Weapon and equipment wishes for rb6.0

Aralez

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter is going to like Mr. Kid. ;)

The best thing she likes about UFO:AM is dressing the soldiers, and she was 'in love' with Qualveg and Slooz for some strange reason.

Just wanted you to know that more-and-different soldier types would be appreciated and enjoyed by all.

--

I need to learn how to mod the eq_mod for myself. If you could provide us with some kind of tutorial that teaches us how to mod the eq_mod, then we can each start experimenting around with different game balances.

Maybe you could do an "Impossible" version of the eq_mod in which eveything is turned on, and have some kind of included text file with the "Impossible" mod that teaches us how to turn things off, and then turn us loose in search of the 'perfect' balance?

I think it would be good for a bunch of us to know how to mod the eq_mod, so that we can each be testing different balances and tweaking the thing as we see fit.

Then we'll pretty much be set.

--

Of course, three or four different versions of the eq_mod at different difficulty settings would be good as well. They would come in handy, especially if a tutorial on how to modify them can be drawn up easily without much trouble.

Black Almaz: Did you try the hireunit cheat? Try it multiple times and you'll get a hybrid or cyborg that way. (oh btw, i followed your idea and made the colours of the standard armours a bit more "military" looking., you'll like it!)

Lurker: The eq-mod consist of only 3 files: 2 loadoutfiles with VERY easy structure and the file "listofenemies.txt" which points towards the loadout files. The only problems i ran into were:

-Don't edit the ORIGINAL loadoutfiles (ctd) instead add new ones

-Don't use different ammotypes in one loadout (e.g bullets AND grenades for OICW)

-Change the number of entries at the start of the file

I also need to learn how to unpack and pack a vfs file.

I believe that Kermel was trying to teach me something about it up above.

I copied these lines from his messages:

ufovfs.exe x 55_mod.vfs tactical\configs

ufovfs.exe a -w 55_mod.vfs tactical\configs\game

--

So where is this ufovfs.exe program?

And what file and/or subdirectory should I extract the eq_mod.vfs to and from so that I'm not overwriting something important?

--

Then, when I get it extracted, I'll have to study it to see if I can make sense of it. If I understand the overall theory, it would make more sense to extract and start with Version 3 of the eq_mod, the Hard one with all the weapons activated that's coming next week or sometime thereafter. Then all I have to do is turn off the give-aliens-weapons feature or erase the unwanted changes to move backwards towards the Rebalance 5.62 defaults?

make the human weapons come early...cause i just got the m82..when it has no use what so eva....we should get it just beore we can get the lurker gun....and the lurker gun sould have a clip...as well as only come up wehn the adavnced laser pistol is made

Isn't the M82 the uber sniper rifle which is supposed to take forever to get?

BlackAlmaz must move like the wind. I have been using ALLITEMS, and I still have only ten bases.

Did BlackAlmaz get the camo-face? I just got Mr. Smith, but no camo-face, yet.

I think BlackAlmaz will like the HARD and the MIDDLE versions of the eq_mod.

The HARD one, with everything given to the aliens, will be an interesting baseline to judge how hard HARD can really be.

The MIDDLE eq_mod is where the trickiness will come in. I think Aralez planned on giving the aliens a few more weapons than I would give them for a MIDDLE setting. The aliens shouldn't have the BFG, the Nuker, the Hover, as already mentioned. The aliens shouldn't have the LurkerGun, the GattlingGun, the LaserGattling, or the Warp Resonator, Warp Detonator, or the WarpDestroyerII at the MIDDLE setting either. And, Kermel has proven that the aliens shouldn't have the Collapsible Railgun or some of the other HeavyArmor only weapons at a MIDDLE setting.

Anyway, the MIDDLE eq_mod will have to be much harder than the EASY, but the MIDDLE shouldn't be impossible to win, or then the MIDDLE ends up being hard, as well. ;)

Ok, the mod 6.0 is finished, i do some final tests atm. Will upload asap, maybe around midnight. Check the mod release board for the file.

Black ALmaz: I hope you will like the new look of the standard uniforms, they look very "military" now.

Lurker (Gulp!) ;) The Lurkergun is, as requested here on the board and by some mails i received, a bit weaker now. You'll still like it, trust me ;)

The SNIPER has more ammo and does a bit more damage now.

Ok, that's it for now. I'm really nervous about what you'll think of the new look of the uniforms. I think the crew is much more professional and realistic now.

The LORD giveth (more SNIPER ammo), and the LORD taketh away (LurkerGun Strength). ;)

You're right, I didn't want the LurkerGun to change. ;)

But, I was also one of the first to say that "as we go along, the Rebalance is going to need periodic rebalancing", as we get more educated about its over-strengths and its weaknesses.

Oh well, I do hope I still like the LurkerGun after trying out the 'new' one. You know what, though? I was actually thinking last night while playing UFO:AM that the LurkerGun is a bit too strong. Hopefully you kept its 60 meter range, though, because that's what made it special - being able to reach out and touch someone.

If you are making the LurkerGun weaker, consider taking off a bit of weight so that it is lighter, and of course, you better keep it's small size so that it can still be carried on the belt.

The LurkerGun was my all-time favorite. Hot little weapon.

Rebalance 6.0:

You scaled back some other stuff besides the LurkerGun, but it's all fine and was called for and probably demanded by some as well.

The SNIPER can now be used to capture transgenants at a safe distance without running out of ammo. Good enough.

Lost Mr. Smith to a fast moving balloon fish and a BFG9000 blast. ;)

The only 'weird' thing so far is that on rolling terrain, the carrier of the HOVER can't seem to acquire a target over the little hills, even though everyone else can. He was one of my better soldiers, but he couldn't have any uneven terrain between him and a target. Anyway, something is not right there with the HOVER, where target acquisition is concerned.

I did take out a DeathBellows in one shot with a Hover Rocket, though, which was very satisfying.

I'd also say that due to the slow moving nature of the Hover Rocket, giving it a longer range wouldn't be out of place, if it's necessary to do so in order to fix its target acquisition problem. Something was wrong there, when all the guys behind the Hover carrier could see the alien enemies, but he had to be right on top of them to shoot them with the HOVER.

Regarding the Armor, I never really paid much attention to Armor, unless my people start dying in it. So, I can't say whether the armor is cooler in 6.0 than 5.6 or not. I usually pay attention to the aliens and the weapons while playing UFO:AM. We each have different styles of play.

This game is turning out differently. This one is going up over the North Pole into Asia from America, instead of going across the Atlantic into Europe from America. Maybe it has something to do with the CHEATS I employed.

No crashes, but I did disable the eq_mod, because I didn't know if it was meant to be compatible with Rebalance 6.0 or not.

Anyhow, 6.0 is turning out just fine in my opinion.

Thank you.

As you know, the laser weapons are weak against the Car Crab. Even the LurkerGun has problems with the Car Crab.

So, instead, I have been taking out Car Crabs with the PSIBURNER. Very satisfying. I discovered that the AutoCannon with Burn ammunition also chews up Car Crabs. But, with the AutoCannon, you have to run towards the Car Crab in range of the Car Crab in order to kill it. With the PSIBURNER, you can usually attack from outside the Car Crab's range.

In fact, with the AutoCannon, if your soldier sees an alien, he always sees it first before he can acquire the target, and then has to run towards it to get into range of it. But, once you are in range, assuming you survive, the AutoCannon with Burn ammo will take down even Reticulans in no time at all.

And, LurkerGun doesn't work against Balloon Fish either. You can't get off a second shot fast enough to with a LurkerGun to keep the Balloon Fish from exploding red acid all over you. So, the LurkerGun isn't the answer to everything.

Anyway, I have at times found myself wishing the last couple of days that the AutoCannon had another three or four meters of range, so that sighting can coincide with shooting.

PSIBURNER - 35 meters

Gamma Particle Thrower - 33 meters

AutoCannon - 29 meters

For damage to the laser-proof critters, I assume that the AutoCannon is in the same league as the others, but you just have to run closer to get into range is all. I have yet to see how the Gamma Particle Thrower does against Car Crabs, but it's on my list of things to try. Lots of fun stuff to try.

--

Question:

Is the eq_mod meant to work just fine with version 6.0 of the Rebalance? I read somewhere that the eq_mod was meant for 5.6, and I wondered if that extended to 6.0 as well, or not.

--

EDIT: I got to try the Gamma Particle Thrower, and with my people missing half their shots with the gun, my problem with that gun is the same one I had with the SNIPER, not enough rounds in the gun. My person went through two of the Gamma Particle Throwers, and still hadn't killed the target. That person ran out of weapons, as those Gamma Particle Throwers just end up discarded on the ground since they can't be reloaded.

Furthermore, I did not get to try the Gamma Particle Thrower on a Car Crab, as that mission didn't have Car Crabs in the mix. So, I don't know it it will work against Car Crabs or not, but the Gamma Particle Thrower didn't do much of anything against a DeathBellows. For the DeathBellows, the HOVER is the weapon of choice, as long as you have buildings to block most of your approach, since the HOVER doesn't have much range and since the HOVER seems to have strange targeting problems as well.

The Gamma-Shotgun rips everything into pieces, trust me with that, i had a close encounter with some carcrabs and reticulans and they were quite surprised ;)

Oh and yes, the first eq_mod works with 6.0, too. No problems here.

Regarding the Autocannon: Iirc some of it's ammo has a better range than the rest. I think the incendiary is the worst, this was a pattern from the original weapons i followed.

Btw, pretty soon i will need your weapon-ideas and -knowledge again. I will post then. ;)

Hi im new to this forum and i've been reading the posts for allmost 2,5 hrs so my eyes hurt a bit ;)

First i'd like to say i'm amazed how dedicated Aralez and crew are. I need some time to digest all info I recieved during this 1st visit and since i haven't tried none of the mods

I'd ask you next:

* to tell me what is the difference beetwen mods? I understood that ALPine and Rebalance are 2 different mods. ;)

* are they compatibile in beetwen?

* if not, do I have to download every version of Rebalance mode and install them or I just take the last one?

And at the end some suggestions (wishes) :angel: You have to consider I havent finshed the game yet nor tried out any of the modes so correct me if weapon/armor/property allready exists. Thanx.

Is it possible to add new insterceptor (e.g. Su-37, Mig-29,f-24 Raptor, some kind of a spy plane to discover alien bases or surveilance satellite for tracking UFOs that are out of radar range).And definetly, equip interceptor like in UFO3: Apocalypse. I like the idea of chopper actually landing down to battlefield. Also some kind of deployable mortar with which you could target an area at your choice and when u fire the weapon you wait for e.g. 5 secs for grenade to fall from the sky. And definetly binoculars, it's silly to go to tactical mission w/o one of them (you could search area /w it and soldiers /w better observation ability could spot enemy on greater distances), the idea of female solds being more stealth, and

able to hide behind trees is also good. I think the aliens shouldn't be able to posses some of human's newest weapons because they have no way of aquiring it, unless they capture base or research center and steel tech, or (if UFO is nearby) they down your chopper and take the weapons :). Basicly i'd like this game not to go too far with weapon types (nail guns are too much, this ain't Quake) and should be as realistic as possible. About tact. nuke, I think the idea is good, but radiation should remain during entire mission, and maps should be bigger and terrain and foliage more abundant in types. I don't miss too much base managment as in UFO 1/2/3. Windows on main screen for listing current missions and UFOs is great idea, 5 time speed settings, PSI tab in weapons section, silencer(i know this presents a technical problem), maybe some kind of deployable bunker for 1 or 2 persons (which could be destroyed /w dircet hit from some kind of grenade thrower or so). And if chopper lands, it should have some 30mm cannon in front that could be used but only in an area in front of the chopper some 30 degrees in total and would need 1 soldier to operate it. Also lying position is needed ! Sold. must be able to throw bombs from that position (deecresed range and accuracy of throwing by 1/3). And some kind of AA baterries taht u could manufacture or capture in some sort of "secure outpost point" mission. then u would be able to spread them accros ur teritory (you'd have small number of them; e.g. for every 10 bases u get 3-5 "outposts - deployable anywhere in your zone of control). That's just for now. See ya. And guys tell me what you thin of it?

@Aralez what is possible out of all this suggestions to do? Tnx. ;)

ALPine is designed to combine all sorts of different mods from different makers, but some combinations result in computer crashes on some machines.

The rebalance is a stand-alone or 'naked' mod, and I believe works best by itself - no crashes if by itself, very stable. Just download the latest Rebalance. If you have previous rebalances, they have to be deleted and replaced with the latest to get the latest. So, the latest or most recent is all you need.

The Rebalance can be used with the eq_mod without risk of crash. The eq_mod, changes the balance of the game by giving the aliens some of the new weapons that have been added. The game gets a tad bit harder with the eq_mod added together with the Rebalance mod.

Some of the stuff that demios suggested has been hardcoded by Altar, and thus can't be changed or modded. Some of the stuff demios requested should be directed toward Altar and begged for in a sequel, if there is ever a sequel. Some of the stuff demios requested is already available through the ALPine plugins, if I understood demios correctly.

--

--

To Aralez:

Take a look at the HOVER for me and make sure that there's nothing wrong with it. Sometimes I can't acquire a target, when I should be able to do so. The slightest box or roll of the terrain between you and the target seems to turn off the HOVER, and you can't even use the 'A'ttack button to force the HOVER to fire. Something is not right there, and I do believe that the HOVER should have at least 35 or 40 meter range. It's a gamble each time you use the HOVER, except against a stationary DeathBellows, so I believe that if the HOVER had unlimited range, that would be just fine because an unlimited range would only serve to increase the gamble is all. Make sense?

The AutoCannon rules! I just sometimes wish it had three or four meters more range on the indendiary ammo, so that I didn't have to run towards the enemy so much in order to get into range to fire the weapon.

Tnx Lurker,

unfortunately ALTAR has no time for us, it seems. Maybe they would be willing to remove protection rights on editing .exe :devil:

By the way, since i don't have money to buy Original CD im doomed to using pirate copy so I can't upgrade it to 1.3 ver, thus apply new mods ;)

I hate that.