***SEMI-SPOILER**** Now thats a bad guy!

barryqq

AKA thanks for handing me my @$$ back.

In random missions, if you find that everything is suddenly turn base, but there are no enemies visible, you may have just run into "Renegade Soldiers". I don;t see them in the unit list, but they're definately Elite.

I wandered into the screen, a nice feild, with a road, and a deadwood fence. Sneaking around, in turn-based, thinking I have a bug or something, but then I spot a Brit, in a blue turban, standing nonchalantly in the middle of the road..........

next thing I know, grenades are turning my squad into a fine mist of blood and bone chips. 6 enemies, in total, slowly becoming visible when they attack. First they throw a grenade, then follow it up with Shurikens, and when you zoom in, yup they are dressed somewhat like ninjas. As far as I can tell, the "Renegade Soldiers" shadow my units, invisibly, and wait until you spot the officer, which instantly triggers the attack. Hope I run into these guys at a higher level.

1 turn = 3 deaths, 1 incapacitated, and 2 barely ticking mercs.

Am I the only one lucky enough to find these guys?

heheh, nice Spoiler :(

I've JUST come across these guys in a regular mission. They're not so tough.. if you spot them first, but they do have some nice weapons.

I'll have to do more random missions though, I hjear there are some weapons ONLY available from random missions!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, having beat the game on AXIS now, I can say these guys are unique to northern Britain.

I managed to charge the officer, and he hit me with something I only ever saw in one other place. You know that REALLY BIG knife the person you kill in the finale drops? The one you never get to use? Well, that officer was smacking me around with it!!!!

Now I;m replaying an ALLIES - Hard, so once I get a little better, I;m headed back to N. Britain to see if i can;t pick it up.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, it's a random mission though. and ONLY appears if you have sufficient levels to handle guys.
I belive it appears anytime... but only in one specific location (someone on the Nival forums suggust it's near the '6' on the map...?)

BTW: I ran into these guys with my greenhorn group... even before I did any other mission. Turned my group of three level 2 troops into a fine red mist in 2 turns :P

In North Britain/Skotland, just in front of Allied mission one. A random map. Be at least level 5. Heavy battle against grenade.

The officer with THE katana (best melee weapon of the game) is very ghost like and can even not "appear" at all. Youll will have to go around looking for him behind every bush.

The renegate are level 15 scouts.

The reason I state that it happens only when you ar good enough is that with the initial Russian release (v1.0) there were complaints that you got attacked by elite soldiers and terrorists when you were only level 2 or 3, and that this was too tough for early characters, and didn't fit into the storyline properly.

So Nival said that in the 1.1 patch they had changed some of the random encounters to only occur when you were a bit further advanced.

Hmm, I almost gave up...no katana for poor ol' Yama :P

Those guys seem to hide so well that even the random encounter is invisible to me :) But maybe it's related to my patch. I got the german version 1.11, and read about changes for the random encounters above...but i'm lvl 13+, so i think i could handle those guys...could it be that Nival screwed this up?

Or maybe i'm simply not patient enough...I'll try again tomorrow...6times the same mission is a bit boring though...

Yama

Salve

Since this is my first post... hello everbody!!! :P

I think that this was a kind of weird, but yet very challenging and interesting mission, especially since it contains one of the few rare weapons that there only are one of. I also think it was really cool to see some Japanese soldiers.. it just makes the plot even cooler IMHO.

*SPOILER WARNING!* - If you do not wish to know how to find Katana swords a little bit easier stop reading, NOW!

It seems that the mission only appears only in the bends of the roads... nowehere else... or atleast for me it doesn't seem to appear anywhere else :?

P.S. 3 Katana Swords and and over 200 shurikens does some damago to the enemy :lol:

Hmm, I almost gave up...no katana for poor ol' Yama  :P  

Those guys seem to hide so well that even the random encounter is invisible to me  :)  But maybe it's related to my patch. I got the german version 1.11, and read about changes for the random encounters above...but i'm lvl 13+, so i think i could handle those guys...could it be that Nival screwed this up?

Or maybe i'm simply not patient enough...I'll try again tomorrow...6times the same mission is a bit boring though...

Yama

I too have the German version 1.11 and I'm now proud owner of a katana. I found the encounter in England, not Scotland. If that helps you: I found the encounter in the bottom left corner of the map.

Besides: with all on level 14 or 15, those guys are easy to beat.

I found them first with a green squad. They chewed me up before I even found more than one of them. The next time I entered that sector, I went strait to turned based, and with two grenadiers started lobbing grenades in a path in front. Limbs and bodies rolled. :twisted: There wasn't much left of the sector when I was done, as I had brought plenty of grenades. My guy's experience went up 3 or 4 points each for that level alone. I was so tired of seeing those guys that I left the Katana and throwing stars, as I don't usually use melee weapons.