Hearts of Iron 2

FullAuto

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I see. Now for some actual gameplay questions. I've been playing the tutorials for about the last hour or so. So far I've gotten the idea, if not exactly how to execute things properly. That comes with experience I suppose. But I'm having a problem on the last tutorial about Advanced Combat. It sets it up that I'm Japan on Okinawa and another one of the Ryukyu Islands north of Oki. The USA is on Taiwan. It's showing me how to go patrols with my fleet of 5 ships and air superiority missions with my single squadron (I guess that's what they're called, either way, I have ONE fighter). Got that. Then they tell me how to split my division of infantry and paratroopers into two separate divisions (each division previously having two groups in each). Then it teaches me how to load the paratroopers into the transport plane. Got all of that...

Then it wants me to a drop into Hualien (I think that's the name, it's the eastern province of Taiwan in any case). So I right click on the area with my transport planes selected and select the mission and I see the time....blah blah blah. But after I assign the mission, the transport plane just sits there while my fleet and fighters are zooming around the area doing what they're suppose to. WHY WON'T THE DAMN TRANSPORTS GO?!?!

Okay, I think I know what the problem is. The little percentage slider that you get when you give someone a mission is default at 50%. But if the combined Str/Org of a unit is already under that 50% mark, it won't do anything. So I have to give it the mission again, but adjust the slider some. I put it at 30%

Can you explain how the Str/Org thing works a little and now changing that slider does anything? The tutorials are fine for going through the motions a little, but they hardly tell you WTF is going on or WTF things actually do. This game is complicated...here I was thinking Civilization or Alpha Centauri were some of the hardest games I've played...

Strength is how many men the unit has out of how many it should have. Obviously, units lose men through combat casualties. They need time to reinforce, and you have to dedicate some IC to reinforcements.

Organisation is how coherent a unit is, lines of communication, chain o' command, etc. The more a unit fights (though not necessarily how many casualties it takes) the less organised it becomes as units shift around, fog of war, etc.

The slider on the mission box is a very handy little gadget. Say you have a unit at 70% strength and you set the slider at 60%. As soon as the unit's strength goes below 60% they'll stop carrying out that mission and rest. Once their reinforcements take them over 60% again, they'll resume carrying it out. Use it to stop units getting wiped out needlessly. If you want a unit to participate in current ops, but be in good strength for a future move, set the slider higher (80/90%), so that the unit goes for some R&R when only slightly damaged. Conversely, if you need a unit to hold on like grim death, set the slider lower.

If you lose all your Org, you've just lost the combat. If you lose all your Str, the unit is wiped out.

The tutorials are fine for going through the motions a little, but they hardly tell you WTF is going on or WTF things actually do. This game is complicated...here I was thinking Civilization or Alpha Centauri were some of the hardest games I've played...

Yep, the only way to learn to play this game is to play it. The tutorials did nothing for me, complete bobbins.

I looked at the scenarios I can play and man...most of the deal with worldwide war. I think I'm going to start the Brazil/Allies vs. Argentina/Axis Plantation War. It's probably a little bigger than some of the other operations, but it'll give me war, country running, and some world diplomacy experience.

But, if you've got any ideas or suggestions...I'm all for it.

BTW, I'm thinking once I figure everything out and take on the entire world, I want to try my hand at the American Union/Empire. Which I envision includes North and South America, domination of the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, Europe from Spain to at least Germany, and Europe from Norway to Italy/Greece. Maybe Japan too, and some North African areas. To me this all sounds so very...sexy. My nipples are hard thinking about it.

Ever tried to be Switzerland and knockout Germany or some else big like France?

Which begs the question...having seen this entire thread and people have been doing all sorts of combat in Europe...why hasn't anyone gone into Swisscheeseland? Can't be that hard to take over and I bet they have decent resources, manpower, or good IC. Maybe?

Probably for several reasons: they're no threat to anyone, their territory isn't all that good, their armed forces are in decent shape. Not Wehrmacht-defying shape, but more trouble than they are worth, plus the diplomatic repercussions of invading a neutral state.

I've tried taking on major powers with minor ones, e.g. Italy vs Germany, Spain vs France, with some rather miserable results. ;)

Oh, I didn't know certain nations could actually be neutral and there was a system to determine what that is and bonuses/penalties for it. I'm used to things like that either being "out of bounds" or they start out not at war, but will act like any other AI.

Seems the developers thought of everything in this game.

But WHO CARES? My American Empire doesn't bow to the wishes of the world. If we think Switzerland should join, we will give them two options. By choice, or by force. Pax Americana!

As soon as I figure things out and get a good game going, I'll put up some progress reports/pictures like you guys.

Declaring war on nations for no real reason (e.g. Lebensraum, wanting their chocolate, hating their silly foreign language) raises your belligerence, and the more belligerent you are, the less likely other nations are to have anything to do with you, and the more likely they are to declar war on you.

As soon as I figure things out and get a good game going, I'll put up some progress reports/pictures like you guys.

Good stuff!

Well, looks like Pax Americana is going to have to be put on hold. My little Taco Bell war didn't go too well. Had like half of the continent allied with me along with the US sending me troops (BTW, I have Brazil), but I couldn't get my guys where I needed them fast enough. For get about producing more infantry...and they took a province of mine, it destroyed my only airplane!

Also, I couldn't get units put into groups after I had split them up. Didn't know what I should be building...factories, etc? I think I should start smaller. BTW, energy...mine kept going down. I take it the only way to get more of it is to take over provinces that produce it, right? No other way?

As you can tell, I'm far away from figuring out WTF is going on. I don't know how the hell you managed to build that giant ass Japanland empire from Eastern Europe to Western Pacific. Ghengis Khan would be proud, I think.

Also doesn't help that when you're other nations, units are called by THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGES! I don't freakin' speak Portuguese.

Edit: Which scenario should I start out with, IYO?

Also, I couldn't get units put into groups after I had split them up.

Shift click the ones you want to group together, then click the little black man/green man box towards the bottom left. They have to be in the same province/base.

Didn't know what I should be building...factories, etc?

No, don't bother with factories yet, whether you build them or not is a long-term strategic decision.

BTW, energy...mine kept going down. I take it the only way to get more of it is to take over provinces that produce it, right? No other way?

Trade. Find another country that has a surplus of energy. Whatever you have a surplus of, trade some of that for the energy you need.

Also doesn't help that when you're other nations, units are called by THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGES! I don't freakin' speak Portuguese.

You can rename the armies/fleets/air wings you create, which makes things a lot easier. Just click on the name, delete it, type in the new one. You can't rename the divisions, so the 11th Panzer Flugenflieger von Hindenburg Division is always going to be called that, but if the army it's in is named 3rd Panzer Force, you know what's what.

Try one of the campaigns, Operation Husky, Desert Fox, Spanish Civil War, something like that. Do not worry or get put off, it took me weeks to learn how the game works, and it took me months to learn to play it well.

Considering the date today, I'm considering putting S2 on hold today and see if I repeat history. Or maybe do what most of the non-Nazi military leaders wanted to and get the West to support me in my war against the flawed ideology of the USSR!

Either way, Poland will probably end up getting stomped by whoever.

Well, praise my ancestors, the Axis is finally cracking. Romania, Hungary and Slovakia are almost mine:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/rhswipedout.jpg

However, Germany is still tuff enuff and is resisting me quite effectively. The Americans are closing in from the west:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/yankseast.jpg

Hopefully I can rush through Hungary and Slovakia and into northern Italy before the filthy Yanks.

Wow, you're going to end up fighting a pretty strong US on both oceans. If they're smart, they'll attack you in the Pacific in order to make your giant Eurasian army pretty useless. Force you to shift units to the Pacific, then start heading east and do to you what you did to the Chinese and Soviets.

One thing I wanted to axe. You said you had something like 200 division. How are they grouped together for the most part? You know, like 3 divisions here, another 7 here, etc.

When fighting a full-on war like I am now, I tend to use groups of 9, 3 and 1 divisions, with ad hoc groups of various sizes. Although you can have Field Marshals commanding up to 12 divisions, I never do this, it feels too unwieldy.

Normally, it's groups of 3 divs under a Lieutenant General, which then coalesce or splinter as the need arises. If there's a lot of enemy and I need to punch through or stiffen the defence, I form up armies of 9 divisions under a General. If I need to police some provinces, they split up into individual divs under Major Generals and do their anti-partisan thang.

Individual HQs follow close behind the biggest groups, never getting into combat, always commanded by a G or FM with the Logistics Wizard skill.

I always use paras in 3-div groups, because the maximum amount of squadrons you can have in an air wing is 4, which means only 4 transports for the paras, which means only 4 divs, but that means using a G to command, and there's usually few competent Gs to go round. So 3x3 div groups, and if necessary, combine into a 9 div army under a G after the drop.

I tend not to use brigades, or at least use them very little. They're hardly ever worth the IC cost.

Versus the US currently, I could win the battle for the Pacific. I have 5 wings of nav bombers, 7 fleets (2 tip-top, 5 decent, 2 rubbish), about 5 small fleets of subs, and 40-odd ICBMs tasked with reducing American islands. Three nukes loaded, two ready for use against the US.

In the Atlantic, it would be a different matter. The majority of their strength is there, and friendly countries and the formidable Royal Navy further increase their advantage. 20 carriers to 70 is okay...as long as I get to play on home water...

And, radies and gentremen, it is goodnight Vienna!

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/goodnightvienna.jpg

Look, what is it Nishina-san, I'm very bu....ooooh.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/hydrobomb.jpg

France gets rid of the Petainist swine:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/vivelf.jpg

Yank, meet Jap!

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/japmeetyank.jpg

I liked this part though, "The international community will not tolerate this..."

It get's old fast. The international community can't tolerate anything it seems. ;)

Well, I just purchased HOI II Doomsday off eBay for rather cheap. FA: is Doomsday a cross between HOI II and HOI III? That's my impression from reading up on it so far. :)

- Zombie

Nah, DD just adds some bits to HOI2, and introduces a WWIII scenario:

There is a new intelligence area. This provides information on other countries and allows operations against them such as stealing technological blueprints, assassinating members of government, and starting coup d'

Ha, I did it. I actually played a game for more than hour AND won. Tried the Plantiean War war as Brazil again. I found out that I don't like allied nations very much...

Ended up doing most of the fighting in some of the provinces and the damn Chileans come in and scoop up the province. Lazy bastards...though they did help me cut Argentina in half and allowed me to take the capital and surrounding areas. Annexed them. I ended up liberating them, had them as puppets...and they STILL got aid from Germany, which was cool. Then I finally cut them loose for good.

Also ended up annexing most of Peru and Bolivia. Never liked those Bolivians...though after I did that I wasn't able to liberate them. I don't know why.

El Edito: Played as Nationalist Spain again and got pretty well hammered. I know Commie Spain has a buncha unmovable garrison units, but they also have a hell of a lot more IC than me and a huge navy. Not only that, they don't depend on outside support as much. So I decided to be Commie Spain and surprise, surprise...I beat Nationalist Spain. Would done it sooner but gave those Basque bastards a homeland and they friggin' stole a 2 division unit from me...and marched into one of Franco's provinces after I had done the damn fighting.

I'm starting to wonder how the hell Franco won the Spainese Civil War-IRL version.

BTW, FA let the Yanks know who they're dealing with...

https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/SoulBrotherKab/youwantpraygameoj9.jpg

Also ended up annexing most of Peru and Bolivia. Never liked those Bolivians...though after I did that I wasn't able to liberate them. I don't know why.

Did you actually annexe them or just occupy most of their territory? Actual annexation is a diplomatic choice, and can only be done when you hold all of a country's key territories (the ones with victory points). Their country is subsumed into yours, and you can then liberate it.

AH HA! You're right, I didn't annex them. I only occupied them. Even though I only held the northeast part of Argentina, I suppose those were the Victory Point provinces...Chile had almost off the the southern provinces except for one at the tip of South America and the little island some of that province, I owned those. So I was able to annex Argentina and liberate them again.

BTW, I love the spelling and grammatical errors in the game. Pretty funny. When I won the Spainese Civil War it went on with something like "teh Civil War went on for....blah blah blah."