Hearts of Iron 2

FullAuto

Wouldn't nuking the Soviet Union make it ripe for the picking for Germany (who is already strong) to extend it's domination further East? If that would happen, Germany would start picking fights with you. Of course, if you have enough nukes stockpiled, you could drop a few on Germany too just to be safe. Hehe.

Crap. Forgot about that. I don't know, I might not be able to find out without actually doing it, but I suspect the Axis, at full power and without the Eastern Front, is close to a match for the Allies. They're probably pretty well dug in anyway (late '46), and no provinces are changing hands in Europe, so I think they're stalemated. This is 100% good for me, as it means the Allies aren't free to declare war on nasty ol' Japan, and Germany isn't free to declare war on the SU and fight it's way through the SU to me. Which would be easily doable now, seeing as I apparently cannot stop moving west. More Sitzkrieg, less Blitzkrieg, I think.

I'm trying something kinda stupid for my first run-thru: I'm purchasing or trading for rare materials hoping to corner the market. I realize that most countries can just get more of the rares as time goes on, but if I hoard it early, the big countries may not have enough of them to use for bigger projects. Seems to be working a little: the SU, Japan and a few other countries are begging for me to trade my rares for other things (not likely this is going to happen). The SU in particular has refused to trade any of it's rares to me anymore which likely means it's already started to gear up for the long war ahead of them. So this may backfire on me, but at least I'll have plenty of rares to use (It's October 1, 1936 and I have 84,322 units of rare materials in my stockpile already). What's your thoughts, FA? Forget about trading since the United States can get enough rares through it's local sources?

It's very viable. Rares are exactly that, so at any stage of the game you can get favourable trades for them if you ever run short of anything else, and certain nations will need more rares than they can produce, doubly so during war time. The SU has loads of resources, but everyone else, at one time or another, runs short of something. Supplies you can produce yourself, but oil is another one it's wise to stockpile, when you have multiple fleets, tank armies and squadrons of aircraft all moving or fighting the stuff starts to go at an alarming rate. Look at the Netherlands, they seem to have a load of rares thanks to their provinces in Asia.

Japan, being an island nation, is very vulnerable to the same sort of submarine campaign that was aimed at the UK during WWII by Germany. Subs are an economical way to wage war. They're cheap, you can pump out loads of the little blighters, and they can wreak Hell on an enemy's supply convoys. They're rubbish versus a conventional surface fleet, but it's easy to disperse so many subs that the majority become impossible for the enemy to counter without investing massively in anti-sub warfare fleets. It will obviously involve more management controlling 10 sub fleets of 6 than 2 surface fleets of 30, but if you lose a sub, pfft, so what, knock out another. If you lose a carrier, it's time to break out the Johnson's.

You can cripple opponents via the economy, it just takes more time. :)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good tips, thanks mate. I have been stockpiling oil too since the US has plenty of Energy and metal to barter so I figured I'd better grab it while the going's good. :) Nice to know that economic warfare will actually work too. I'm hoping to use that along with force to bring all oppressors to their knees and bow to the power of the US. j/k :)

My biggest problem at the time seems to be dissent. Right now it's at an alarming 28% and steadily rising at a rate of 0.22 per day. What am I doing wrong, and more importantly, how do I fix this? I doubt I have enough of an army to curtail a mass revolt by the American people. :)

Also, I'm not making any money at home. All of my cash comes through trades. How do I go about making money to be more self-sufficient? Trade more metals or energy?

- Zombie

My biggest problem at the time seems to be dissent. Right now it's at an alarming 28% and steadily rising at a rate of 0.22 per day. What am I doing wrong, and more importantly, how do I fix this? I doubt I have enough of an army to curtail a mass revolt by the American people. sad.gif

Also, I'm not making any money at home. All of my cash comes through trades. How do I go about making money to be more self-sufficient? Trade more metals or energy?

You can help both of these by devoting more IC to consumer goods. Satiate the people's unrest with some conspicuous consumption! The more IC you dedicate to CG, the more money you will make and the less dissent you will suffer. If you hover your cursor over the CG slider, the tooltip thing will tell you how much $ you're making, how much you're spending on research, how much $ you're getting from trade, and how much that level of CG affects your dissent. So hoik it up until it says "Daily Dissent Progress -0.05" or however much you want.

If you want loads of money, the best way to get it is through trades. If you have lots of surplus metal/energy by all means sell them off, but the real moneyspinner is supplies. Add some more IC to the supplies slider so you have a nice surplus, and trade those for money. Some countries will give you silly money for supplies. You can make loads of cash this way, but it doesn't affect the dissent level in your country.

If you have lots of spare IC, you can make more money by the latter method than just dedicating it to producing more CG, but the latter involves making trades, and then when you need that spare IC for something else, cancelling those trades. It's more time-intensive.

The best way to trade for stuff you need is to get it from lots of different sources. If you need 5 rares, don't just get it from the SU or UK, get 1 from Bolivia, 0.5 from Brazil, 0.3 from Australia, etc so that if any country is lost to war, suddenly needs that resource, or you piss them off, you're not left wanting. Again, it's more time-intensive, but if you have a big stockpile it's not really an issue.

Also, don't forget to play with your ministers (though swapping them does add on 1% of dissent for each) and find which ones give you the best bonuses, and REALLY don't forget to play with the government sliders by the ministers. You can only move one of these once a year, but they can change a lot. Hover the cursor over the +/- signs to see the effects.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/jackpot.jpg

That's it, I want ICBMs with nuclear warheads before the 1950s! Get cracking!

You can help both of these by devoting more IC to consumer goods. Satiate the people's unrest with some conspicuous consumption! The more IC you dedicate to CG, the more money you will make and the less dissent you will suffer. If you hover your cursor over the CG slider, the tooltip thing will tell you how much $ you're making, how much you're spending on research, how much $ you're getting from trade, and how much that level of CG affects your dissent. So hoik it up until it says "Daily Dissent Progress -0.05" or however much you want.

If you want loads of money, the best way to get it is through trades. If you have lots of surplus metal/energy by all means sell them off, but the real moneyspinner is supplies. Add some more IC to the supplies slider so you have a nice surplus, and trade those for money. Some countries will give you silly money for supplies. You can make loads of cash this way, but it doesn't affect the dissent level in your country.

If you have lots of spare IC, you can make more money by the latter method than just dedicating it to producing more CG, but the latter involves making trades, and then when you need that spare IC for something else, cancelling those trades. It's more time-intensive.

Thanks a bunch. For some reason the CG slider was set to 0. :) No wonder people were flaking out. Dissent was at a max of like 45% and now I'm down to 37%. Had to squash a revolt in New York last week, but it's looking good now. And finally I'm beginning to get some supplies back into the stockpiles again. I'm still trading for a good chunk of supplies until the dissent reaches a manageable level though. You can only move those sliders so far before things start heading south. :)

It's nearing the end of April 1937 and I have 487k Energy, 304k Metals, 165k Rare Materials, 270k Oil and ~63,000 Supplies. I'm a little short in that area obviously - I'd much rather be in the 100k range by now. Also have $2815 in money. So, are these good numbers so far? I took a long hard look at my trades and found I had a couple black holes in there. For some reason I was sending Canada 50 oil for nothing in return and I was basically giving away a boatload of metals to China. I think this happened when I was setting up the trade: the country used up all of the resource I was looking to trade for (probably rare materials). Gotta remember to pause the game when setting up these trades in the future...

The best way to trade for stuff you need is to get it from lots of different sources. If you need 5 rares, don't just get it from the SU or UK, get 1 from Bolivia, 0.5 from Brazil, 0.3 from Australia, etc so that if any country is lost to war, suddenly needs that resource, or you piss them off, you're not left wanting. Again, it's more time-intensive, but if you have a big stockpile it's not really an issue.

Aye, I don't think I'll have a problem in this area. I'm getting stuff from all over the globe right now so even if a country goes away I'm still getting it from 10+ others. But I'll certainly keep it in mind if/when I go to war. :)

Also, don't forget to play with your ministers (though swapping them does add on 1% of dissent for each) and find which ones give you the best bonuses, and REALLY don't forget to play with the government sliders by the ministers. Yuo can only move one of these once a year, but they can change a lot. Hover the cursor over the +/- signs to see the effects.

Thanks for reminding me about this. Instead of a totally free market I started to switch to more of a planned one. It's not really the American way, but times are tough with the recession in full swing and a world war waiting in the wings. Something needs to be done. :)

May I ask a couple more questions? :) Right now I have 188 for Transport Capacity when I need 211. How do I get more TC? I think I built a couple transport ships and such a while ago... don't know if those really did anything and can't remember how to do that anymore. Help! Also, my Industrial Capacity is 114 when I need 285. I built a few factories and they seemed to increase my IC a bit, so should I build some more? Finally, I constantly get these annoying pop-up windows saying "Sir, we are barely influenced by COUNTRY X". Is this an important message? Can I just safely disregard it? And can I turn this message off somehow? :)

Edit: Oh no, Japan just declared war on a bunch of countries. And it's only 1937! ;)

https://www.postimage.org/PqXMxMr.jpg

- Zombie

It's nearing the end of April 1937 and I have 487k Energy, 304k Metals, 165k Rare Materials, 270k Oil and ~63,000 Supplies. I'm a little short in that area obviously - I'd much rather be in the 100k range by now. Also have $2815 in money. So, are these good numbers so far? I took a long hard look at my trades and found I had a couple black holes in there. For some reason I was sending Canada 50 oil for nothing in return and I was basically giving away a boatload of metals to China. I think this happened when I was setting up the trade: the country used up all of the resource I was looking to trade for (probably rare materials). Gotta remember to pause the game when setting up these trades in the future...

Yep, that's plenty. There's no real reason to save more than 200k of each resource and about $300. Spend the rest of your money on influencing nations, espionage, trade for more supplies, etc. Don't forget that as an economic/resource powerhouse, you can help other countries out and while you might not get anything in return directly, there will be benefits. If you're playing historically (you're going to join the Allies etc) then giving Canada a chunk of oil for free (or at a very favourable price) makes sense, if they're part of the Allies you want them to be stronger. Likewise, those metals to China. If China has all the resources she needs, she can give Japan (your new rival in the Pacific) a harder time. This will make things easier for you. China will probably still lose, because resources only go so far, but with you behind her she will never run short of any resource while you can still supply her. Longer conflict for Japan without you firing a shot.

May I ask a couple more questions?

Ask away about anything, I was totally lost when I started playing this. The tutorials are rubbish, they taught me nothing. Glad to help!

Right now I have 188 for Transport Capacity when I need 211. How do I get more TC? I think I built a couple transport ships and such a while ago... don't know if those really did anything and can't remember how to do that anymore. Help!

TC is derived from your IC. More IC = more TC. The more units/provinces/Dissent you have, the more of your TC will be used. Currently you're using 189 out of a maximum of 213 TC. If you go over the maximum, your transport network is backlogged, units won't get all their supplies in time, etc. That's bad, try not to let that happen.

Transport ships don't affect your TC, they're for loading units into (infantry, tanks, cavalry, etc) and shipping them wherever you need.

Also, my Industrial Capacity is 114 when I need 285. I built a few factories and they seemed to increase my IC a bit, so should I build some more?

That's Dissent damaging your IC, don't worry. Because everyone's marching and chanting "WHAT DO WE WANT? GRADUAL CHANGE! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? IN DUE COURSE!", they're not working. When your Dissent dies down your IC will climb up to maximum again. The IC numbers are Wasted/Current/Base. So in that screenshot, you're wasting 0 IC (it's all being used, good stuff), your Current IC is your Base modified by whatever's happening (it's 129 because everyone's playing silly buggers) and your Base is your IC BEFORE any modifiers are applied. Modifiers are stuff like +10% bonus from Minister B. Ribery, -14% because of Dissent, +5% because of planned economy, +5% because of Slavery technology, and so on.

Finally, I constantly get these annoying pop-up windows saying "Sir, we are barely influenced by COUNTRY X". Is this an important message? Can I just safely disregard it? And can I turn this message off somehow?

That's just countries getting friendly with you, don't worry about it. It's not important. You can edit the message options (pause game, options screen) to appear and pause, just appear, appear in the game log at the bottom, etc.

Oh no, Japan just declared war on a bunch of countries. And it's only 1937!

Ah, that takes me back! Yep, Japan goes off and conquers a chunk of China about then, so if you want to oppose them you can help those countries out, or sit back and relax, or join in, etc. Up to you! Beware that in Asia are the Phillipines, who are a puppet of yours, so if you go to war with Japan, the dastardly Nipponese will hit there, and your islands (Guam, etc). Don't know if you have the forces to go island-hopping just yet...

Play til 4.50 am and make me cry?

Besides, I wasn't playing right up until 3.50, I quit about twenty minutes before.

So there. :)

Captured my first Black Sea port.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/blacksea.jpg

This has got so unbelievably out of hand it's not even funny. I'm not showing off here, or faking embarrassment, I am genuinely annoyed that I've had to come all this way, especially for a war I didn't even start. This isn't me doing a more-balls-than-Officer-Koon-beating-Rodney-King act or faking modesty while calling myself Ozymandias, King of Kings, it's just bloody stupid. I wanted a good counter-attack, capture half a dozen provinces with some minor resources, SU sees the error of its ways, peace, I go back to planning the invasion of Tibet (OPERATION DALAI LAMER).

Instead I've conquered a load of frozen tundra, several hundred yaks and a goat cheese factory. And what's the last thing Ivan will do?

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/antijapanesepropagandat.gif

You're annoyed you got this far? Why? You are a superb tactician and a master of brinkmanship... and now war too. The game just doesn't know what to do anymore except let you dominate the entire world. Crikey, you earned it, so go bask in the glory for a little while and then try to exterminate those Nazis if Mother Russia isn't much of a threat. :)

Thanks for humoring me here. The tutorials (like you say) are junk and the manual isn't much better in some areas. And I have so many questions. :)

Things are looking up in my game thanks to you. Dissent is now creeping below 19.5%, hurray. Slow but sure I'll get the American people back on my side. Have plenty of energy, metals, rares and oil in my stockpiles and supplies are now above 101k. My cash is $2613 and current manpower is 2485. All in all not too shabby considering I almost ran the country into the ground.

Here's where I'm at in the research area: Had Robert Traux working on the Rocket Engine topic, he finished not too long ago and I put him on the Turbojet Engine topic now (21.8% complete). This is my question though: will Robert Traux (who has a background in rocketry and has an overall skill of 6) be slower in finishing this topic than say Boeing which has a skill of 8 (and also some rocketry skills)? Another related question: what would happen if I put Texas Oil in charge of the Turbojet engine? Texaco has an overall skill of 9 but no background in rocketry whatsoever. Will that take longer still?

Boeing is currently working on the Improved Strategic Bomber topic but it's taking forever to complete (60.8%). Is this because I'm only in the 1938 calendar year when the research topic says this technology first became available in 1940? Suppose I should have focused more on the other earlier research topics available but I wanted to start work on a long-range strategic bomber ASAP, just in case I want to dump some nukes on Japan before they get too aggressive.

Hopefully Boeing will finish it's topic soon because I want to put it on the other currently available rocketry research topic: the Flying Bomb. Once I get that, then I can put someone on the Strategic Rocket topic to finish off that line in the industrial tab.

J. Robert Oppenheimer is doing a good job on the nuclear aspect, even though he's working on it years before it really happened. He finished off the Nuclear Research topic in late 1937, and now in Jan 1938 he's making some headroom on the Isotope Separation topic (3.6% complete). It'll take a while to finish this, but he's still three years ahead of schedule (topic says this tech became available in 1941). After that I can start building a nuclear reactor test facility. Another question: I built 2 rocket test sites. Are 2 better than 1? Will 2 of them yield faster results than a lone site? If so, I should probably build a couple nuclear reactors instead of 1, correct?

In the radar category I'm up to Improved Decimetric. The agriculture area is maxed out and complete. In the synthetic oil area I'm finished with the Improved Refining topic. In the manufacturing area I finished the Advanced Construction topic. I'd like to start in the cryptography area sometime soon but I can't see taking Robert Oppenheimer off nuclear physics just to peruse his mathematics skill for this area (hard to believe that none of the other companies/people have mathematics skill). Cryptography isn't all mathematics though, there are other areas involved like management, mechanics, electronics and even training. So would I be better off sticking a company in there with multiple skills and let it muddle through the mathematics area, or should I stick Oppenheimer (who only has the mathematics skill) in there and let him muddle through the other skill areas?

I've researching up to (but not including the Electro Submarine) and just started work on the Improved Air Carrier (62% done). Other than some minor research in the Air Doctrine tab, I haven't done anything else. Is there anything you would suggest I should start research on that is important? Yeah, I realize that you have no idea what my overall strategy is to make a determination (and to be quite honest, I probably don't have an idea either), but I'm leaning to keeping out of the war as long as possible and building my fleet/army/defenses/weapons up to a high level just in case I need to jump in to lend a hand.

I tried using some of my money to influence nations and asked countless countries for permission on military access (China especially), but every one of them declined (except for New Zealand). I figure that if China doesn't want me marching my troops through their countryside, then they really shouldn't be getting any economic help from me either. Bah to them, I say. Let them fall on their own diplomatic sword. They already lost a bunch of provinces to Japan. Here's a question (again): if I provide economic stimulus to the Chinese to help them fight their war, will that sour my relationship with Japan somehow? I really don't want to take a chance on pi$$ing them Japanese off right now as I'm hopelessly behind on my military. As it stands, I occasionally see one of their aircraft carriers mulling off the coast of Guam. To be on the safe side, I created a supply route to Guam in order to bolster it's defenses. Hopefully I can create (and keep) a stronghold on this island so that I can send strategic bombers to bomb them (or if this is too far away, lob a nuclear tipped ICBM their way). :)

You talked about spies and espionage a few posts back. How do I go about doing this? Do I need to declare war on someone before I can infiltrate a country with my spies? I don't see a way how to do this right now. :)

- Zombie

This is my question though: will Robert Traux (who has a background in rocketry and has an overall skill of 6) be slower in finishing this topic than say Boeing which has a skill of 8 (and also some rocketry skills)? Another related question: what would happen if I put Texas Oil in charge of the Turbojet engine? Texaco has an overall skill of 9 but no background in rocketry whatsoever. Will that take longer still?

It's best to match the backgrounds of the researchers with the requirements of the research, definitely. The way I do it is with a bit of simple maths, the only type my brain can withstand.

For example, you want the Glass Hammers technology. This requires Mechanics (10), Management (10), Industrial Engineering (10), and Chemistry (20).

Your two main contenders are the Glass Tool Co. (skill 5, got Management, Mechanics, and Chemistry) and the Real Tool Co. (skill 8, got Mechanics and Industrial Engineering). Add together the values of their backgrounds from the technology you want them to research and add their skill to make a total. Glass Tool Co. equals 45 (Management 10, Mechanics 10, Chemistry 20, skill 5). Real Tool Co. equals 28. Even though the Real Tool Co. are more skilled, they don't have the necessary background to research Glass Hammers.

If two researchers have the same backgrounds for the research, then go with the one with the higher skill. This can be quite complex, so if you want more or clearer examples, just say.

Boeing is currently working on the Improved Strategic Bomber topic but it's taking forever to complete (60.8%). Is this because I'm only in the 1938 calendar year when the research topic says this technology first became available in 1940?

That does have an effect on research, but not a major one. The ISB tech requires Aeronautics, Artillery, Electronics, Technical Efficiency, are Boeing missing any of those? If so, research will be slow while they flounder through unfamiliar areas.

A visual example:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/researchcarr.jpg

Kure Naval Yard are researching the Heavy Advanced Carrier. This requires Naval Engineering, Aeronautics, Electronics and Technical Efficiency. Now, Kure Naval Yard don't have a clue what Aeronautics are, as you can see, because matching knowledge areas are highlighted with a green border on the current research section on the left. So they'll bop through NavEng, Elec. and TE, but only slowly grind through the Aero section.

Another question: I built 2 rocket test sites. Are 2 better than 1? Will 2 of them yield faster results than a lone site? If so, I should probably build a couple nuclear reactors instead of 1, correct?

Rocket test sites increase the research speed of any technology involving rocketry. Don't go mad, though, it's only worth building about 4-6 IIRC. Any after that grant little return. Nuke reactors do the same for any reseach involving nuclear materials, and you need a reactor of a certain size to produce enough fissile material for the A-bomb.

Cryptography isn't all mathematics though, there are other areas involved like management, mechanics, electronics and even training. So would I be better off sticking a company in there with multiple skills and let it muddle through the mathematics area, or should I stick Oppenheimer (who only has the mathematics skill) in there and let him muddle through the other skill areas?

The former. So whichever has the most matching skills, unless there's a big skill difference.

Is there anything you would suggest I should start research on that is important? Yeah, I realize that you have no idea what my overall strategy is to make a determination (and to be quite honest, I probably don't have an idea either), but I'm leaning to keeping out of the war as long as possible and building my fleet/army/defenses/weapons up to a high level just in case I need to jump in to lend a hand.

The computing techs are good, they speed up your research 5% each. Don't forget to research doctrines, these are very important. These influence how your units fight, their morale, organisation, and basically how good they are at fighting.

A lot of this depends upon how you want to fight. If you're thinking of Blitzkrieg, then you want tanks, motorised/mechanised infantry, with Tactical bombers and Close Air Support aircraft bombing the enemy and fighters for air superiority. If you want to go to war on your enemy's economy, then use subs to sink his convoys and Strategic bombers to damage his industry and resources. If you want to project force across the oceans, then you want marines in transports and fleets dominated by carriers. If you're really defensive, then build up AA and fortifications in your important provinces, and build Interceptors for air superiority over your territory and Naval bombers to sink his ships.

Entirely up to you! You can't research everything, though, so pick your favourites and crack on.

I tried using some of my money to influence nations and asked countless countries for permission on military access (China especially), but every one of them declined (except for New Zealand).

That's quite a serious request, though! I mean, you'd be quite rightly nervous about letting another country's forces take up positions in the US, wouldn't you? The slightly less polite term is invasion, after all. :)

China, especially, because they're at war with Japan. Hypothetically speaking, what if they granted you permission and you landed some troops, wandered around and then joined the war on Japan's side? If you're militarily allied with the country in question and have a decent relationship, they'll usually let you, otherwise it's unlikely.

if I provide economic stimulus to the Chinese to help them fight their war, will that sour my relationship with Japan somehow?

Normal trades and such won't, no. However, if an event pops up, like "Provide Aid To Nationalist China", then you can hover the cursor over Yes/No to see the results of what each choice will be. In this example it'd be something like:

Yes = 500 metal to Nationalist China, +15 relations with NatChin, -10 relations with Japan

No = -20 relations with NatChin, +10 relations with Japan.

That sort of thing!

You talked about spies and espionage a few posts back. How do I go about doing this? Do I need to declare war on someone before I can infiltrate a country with my spies? I don't see a way how to do this right now.

The intelligence tab, near the top left.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/tab.jpg

One of the most important things you can do is make sure your own country is defended against espionage. Click on your own country, send spy, repeat until you have 10 (the maximum). Then counter-espionage (and replace any spies that die) until the estimate of spies within your borders is zero. This will cut down on other countries stealing your blueprints, killing your ministers, sabotaging your research, etc. Then start sending spies to other countries. You can send 1 spy to each country every week IIRC, and you most definitely do not have to be at war to do this, you can do it to any country, even allies. However, if your spying is discovered, relations will be damaged...

You're annoyed you got this far? Why? You are a superb tactician and a master of brinkmanship... and now war too. The game just doesn't know what to do anymore except let you dominate the entire world. Crikey, you earned it, so go bask in the glory for a little while and then try to exterminate those Nazis if Mother Russia isn't much of a threat.

Steady on! :) Mainly I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to effectively disengage or hurt the Soviets enough to make them want peace. I do know of an event that can occur that will bring about peace, but it involves capturing Stalingrad (okay, nearly got that one), Moscow and Leningrad. If I'm going to take those three, I might as well take the lot. Problem then is, I'll be sharing a border with Nazi Germany. Even if I am catching them in a two-front war, they've got more than 400 divisions, and I'm on the end of some long supply lines.

I've captured too much territory. I've broken up armies to police provinces, putting 40-odd divisions to work keeping the peace. But still:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/revolting.jpg

Sent some subs to do some hunting, hopefully a convoy or two will sail into their torpedoes:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/kami.jpg

And just north of the Black Sea, the Rodina has still more riches!

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/bsr.jpg

Krivoy Rog - 118 metal, 176 energy.

Dnepropetrovsk - 180 energy.

Zaporozhye - 190 energy.

Stalino - 230 energy.

Fair enough, I only get 30-40% of the resources from occupied provinces, that's still a lot of juice.

Oh, remember the port I captured on the Black Sea, Batum? Typically, it's so bloody far away I can't rebase any ships there, it's out of their range. Sodding arseholes.

Thanks for the info about researching, that was really helpful. At least now I'll be better informed when I start dishing out topics to companies/people. :)

So it looks like I'll need to construct a few more rocket test sites then. White Sands New Mexico, here I come!

My hope is that I can initiate some economic warfare against Japan initially. That should slow/curtail their spread and give me time to construct a fleet of submarines and bolster defenses/offences around the US-controlled islands in the Pacific (Guam, Wake Island and Hawaii to be specific). I need them as stepping stones to launch strikes and/or counteroffensives from.

Suppose you're right about asking military access. I guess that since my relationship with Nationalist China isn't the best (+87) that they would refuse. Still, I only want to help, not invade. Then again, how would they know this? Oh well, economic stimulus is heading to Nationalist China soon. Hope you guys can stop the spread of the Japanese empire. :) The way the American economy is in right now due to my gross mishandling of supplies, I sure in heck can't stop them.

I don't have an intelligence tab (I only have HOI2). Looks like you are playing the Doomsday expansion, correct? That would explain why your game is slightly different than mine. :)

- Zombie

My hope is that I can initiate some economic warfare against Japan initially. That should slow/curtail their spread and give me time to construct a fleet of submarines and bolster defenses/offences around the US-controlled islands in the Pacific (Guam, Wake Island and Hawaii to be specific). I need them as stepping stones to launch strikes and/or counteroffensives from.

Don't forget the Phillipines! As they're a puppet of yours, IIRC, you can take military control of them whenever you like. You can increase the size of airbases and ports too, of course, as well as building up the infrastructure, coastal fortifications, AA, etc. You should be able to turn your islands into Bruce-Lee-hard fortresses, so the troops you garrison the islands with won't even have to be very good to hold them against attack. Your biggest concern then is being starved out, Japan intercepting your convoys. :)

Although I think brigades are usually a bit of a waste of IC, if you do intend to permanently garrison your islands, it might be worth giving those units AA brigades, making them a little tougher (Basic AA gives +1 Def, +1 Hard Attack, +2 Air Def...and -1 Speed, but they're not going anywhere). Obviously makes things harder for enemy aircraft, too. :)

Oh well, economic stimulus is heading to Nationalist China soon. Hope you guys can stop the spread of the Japanese empire.

Don't forget, China is broken up into 6-7 different nations, and Japan wants to dominate Asia entirely. Nationalist China may be the biggest, but it's not the only one about to fight the Japanese...

I don't have an intelligence tab (I only have HOI2). Looks like you are playing the Doomsday expansion, correct?

That'll be why!

Bit of a briefing on Japan: Powerful, but in a precarious position. At the beginning of the game, they have an excellent navy (4 fleets of 16-18 surface ships, 1 small fleet of subs, 1 small fleet of transports), a decent but small army, and a small air force. Good tech teams, perhaps not quite as good as the UK/US/Germany/SU in some areas, but not outright rubbish anywhere. As an island nation, they're convoy-reliant, and they must expand to become a world power. China, as a whole, has more IC, manpower and resources than Japan, and Japan needs to exploit them to rise. I know, I did. Abrasive and competitive with the US and to a lesser extent the SU. Doesn't always join the Axis. Makes big gains if WWII happens, appropriating Indochina and Siam. If they go to war, they can hit all over Asia, scooping colonies from the Brits, Dutch, and Portugese.

Keep us posted, Zombie!

Meanwhile, on the flipside...

American activity around my islands:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/usact.jpg

You could say it makes me nervous. But you'd be lying. Because I'm actually shitting myself:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/prod.jpg

Woohoo!

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/BallM.jpg

Nakajima, I could kiss you if you weren't a group of elderly or dead Japanese men! I am definitely not afraid of Team America right now!

Everyone within 2400 miles of my air bases had better start apologising very soon.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/V2BM.jpg

"Anything interesting in the papers, darling?"

The Times, 23rd March, 1947.

...On the 15th of March, naval bombers of the Imperial Japanese Naval Air Service, overflying the Black Sea on a ordnance disposal mission, accidentally hit and sank the cruiser Krasni Kravaz, and the battleship Parishkya Kommuna, of the Soviet Navy. Survivors reported that the bombers came around for a second pass at extremely low altitude, and several testified that one pilot leaned out and yelled "INTENDED!"* before flying away. The war between the Soviet Union and the Empire of Nippon continues.

*Translated from the original Japanese.

"Just the usual rubbish, dear."

The Daily Mail, 7th April, 1947.

The contrast could not be more stark. Here, we have suffered more than four years of stalemate with a vicious aggressor, unable to gain more than a toehold on the continent, warring only on the shifting seas and in the air. We have never, despite the claims of Prime Minister Attlee, taken the fight to the enemy.

Meanwhile, Japan has taken the fight not just to the enemy, but to his very heartland. Japan has not let laziness and hedonism ruin their country.

The parallels are clear, some might say frightening. An island nation, building an empire based on perfect manners, honour, civilisation, fair trade, and good old fashioned spunk. Am I talking about Britain? Once, when Great, perhaps! But no, I am discussing Japan, now the Empire of Nippon.

The parallels do not stop there! An aggressor on the continent. Friendly countries threatened. Action that must be taken. There the parallels end. We have rested on our laurels. The Japanese have not.

If our bulldog spirit has left us, it has gone to the sturdy Japs, those short, tough men with sharp eyes and golden-hued skin, who have single-handedly taken it upon themselves to secure Asia against instability and pernicious influence. In 1941, the Soviet Union, that mighty Russian bear, stern of visage and whiskery of brisket, who we all hoped would join us in the fight against Fascism, turned on the Japanese, citing 'border provocations' and declaring war on the protectorate of Manchuko.

Fortunately for us, the Japanese set an example on how to fight an aggressor, even one blessed with superior numbers. They resisted fiercely, and by sheer determination turned back the Russian hordes, throwing them out of Asia entirely, and then rolling them back thousands of miles. Using nothing more than pluck and their eccentric 'bonsai' charges, the Japanese have pushed the bullying Soviet Union back, and back again, until now the doughty Ivan is humbled.

Once more, Asiatic hordes stand at the borders of Europe. But this time, they are not Mongols to be feared, but Japanese to be respected, and emulated.

Take their latest raid upon the Communist fortress of Sevastapol!

Under the command of Admiral Kiyohide Shima, eight squadrons of naval bombers from the Imperial Japanese Naval Air Service attacked the Red Fleet at anchor.

Supposedly used only for 'defensive purposes' in the Mediterranean and Black Seas due to the war between the Axis and Allies, the Red Fleet consisted of five flotillas of submarines, three light cruisers, a flotilla of destroyers, one cruiser, and a battleship.

On the 15th of March, the cruiser Krasni Kravaz, and the battleship Parishkya Kommuna were sunk, accredited by the Japanese, with their typical generous spirit, to 'an accident' during disposal of old Russian ordnance, left behind by their retreating forces.

On the 28th of March, the Japanese struck Sevastapol. And it was no accident!

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/sevastraid.jpg

The Japanese bombers decimate the Communist fleet.

The light cruisers Profintern, Pamiat Merkuryia, and Chervonaya Ukraina were sunk in quick succession, their thin decks unable to withstand the penetrative power of the Japanese bombs. The Esmintsev destroyer flotilla lasted longer, almost five minutes, before being devastated by the second wave of Japanese bombers. Two entire submarine flotillas were lost with all hands as they attempted to escape out to sea.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/zerosscrambled.jpg

The fantastical Karyu jet fighters join the fray.

Anti-aircraft fire was heavy in the air, but largely ineffective. The Russians scrambled Bi-1 interceptors from Odessa to interrupt the Japanese attack. Japanese air superiority was so assured that the bomber's escorts did not even break formation, and a small force of the futuristic Karyu jet fighters stopped the interceptors, shooting down as many as half a dozen for no losses to their own.

Although the lists of ship losses from Japanese and Russian authorities match, the Soviets admitted only to 'several hundred' casualties and 'cosmetic' damage to the port itself, while Japanese accounts state there were 'six million casualties', and that the port was a 'lake of divine flame' when they left it. Japanese losses were described by an impartial military observer as 'trivial'.

Perhaps we should take a match from their book, and light a divine flame under Hitler!

Enough right-wing propaganda for now.

It appears I've got a little complacent recently. Two of my merchant ships have just been sunk off the coast of China. Now, they might have wandered onto a torpedo testing range, but my bet is on Soviet subs. I'm rather miffed.

Not had any naval action in ages, so the lads are banging out. One fleet of 16 ships, split into four, with an aircraft carrier, two light cruisers and destroyer flotilla in each. Straight out and into action. I shouldn't really be risking the carriers like this, if any of my ASW fleets bumps into a big stack of subs it's goodnight Hiroshima, but I think it's just a few subs.

Ah ha!

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/ASW2.jpg

Gotcha, you little shits, with two of my ASW fleets. Break out the depth charges!

Haven't got any naval bombers in range, so I'll have to rebase them somewhere closer and then send them out to bomb the subs.

Also dispatched a wolfpack of my subs on naval interdiction to patrol around Malaysia. Everyone sailing into Asia from the west comes that way, and I want no more suprises.

Well, that was easy:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/seawater.jpg

Three hours later and they're explaining the means of production to Davy Jones. Textbook!

Ballistic missiles, the icing on the yellow cake.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/V2boom.jpg

Haven't been playing this game (or any game for that matter) for the last couple days due to a busy RL schedule, but a certain someone (who shall remain nameless) persuaded me to pick up where I left off. :)

So here's the status of my game:

I have been trading like a fiend trying to get as much as I can from the different countries. Energy is 555k, metals is 662k, rares are 367k, oil is 522k and supplies are 134k. Honorable mention goes to cash ($5153) and Manpower (2994). So my stockpiles are literally huge right now.

Research has been painfully slow. Boeing finally got off it's lazy arse and actually finished it's research on a long-range strategic bomber a whole year ahead of schedule. Pix:

https://www.postimage.org/gx1vdi1A.jpg

That's good news. Oppenheimer is still researching the Isotopic Separation Facility topic (32% done) and Traux is on the Flying Bomb (51% done). Raytheon is on the Improved Decimetric radar but it's progress is slow. (I really want better radar so my island outposts can detect enemies far enough out but I can see this may take too long to prove fruitful). Finally, I put Douglas Aircraft on a new Naval Bomber and it's only 14% done. I think Douglas is going to be just as slow as Boeing in researching aircraft, but I really want a better bomber to take care of enemy subs and such. Haven't decided what I want to research next. Maybe Imp. Computing or Prod Control/Prod Planning.

Produced some more troops and had them move to San Diego. Then I stuffed them all on a group of ships and sent it out to Wake Island. It hasn't arrived yet and I waited a few months. Worse still, I can't seem to find where this convoy is either - there are no visual indicators on the map. It's like the whole kit and caboodle disappeared into a parallel dimension/black hole/Bermuda Triangle. How long does it take to move troops via a ship from San Diego to Wake? A year? Is there a way to recruit troops directly off Wake itself instead of having to move/transport them from the mainland? Also, how do I load troops onto a ship properly and what ship can I use?

Another thing is bothering me to no end: the red for Industrial Capacity. As you can see in my previous pic, I have an IC of 2/265/294. Here's another pic detailing the production tab:

https://www.postimage.org/Pq1kedc9.jpg

What am I doing wrong and how can I get into the green for IC? If you need more info to make a determination, just ask. I'll provide whatever numbers you want. :)

- Zombie

I have been trading like a fiend trying to get as much as I can from the different countries. Energy is 555k, metals is 662k, rares are 367k, oil is 522k and supplies are 134k. Honorable mention goes to cash ($5153) and Manpower (2994). So my stockpiles are literally huge right now.

My God, man! You could probably cease trading altogether and finish the game on that lot. Especially that money, get it spent. Good Lord.

Oppenheimer is still researching the Isotopic Separation Facility topic (32% done) and Traux is on the Flying Bomb (51% done). Raytheon is on the Improved Decimetric radar but it's progress is slow. (I really want better radar so my island outposts can detect enemies far enough out but I can see this may take too long to prove fruitful). Finally, I put Douglas Aircraft on a new Naval Bomber and it's only 14% done. I think Douglas is going to be just as slow as Boeing in researching aircraft, but I really want a better bomber to take care of enemy subs and such. Haven't decided what I want to research next. Maybe Imp. Computing or Prod Control/Prod Planning.

If you're researching topics before their historical year, be aware that they will start out slow, but get faster as their historical year approaches. I think the research modifier is -0.05 or -0.10 for each day ahead of the historical year you research. Having even the basic radar is good, just remember you have to build radar stations. I forgot, once. :)

Produced some more troops and had them move to San Diego. Then I stuffed them all on a group of ships and sent it out to Wake Island. It hasn't arrived yet and I waited a few months. Worse still, I can't seem to find where this convoy is either - there are no visual indicators on the map. It's like the whole kit and caboodle disappeared into a parallel dimension/black hole/Bermuda Triangle. How long does it take to move troops via a ship from San Diego to Wake? A year? Is there a way to recruit troops directly off Wake itself instead of having to move/transport them from the mainland? Also, how do I load troops onto a ship properly and what ship can I use?

Should only take a few weeks. To find the ships, go to the map screen and click here:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/shiplist.jpg

That'll bring up a list of your naval units. Clicking on each one will take you to where it is. To load troops onto a ship, you need some transports:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/trans.jpg

For each division, you need a flotilla of transports. 6 divisions, 6 transports. Move the troops and transports to the same province, click on the troops, then click the load button:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/load.jpg

Viola, as French musicians say. Then just select the 'sea transport' mission and pick a destination.

What am I doing wrong and how can I get into the green for IC?

Might just be because you've got a massive list to produce. Hover your cursor over the little factory symbol next to your IC numbers, see what the little tooltip/pop-up thingy says.

Good to see you knocked that dissent down to nothing, I was worried it was viva la revolucion time for you. :)

I'm sure you're all dying to know what I've been up to! Well, if not, prepare to lose the will to live!

A bombing raid on Sevastopol netted me some more Commie subs. That took bloody ages. I need to update my naval bombers, I don't think pedal power will take them much further.

Some partisans took over a province in Siberia. They are welcome to it.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/part.jpg

It's been all systems go in and around the Black Sea. I bombed some Romanian ships, and sunk them:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/byerum.jpg

That's my first actual clash with Axis forces since they declared war on me in 1941, more than six years ago.

Slapped some German aircraft around shortly afterwards:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/bombonbomb.jpg

Bombed and sank a Romanian fleet in their port of Tulcea:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/trulymighty.jpg

Had my naval bombers intercepted and torn a new bumhole by Red fighters:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/intercepted.jpg

And captured some provinces that looked like a German Shepherd with its ears pricked up:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/doghead.jpg

Apologies for the double post, image limit. Even the forum software is trying to shut me up.

I changed strategy, and instead of a broad front, probed into Soviet territory towards objectives along two narrow paths, dropping off divisions at each province to keep the way open behind me. Ended up going for Moscow and Stalingrad simultaneously. First one:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/thegrad.jpg

Then t'other:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/Moskva.jpg

Putting me into the lead as far as Victory Points go:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/vplist.jpg

Managing to cut off another load of Soviet forces didn't hurt either:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/carved3.jpg

Sloppier this time though, and constant probing attacks from outside are making it difficult to get around to crushing the forces inside the 'box', opening up gates for the trapped units to escape:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/broken.jpg

ATM I'm just trying to hold the perimeter while my tac bombers roam inside, slowly chipping away at the units there. They may be out of supply and without reinforcements, but they're tough and dug in.

One of the reasons I'm so interested in Zombie's game is that he's the US, squaring up to Japan. And currently, I'm Japan, and it seems the US is eyeing me:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/WHAT.jpg

Don't know what his game is, but he's been there a while, and there's more US activity in the Pacific altogether. I scrambled a fleet as a precaution:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/deter.jpg

Which paid off:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/bship.jpg

Total luck. I can hear Stalin from Tokyo, "Daaaamit, he zank my battlezhips!" God knows what two enemy battleships were doing tooling around in my ocean. How do you like your seawater, Ivan? Dark and cold as Hell, you say? Excellent!

My islands in the Pacific...well, here's a typical example:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/idefstrat.jpg

Small groups of tiny atolls, with the occasional bigger chunk of land here and there. My strategy in case of war with the US is going to be fairly simple. The bigger islands (Saipan, Iwo Jima, Palau, etc) are currently being built up to maximum in coastal fortifications, airbases, ports, anti-aircraft guns, and infrastructure. Each one is going to be fully capable of housing a fleet and squadrons of aircraft. Each one is going to be well-garrisoned with my most up to date infantry, augmented by a brigade of AA, artillery, or engineers. Probably engineers, they have the lowest IC cost and grant the largest Defence bonus.

American islands are going to be isolated by my fleets operating from my islands, and assaulted by infantry transported from my Home Islands. The Yanks won't be able to simply sail by my islands and head for Tokyo, because their supply convoys will never make it through the web of my naval patrols. Okay, my fleet is 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the Yank fleet. However, a good part of it has to be busy in the Atlantic and Mediterranean. I can also launch naval bombers from my island airbases, as well as fighters to shut down his naval bombers. But I reckon for that to be effective, I'd need more modern naval bombers, and maybe 2-3 times as many of them.

Crap.

Oh, I also discovered the atomic bomb:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/A-bomb.jpg

My God, man! You could probably cease trading altogether and finish the game on that lot. Especially that money, get it spent. Good Lord.

Well, you don't have to get snippy about the cash, mister. j/k :) To be honest, I don't really know what to spend that cash on. I tried to start a coup in a few countries like Germany and Japan and it never worked (doesn't even say if I failed or succeeded, but I assumed I failed because no pop-ups mentioned this). Plus it automatically deducts 50 points from my relations score with the country. I tried influencing a nation and it works by increasing the relation level to the country by 10 points, but it doesn't make sense to keep spending money on this aspect if the country is at least partially happy with you (+50 or so).

If you're researching topics before their historical year, be aware that they will start out slow, but get faster as their historical year approaches. I think the research modifier is -0.05 or -0.10 for each day ahead of the historical year you research. Having even the basic radar is good, just remember you have to build radar stations. I forgot, once. :)

Don't have to worry about that with me. I'm building radars on all the islands I own for an early-warning network and/or to keep a close eye on Japanese activity. Yup, I'm nervous about them. Real nervous.

Should only take a few weeks. To find the ships, go to the map screen and click here:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/shiplist.jpg

That'll bring up a list of your naval units. Clicking on each one will take you to where it is. To load troops onto a ship, you need some transports:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/trans.jpg

For each division, you need a flotilla of transports. 6 divisions, 6 transports. Move the troops and transports to the same province, click on the troops, then click the load button:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/load.jpg

Viola, as French musicians say. Then just select the 'sea transport' mission and pick a destination.

Thanks, apparently I never did send the troops to Guam after all - they were still loaded on a transport back in San Diego. Bummer. I sent them now though and it says the eta is something like 11 days.

Might just be because you've got a massive list to produce. Hover your cursor over the little factory symbol next to your IC numbers, see what the little tooltip/pop-up thingy says.

Like this?

Wasted: 1

Available: 265

Base: 294

Minister Effect: 29.4 (10%)

Tech Effect: 44.1 (15%)

Difficulty Effect: 117.7 (40%)

Peacetime Effect: -220.7 (-75%)

I do have a long list of things to produce but I didn't think that had an effect on capacity since those projects only start when the time is right. Scheduling work isn't the same as actually working on the the item. Guess I'm wrong about this too, but that's the way it should function.

Have a question about the production stack/queue/list. Do I need to manually arrange the items in the list so that they complete earliest to latest, or will the game look over the list and automatically complete the items that are scheduled to be done first? I've been wasting a lot of time in this screen lately and want to reduce the micromanagement. :)

Good to see you knocked that dissent down to nothing, I was worried it was viva la revolucion time for you. :)

Thanks to you, I have no problems in this area anymore. It took a long time to fix though. :)

- Zombie

Well, you don't have to get snippy about the cash, mister.

Jealousy, that's all it is. I'm like a alcoholic coming across undrunk liquor. "Drink it! I demand you drink it this instant! Or I will!"

To be honest, I don't really know what to spend that cash on. I tried to start a coup in a few countries like Germany and Japan and it never worked (doesn't even say if I failed or succeeded, but I assumed I failed because no pop-ups mentioned this). Plus it automatically deducts 50 points from my relations score with the country. I tried influencing a nation and it works by increasing the relation level to the country by 10 points, but it doesn't make sense to keep spending money on this aspect if the country is at least partially happy with you (+50 or so).

Well, relations go up to +200 and down to -200. Your relations affect everything you do with that country, so if you want a military alliance, military access, better trades, a non-aggression pact, etc, the higher your relations are the better chance you have. Funding coups...don't think I've ever even tried that. Perhaps each time you pay money it increases the dissent level of the target country? So you might have to keep at it to get a result, and even then it may just be some provinces revolting rather than an automatic change of government.

Like this?

Wasted: 1

Available: 265

Base: 294

Minister Effect: 29.4 (10%)

Tech Effect: 44.1 (15%)

Difficulty Effect: 117.7 (40%)

Peacetime Effect: -220.7 (-75%)

Yep, the major modifier there is the peacetime effect. Because you're at peace, your country isn't working anywhere near as hard as it can. Wartime production is real flat out stuff, so you'll gear up for it in stages (you'll get a 'gearing up for war' event when a country does something very naughty), or kiss it goodbye altogether if you go to war.

Have a question about the production stack/queue/list. Do I need to manually arrange the items in the list so that they complete earliest to latest, or will the game look over the list and automatically complete the items that are scheduled to be done first?

IC is assigned from the top down, so if you had 6 projects costing 20 IC each, but only 100 IC to go around, the first 5 would progress at full speed, while the sixth would only begin work once one of the previous projects was completed, freeing up the 20 IC necessary. It's colour-coded too, projects coloured green are going full speed, yellow ones have some IC but not the full amount, and red ones don't have any IC and are waiting.

--------------------------------

Japan's a bit of a challenge because it's resource-poor. You've seen me in this thread scrabbling for resources, even with considerable territorial conquest. So, lately, I've been getting into the western Soviet Union, and finally getting some extra IC, manpower and resources for my efforts (at long last). Oh, there were ups and downs, but I was chuffing along quite happpily, the Little Empire That Could. 51k energy, 50k metals, 15k rares (quite a comeback), 140k oil, 90k supplies and funds around the 100 mark. Not too shabby.

Or so I thought:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/after.jpg

Somewhere along the line, probably in Moscow or Stalingrad, I captured a SU stockpile. Thank you, ancestors.

Unfortunately, the Germans woke up:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/germstal.jpg

I'm within range of their strategic bombers, which, my intelligence tells me, are quite advanced. I managed to interrupt their next sortie:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/caught.jpg

But it was only made up of one squadron plus escort fighters.

A full-strength raid happened shortly after:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/bombed2.jpg

My attempts at air superiority were pathetic. Sixteen squadrons of fighters arranged into four flights. Each flight given an area to patrol. The Luftwaffe waltzed right past the lot. My patrols cruised the skies, humming to themselves, picking their noses and going :) while four squadrons of strategic bombers breezed by. I caught the blighters eventually though:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/bombed4.jpg

...But only because I told three flights to patrol the Black Sea simultaneously. Jerry was very nearly home free. Gave them a savaging, but they'll be back. Because I've ignored radar (not one of my better decisions, I know), my patrols basically just have to bimble about hoping to bump into an enemy. That's got to change. I always thought I'd be the one bombing, not the one being bombed. I'll add radar to the list. Even the most basic one's got to be better than my pilots playing hide and sodding seek. Oh, God damn you, Hitler:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/kerplunk.jpg

As to the slap in the face of being bombed, there's only one real reply to that:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/rocketreply.jpg

After I took Moscow, Uncle Joe moved his capital just a few provinces east, to Gorkij. So I'm taking that, too:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/gorkij.jpg

Also, the SU has no more access to the Black Sea. Sevastopol is surrounded:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/sevast2.jpg

Armed Forces Status

Air force

24 squadrons of tactical bombers - Deployed to Soviet Union, destroying trapped Soviet forces.

16 squadrons of naval bombers - 8 deployed to SU, Black Sea patrols. 8 based in Home Islands in case of war with the US.

8 squadrons of interceptors - Home Islands defence.

16 squadrons of fighters - Deployed to Soviet Union. Air superiority versus Soviet and German air forces. Idiots.

16 squadrons of Close Air Support - Deployed to SU, destroying trapped Soviet forces.

20 ballistic missiles - 6 deploying to SU for use against Germany, 14 based in the Home Islands to bombard US islands in case of war.

Navy

21 sub flotillas - Home Islands, in case of war with US or waiting for rebasing in the Middle East/Black Sea.

Fleets 1 to 5 - 18 ships each, nine capital ships, nine screens. Waiting in the Home Islands for war with the US or rebasing in the Middle East/Black Sea.

Fleet 6 - 4 ships built, rest currently under construction.

30 transports - waiting for troops to transport.

Army

202 infantry divisions - 176 deployed to SU, 14 manning Pacific islands, 12 Home Islands defence force.

6 cavalry divisions - policing provinces in China. To be disbanded and replaced. Eventually.

38 garrisons - policing provinces in China and the SU.

5 HQs - Deployed to SU.

Future requirements

A lot depends on whether I go to war with the US. If so, I need to double the size of my fleet and naval bomber force, upgrade them, man my islands with more troops, and build up their infrastructure, AA, ports, airbases and coastal fortifications. Currently, I'm only doing the latter, because, well...because it's the cheapest option, alright? I suspect war will happen, but only after the Allies vs Axis conflict is settled. And it's still stalemate in Europe, and it's late '47. I don't think I can beat the US in a purely naval war, their numbers advantage is considerable, their technology and doctrines more advanced, and thanks to WWII, their forces will be more experienced due to fighting in the Atlantic and Mediterranean. Plus, they keep doing this:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/spy.jpg

My only answer may be the atomic bomb.

Future production

Paratroopers - Nothing extravagant, just a small quick reaction force.

Radar - at key sites in the SU, all over the Pacific islands.

Ballistic missiles- currently producing one a week, may need double that. They're a stop gap until I get the atomic bomb, or more accurately, ICBMs with nuclear warheads, because I don't have any strategic bombers, so I don't have anything to drop an atomic bomb from. Another brilliant decision, admittedly.

Fleets - I can't hope to match the US in terms of numbers, (e.g. 58 carriers vs 16), but I can get up to about 50%, and that might be good enough for a defensive war, augmented by naval bombers.

Naval bombers - At least 8 more squadrons, plus several upgrades.

Apparently, three attacks which probably caused you more damage than your enemy counts as positive reinforcement. Well, to Corporal Adolf, it does:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/serious.jpg

Or, more likely, they were probes to test my (shoddy) defences and this is the real thing. At least three flights of strategic bombers this time, each one made up of four squadrons, complete with escort fighters. To combat them, eight squadrons of fighters, forged in the fires of combat (even if they are navigational virgins). The result, you ask?

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/beaten.jpg

Was there ever any doubt!

Fighters at near full stength look like this:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/fightfull.jpg

Red bar is their strength (no. of men/machines operational, etc, and the green bar is the unit's organisation, how cohesive they are etc.) After the 'fight' (thrashing), my fighters looked like this:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/fightruin.jpg

The flight, as a whole, knocked down below half strength, with a sliver of organisation left. And that's the flight that got off lightly, the other one was worse. Things weren't helped by my second flight of fighters cruising lazily around the dogfight before joining in. Essentially what happened was:

1) X Flight go up against 12 squadrons of strategic bombers (plus escorts) and lose.

2) Y Flight circle the dogfight, pulling faces and going "Ooooh, that's going to sting in the morning Takeshi!"

3) X flight retreats, soundly beaten. Y Flight decides this is their cue to fight.

4) See 1.

Oh, this is ridiculous.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/intol.jpg

Jesus Christ, is my air force capable of intercepting anything other than food and drink in the officer's mess? "Sushi and sake at nine o'clock, I'm going in! Om nom nom!"

Thankfully, my rocket engineers have a work ethic. Having deployed some ballistic missiles to Moscow, I can reach Ireland, if necessary:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/range.jpg

I mean, it probably won't be. I wasn't planning to bomb Ireland. I suppose if they start twisting shamrocks to look like swastikas or something... :)

Berlin, however, can get stuffed:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/retaliate.jpg

Bet that made Hitler fuhrerous.

I feel like chicken tonight. Chicken Kiev, that is. Ho ho!

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/chknkiev.jpg

Sorry. :)

And if the rest of my forces don't just fall over dead from people looking at them funny, I'm off to capture Leningrad as well:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/lening.jpg

You've just made my morning, FA. Priceless!

Always glad to amuse, squire. :)

Great progress overall! Though you may be stretching yourself a bit thin with Germany in such good shape and the US's noted picking and prodding...

You said it. If I really were any good at this game, I'd be showing pics of my secretly built uber forces and tucking one hand into my smoking jacket while smirking. Sadly, I don't have a smoking jacket, or any uber forces. In fact, I'm not even smirking. Your estimation is absolutely spot on. If the US went to war with me now, my armies would get home just in time to arrange a victory parade for them in Tokyo.

The current dilemma (apart from my pilots eating all the pies and avoiding combat) is this: I need to end the war with the Soviet Union. They won't listen to peace offers unless I surrender all (or too much) of my gains. I can conquer the remaining bit of the SU (a strain on my manpower you say? No, I've never had that before!) and annex the nation. This means that all the provinces belonging to the SU will belong to me. The SU will cease to exist. And because Poland is gone, that means I'll be sharing a border with your friend and mine (as long as you're not a Jew, gay, communist, gypsy, disabled, Polish, Slavic, Freemason, Catholic or indeed all of the above), Nazi Germany. The same result occurs if I manage to make the SU a puppet of mine.

Rommel and co. will be across the border before they finish screaming "Lebensraum!". I'll be on the end of some very long supply lines, facing a couple of hundred Herman divisions who have been waiting six years to fight me, backed up by a Luftwaffe that's harder than Himmler's prejudices. That would be quite bad.

Here's what worries me. Germany, by far the biggest power in the Axis (430 IC, next biggest is Italy with a whopping 86) has got the Allies deadlocked (UK 371 IC, US 500, plus about a dozen smaller nations chipping in what they can). Axis has 'home advantage' I suppose, controls most of the continent. But technically, they're at a disadvantage, with the Axis IC totalling 600-odd, and the Allies probably over 1k. How come they can afford to let about 20 squadrons of strategic bombers attack me? Why aren't they hitting the UK, Spain, the Mediterranean, North Africa etc? I'm obviously not the bigger threat...although then again I've made progress in the last four years. The Allies have only managed Sicily, Sardinia, Albania, Crete and Corsica. Hmm.

Ignoring the western theatre of operations, because I don't have enough problems; the US of A. They keep sending spies, and I keep killing them. Not often, but on a regular basis. Ships keep on parking by my islands. I keep scrolling over to them, watching them watch my islands, thinking "What? What are you looking at? WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" The thing is, I don't want to go to war with the US, certainly not now, and not until I put the SU down for good (and preferably obtain peace with Germany, fat chance). So not for the next few years.

But American activity has stepped up. Now, they're at war with the Axis, so why are they becoming busier in the Pacific? Who else is there? The UK, Portugal, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia and the Phillipines. Am I really supposed to think the US has had it up to here with Portugal rattling its sabre and bestriding the world like a colossus?

So, faced with a possible two-front war, I crack on as best I can in the west, and make preparations on a tight budget in the east. If any of you ladies and gents have any ideas, answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Well, good Sir, I guess it all boils down to how good exactly are you at Charleston in those fatigues... :)

I scarcely think you can avoid tangoing with the US at this juncture, so button up real good at the rear end or you're in for a sound whooping.

Here's something that came to mind, though: your subs - are they up to snuff? Those things might do as perimeter watchers and as elusive counters for most conventional naval threats (except for aircraft carriers) nosing around your inner circle.

Taking advantage of your latest developments on the rocketry and fission departments you might also go 'Banzai!' on the US with them as a last-ditch counter-offensive when things heat up. So, how about nuclear-powered subs with nuke payload delivery capabilities to take the fight to their turf? Tough pills to swallow at least.

Plus, are mine fields an option?

Just make sure your seafaring gourmet blokes don't use the reactor for cooking a round of shrimp... :)

::

Might I be so bold as to enquire what the British chaps are up to also? Or are the Jerries entirely not their cup of tea?...

- "My word, isn't that a jolly good show..."

- "I'll say..."

- "You don't suppose they're going to crash?"

- "They very well might at th- "

- "Blimey!"

*astonished looks* :)

- [cough] "I do believe they're making it atop your scones..."

- "Bugger; that's the trouble with these porches."

It's a Long Way to Tipperary... :)

- "My word, isn't that a jolly good show..."

- "I'll say..."

- "You don't suppose they're going to crash?"

- "They very well might at th- "

- "Blimey!"

*astonished looks*

- [cough] "I do believe they're making it atop your scones..."

- "Bugger; that's the trouble with these porches."

Pee Emm Ess Ell, sir. The British, as far as I can tell, are very busy in the north Atlantic and Mediterranean, and have invaded German-occupied Norway (didn't get very far, three provinces since 1943). They're no doubt engaging in other means of warfare versus the Axis, I suspect their strategic bombers are working overtime.

Here's something that came to mind, though: your subs - are they up to snuff? Those things might do as perimeter watchers and as elusive counters for most conventional naval threats (except for aircraft carriers) nosing around your inner circle.

I didn't even consider that. :) I envisaged using them wholly as a convoy raiding force. They've got the longest range of any ship in my navy as well. I could quite easily split up a fleet or two, disperse them, and use them as scouts, an early warning system, and sink any transports or capital ships that aren't guarded. Bloody good job you lot are around to have ideas for me...

Taking advantage of your latest developments on the rocketry and fission departments you might also go 'Banzai!' on the US with them as a last-ditch counter-offensive when things heat up. So, how about nuclear-powered subs with nuke payload delivery capabilities to take the fight to their turf? Tough pills to swallow at least.

Another good point. I need nuclear missile warheads anyway, as I've got no strategic bombers, so atomic bombs are useless. Just noticed that Germany is one step behind me in nuke research. That and the fact that I am quite obviously in range of their strategic bombers is a tad worrying. Although I'll get the A-bomb first, they might be able to use it first. :)

Plus, are mine fields an option?

They're included in the coastal/land fortifications you can build in each province as general defensive measures. All my Pacific islands are getting the maximum (level 10) coastal forts, and I may do the eastern coast of the Home Islands too.

Just make sure your seafaring gourmet blokes don't use the reactor for cooking a round of shrimp...

-"Shrimp is supposed to glow in the dark."

"Isn't that plankton, chef?"

-"Shut up and eat it before I fetch my katana."

In my game, the Japanese are eyeing me up over in Guam and the Philippines too. Every once and a while my radars catch a Japanese aircraft carrier patrolling near Guam, but other than looking, they don't seem to be that interested in my islands... yet. (Of course, I'm only in late 1938). Could just be random luck that I see the Japanese fleet since they own a lot of the islands in the Pacific right now. :)

The game may just be deciding that intelligence gathering is more fruitful than actually pulling the trigger and going to war with another superpower. The US is probably weighing the pros and the cons of war right now, not amassing a fleet to destroy you. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but I'd keep a watchful eye on their movements and relation number nonetheless. I'm sure they aren't too interested in a two front war either.

Like I said before, it's 1938 in my game and not much is actually happening. I'm thinking of investing a little in improving the infrastructure in my country just in case war spills over to the mainland (it's possible since this is my first campaign and I'm bound to make some giant mistakes). My thought is to first increase the infrastructure of the coastal "states" to 100% so that there is an uninterrupted supply line around the perimeter. Phase 2 is to bisect the nation down the Mississippi River by increasing infrastructure to 100%. (Most of my factories are located deep within the Midwest: aka Wisconsin and Illinois to protect against bombing attacks, so a high infrastructure will allow materials to flow easily to the south of the country. Phase 3 is to bisect in the opposite direction down the Missouri and Ohio river valleys. This way, the country is divided into 4 easy to manage "zones", each with access to the high central production area of the midwest. Aye, I've heard of the saying: "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", and I suppose centralized production is just asking for a tactical nuclear strike, but I'm betting nobody will get close enough to try if it's up to me. This is just an attempt to create a defensible perimeter much like a circle of wagons or bison. Need I mention the oceanic perimeter will have radars, coastal and land forts too? My only worry is that this will put a big drain on my supplies.

Here's a question: is it advisable to increase the infrastructure of my islands to 100%? If the island isn't "attached" to another island in a chain (like Midway, Wake or Guam), then I'm guessing it's a waste. But certainly Hawaii is a candidate for improvement.

- Zombie

Like I said before, it's 1938 in my game and not much is actually happening.

That's one of the good things about playing the US, it's not allied to anyone and going to war (and with who) is entirely your choice. This gives you time to get to grips with running things during peace time, which can be a challenge anyway.

My thought is to first increase the infrastructure of the coastal "states" to 100% so that there is an uninterrupted supply line around the perimeter.

This is a good idea. Not sure about doing it in the interior though. Movement would be sped up by the increase, but it'll still be quicker to use transports or strategically redeploy (CTRL + right click, destination has to be on the same land mass though). Beware the lure of strategic redployment, it looks like a lovely way to move units about quickly, but it takes up a bit of TC for every unit you move. Plus, redployed units usually have low organisation, and can't be put into combat straight away with much success.

Here's a question: is it advisable to increase the infrastructure of my islands to 100%? If the island isn't "attached" to another island in a chain (like Midway, Wake or Guam), then I'm guessing it's a waste. But certainly Hawaii is a candidate for improvement.

If there's going to be fighting, or just a fair few forces posted there, it's definitely worth it. Infrastructure speeds up organisation regain, so say your garrison on Midway gets bombed and loses 20 points of ORG. They'll regain it twice as quickly at 100% IS than at 50% IS. Infrastructure also affects effective supply efficiency, the higher the infrastructure the higher the ESE of any units in that province will be. ESE can also be boosted by a HQ unit (increased even more if the officer in charge of the HQ is a General or Field Marshal with the Logistics Wizard skill, and also reduces fuel and supply usage by 25% when stationary). HQs are expensive to produce, but they boost the ESE and combat performance of any ground units in the same or adjacent provinces. So they can save you a bit on supplies, and make your armies fight better.

Must remember that Romania is part of the Axis:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/2provinces.jpg

If I go two provinces west, a tide of Feldgrau will wash me away. Note to self, don't go two provinces west.

Yes, it's another Russian winter, so the supplies slider really starts to take the piss:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/ridiculesup.jpg

To think, I used to sneer whenever it went over 100, back in the good old days when all I had to worry about was the whole of Asia.

Speaking of which, Manchuko, Mengkuko and Siam are now really starting to take the mickey when it comes to trades. Fair enough, they're giving me their surplus of this and that, 1.3 oil here, 0.4 rares there, but Siam alone is on the end of 50 supplies. They're all getting propped up by yours truly. I should have kept them as puppets, the uppity swines. Anyway, because I'm an essentially kind-hearted dictator, I've shared the wealth of my recent conquests, 10 power and 5 metal to each for free. Not that they'll appreciate it. Bastards.

That's a bloody aircraft carrier:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/carrwat.jpg

That's it, I'm pushing the panic button. Redeploying ballistic missiles to the Pacific islands, recalling my naval bombers from the SU, spreading my fleets out, and my subs are off to the eastern Pacific for some torpedo 'practice'.

No sooner have I done that:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/ohdear-1.jpg

In the words of Celine Dion, this is getting seeee-rious.

ICBM research 40%, atomic bomb 71%. After that, there are three more nuclear weapon projects I need to research before I can fit missiles with nuclear warheads. It may be quicker just to research strategic bombers, produce a few squadrons, and get them to drop The Bomb. Trying to work it out now.

Yeah, you better run:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/betrun.jpg

Well, got 3 new aircraft carriers coming out soon, going to start producing another 16 squadrons of naval bombers once I finish researching the upgrade, research radar, improved static AA guns, supersonic fighters, and superheavy aircraft carriers. Build more naval and air bases on my islands, or increase existing ones in size to maximum.

Imperial Nipponese Spy Organisation - Le Espionage (INSOLE) intelligence report

US armed forces strength estimates:

US Army - 186 infantry divisions, 45 armoured divisions.

US Army Air Force - 7 fighter squadrons, 17 bomber squadrons.

US Navy - 22 Battleships, 60 aircraft carriers, 390 smaller ships.

And me thinking you had a soft spot for American flyboys... :)

::

Time to break out the Zeros for a bit of nosedive action? If they already have Hellcat fighters, though, forget it: no 'lice'.

- "No lice?! Me no fight on empty stomach, Sensei."

While you're at it, FA: restock on 'sake' - your pilots will need it to keep a straight tune.

And me thinking you had a soft spot for American flyboys...

I do, hence the increased and improved AA guns. I don't want them to have to suffer crashing, that long wait to come down. I want them to just blow up in mid-air.

While you're at it, FA: restock on 'sake' - your pilots will need it to keep a straight tune.

They've got to be good at something. Sake reserves, I'm glad to say, are at an all-time high thanks to a record rice crop in China, plus keeping them flying patrols constantly reduces their intake, they can only drink as much as they can fit in the cockpit. Already had two beheaded for the misuse of auxiliary fuel tanks.

Romanian motto: "Anything Germany can do, we can do better!"

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/sodtht.jpg

Japanese motto: "Can your ancestors sew? Then stitch this one, gaijin!"

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/jpmot.jpg

My God, my fighters gave the Roms a shoeing and came out the other side untouched:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/untouched.jpg

Don't tell me they were flying under the influence of sobriety. Something very wrong there.

What's going on?

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/comingforyou.jpg

I just don't understand! Who are you people, and what have you done with my pilots?

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/c4u3.jpg

Did you think my response was over, Doughnuts?

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/guesswat.jpg

91% of your infrastructure gone, eh? Tsk, what a shame...I see Wilhelmshafen lost 94% too. I am so terribly sorry, how clumsy of me to launch a ballistic missile into your country. Twice. In two hours. By accident.

My tally of ships sunk so far isn't too bad, considering I've had hardly any naval battles:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/sunkrec.jpg

All those warriors arrayed in the opposing armies shall be slain.

- The Bhagavad Gita

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/A-bomb-1.jpg

@Zombie: Status report, general! What are you producing, what strategy are you going to pursue and how? You're a thorough kinda guy, if you haven't tweaked the fine details I'll eat my kimono! :)

@Zombie: Status report, general! What are you producing, what strategy are you going to pursue and how? You're a thorough kinda guy, if you haven't tweaked the fine details I'll eat my kimono! :)

Still researching the same things as seen in my previous post. Here's the pic:

https://www.postimage.org/gx1vdi1A.jpg

I've decided to go with the Improved Computing topic next as it supposedly gives me a 5% increase in research speed. That should help to crank out the rest of the topics I want in a timely fashion.

My production schedule is quite a mess and a lot of stuff is buried in there. I need to clean it out to remove some useless things (like land forts on orphaned islands). What's staying is infrastructure improvement on Guam, Midway, Wake and the Hawaiian island chain. Also I have Anti Aircraft fortifications scheduled on those islands as well as radars and coastal forts. This way my directly controlled outposts can keep tabs in the Pacific. Later I might do the same with the Philippines. Let's see, I have 4 more Missile Test sites which need to be built in Las Vegas and Reno Nevada (as close as I want to get to White Sands missile testing range since I want to save that area of New Mexico for the nuclear program - bomb testing that is, nuclear test piles will be built in Chicago as was the original). :) I also have a slug of new factories scheduled to be built to hopefully alleviate some of the 75% reduction in peacetime production. *grumbles* :) Hmmm, then there are some more troops and 2 aircraft carriers: USS Enterprise (whoo hoo!, the Enterprise sails again!) and the USS Wasp. After this mess has been straightened out, then it's time to start producing some submarines.

The reason for the lack of overall progress in the game is because I was doing some testing on diplomacy. Seems as though it's nearly impossible for anyone to start a Coup in Japan because it's Foreign Minister (Sato Naotake) has a -667 (-1000) rating for Coup. Apparently Japan was so closely ruled that it was impossible for any country to stage one. I also found out that the game will tell you if a coup was successful or not at the bottom of the View Map screen in the shaded announcements box. Influencing a nation increases your relations by 10 points automatically and it is probably more useful than the Coup in the long run since it keeps the country happy with you, so I'm probably going to try to get Japan and Germany on my good side initially. That's where my money is going to go unless you have a better idea on how to spend it properly...

My strategy is going to be purely defensive in nature to begin with. I want to improve my infrastructure as well as manufacturing to prepare for the inevitable. Radars and forts are also important to have. Economic warfare will play a role too; I need to trade a lot to amass a giant stockpile of supplies like metals, oil, and rare materials. If I scoop up all the available materials out there, that means the other countries have less and are going to be stunted in that area. Of course, I'm only doing this for the "enemies" of the United States in WWII: Italy, Germany and Japan to name the biggies - the other friendly countries can keep what they have unless I need it more than they do. :)

If I ever get dragged into the global conflict, I'm going to try submarine warfare like you mentioned as well as some decent squads of naval bombers to take down any enemy ships. Once my nuclear program is running at full, the shift will be to more offensive in nature. Direct nuclear strikes with long range bombers or nuclear tipped ICBMs (urm, just missiles in this case) will be in the works. Japan should be a little easier to finish off than Germany since my outpost in the Philippines is within striking distance of Japan. Germany may be a little harder to take out since my nearest outpost is in Liberia. This means someone will need to give me access to their land to set up shop. Maybe I can convince Italy to give me a hand. :)

- Zombie