Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Kernel

• 2 weeks later...

Jake Solomon briefly discusses tactics, fairness or lack thereof at VG247.

Here's a snippet:

"With the original game – I know how it works – but people typically didn't understand why they were getting shot. That created huge amounts of tension in the original game, and put you in the dark – literally in the dark. You could take a step, get shot and be like 'who the f**k was that?'"

::

Apparently they'll have a full interview and multiplayer hands-on impressions there soonish too.

Jake specifically said 2K wanted the multiplayer component, and to that effect provided extra funds for it. And there's a dedicated team for it, so he stressed the inclusion of such a mode doesn't compromise the effort being invested on the singleplayer.

More multiplayer impressions at VG24/7.

Here's a snip:

Fans of the original XCOM will already be accustomed to that sense of unease and the demand for smart thinking at all times. One stupid move or misplaced ability could create a weak spot in your defence, leaving you wide open for slaughter.

This new multiplayer offering is no different.(...)

Like that bit of the article's title too where it says "Chess is for wimps" :D

Speak for yourself smile.png

I do! I do! ;-)

Supposedly today there is going to be more live gameplay from Pax Prime, again through the 2K channel at twitch.tv.

Not sure whether the link will work - it's still early night over there.

Can't wait to see more. I definitely want the Platinum Trophy (Yes, I'll play the PC version, too, if my PC is up to it).

Interview with Jake Solomon at RPS.

A snip:

I’m concerned that it’s the hipster effect, “save and reload, why would I do that?”, but I would strongly recommend they don’t go straight there. I just don’t want people to romanticise getting your ass kicked too much, because while it is fun and internally we view playing on Classic difficulty in Iron Man mode to be the true form of the game, the pure form, I would not recommend that people do that first.

Pretty much a retread and, after PAX's live gameplay sessions only a demo is going to keep us happy anyway. tongue.png

I didn't see it in this section, but here's the Minimum System requirements for X-Com Enemy Unknown ::

2GHz dual-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 20GB of storage space, a DirectX-compatible sound chip and a GeForce 8600 GT or Radeon HD 2600XT with 256MB of video memory. However, the developers recommend that you play with at least a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo or 2.7GHz Athlon X2, 4GB of RAM and a GeForce 9000 or Radeon HD 3000 series graphics card with 512MB of memory.