UFO/EU Multiplayer AAR Discussion

NKF

Much as I'd like to redo the base mission, I think we should first attempt to see if we can salvage what we've got. Even if it means skipping UFOs and getting a bad rating this month (we've been doing great so far, so we should be safe with one bad month).

Are there enough funds to add an armed Interceptor, Skyranger and a crew to the second assault base? We can ignore building research facilities for now and we can also hold off on the manufacture for a few missions to raise the funds to support them. Fort Cannon's advantage (or disadvantage?) is that it's all cannons so no manufacturing is needed for weapons.

Expand off the hangars if you need to build faster.

- NKF

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That means a bit of a score hit, yes, but in actual real-world gameplay time it won't take long to start battling again.

I'm kinda leaning towards continuing as well, if only so we can say that we did. :)

Regardless as to whether we decide to use a different mission result, it's not going to cause any harm for anyone to replay it anyways. :)

GAME_2.rar

Just had a quick play of the mission. Funds seem sufficient - we've got the end-of-month pay that'll help out too. Built both types of radars off the hangars and stuck a few essential facilities in. Had a working Skyranger and re-arming interceptor with assault team ready with autocannons the first couple of days into April, but no radar coverage except the one over Siberia. Missed a couple of UFOs and the ones appearing in the new month might give us a run for our money (compard to what we've had).

Seems we'll do fine. Let's go for it.

What do we do now though? Re-establish HQ or make the US base the new headquarters?

- NKF

I suggest we set Fort Cannon as the new main base and work towards re-establishing HQ in the future as a secondary pistol base. Consider it a simple job-swap!

Priorities must be to order new craft and combat personnel, get everyone armed and have whatever vehicles are available to us patrol areas of high activity until radar facilities are back on line.

We can totally do this, silencer, you're up :)

I've played my part. It is very hard now - most UFO sightings are in Europe. Got terror mission that I had to abort - sorry - sectoids + rookies + HE-Autos = fail.

I abort and did some testing further - I think it would require 5 man to kill 1 cyberdisc - and what if you spot 3 of them ? They laugh at HE rounds, and at this stage having AP-rounds is mostly like not having a gun at all.

1 Rocket luncher would be nice though.

Also there is a base in Iraq ?

Nice :) Going well so far then lol

Don't worry about having to abort mate, it's unavoidable at this point. Besides wasn't it you who wanted cannons in the first place? If cyberdisks need 5 men to take them out then we'll just use 5 men to take them out, easy! If it's an unwinnable situation like the terror mission then there's no shame in aborting at this point but that doesn't mean we should give up.

I'd say upload what you've done as you normally would and lets keep going until we get things back on track. We can do it!!!

I like autos - but first mission a sectoid terror ? No chance - I would stand my ground if it was floaters.

I replayed the base defence mission - peace of cake - made 2 mistakes that caused 6 lives... but all in all - this mission was a breeze

post-7842-1301219946_thumb.png

GAME_2.rar

Also I thought that aliens must see someone in order to take control of whole team - but in some cases they controled unit out of thin air. Do they know last postion of controled unit ?

silencer_pl: don't blame you for aborting - Cyberdiscs and Autocannon HE rounds are a bad combo. We need AP rounds, particularly Heavy Cannon AP rounds for a fighting chance. Note that you can also buy a cannon tank if you need to - they're probably our best weapon against them even if they can't shoot straight.

If that base you spotted is a sectoid base, then we might be in luck, and should probably push for restoring the old HQ (say build it next door) and at least get a radar and a Skyranger team set up. There's only one leader on supply ships, and its predictably in the bridge at the start of the mission.

edit:

Ah - I mean once things settle down a bit and we're back to business as usual. :)

- NKF

Also I thought that aliens must see someone in order to take control of whole team - but in some cases they controled unit out of thin air. Do they know last postion of controled unit ?

The specific rules go like this:

Each unit has a counter that goes up by one each turn (starts at something like 230). If a unit is "noticed" by aliens, then the counter resets to 0. So long as the counter is less then the "intelligence" stat of any given alien (which ranges from something like 3-8 to memory), that alien will have knowledge as to the locations of your whole side.

To be "noticed" by aliens, a unit must either be spotted during the enemy's turn, or land an attack on an enemy that fails to kill it.

For example, if you walk in front of an alien during your turn: no problem. Cause the alien to use reaction shots against you? Again, no problem. Attack it and kill it outright? Still not noticed. But if you use an auto-fire attack on an alien, all shots connect but only the last one kills it, then that trooper will count as "noticed" - doesn't matter about the range the attack came from or whether the alien is facing the attacker. Ditto for any other situation where an attack connects but doesn't kill.

Now consider how often you get a one-shot kill out of a Cyberdisc. :)

After the twentieth turn in a given battle, all trooper's counters reset to 0 and stay there. It seems this can happen earlier in TFTD (as in "first turn" earlier), but I haven't sat down and worked out the specifics yet - I think it has something to do as to how long the campaign has been running for.

I'm unsure if a trooper's counter resets to 0 when coming out of mind control. Haven't checked. Often, solitary mind controlled units will be made to move towards alien forces, where they eventually get shot.

I've actually got the cannon tank on this mision, hence I'm giving it a go :) Had all but 2 troopers drop their weapons but I can't recall what sort of access the aliens have to our inventories. Can they pick up the guns again? I thought they couldn't so hopefully we'll be safe from friendly HE fire and the whole 'head towards enemy guns' scenario can't exist either i they're jammed in the ranger.

I'm just about to reload and continue playing so feel free to let me know if the aliens can pick up guns again and I'll move them to the front :)

You know, it's a funny thing, there was going to be a 'pick up' ability in this game (confirmed by Volutar on the wiki) but it was disabled. Think it might've been left out since it can be abused by the player to force aliens to run for equipment since it makes them abject kleptomaniacs. But that would've been a fun way to play - throw something valuable, then watch in glee as aliens run to it (we can then pretend they're fighting over it).

I know you're probably not going to do this, but don't carry any spare autocannons and heavy cannons in your backpacks. :)

- NKF

They can't pick up however they can swap items, we need to cheat on that.

Good work - strange that you have 0 points for loosing HWP. Was it realy called TANK in UFO ?

In TFTD it is called X-com heavy platform and we did lose point on that.

I guess you are the first to open 'I lost the Tank' club.

Great damage control - it could've been much worse and the loot (I hope there is some) will offset the losses a bit. Our Australasian money-lords won't be too impressed though.

All-cannons can work but we're not getting any Schwarzenegger's in our new recruit lineup like we seemed to be getting in TFTD.

My turn up next. I'm going to buy us some Heavy Cannons. Also I'm promoting Stefan to the new exalted rank of Psi Sponge. :)

- NKF

I am indeed, just like in the TFTD one haha. And yeah that is wierd, it should've been a negative score for losing a tank, -40 I think or something like that? Won't complain though, it's a bad enough score as it was! Stupid civilians should head for the Ranger as soon as it arrives if you ask me!

The specific rules go like this:

Each unit has a counter that goes up by one each turn (starts at something like 230). If a unit is "noticed" by aliens, then the counter resets to 0. So long as the counter is less then the "intelligence" stat of any given alien (which ranges from something like 3-8 to memory), that alien will have knowledge as to the locations of your whole side.

To be "noticed" by aliens, a unit must either be spotted during the enemy's turn, or land an attack on an enemy that fails to kill it.

For example, if you walk in front of an alien during your turn: no problem. Cause the alien to use reaction shots against you? Again, no problem. Attack it and kill it outright? Still not noticed. But if you use an auto-fire attack on an alien, all shots connect but only the last one kills it, then that trooper will count as "noticed" - doesn't matter about the range the attack came from or whether the alien is facing the attacker. Ditto for any other situation where an attack connects but doesn't kill.

Now consider how often you get a one-shot kill out of a Cyberdisc. :)

After the twentieth turn in a given battle, all trooper's counters reset to 0 and stay there. It seems this can happen earlier in TFTD (as in "first turn" earlier), but I haven't sat down and worked out the specifics yet - I think it has something to do as to how long the campaign has been running for.

I'm unsure if a trooper's counter resets to 0 when coming out of mind control. Haven't checked. Often, solitary mind controlled units will be made to move towards alien forces, where they eventually get shot.

Wait.

I thought someone did some poking around last year that forced some major philosophical revisions, vis a vis LOS rules.

Something about not being able to see all the guys just for seeing one of them.

Of course, my memory could be off.

I don't think it's your fault NKF, I hate these cannons... Why on earth would anyone in their right mind go up against heavy plasmas and terror units with nothing but the most basic weapons from the start of the game? This is just my personal opinion but I don't think we stand a snowballs chance in hell if we keep using these weapons...

My mistake was more on the management side than the weapons. Part of getting getting accustomed to the weapon set.

The cannons are good to a fault - they're mainly useful against regular enemies and their performance starts to improve once we get better armour and troops start to survive more missions. The flying suit in particular will make a vast improvement in hitting ground targets.

Cyberdiscs, as you've noted, are quite tough to take down with cannons, heavy or auto, AP or HE. The tank fares well, but its getting it to survive long enough that's tough.

Sectopods on the other hand will be impossible - we'll need to avoid them or go with a rocket launcher base. Alternately lots of high explosives if using the pistol/grenade base.

- NKF