

found small.. bug in ufo extender src, last ones october, mp3 music didnt work in it so i restored that string from april sources and now music works:

sprintf(buf,"open \"%s/%s\"type mpegvideo alias MUSIC",path,filename);

to

sprintf(buf,"open \"%s/%s\" type mpegvideo alias MUSIC",path,filename);

though it's little strange.. i dont see any error in your october record, sprintf stores symbols in buffer if i remember correct, maybe some visual compiler glitch.

There is one error which is important when creating a string to pass as a command to the MCI layer: having a space in the command. "type mpeg video alias MUSIC" -> " type mpegvideo alias MUSIC".

Thanks for catching that! I've already fixed it in my source. Someone else volunteered to attempt to switch the Extender to use Directshow for mp3 playback to hopefully avoid the codec problem that some people are having with MCI, but I haven't heard back from that person since the initial offer.

version 1.05 patch 3 (requires v1.05)

• fixed issue with the mod "all items usable on land".
  • fixed issue with error on second stage of artifact sites.
  • added options for localization of text used in the equipment screen. See description in Equipment section on Extender's main information page.

Nice work! Just played a terror mission and items were working on land.

I have encountered a manufacturing bug at the moment, I am unable to assign any technicians to build the Leviathan, I am also limited to assigning 5 technicians at maximum to make Guass Cannon Ammo. I noticed the cannon ammo bug was present in (patch 1.05p1.1) but was not far enough along to know if the Leviathan was also the same.

Attached save game with the manufacturing bug.

There isn't a problem with the Gauss Cannon Ammo. Only five technicians hours are available for each ammo, so by the way the manufacturing works, only five can be assigned. Are you playing with the alternate tech level mod? If so, what level?

The problem with the levithan is in the manufacturing rate limit fix. Until I can get a fix, you can temp disable the fix, load your game, set the production order, save, enable the fix, and it will keep the order running. Or you could disable the fix entirely, but need to remember that certain item, like the Gauss Cannon Ammo, will allow you to assign more technicians than are required and any above the limit will be wasted.

Edited by Tycho

Cheers for the info, wasn't aware Gauss ammo was limited to 5 technicians. I have turned off the manufacture rate limit fix and have started manufacturing Leviathan's without any issues, will turn it back on again once I've made enough of them.

I am running "Start with Alternate Tech Tree=1" I was wanting to check, how do I actually set it to level 3 if I wished to? "Start with Alternate Tech Tree=3"?

Cheers for the info, wasn't aware Gauss ammo was limited to 5 technicians. I have turned off the manufacture rate limit fix and have started manufacturing Leviathan's without any issues, will turn it back on again once I've made enough of them.

I am running "Start with Alternate Tech Tree=1" I was wanting to check, how do I actually set it to level 3 if I wished to? "Start with Alternate Tech Tree=3"?

I came across this fact when I was modding my own personal game in EU and wanted a tech to recycle clips for elerium, thinking I could get ten techs do twenty clips in 2 hours. Nope, 1 tech took twenty hours.

You choose the starting alt tech level exactly as you described: =1, =2, =3.

version 1.05 patch 3.1 (requires v1.05)

• fixed issue with the mod "all items usable on land".
  • fixed issue with error on second stage of artifact sites.
  • corrected problem in manufacturing limit rate fix not allowing you to produce a Leviathan.
  • added options for localization of text used in the equipment screen. See description in Equipment section on Extender's main information page.

I'm sorry to write in with another issue (possibly due to my own noob-ness), but I'm having a problem getting the new patch to work for me. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do with patcher.dll. Do I just stick in the TFTD folder and replace the patcher.dll that came with the Extender or do I need to do something with it? As of right now, the Pulse Wave Torpedo launcher won't set up waypoints on land, and the manufacturing rate limit bug will not let me task engineers to a leviathan, which I'm certain the new patch was meant to fix.