XcomUtil 9.7 Beta

BladeFireLight

As far as speed is concerned, you should be able to choke it via dosbox.ini settings. There's a steam topic about it somewhere, probably buried. I'll do some digging after I've found breakfast and see if I can find it.

Ok thanks man, but I don't use the DOS game I use the windows CE edition.. I've tried the dos version and I just can'yt enjoy it the way i do with CE.

Cheers anyway. I think I'm just going to have to pull my old PC out and dust it off to play this game again!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does "geoscape.exe" exist anywhere in your game folder? If so, try deleting it, then running XCUSetup again.

If it doesn't already exist and you still get the "can't read" error, try using the "_EXE Split.bat" from my toolkit, then run XCUSetup yet again.

UFOExtender has a "max fps" option which may help with your speed issues. I think. For me it just slows the game to 1fps (which isn't exactly fun to play). Frankly I've never been able to get the game to run "too fast" (I'm currently running 32bit XP Pro SP2, and DX describes my processor as: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz).

geoscape.exe didn't already exist so I tried using your exe spliter to no success, it opens for a split second and then nothing... I'm just not having any luck.

On a side note, I have fixed the speed issues of Xcom CE by rolling back to some pretty dated graphics drivers.

My graphics card is a GTX 260 black edition. The ONLY problem I have now is my game appears extremely "fuzzy" (not garbled) or almost out of focus in a sense.

Does anyone know of a patch or a fix to be able to alter Xcom's resolution? I've been searching absolutely high and low.

If my EXE splitter doesn't work, then you probably don't have Java installed/updated.

If you've got that and it still doesn't work, then it probably can't find your UFO executable... Which, come to think of it, may also explain why XCU is complaining. What's the game EXE called?

The only way I know of to get the game to use a different display resolution is with this hacked EXE, which increases it in order to apply a filter effect (which could also be said to make things look "fuzzy"). It furthermore applies some timer fixes.

It probably could. depends on how it interacts with the exe's. Can you give me an example of how you have it setup or link to some instructions and I can see if I can set something up.

As for renaming the EXE what was it to begin with? and what distro were you using?

In regards to the D3D windower compatibility if this was possible that would be so great. My graphics drivers play hell with Xcom and make it run way way too fast, and the only thing that slows it down to a normal speed is playing the game windowed but I also really want to be able to use your Xcomutil...

Unless you know of a way to tweak xcom to open full screen without it being affected by the graphics drivers? I know its the drivers that do it, as it used to run perfectly (only problem being the out of focus "blurry" milky type resolution) before I updated my current drivers.

Well here is the game itself if you want to look at it, I just unzip it's contents to a folder on my desktop and run it straight from there

File deleted by Pete. Please don't do that again as it's most certainly against the rules here, and is also illegal.

You really shouldn't post full copies of the game.

The reason this is having issues is f0dders loader is named as if it was the game exe. This is typical of warez copies. You would have had less issues with a copy from STEAM of D2D, they have the DOS version with DOSBox. it can run in a window or full screen with not color issues and is speed controlled.

The lack of useful documentations on D3D windower is a problem. Unless it has a way to force launch a program from the command line then it would be a pain to integrate.

Basically you have to install XcomUtil. setup D3Dwindower to point to geoscape.exe 0, geoscape.exe 1, and tactical.exe. (the numbers after .exe tell geoscape if it's being run the first time or after combat)

then change runxcom to start D3Dwindower instead of geoscape or tatical. then each time the game transitions you have to select the correct icon in the GUI. Not fun, but workable.

Hey guys, I'm a long-time player of the X-COM games (managed to comple UFO Defence/Enemy Unknown, Interceptor, Apocalypse and almost completed TFTD) but it seems Windows7 has ended my dream of completing every one. I recently started playing X-COM 1 on my friends Vista PC, which worked fine and gave me a taste for more again. The problem is, I'm running Win7, (AMD phenom 2 X4 925 2.8GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, 4GB RAM) and Xcomutil 9.7 is getting me SOOOOO close to running X-COM again, but it has 2 problems that ultimately render it unplayable. Firstly, Scroll speed and fire speed in the battlescape view is ridiculously fast, its imposibble to know where shots are coming from, or even if someone has been shot. The scroll speed generally makes it impossible to play the game as you would like. The second flaw is that initially, the graphics appear to work perfectly (OMG YES!!!) but then after about a minute or two in game everything goes very messed up, and maybe the colours invert? (i cant really tell, it really wierd) and you can't see much after this point :P. Anyone now a solution to these problems?

Ooooh and btw, BladeFireLight, you should be knighted for enabling mankind to fight back again, Good work ;)

Are you using a Dosbox'd version, Fox; or the Win version? I haven't installed UFO/TFTD on my Win7 box, yet, but Apoc runs fine. I realize Apoc doesn't use Util though, so I'll see if I can get UFO running or not. If you're running the dosbox version, have you tried messing with the .config file of Dosbox?

the windows version runs incredibly fast on. while I get the graphics to work. i have not looked into doing anything to the speed. there are some other programs that attempt to adjust the speed.

I recommend the DOS version in dosbox for better speed control.

Just throwing it out there, the Dos version (I've got the steam setup) works just great with the latest Util beta build on Win7, no problems anywhere that I saw. Tested Geoscape (with an interception) and Tactical briefly; all worked wonderfully.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've not got screenshots handy right now, or the spefics of my Util setup, but I finally remembered to throw this out here:

Whenever I start a crashed/landed UFO mission, the elerium from the power sources are ALWAYS 1) Outside the ship, 2)Spaced exactly as the powersource would be in the ufo, and 3) intact EVEN IF the power-source in the actual UFO has exploded.

I've got a busy weekend, but I'll make a note to get some screenshots and see if I can find my Util-setup somewhere so this can be attempted to be dupilicated.