UFO/EU Multiplayer AAR Discussion

NKF

First make sure you've upgraded to 1.4, then grab the patched .exe to fix the bug. It's a 1.4 executable so it'll want to access the same resources used by 1.4. It'll act funny otherwise.

Been wondering, what's the capacity of your laptop hard drive? Might be worth making a full hard drive installation and not have to worry about using the CD to run the game. If your copy doesn't have a hard drive install on it, we can walk you through converting the CD install into a full install if necessary. (Actually just involves copying over the files and a minor adjustment to the batch file you use to start the game).

- NKF

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ooh let's do that! I have a good enough HDD for something as old as UFO or I would've chosen a different donor lappy lol

Right now it's a real pain swapping cds though (Apoc-UFO basically!) as it's cramped up on my main computer desk right now. It's perfectly usable but only has about 50mm between the CDD and the wall so I have to lift up my sub and slide the case over every time I want to swap. It's very delicate as the screen isn't attached yet :)

Can't do anything until someone tells me how to get a proper install sorted and up to date. Just downloaded the 1.2, 1.4 and fixed exe but got no idea what to do with them on the lappy. 1.2 update seems to have worked ok but the 1.4 isn't an update, it's just a bundle of files. What's that all about?

I'm ready for the next mission but if I can't get the game working it's never going to happen I'm afraid :s

You just overwrite the old files with the new ones in the 1.4 bundle. Then grab the fix I posted.

To create the full install, just copy over the directories that aren't on the hard drive copy. Actually, do that before adding the 1.4 files.

Geodata, Geograph, Maps, Routes, Runexe, Sound, Terrain, Ufo2exe, Ufoexe, Ufograph, Ufointro and Units are the ones you need to make sure are on the hard drive install.

Just going off memory here, your next step is to deal with the batch file that runs the game. If you open up ufo.bat with a text editor, it should have a line that reads: ufocd d:\ or similar.

What I'd do is delete ufo.bat (or just rename it something else to be on the safe side) and rename ufocd.bat to ufo.bat.

Just to be sure, the new ufo.bat should contain the following lines:

@echo off
cls
%1ufoexe\black
%1sound\sndstart
%1intro				%1
%1ufoexe\black
%1ufoexe\geoscape  "0" %1
if errorlevel 2 goto begin
goto end
:begin
%1ufoexe\black
%1ufo2exe\tactical "1" %1
:geo
%1ufoexe\black
%1ufoexe\geoscape  "1" %1
if errorlevel 2 goto begin
:end
%1sound\sndend

Or, I suppose you could just copy and paste that and save the file as ufo.bat. Which ever is easiest for you! If all goes well, it'll no longer need to access the CD to run the game.

- NKF

Dude this is complete nonsense... It shouldn't be so difficult to update such an old simple game but it really is! I did the 1.2 update yesterday and I've gone back today and replaced the older files with all the 1.4 ones. But what's the deal with the patched Geoscape.exe? How can I replace the old one with it if my game doesn't have an old one :s

Then onto the bat thing... it's called dcufo.bat or something like that and I changed it prior to the 1.4 update which worked but the update replaces it so I deleted the renamed files. Now the new bat files are completely different with LOADS more text in than the old ones...

I got the diffchanger thing so I'm going to use that to play my mission but this is just a joke :s

Geoscape.exe is stored in the ufoexe\ directory.

The batch file may differ from version to version but the contents of the batch file that I copy and pasted will run 1.4 after you've patched everything.

The new stuttering may be caused because the new sound files are sampled at a different rate from the previous version. Run the game's sound setup and re-set your sound card.

- NKF

We keep blowing up the power units in the UFOs, which dents the alien forces a bit. We're being consistent in this - we've yet to collect one intact, something I'd've expected to see happen by the end of the first couple of missions!! Luckily we don't need great numbers of the things.

But yeah, all the numbers look about right to me.

And most of the ships we've been facing so far have been small fry. The terror sites however have been showing numbers that seem normal for the difficulty level.

For those also playing in the TFTD game as well, it's worth pointing out that the TFTD Superhuman difficulty level multiplier is 2 points higher than UFO's, so we'll probably not have as many foes compared to what we've become accustomed to.

The Veteran, you should be able to in line your savegames as well. Just finding it amusing how Rapidshare is not very rapid at all. :) Mind it gets the job done.

I'm taking the next swing. It's a bit early and funds are not very high as yet, but it might be a good idea to start thinking about where we're going to build our secondary Assault Base for the cannon nuts, where it's cannons 24/7. Any preferences? Canada? Brazil? Australia?

- NKF

Went ahead and did one close to the US/Mexican border and a listening post near Beijing. The loot was enough to cover the start of both.

Not to snub this series of easy missions so far, but I'm actually yearning for something bigger to attack - feels like overkill at the moment. I wonder if that brief drop into beginner difficulty resulted in the scheduling of all these medium scouts we've been seeing?

- NKF

Finished my turn and posted :), got some eleriumssssss. Just had a look at the troops after battle, Franz is the daddy of the squad with 8 missions under his belt.

Would someone post a ss of the proposed layout of the bases, im not good at picking what needs to be built and where :).

Good luck for th next mission :)

Good work dude, we finally have that power source to research :)

The V.Small and Small UFOs are Small, Mudium and Large Scouts respectively. You just dealt with a large scout, we've also had a bunch of mediums. I believe BombBloke did a small scout but it's pretty rare to have them as any engagement tends to destroy them.

The only specifics for the base designs I had in mind was for the main base in case it's attacked. The idea is set up a long firing corridor into one of the hangars then isolate the access lift from the main base by removing the module that connects it to the base.

Only problem at the moment is the large radar module since it breaks the sniping corridor into the hangar. See the level 0 layout to see what I mean:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Large_Radar_System

So now it's a tossup between moving the large radar or moving the choke point to the other side of the base at the slot at row 3 column 5.

The second assault base only needs enough facilities to house and arm an assault squad and an interceptor. Forget what module I built off the access lift, but it might be worth expanding from there - otherwise build any way you like.

- NKF

It should still be downloadable from the previous mission mate, we really need to get everyones vote on how to proceed first though. Me and Lysear are ready to carry on and SV doesn't count, sorry dude lol Need to hear from BB, NKF and of course what you think too. I'm guessing you're for replaying so we need to know what the others think :)