The Movie Thread

Slaughter

I just saw Batman The Dark Knight Rises. Didn't grip me right out like TDK, but it actually ended up quiet good. And the way that the writers, Chris Nolan, and Christian Bale, left the ending for someone else to step into the role of Batman, is great. And Bane, that was awesome.

The Dark Knight Rises.

Very gripping, very fun, kept me awesome'd the whole movie.

The plot, however, is so so; I didn't quite understand's the villain's plan, actually when I think about it, it made absolutely little sense, if any at all.

The performances are good all around, with the exception of, again, Batman. I HATE the way Christian Bale does Batman's voice, it's so stupid! It doesn't make him sound or look cool or threatening, it makes him seems silly, and the suit still looks bulky and silly.

I'm not sure why Batman is in the shape he is when the movie starts, never quite explained.

Overall a good superhero movie; as a movie (without the "superhero" constraint) it's so so. Bane is a great supervillain, very threatening, though the way he is portraited at the ending is disappointing. The rehash of certain plot devices from the first movie is disappointing.

And WTF is up with Robin showing up? He's not even Robin, he's a guy named whose 'legal name' is Robin, and he's never a sidekick to Batman, that is pretty pointless and disappointing since there is no payoff.

In an interview with Chris Nolan, he says that there would never be a Robin in his movies. I personally thought that was a good idea, and the movie actually made sense, to me. I also thought that Christian Bale could have done a better Batman voice. Or they could have just used something to disguise the voice. Before I move on, I was saying that the storyline made sense to me. And I like the fact that they left things open with the end, so someone else can step up and play Batman.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the way the bottom-right corner says "Artwork TBC". They must realise that a grainy image on the front of a Blu Ray box won't help sales.

Theoretically though, the vast majority of people buying it on Blu Ray will already have seen it or heard about how good it is anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read that today, I think it's wonderful news! but, of course, as SV says, if they don't destroy the franchise with a shitty sequel.

The idea of Arnold reprising his original Conan role, but an aged Conan, is fantastic; a remake would have been stupid (I didn't bother watching the newest one, Conan will always be Arnold in my heart :)), but a sequel showing an old Conan ruling his own kingdom, as mentioned in the ending of Conan The Barbarian, is a must see for me.

Paranormal Activity was a fun, and effective, horror movie; it was simple and mostly subtle; it was fun.

Paranormal Activity 2 upped the ante, it added more jump scares, explained a bit of the events that led to the first movie, and shows you what happened shortly afterwards. More special effects this time around, things get less subtle, but good.

Paranormal Activity 3 added more to the story, explaining more or less the origins of everything, with mixed success. Much less effective than previous two movies, but still some scares all around. I am not sure why people carried giant cameras everyplace they went in that movie, no reasonable explainations are given, feels a bit forced.

Paranormal Activity 4 does nothing for the story, and is not really scary at all. The skype camera thing is clever, but badly, badly used. The kinect tracer rays idea could have been good, but it was eventually misused and ineffective. The ending, instead of being climatic, is a mess. Are all adults in this movie f***ing morons?

I just read that a Paranormal Activity 5 has been confirmed for 2013..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I raise you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

Every man and his dog on the web said the bad guy would be Khan, and I didn't thnk so. Now they're saying Gary Mitchell, and that doesn't make sense in the slightest! My money is firmly on Garth of Izar and this film is his back-story set in the alternate timeline where they can afford to do his story and shift events around a bit to suit themselves. Plus that article has "into darkness" mentioned in the opening paragraph, so I reckon it's plausible that the writers read up on him and saw that smile.png

Put into an asylum in TOS for attempted genocide? He's easily bonkers enough to be the film's villain, but what I would like the most is if future Spock tips them off (maybe off-screen since getting Mr Nimoy in again would be expensive) that he's a bad egg... unlikely I know but I can dream.