Is it a ghost? Is it a stealth soldier? NO ITS A BUG!

Viceman

Anyone else noticed this? Some enemies just cant be seen, until they open fire. Many times my main hero is died during fight and i had to load game. After i loaded, i knew exact spot where enemy is, i walked right next to him, but i cant see him?! :roll: No my soldier is not blind, in full health. I walk around that spot and no, enemy wont show up. When i end my turn enemy appears next to me and kills me.. :twisted:

losing my nerves with these fellas.

This is a side effect of random rolls. You are going to get situations where stupid stuff happens. Basically a check is being made to see if you spot them, and your rolls are failing when they probably shouldn't.

I've only had it happen twice in the campaign, and I've played through once and am over half way through a second one.

hmm, this is just the case of someone with a high hide roll versus your low spot check right? like when I first bumped into the grenade toting/shuriken throwing guys (whilst I was level 1 of course - erk), I didn't spot the guy on the left, under the trees, until my sniper walked next to him, at which point in time he threw a few shuriken at point blank range!

hmm, this is just the case of someone with a high hide roll versus your low spot check right?  like

Nope its not that, i even tried to move my whole squad to see enemy. No one didnt spot him. Even if he was surrounded by my men. And they were SIDE TO SIDE. And once again when i end my turn, he just appears there and starts shooting... dammit muthafukka. :twisted:

Another thoing I have noticed is that some maps will spawn new enemies.

Perhaps you are at a spawn point... a bit bloody annoying if it is.

Is it near the edge of the map?

Nope its not even on egde, middle of factory. I'll post few screenies when i get to home.

[whine] Goddammit i hate my work, atleast my work times.. I should be drinking beer right now, but instead im drawing some ambulance pictures. :? [/whine] :roll:

Another thoing I have noticed is that some maps will spawn new enemies.

Perhaps you are at a spawn point... a bit bloody annoying if it is.

Is it near the edge of the map?

Argh! Yes! Maps spawns enemies... i learned it in the hard way: i had both grenadier and medic deeply wounded (you know, bandaged but unable to use weapons) so i sent them near the exit zone to keep them away from the fight, but after 3 turns 3 enemies entered the sector just 2cm behind them and happily opened burst fire!! :?

i've had this happen to me twice, both in the Allied campaign. First time was in a tiny little shed in a random mission, and my character didn't spot the enemy until the second time he had fired, even though I was standing right in front of me. :x The second was ina room in a story mission. My scout walked right around the guy, but still couldn't see him until I end my turn and got shot. :x

Not only can you sometimes not see them, apparently they don't see you sometimes at the same time.

I was kidnapping the head of a factory. I entered the room, shot him, then sent in my medic to carry him out. The enemy suddenly appeared and finally reacted by killing the medic. When I reloaded I moved into the room again and this time saw the red sillouette and the ear icon. No matter what I did or where I stood I couldn't see him, but again when I ended my turn he appeared and shot me.

As someone above suggested, I used a grenade to resolve this problem.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I've noticed this symptom you guys talk about also. Especially in the mission with the Japanese officer with the Katana.

But let me point out that I believe that some of them are actually IN THE TREES until they spot you and that's when the drop down . That's why even with 80+ spot your guys can't see anyone until they come down and fire at you.

But can you hit them while they are in the tree? YES, i use a SMG or MG and fire at the tree. The tree you say? YES THE TREE. If they are in it, the tree will start bleeding. haha. and when the tree is destroyed, their body will come tumbling down. It's weird but I did that and it worked for me.

As for the shed incident and stuff I dunno how to explain that, . are there barrels or places they can stand on?

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a bug so much as a slight logic error, but I've found out that the best way to deal with that is to play it safe: if my spotter can't get a visual, everyone who can will get the heck out of the way.

I've tried to rationalize it before; maybe the guy's moving fast and you can't get a bead on him, or maybe he's just in everyone's blind spot. In any case, grenades and cover are the safer options.

I have also run into this red silhouette and ear icon situation. It has also occurred in the open front quarter middle of the map with no trees or buildings. But even if the computer ai is hidden on the ground or in the trees it adds up to sandbagging the player. In a first person perspective game you could hide an opponent in a tree or on the ground, but this game has an almost top down perspective that limits your ability to see a hidden opponent much less know that he has climbed a tree. The red silhouette and ear icon as far as I can tell looks like it is on the ground like all the others. All the player knows is that he can see the enemy while being shot to pieces. Then on the players turn the enemy that was in plain sight turns into the red silhouette and ear icon and has effectively denied the player his turn. Unless you have a grenade to try your luck with. Perspective

But even if the computer ai is hidden on the ground or in the trees it adds up to sandbagging the player.

Considering some of the nasty things I've done to enemy AI, I'd hesitate to call it sandbagging so much as payback. :) I almost want to applaud the hidden guy for making it as far as he did before getting blown up (as a precaution); I've taken scouts on similar "endurance runs", occasionally with similar results in my favor. And since it's easy enough to avoid or blow up a ghosted potential AI on my turn, I don't worry so much about it.

I've had this issue a couple times.

One mission I had the game saved just before I started exploring. I turned a corner and got blitzed by Mr. Invisible. I didn't ever get to see him. *Load* So I go back to the corner, and as soon as I turn it, I hit the 'Enter' button to engage in combat... Still no foe. So I start using the 'Look' command all around me. After about 15 seconds of spinning around with 'Look' (Thanks for Free Look, whoever thought of that!) during my turn, I finally spotted him, 10 feet away on a set of stairs. Enter Mr. Suomi and start spraying.

The second time was just odd. I heard a soldier moving around on the stairs above my character, so I whip out my SMG and lay into the shadow with full auto. The shadow doesn't move, but the stairs collapse, and a SMG, two clips and a grenade come bouncing down to meet me... But no body. I climb upstairs, and no body. I'm staring at the shadow, 2 feet away, and nothing. I search all around and can't find anything. I can't figure that one out.

There's a third oddity I encountered with hovering things, though. I spied a car in a garage over a basement and got curious. I shot the floor out from under the car and after everything had crumbled away, the car was just floating there... Defying logic. I guess they didn't program in physics for cars. Shame I didn't have the foresight to take a screenshot.

I can understand the randomness involved in rolling to 'see' the foe. I can also get that I won't see a shadow unless I hear him move, and if he stands still I'll never know he's there before it's too late ... But when I'm staring right at some guy dressed up in a grey SS uniform, who's casually standing on a stairwell 10 feet from me ... You'd think I'd 'see' him.

I guess they didn't program in physics for cars..

XD The car thing is hilarious.

Maybe there was a mysterious hanging pixel (texel?) holding the car up. Objects that they expect to move tend to have an established "floor" location (usually just a point) where the object rests, which explains why guns sometimes whirl mysteriously halfway through the ground, trying to find "the flat end".

And really, I almost can't blame them for not anticipating that someone would manage to rip the floor out from under a car. Classic.

I almost can't blame them for not anticipating that someone would manage to rip the floor out from under a car.

Yeah - That's me all over in any game. I have a knack for finding really oddball things and seeing if I can get away with them.

I think it was a random encounter, too... I don't recall any objectives. I'll have to see if I can find it and duplicate it. I would almost say it was in the third area you get available, somewhere in the southeastern section... I'll play around eventually and see.