Bugs,crashes,and other creepy crawlies

Well,my NEW game has took ANOTHER plunge! :D

I went into one of my squaddies' inventories to change a weapon,and the damn game froze and went back to Windows.I understand there is that famous Wargot spaceship bug,but this too?,man,this is getting BAD!

I am daunted at the prospect of doing all the work again,to probably (hope not) not having the StarGhost trigger occur.

We ought to name and shame all the insects to be found in this game,least that way we sort of prepare or avoid them,if possible.

I have 1.2 version by the way.

I have just this minute experienced the very same bloody crash bug that affected my last session!,only this time it happened when I merely added a Psionic into one of my squads :D

Whats going on with this game?,there seem to be more problems in it than there are positives,even though I STILL like the game (thats dedication for you).

Having said that,it IS my only crash of the night,after about 12hrs playing.

Anyhow,I agree with AT,we MUST pin this topic and aqquire as much info as possible on this very serious subject.

Just found another bug *this is ridiculous now* :)

This can happen totally out of the blue like it has just done for me.

When beginning a new session of UFO sometimes the game may suddenly decide not to even get past the initialization screen,instead it will return with a pathetic "UFO has encountered a problem,would you like to send a report to...you know who".The screen also appears to go into safe mode with corrupted colours ect.

This went on for about 30 mins,so,I decided to reinstall the f###ing game AGAIN while keeping my profile folder.I restarted the game and the same damn thing happened again!.I went into my main UFO folder and decided to take a pot shot and remove the old profilesnfo folder,and guess what,it worked.

So,the profilesnfo folder sometimes seems to randomly become corrupt :D

Is this what we deserve?!.

I tell you what,this is SERIOUSLY testing my patience now!.

I've said it before and i'll say it again,Altar had better do us justice next February!

Goodnight.

That last problem may not necessarily just be a problem with Aftershock entirely. I've had something similar happen to other games as well. Something's causing it get into a general protection fault and dumping you to that dialogue box. The colour anomalies are just there because the screen hasn't properly been restored.

This could very well be a faulty installation, your hardware isn't entirely compatible (try lowering some of your settings, if possible) or there's some software running in the background that's conflicting with it. I know, that isn't much help. It's quite hard to pin down, actually. Happens a lot with my copy of Battlezones I and II on my new PC, but they work like a breeze on ye olde laptoppe, sans the shading.

But if it happens persistently to the point of not being able to play the game, it really puts you off, doesn't it?

- NKF

It must be linked to the profilesnfo folder,because even after rebooting the system the problem is still there.As far as the system itself everything is compatible because I built it myself hehe :D

My graphics card is an ATI X800 by the way,with full settings (no problems before).

I THINK the problem first started when I tried to change from 4 X AA to 6 X AA .

I deleted the offending folder and UFO creates a new one anyway.

Game is fine...for now.

Cheers.

Afternoon.

Just found 2 more bugs in the game (I could open my own exotic insects business here! :D ).Oh well,here we go.

This particular shot shows me about to deploy on a capture mission,but guess what?,the target was already lying dead on the floor surrounded by a large blank gray area that was impassable!, abruptly ending my little incursion before I even tasted the foul air outside! :(

This second one isnt too serious,but just shows you some of the graphical glitches that are sometimes present,some of them you probably wouldnt even notice,but being a perfectionist I tend to scrutinize every detail >:]

Other than that,no CTDs today :)

ATTENTION! bloody Imageshack server is down AGAIN!,so I will upload the images later tonight if I can. (damn)

• 2 years later...

It is true that ALTAR itself is not going to make any more patches for Aftershock. However, when I started developing patches for UFO: Afterlight, they were nice enough to give me access to UFO: Aftershock's source codes as well. So there will eventually be a proper v1.3 patch for Aftershock :)

Here is a list of issues I'm planning to fix in my first UFO:AS patch:

• Pillars of Death sometimes spawn outside the tactical map rendering the mission impossible to complete
  • If all militia units die in a base defence mission you lose automatically
  • It's only possible to research items that have been auto-collected at the end of the mission (manufactured items or items in soldiers' inventories don't count)
  • It's possible to throw grenades over walls in interior missions
  • It's possible to use items without researching their corresponding handling techs first
  • Enemy detection icons (! and ?) disappear when you switch to inventory screen

The patch will also remove the DVD check from the game (just like the first fan-patch for UFO:AL did).

It is true that ALTAR itself is not going to make any more patches for Aftershock. However, when I started developing patches for UFO: Afterlight, they were nice enough to give me access to UFO: Aftershock's source codes as well. So there will eventually be a proper v1.3 patch for Aftershock :)

Here is a list of issues I'm planning to fix in my first UFO:AS patch:

• Pillars of Death sometimes spawn outside the tactical map rendering the mission impossible to complete
  • If all militia units die in a base defence mission you lose automatically
  • It's only possible to research items that have been auto-collected at the end of the mission (manufactured items or items in soldiers' inventories don't count)
  • It's possible to throw grenades over walls in interior missions
  • It's possible to use items without researching their corresponding handling techs first
  • Enemy detection icons (! and ?) disappear when you switch to inventory screen

The patch will also remove the DVD check from the game (just like the first fan-patch for UFO:AL did).

Very good news, thanks for your continued work on this fun game.

there will eventually be a proper v1.3 patch for Aftershock :)

You even have enough other bugs to go to v1.9 lol

I think that's already in the Trilogy. Thank for the others.