Interesting articles

• 4 weeks later...
I am pleased to announce that today marks the beginning of the implementation phase of the Copyright Alert System (CAS). Implementation marks the culmination of many months of work on this groundbreaking and collaborative effort to curb online piracy and promote the lawful use of digital music, movies and TV shows.

Looks like it's official and really going ahead now...

::

[source]

quote="Starting next week, most U.S. Internet users will be subject to a new copyright enforcement system that could slow the Internet to a crawl and force violators to take educational courses."

what.gif

[source]

Hasn't slowed me down one little bit, nor anyone I talked to. But it shouldn't really. If a pirate blatantly (and repeatedly) violate copyrights, then his/her speed may be reduced - but everyone else is unaffected.

The CAS, designed as an "educational" service to combat casual piracy in the U.S., has been criticized as designed purely for corporate interests, at the expense of the average Internet user. While it doesn't require ISPs to cut off Internet access to repeat pirates—as is the case in France and New Zealand—it will issue escalating punishments to suspected pirates, severely reducing their connection speeds after five or six offenses.

So no, Dr. Doom & Gloom. It's not a big deal. tongue.png

- Zombie

Yes, it is. They are openly admitting to be tracking your internet traffic, probably at all times. That seems like a rather big deal to me. What is worse is that if a counter is found - like encrypted p2p or something - providers may take action simply because they can not track the traffic. Going against the idea of the US court ruling which declined a ban of p2p.

I think this is a two-pronged argument.

The "big deal" (or lack thereof) I was referring to was the internet slowdown. They could track me all day long and it wouldn't bother me a bit since I'm not a pirate and do not participate in those types of activities. *shrugs*dntknw.gif

I'll agree though that monitoring/tracking internet traffic is a loss of privacy and privacy is a right (at least in some countries) which should be protected. I mean, it all depends how stringent the filters are though. How far do you go? Say you view a video on YouTube which is copyrighted. Is it my fault for watching it, the posters fault for posting it, or YouTube's fault for allowing it to be uploaded in the first place? If you go after the viewers, it doesn't remove the problem, just creates more "criminals" (this is called baiting). Going after the poster and/or YouTube would be more beneficial as it stops the flow completely.

Tangent: police use this all the time to catch "johns" who are soliciting prostitutes for sex, but does it reduce criminals?. Not one bit, as the bait is always there drawing in more "johns". What should be done is to target the prostitutes themselves and even the "pimps"/brothels/bordellos. This is only for countries that criminalize prostitution. In countries where it is protected as a profession, you cannot criminalize the solicitors as the government is allowing the brothels/bordellos to legally operate.

That said, for those of us who do not participate in piracy, the act of internet monitoring has little to no bearing as there is nothing to hide. Even if you do, for the first few times all you'll get is basically a slap on the wrist and a video to watch. It's only after you've been caught multiple times do you start to get slowed down. And if you stop the activities, full internet speed gets restored. There are also ways to file a grievance/complaint if you feel you are being wrongfully targeted which will be looked at and (hopefully) acted upon.

And I'm sure there are probably ways around getting caught. Could use one of those anonymous IP randomizers, as the monitoring software wouldn't be able to track back to your ISP. ;)

- Zombie

Here's some more food for thought: false positves seem to have started to get the 'royal' treatment... what.gif

Now this I have an issue with. If all they are doing to target suspected pirates is to just look at file names and not the content within those files, then they are doing it wrong. I was under the impression they were using a more sophisticated analyzer to determine if a file contains copyrighted material. mad.gif

Guess not.

- Zombie

The thing you are forgetting here, Zombie, is that these so-called "people" can't be bothered to give a microbe's ass about something as inconsequential as a "false positive".

Where, in their entire history of existance, have they shown anything even remotely ethical? Or "fair"?

Where, in their entire history of existance, have they shown anything even remotely ethical? Or "fair"?

Dunno. How long have "they" been in existence? ~1 year? Yup, that has history written all over it. tongue.png

- Zombie

Dunno. How long have "they" been in existence? ~1 year? Yup, that has history written all over it. tongue.png

- Zombie

I was referring to the ones who act on the reports. Namely, the RIAA and MPAA, who have been around for decades.

So yes, plenty of history there.

Didn't quite know where to put this one, and just to give you guys a heads-up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6br7NreTwD4

It has been announced that Google's special 'glasses' are hitting stores by the end of 2013 too. So the convergence of these developments should be interesting.

Always-on augmented reality really is on the way...

For as long as there has been work, people have been protesting about their working lives through songs, stories, jokes. It seems probable that Gallant lost his job because the media took note of his work, and they took note of his work specifically because it's a video game.

An article worth reading about how making games that say something can get you in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...