The Movie Thread

Slaughter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hunger Games 1 and 2; both quite watchable. Don't expect something completely different, it is a story of Rome, oppressing the provinces and living on their account, but set in the future - and not in Rome. A very weird attempt of keeping people happy are death matches, set in an arena with controlled environment. Each of 12 (remaining) districts must pledge two contenders, more or less killing them in effect, as only one (of 24) is allowed to survive in the arena. The end of part two gets a bit too Hollywoody and is too clearly not a finished story. Goggling link for you guys, I found out two more movies are coming, which explains a lot.

Jennifer Lawrence is adorable, love her.

Ender's game. I had high hopes for this one, but it is not THAT good. Humanity looks for an emotionally detached strategical genius to save us from seemingly pending alien invasion, which unsurprisingly makes them look at children. Those are used to playing games and see units in a game of strategy as assets, not crews and their families. I don't like the acting of the Asa Butterfield, I don't find him even remotely as convincing as, for instance, Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense. Which I hope you've seen. Otherwise, DO IT NOW, NOW, it is a superb movie.

Anyway, back to Ender. The final scenes are complete crap, so "righteous and nice", so incompatible with military, human nature and so forth, one may have a problem watching.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...