XcomUtil 9.7 Beta

BladeFireLight

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Build 384

Lots of bug fixes. Hybrid now working, Fixed issues with auto combat and combining clips.

• Fix Hybrid Implementation
  • Auto Combat will not run on second half of two part using first parts saved data.
  • Auto Combat will no longer run if combat was won.
  • MIA Recovery on won combat only
  • Auto equip no longer triggers on second part of 2 stage missions.
  • Add skip of combine clips if between stages of 2-3 part missions.
  • Lost of debug info to in XcomUtil.log
  • Add Headers to XcomUtil.log section brakes.
  • XcomUtil's Apply action now in debug.txt
  • Update and move f0dders read me per his request.
  • Fixed typo stopping Lab PSI/MC Screen from working.
  • Fix Infinite loop when not splitting EXE
  • Fix nonexistent %no% variable
  • Limit STDERR redirection to MS OS's

-Blade FireLight

Having a fair bit of trouble with the hybrid game feature. Trying to integrate TFTD CE into UFO CE, using XP Pro SP2, XCU beta-384. I know this is a bit long-winded, and much of it probably my own fault, but I've tried to space it out into separate points.

First off, I tried to use it with the recoloured sprites my toolpack generates (where all the terrain images files are redrawn using the other game's palette). To generate these, you run the generator from one game folder, and point it at the path of the other. The first game will gain a sub-folder called "hybrid", in which all the altered graphics from the other end up.

With 9.6, all you need to do then is run:

xcusetup hybrid

And it'll pull all the required terrain data from there.

With the latest beta, typing "xcusetup hybrid" causes it to act like you didn't enter a path to the "donor" game at all. Eventually gave in and pointed it at a "real" TFTD install.

First it restored some backups (creating a 0kb "planebak.mcd" in the terrain folder), then it tried to create some fresh backups as part of the hybrid install procedure. This "failed" and dumped me back at the command prompt. After reading through the batch files for a while, I eventually got it to work by deleting the 0kb file between the time the setup script first made it (during the "restore" process) but before it tried to make it again (during the hybrid backup process).

Had to run xcusetup again to get it to go through the rest of the setup process.

Got into the game, started a mission. Was prompted for terrain/light levels, then got a "terrain table not found" error and the mission started without asking what UFO to go up against.

The map was entirely made up of weird light blue tiles, with the exception of a supply ship (that being the type that actually go shot down), which was purple. Now, this is probably something entirely my fault, but I'll outline it to be on the safe side:

Tried this with a few different TFTD maps, same result. The interface, X-COM dropship, and all units/items were correctly coloured.

shot0019.gif

Then I tried selecting some UFO maps. Some did the exact same thing. Others loaded the correct tiles, but even if I loaded a previously made save game, the palette would always be completely wrecked.

shot0020.gif

Also couldn't seem to work out how to un/re-install the hybrid files (not that I don't make a separate copy of my entire game folder for tests like these, so it doesn't inconvenience me).

Ok, so I guess XCU is now trying to do the recolouring itself, as a new undocumented feature? Or... is it all just some entirely coincidental bug? I'm not entirely sure. In all honesty I think I've managed to corrupt it myself, probably by trying to make a hybrid game out of my combomod. If you can tell me whether XCU is supposed to be playing with the colours or not, that's all I'll need to know to be sure. :)

There's apparently a line somewhere in the scripts that reads "echo-----------Leaving" (as opposed to "echo ------Leaving" with a space in it). I see an error message about it whenever the tactical engine quits.

Tried the whole thing over from scratch, with fresh UFO/TFTD setups. The installer worked ok the second time around (without complaints about backups), and EU missions were now correctly coloured. Couldn't get any TFTD maps to start though, got the "too many mapcodes" error (still attempting to land next to a supply ship, still not getting prompted what ship I wanted to see on the actual map) in addition to XCU's "terrain table not found" error. So then I couldn't see how the TFTD maps came out at all.

Landing in an X-Com base made it impossible to move out of the map modules that contained the dropship. All the other modules were cut off. I'd expect the base disjoint fix to have dealt with that (I did opt to use it during setup, and I'm pretty sure the BFG stated it'd force it on regardless), but apparently that's not the case?

So is XCU trying to recolour the maps, or isn't it? I'm completely confused. If it isn't, then I feel my hybrid graphics generator should be supported. Arrogant as I'm sure this sounds, I just don't see any point to using the hybrid game without it. If XCU is trying to handle the matter of colours, then that's not so much of a problem, but I can't get it working "right" in order to tell which is the case...

... And on to something completely different. I was wondering if you could integrate my "BBMod" (included in my toolkit) into XCU? The process would go something like this:

During XCUsetup, if "bbreset.exe" is detected in the game folder (any version of ufo/tftd, doesn't matter, just so long as that file is there and a split executable setup is available), prompt the user about whether they want to use the mod with XCU.

If they say yes, then "RunXcom.bat" would need to call "bbreset.exe" with a random parameter (eg "bbreset /randomparameter") directly before the tactical engine starts, and without a parameter if the user quits the game completely (as per the "bbmod.bat" file in my toolkit).

I see there's a conflict between the extra module XCU adds to bases (I guess so the BFG has somewhere to put dropships/UFOs?) and my hangar mod. Guess I'll have to fix that.

First off, I tried to use it with the recoloured sprites my toolpack generates (where all the terrain images files are redrawn using the other game's palette). To generate these, you run the generator from one game folder, and point it at the path of the other. The first game will gain a sub-folder called "hybrid", in which all the altered graphics from the other end up.

With 9.6, all you need to do then is run:

xcusetup hybrid

And it'll pull all the required terrain data from there.

With the latest beta, typing "xcusetup hybrid" causes it to act like you didn't enter a path to the "donor" game at all. Eventually gave in and pointed it at a "real" TFTD install.

XcomUtil does it's own pallet conversion on the PCK files. it would overwrite your files. If you want to do a a manual install place the map, route and terrain files in the right places and create the XcomUtil\flags\hybrdpth.xcu file, then run Xcusetup and hybrid will be configured.

The path for hybrid games is checked useing "if exist %1\geodata\obdata.dat" so if that file existed in your hybrid directory it would also detect and copy the maps, but as I said before XcomUtil will do it's own color conversion over the top of yours using the pallet in XcomUtil.cfg

First it restored some backups (creating a 0kb "planebak.mcd" in the terrain folder), then it tried to create some fresh backups as part of the hybrid install procedure. This "failed" and dumped me back at the command prompt. After reading through the batch files for a while, I eventually got it to work by deleting the 0kb file between the time the setup script first made it (during the "restore" process) but before it tried to make it again (during the hybrid backup process).

Had to run xcusetup again to get it to go through the rest of the setup process.

so Line 10 in hybrid.bat

if not exist terrain\planebak.mcd copy /y terrain\plane.mcd terrain\planebak.mcd

is creating an empty file for you?

Got into the game, started a mission. Was prompted for terrain/light levels, then got a "terrain table not found" error and the mission started without asking what UFO to go up against.

The map was entirely made up of weird light blue tiles, with the exception of a supply ship (that being the type that actually go shot down), which was purple. Now, this is probably something entirely my fault, but I'll outline it to be on the safe side:

Tried this with a few different TFTD maps, same result. The interface, X-COM dropship, and all units/items were correctly coloured.

post-152-1266998166_thumb.png

Then I tried selecting some UFO maps. Some did the exact same thing. Others loaded the correct tiles, but even if I loaded a previously made save game, the palette would always be completely wrecked.

post-152-1266998483_thumb.png

Also couldn't seem to work out how to un/re-install the hybrid files (not that I don't make a separate copy of my entire game folder for tests like these, so it doesn't inconvenience me).

Ok, so I guess XCU is now trying to do the recolouring itself, as a new undocumented feature? Or... is it all just some entirely coincidental bug? I'm not entirely sure. In all honesty I think I've managed to corrupt it myself, probably by trying to make a hybrid game out of my combomod. If you can tell me whether XCU is supposed to be playing with the colours or not, that's all I'll need to know to be sure. :)

XcomUtil should only change the colors of terrain files being imported. Now I have only tested Hybrid on TFTD so I will look to see if it has this issue going both ways.

Now that I think of it, if you go hybrid one way and then use that game as the sorce to go the other way it probably would have an effect like what you show above. I may have to hard code in the terrain file's that are copied instead of *.*.

There's apparently a line somewhere in the scripts that reads "echo-----------Leaving" (as opposed to "echo ------Leaving" with a space in it). I see an error message about it whenever the tactical engine quits.

Thanks This will be fixed.

Tried the whole thing over from scratch, with fresh UFO/TFTD setups. The installer worked ok the second time around (without complaints about backups), and EU missions were now correctly coloured. Couldn't get any TFTD maps to start though, got the "too many mapcodes" error (still attempting to land next to a supply ship, still not getting prompted what ship I wanted to see on the actual map) in addition to XCU's "terrain table not found" error. So then I couldn't see how the TFTD maps came out at all.

Landing in an X-Com base made it impossible to move out of the map modules that contained the dropship. All the other modules were cut off. I'd expect the base disjoint fix to have dealt with that (I did opt to use it during setup, and I'm pretty sure the BFG stated it'd force it on regardless), but apparently that's not the case?

It should have been forced on for this reason. I will look into that.

So is XCU trying to recolour the maps, or isn't it? I'm completely confused. If it isn't, then I feel my hybrid graphics generator should be supported. Arrogant as I'm sure this sounds, I just don't see any point to using the hybrid game without it. If XCU is trying to handle the matter of colours, then that's not so much of a problem, but I can't get it working "right" in order to tell which is the case...

UFO maps in TFTD are colored just fine by XCU while I was testing. XcomUtil uses the backup of the file to use as a baseline. if it does not exist colors are not changed. Take a look at the pallet in XcomUtil.cfg it's it's an array look up table

PCKOffest[ i ] = PalletTable[ pixcel [ i ] ]

... And on to something completely different. I was wondering if you could integrate my "BBMod" (included in my toolkit) into XCU? The process would go something like this:

During XCUsetup, if "bbreset.exe" is detected in the game folder (any version of ufo/tftd, doesn't matter, just so long as that file is there and a split executable setup is available), prompt the user about whether they want to use the mod with XCU.

If they say yes, then "RunXcom.bat" would need to call "bbreset.exe" with a random parameter (eg "bbreset /randomparameter") directly before the tactical engine starts, and without a parameter if the user quits the game completely (as per the "bbmod.bat" file in my toolkit).

I have a few Ideas on how to do this. PM or Google Talk me and we can talk about it.

I see there's a conflict between the extra module XCU adds to bases (I guess so the BFG has somewhere to put dropships/UFOs?) and my hangar mod. Guess I'll have to fix that.

I have never used your program so I dont know hat your talking about.

so Line 10 in hybrid.bat

if not exist terrain\planebak.mcd copy /y terrain\plane.mcd terrain\planebak.mcd

is creating an empty file for you?

No, that's where it fails if an empty file exists.

When you try to run setup, it first tries to restore backups. For some reason it was trying to access the "planebak.mcd" file at that point. If it does this, and the file doesn't exist, THEN it'll create the empty file.

Afterwards, the hybrid section of the script starts, and tries to create another copy. Setup will then fail.

I don't know why it was trying to restore a backup that didn't exist. It doesn't do it with a fresh install.

However, I've found you can reproduce the script failure by creating an empty file of that name yourself, then run setup with the hybrid path parameter. Presumably, it decides it doesn't need to run the copy command in line 10 (since the file already exists), and so the error code isn't correctly set for line 11.

I guess a quick'n'dirty solution would be to make the backup regardless of whether one "exists" already or not. Or have the backup restoration process wipe out the "backup" files when it's done. Alternatively, it may be that you can get away with assuming the backup restoration script'll work correctly for everyone else, and no prior backup files will be cluttering up their installs.

UFO maps in TFTD are colored just fine by XCU while I was testing. XcomUtil uses the backup of the file to use as a baseline. if it does not exist colors are not changed. Take a look at the pallet in XcomUtil.cfg it's it's an array look up table

PCKOffest[ i ] = PalletTable[ pixcel [ i ] ]

Ah, I see a "PalMap" in there for both UFO and TFTD. I assume that's it.

Odd though. Those also exist in 9.6, which I know doesn't do any recolouring. Hmm. I'm guessing Scott coded the feature in, broke it at some stage, and you've since rediscovered + fixed it? The wording in the manual was never really very clear to me - it made it sound like he did it, but, well, when you got into the game it clearly wasn't happening. Hence why I wrote my own separate converter in the first place (because NKF asked you to do it and I thought it'd be fun).

So! Figured I'd try running the hybrid thing with TFTD instead of UFO. No luck there either. When running UFO maps, it'll either give the "terrain table not found" error (then load up whatever map I originally would've seen without using the BFG at all), or the tactical engine starts and throws a "too many mapcodes" error.

Not sure what to make of that. All X-Com craft in TFTD use similar MCD index counts (typically far lower then in UFO), and all USOs use the exact same MCD files, so most UFO maps are compatible. And yet it still complains that the table's overflowing.

The terrain selector is a little bit weird, too. Both option E and option Q are labeled "Alien Base". I guess the first one is TFTD's base and the second is UFO's, but that could be made a little more clear to non-X-Com freaks.

Can't work out what option G is supposed to be, though. That's just labeled "Level". I think it's supposed to be the second stage of T'Leth (judging by it's position in the list), but I get the mapcodes error if I try to use it, so I'm not really sure.

I have never used your program so I dont know hat your talking about.

Just thinking out loud about the X-Com base module XCU adds (21). Don't worry about it.

Using unmodified TFTD 2.1 and X-COM:UFO 1.4 I successfully played all maps under UFO 1.4 in DosBox 0.72. I will be testing with UFO:CE and TFTD Dos/win latter tonight. I did notice some issues with cross pollinating both games at the same time. For Now I am adding a check to avoid re-copying back terrain files with the modified pallet. I have an idea how to avoid this. But want to verify this works first.

-Blade FireLight

Build 413

Fixed Hybrid and Prompted BFG on Windows EXE's. Hybrid now uses Boom Blokes Pallet conversion. (removes lighting artifacts) "XcomUtil uninstall" now removes the hybrid game maps and terrain. Updated the Vista/Win7 patch. Recommend applying if you get odd colors that only go away with a reboot or playing a video in Media Player. Created new Add-on ability to allow others to plug-in to XcuSetup and RunXcom.

• Add-on support added. see XcomUtil\XcomUtil.txt and XcomUtil\Addon\Example.txt
  • Restore and Backup ran second time on Hybrid games to resolve issues with cross pollination
  • Update Vista/Win7 Patch to address alt + tab color issues. (restores color pallet on next start of Goescape or Tactical. Does not stop the corrupt pallet)
  • Create windows flag file to force XcomUtil to update windows EXE when playing Xcom Windows
  • Better UFO Hybrid integration and uninstall of copied files.
  • Bomb Bloke's Hybrid Pallet Map
  • command line option for config file now searches %CWD%\, %CWD%\XcomUtil\ and %CWD%\XcomUtil\Batch\
  • Hybrid path detection change to look for \maps\ATLAN00.map OR %1\maps\URBAN00.map
  • Move XcomUtRt and LastOp to sub-folders older LastOp moved if it exists.
  • All Flags moved to the flags folder.
  • If debug.txt exists zero out file (deletion caused problems with WinTail)
  • uninstall a few missed files.
  • Fix debug log of config flags.
  • Fix echo------ error in RunXcom.bat

-Blade FireLight

Build 422

• Fixed unit placing where units were placed outside of sub or inside of tanks.
  • Fixed Display of Starting Transport and Fighter names for TFTD
  • Updated addon example.txt to streamline and clarify a few things.
  • Switched to Bomb Bloke updated Color Pallet
  • Units who bleed to death no longer rise from the grave. (unless they die the same turn as you kill the last alien)
  • Units under mind control when the last alien dies are no longer MIA.
  • Fix messed up goto in Line 8 used for addons (Was causing exit of RunXcom)
  • Fix RME error

-Blade FireLight

• 2 weeks later...

Build 435

Original Sound Effects from UFO were re-sampled to work with 1.4 and CE.

• Add Category to option headers.
  • Improve randomness by using current time instead of game date/time in srand()
  • Added Option to keep Current terrain/UFO to BFG.
  • Original UFO 1.2 Sounds for Geoscape and Tactical added as an option for UFO 1.4 and CE.
  • Force Split EXE on STEAM. Fixes issues with setup failing.
  • Reset Laser/Gauss craft weapons stats to be default.
  • Example addon now uses different flag extension to avoid deletion by XcuSetup
  • fix issue with Lab Screen on DosBox always screening

-Blade FireLight

I wanted to mention something; I decieded to give EU a try yesterday, and downloaded build 422 of XcomeUtil.

During the setup, it mentioned that Vista-installs still had issues with interceptions. While I didn't play much more than an hour or so, I noticed two things:

1) I had no problems shooting down two different UFOs, running Vista Home. I reloaded a time or two due to stupid equipment loading (Lol got the arrows backwards), and still managed to shoot them down AGAIN for a total of four seperate intercepts. Just lucky?

2) I've also noticed an annoying bug (Besides my mouse leaning to the right) wherein I seem unable to sack any of my starting soldiers yet? I mean I'm all for making the best out of what you've got; but I'd like to replace mr 20 bravery....

Are you only using XcomUtil or are you also using seb's Extender or some other mod?

The interception has to do with the speed of the computer. If you geoscape is running supper fast like it does for most people then the delay in rendering the zoom at the start of combat will take so long the UFO outruns you before it's displayed. If your computer is "vista capable" but only getting system scores of 1. instead of 3.5 or something then you may not see this issue. Other mods also may fix this. I had the problem with out slowing the CPU down on my dual core 4800+ on Vista. but when I upgraded to 7 I also got a Phenom II 940. so for all I know windows 7 on a mid range computer will still have the problem.

Ahh, I forgot to mention; this is a Steam install. It's running DosBox 7.2, so that may have something to do with the speed thing? I AM running Vista Home though (scores of about 4.5-5.0). I could grab a full tech report if you wanted.

As far as any other mods, I'm only use XcomUtil. Nothing but the vanallia install and then build 422 of 9.7

A couple other things I've noticed, not sure if they'd have anything to do with Util but figured I'd mention them:

I've noticed that the 'psionic screening after combat' thing in Util doesn't seem to be working quite right. That is, I choose to enable it /after/ psilabs were built. However I realized a couple weeks of game time later (when some more recruits showup) that my troops are actually showing their strength NOW, without a psilab. The skill is only 1, but the Psi-Strength stat seems to be working okay; if early. (PS 93 on a rookie, WOOO)

I've also discovered an annoying little bug: If your stores are near/at capacity, it will let you take something OUT of Stores and put it onto a craft(Skyranger in my case), but you can't put it BACK. This poses a problem when yer trying to organize yer loadout, hit the 80 item limit, but can't remove anything from the craft. D:

Steam has both so the options include both. the Steam Launcher loads DOS.

Lab Screen should be fixed in 435.

The store capacity has always been there. all loot from combat is added even if it overflows your stores so you frequently can run into this.

I think the Xcom SOP is like this: If it cant fit in the storage unit and it came from a mission then stuff it in the halls and under the beds. But if if you try to purchase something or unload it from the skyranger beware of Erl down in inventory control he can be grumpy.

Ahh, I forgot to mention; this is a Steam install. It's running DosBox 7.2, so that may have something to do with the speed thing? I AM running Vista Home though (scores of about 4.5-5.0). I could grab a full tech report if you wanted.

DOSBox takes the place of your operating system. The interception thing should only apply when running under Vista itself (eg, with the CE version of the game).

Seems I may have the same CPU as Blade (AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz), though I'm running XP and haven't seen the issue occur. I was thinking it might have something to do with hyperthreading or the dual-core thing - in which case it should be possible to tell the process to only use one.

(Eg, Task Manager, right click process, "Select Affinity..." and set it to use a single CPU).

The skill is only 1, but the Psi-Strength stat seems to be working okay; if early. (PS 93 on a rookie, WOOO)

The game only shows psi stats for troopers with some level of skill, so the XcomUtil-screening process works by giving them 1 point of it. A trooper starts out with a pre-set psi-strength level that never changes (it's merely hidden from you until they get some psi-skill).

• 2 weeks later...

Build 442

• Add Batch file for Java Terrain Editor as an example for thoes that want to use it.
  • Fix BFG placement of units in Alien Base Terrain.
  • Autocombat: All units with health <= fatal wounds dies before autocombat calculates win threshold.
  • Autocombat: Fixed MIA units on WIN.

-Blade FireLight

• 3 weeks later...

Long time I wasn't here, good to see new beta versions.

I cant fix all the bugs. while it is possible to remove the hostility flag from a mind controlled civilian on a saved game. that doesn't help unless you save an exit the game. It is possible to adjust the points for killing said human on completion of combat. I'm not sure what your referring to with the other two bugs. I will look at implementing as many bug fixes as I can on the next release. I added those minor file fixes that were pre-packaged in the file sections as it was an easy thing to do.

Cool, I hope you fix so many bugs as Seb76 did.

Btw. I have some strange glitch in from 305 beta under DosBox:

https://img689.imageshack.us/img689/285/tactical000.th.png

The Elerium-115 is "above" UFO Power Source, when it should be under. I didn't have such glitch in pre-305 beta version as far I remember.

Huh? That looks right to me.

Some versions of XcomUtil's battle field generator (BFG) would move UFOs around the tactical maps without moving the Elerium as well (or perhaps all versions; I'm not sure if Blade's fixed it). In those cases you'd see Power Sources without Elerium on top of them; it would instead be found sitting in the middle of a field somewhere.

But under normal circumstances...

• 2 months later...
Run XCUSetup again, and pay close attention to what it says.

You don't have to be so vague about it, I'm a long time player of Xcom but new to using this utility. Is it possible to maybe be a little bit more helpful than that?

I've run XCUsetup again, at the end I get this:

XCOMWIN 1.0 version of game detected

Read failure on GEOSCAPE.EXE

(the rest lists what patches I've applied)

XCUSETUP.BAT has not been executed for this version of XCOMUTIL

Press any button to continue...

I've read through the text file included to try and see what I'm doing wrong but I just can't find it.

So please.... Any ideas?

Sorry, I was vague: I wanted you to check that output so's I'd have some more to go off. ;)

After that read failure, XCUSetup is likely aborting, so I guess if that's fixed then the rest will fall into place. Presumably you've got XCU stored in the same folder as your game, and full security permissions etc on that folder? Have you tried rebooting? Exactly what operating system are you using?

Haha ok, sorry I assumed you were being deliberately smug or something.. all good.

Ive installed all Util files to the same directory as my Xcom game.. And I've tried rebooting. I have the Xcom CE edition, and my OS is XP 32bit.

So yeah I can't figure it out!

By the way, my dual core processor totally murders this gem of a game.. Would a virtual PC do any good in slowing it down?

Appreciate the help!

Haha ok, sorry I assumed you were being deliberately smug or something.. all good.

Ive installed all Util files to the same directory as my Xcom game.. And I've tried rebooting. I have the Xcom CE edition, and my OS is XP 32bit.

So yeah I can't figure it out!

By the way, my dual core processor totally murders this gem of a game.. Would a virtual PC do any good in slowing it down?

Appreciate the help!

As far as speed is concerned, you should be able to choke it via dosbox.ini settings. There's a steam topic about it somewhere, probably buried. I'll do some digging after I've found breakfast and see if I can find it.