The Girl At Work

FullAuto

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With such a seemingly complex and illogical matter shall we perhaps turn to science?

https://cdn.holytaco.com/www/sites/default/files/images/2009/12/funnyexam22.jpg

::

Popular science at its best... :D

Bad math. "To find a women you need time and money" does not translate to multiplication, it's addition. Therefore,

Woman = Time + Money

Woman = Money + Money = 2*Money

Woman = 2*SQRT(Problems)

:D

Edit: I should also mention that money is the root of all evil, not problems, so technically:

Woman = 2*SQRT(Evil)

Scary stuff. :)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack this FA, but I have a question about those mystical "girls" everyone seems to be talking about. :D

So I was at this Catholic music festival last Saturday and after it was over, there was some food and drinks and socializing. Naturally, there were lots of girls and I was in a group with a friend and some girls joined and we talked. I think one of them may be interested in me and I need to verify this so I would welcome your input. I'm generally pretty inexperienced with women (they ignored me up until recently :)) which is why I'm asking. I could also use a female perspective so if you have a girlfriend, wife, or female friend I'd appreciate it if you asked her.

Here's what made me "suspicious": I noticed her looking at me, and I don't mean the normal "looking at me", it's more like those glances of interest (I suck at describing this...). I chose to ignore this, but during the conversation I mentioned I was a graduate* CS student and she seemed somewhat impressed by this. When she was about to go she said goodbye to my friend and when she was saying goodbye to me she asked if I was coming to a meeting this coming Saturday, which I was planning to do anyway so I said yes.

My question is: am I reading too much into this? I would also like to add that the same thing happened on Tuesday. I was talking to some girl the entire time and as she was going she also asked me if I was going to be attending on Saturday. So... yay or nay?

The funny thing is, 2 years ago I would be completing disregarding this. I used to do the Johnny Bravo thing ("oh yeah, she digs me") for fun, but then things started to happen and it wasn't my imagination anymore. There's some funny stories there, maybe I'll share them some day. :D

*Note: in our school system graduate means you're done with all your semesters (no more lectures) and just need to pass the remaining exams and write your thesis. It's a special status that means you're pretty much done.

Definite interest. If you're not interested in someone being there, you just don't bother asking.

Being as close to objective as my puny male brain can manage, it's one of those statements which you can read too much into, but I have never used it myself without being interested in that person in some way.

Suppose it depended if she sounded genuinely interested in you being there or whether she was just making conversation - you'd be able to tell the difference by the tone of her voice.

I think the making conversation thing happens more at an older age or in the workplace when there's a lot more small talk though so I'm guessing she's interested.

Last time I saw the object of my affections she blew my tiny male mind. I was strolling around work pretending to be busy, saw her similarly between tasks and wandered over. "Is the proton accelerator* upstairs?" I asked.

"Yes, it's downstairs." She said.

I stared slack-jawed, a caveman faced with fire. My brain just blew a fuse.

*This isn't what I was looking for, but it sounds much cooler.

It's been two and a half months since you started this thread, which means she's been in your sights for at least that long. Problem is, you're not doing anything about it! Don't keep her waiting! If she's been interested for some time, she'll eventually get bored at your inaction and look elsewhere. What's more, if the girl's as wonderful as you claim, you likely have competitors. Competitors who could snatch her away any moment now.

As for date material, I don't know. You could go to the movies with her, and pick a movie with some degree of substance that isn't an insult to her intelligence. No romantic crap, nor Avatar. Something you can discuss afterwards. Hell, you could pick Sherlock Holmes, maybe, and afterwards make comparisons with the books, who knows. As for your nervousness around her, well, that's ultimately something you have to deal with yourself.

Whole point is, get your arse out of the Skyranger and DO something! ;P

No excuses, fool. XD

By the way, does she know you're interested? I think if she does, you don't want to wait too long to at least ask her out to lunch some time. Long periods of indecision are definitely points against you. With some girls, even if they are interested, they absolutely want to have the guy ask them. There isn't any advantage to putting it off in this case, since they will never come to you openly.

That's right. Damn women and their passiveness.

They want equality and shit, but we're still the ones doing all the hard work in this phase. And don't tell me about pregnancy and child labour because that's peanuts!

Now seriously, there's no better time than now. As the great Sun Tzu said, "Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays."

Look FA, just bump into her at lunch and ask if you could eat together. You'll break the ice, test the waters, and talk all in one go, and it's the simplest and safest way to do it.

It's a start. Unless you want to go all caveman and club her over the head before dragging her back to your cave by her hair.

Hey, I'm biding my time, okay? I'm an incredibly bitter man, I need time to accept that not all women are scheming, lying, traitorous shallow harpies with jealousy for brains.

Oh they are not, definitely not. A lot of good women. What they are is TAKEN, dammit! Don't let some other fool take her out for lunch or whatever. And than you'll say she was leading you on.

If somebody else gets her interest, blame it on yourself.

Damn! Lots of advice I could give, most of it useless, but above all a casual lunch conversation invite DO IT!

If she's in any way smart, and limited information says she is, she'll know you're expressing interest in her as a person, and will respond accordingly.

She might say no. Thus you can stop wasting both of your time. Say "Fair enough" and move on politely.

She might say no, but maybe tomorrow. This is in fact a yes, slightly delayed. yay!

She might say yes, and during the lunch conversation (this or next) drop hints that she has a current boyfriend. Oops. But she'll have appreciated the interest.

Who knows! She's a people. People are weird like that.

It is hard to move to a place where you both can converse cool and casual and relaxed. Maybe pretend she's new to the company and instead of a romantic interest, you're asking her some casual questions about her opinions and interests to help her relax. Such as the proton accelerator comment (promising) or Avatar (don't come out spitting bile immediately, the 3D was jawdropping and Mrs.Jellyfish enjoyed it as you would a rollercoaster) or general events at work. Pretty safe bets.

*edit* <cough> just read the rest of the thread. Anything about that concert ticket? Are you in fact in said classical musical society? This is part of the "getting to know you" dance in which you are both essentially strangers at the start but have a better idea what kind of person you and they really are, and if you're compatible, after a month.

Then again, Mrs.Jellyfish's favorite movie of the 80's was "Predator". (You can see why I had to marry her before some other less deserving squire learned of this.) You might strike gold.