AP ammo research problems, says i need a .50 cal

Doctoxic

Not sure if this is a bug but it says i do not have a .5 cal weapon when i look under researching AP ammo. Now i have already manufactured a .50 cal Sniper rifle and can make .5 cal ammo so why can't i research AP Ammo.

I don't have medious armour researched but that only speeds things up and is not a must.

Is there another .50 cal gun i need to get, and if so what and who has them?

Thanks

Doc

There's a bug - apparently only 'found' weapons count for this purpose, not manufactured items. At least, I consider this a bug.

There's a workaround (which is also a bug IMHO); take your .50-cal out on a mission, drop it on the ground, and pick it up again. Should count as a 'found' weapon at mission's end.

Maybe they thought the tree was setup such that you wouldn't be able to make a .50-cal before you'd find one, but either way, that's the (current) story. Hope that helps :(

As I've said elsewhere, I'd really have done the ammo thing differently.

You should have a research item for each caliber (fairly short) - after which, you can manufacture that ammo type, whether you can produce weapons that take the caliber or not. It's fairly self-evident that one can learn to make bullets without knowing how to make any guns that shoot them.

Next, you should be able to research an ammo TYPE (AP/Flechette/explosive) once you have found some ammo of that type. This should take a little longer, but once done you should be able to manufacture ammo of that type in ANY caliber which you already know how to manufacture. I realize this is harder to implement - what if I know how to make 5.56, 9mm, 7.62, and AP, but only then do I find a .50? The game would have to know to unlock .50 and .50AP when I've finished the .50 research, but not thereafter.

Maybe there should be short research items for every combination of caliber and type. Lots of items, but make them fairly short...

-X

• 3 weeks later...
I have the same problem, i've researched the ammo, but can't research advanced human weapons. I have sniper rifles, and dropped them as you said, but still no research change. Which weapon should i drop to trigger the research? Are there any missions where you should get those weapons easily?

Hmm....(spoiler may be included)

Do you have any weapons belonging these weapon calibers?

You must have all types of weapon (just one of each type NOT all of the weapons) to research AP ammo

9x19 mm: Desert Eagle pistol, Uzi, MP-5, Colt SMG.

5.56x45ish mm: HK-33 rifle, M-4 rifle, XM-8 rifle

7.62x39 russian: AK-47 rifle, PKM machinegun

.50 : M82A1 Barrett rifle

7.62x56 NATO: SR-25 rifle, MSG90 rifle, M60E3 machinegun (might not be needed for research....Not sure)

If you can make them, make one of each caliber, then take them out on a mission in someone's packs (squad screen, equipment panel) and just dump them somewhere in the mission and play it through to the end. Either that or start raiding Cult held provinces and pray your squad is powerful enough to survive to see through the mission, or at least kill/KO a cultist, grab their guns and evac.