Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Kernel

No, the aliens do not invade your main base in this game. I saw a video or read an interview where that was addressed - sorry, I read so many I can't cite it now - but they looked into it and the ant farm layout just did not work for it, so no, no base defense mission(s). I don't mind - there's plenty to do from all I've seen.

I think there are some scripted missions in this game (think of them as stpryline mission ah la Silent Storm) and I think one of the RPS interviews sort of hints one of those missions would be some sort of base defense mission.

I think. Not got time to trawl through all the RPS articles while at work :)

As a designer I want the player to feel like they’re always hanging on by their fingernails. Like, ok you’ve clawed this in and really you’re just trying to drive the aliens out. But at the same time as you’re playing that game, the aliens are trying to make earth succumb, and you’re racing along the research and development trees and trying to manage everything else, because pretty soon it’s just going to become an unmatchable situation.

::

From the interview with Lead Designer Jake Solomon at Kill Screen.

That is second review that says the maps aren't generated - so does anyone remember what Jake said ? Is it like maps get locations of cars, buildings in the same place because if not you can say the same about original that maps weren't generated because if you were lucky you could have 3 missions in a row in same farm layout :P which obviously knows that maps were generated over certain presets

A gameplay video starting with UFO Interception and the subsequent mission at a desert where the UFO crashed.

https://www.joystiq.c...-enemy-unknown/

Couple of things which I've only seen for the first time (maybe due to my own lack of update):

- Actual Interception gameplay

- Desert landscape

- The Inside of the UFO

- Smoke grenade!

- Cool animation associated with the shotgun

- The 'Outsider' alien