Ufo Aftermath = Xcom Genesis?

Fox

As I was playing more and more... I just kind of started thinking. I was just chillin on the geoscape, moving it around, and just looking at the setup. Then I went to the X-COM Genesis screenshots and took a looksy. I urge you all to take a look too.

I heard rumors that some programmers from the old Genesis team were on the Aftermath team. Could this game be our Genesis (obviously dumbed down... due to low budget?)? I really want someone to try and tell me there isnt a striking resemblance to Genesis in tactical missions of Aftermath. It's practically the same thing. Plus the storyline is almost the same... after an alien invasion... a remnant of humans comes back to take the whole thing (read Cyke's interviews).

Just wanted to hear some professional opinions (maybe even some unprofessional ones) on it.

Well, as far as I know, U: AM was originaly going to be Dreamland Chronicals: Freedom Ridge (being made by the guys who made xcom 1+3) Then, Freedom ridge got canned, and altar bought the licence. Unfourtnately, much of the old Code couldn't be used, so they had to pretty much build a new game from scratch. Its a pity too, I would have liked to play a game like that... :withstupid:. Of course, am is good too, but I would have perfered it if the aliens enslaved humanity instead of killing 98% of the population. ;) It would have been nice to liberate slave-labor camps. :angel:

I heard rumors that some programmers from the old Genesis team were on the Aftermath team.

Where'd you hear those rumours?

I really want someone to try and tell me there isnt a striking resemblance to Genesis in tactical missions of Aftermath

Not really. Besides, the Genesis tactical engine never got beyond being a tech demo. There's also a few fan-made projects floating, and they all have a similar geoscape. For example, Project Xenocide: https://www.projectxenocide.com/

Very misinformed rumours then... But most rumours are :D ALTAR are from europe, the guys who were going to develop Genesis were in the US if I recall correctly.

There isnt a strikng resemblance ;) The graphics in Aftermath are a lot better... sorry! The Genesis tactical shots just look that bit groovier in places because it's night-time. Okay, so there is a resemblance, but only because this game required a global interface and a tactical map that you coudl rotate (or today's gamers would have just laguhed at it). Genesis was kind of going to be one of the firt games to do that properly though I think way back when they started making it.

Erm... I will get around to writing up a 100% proper history of what happened in the X-COM franchise from early days to present day at some point, but it's a case of tracking people down who're legally allowed to discuss it :withstupid:;)

Although there are similarities in the story, like the Earth being attacked and taken over, I can't say if Altar looked at the Genesis story, the only reason could be to fit there game in the X-COM universe but it doesn't, because they must have let it take place after 2084 to fit it in, not 2004, then you would have an completely different game, the fun thing of this game is the combination of existing weapons and planes and the alien technologie which couldn't be there if the game took place after 2084.

You guys are taking little tiny pieces here and picking it apart. I'm looking at the bigger picture here... I was thinking this could be the "unofficial genesis". Like, the programmers got together and put ideas from genesis (maybe even already complete source code...?) and made a different game.

Pete - There was no one on the UFO:A team that was supposed to be on the Genesis team? I could have sworn I heard that somewhere! Maybe in XTC forums? I'll take a look.

By Pete at sometime

There isnt a strikng resemblance  The graphics in Aftermath are a lot better... sorry!

LoL, I don't know what all the hype is on UFO:A graphics... there aren't that amazing guys. For a game from 2003, they are not revolutionary. And when I see Genesis screenshots, I see just about the same graphics.

Just had to chip in here.

As stated by others, there is NO genesis code in Aftermath. There's absolutely NO chance whatsoever of this. Follow the link i put in below for more.

The assumption that some ideas/concepts (and yeah the story resemblance is a bit spooky) is technically fine, just as ideas from the other x-com games where I`m sure used.

I`m 999999999999999.9% sure no genesis worker was on the UFO:AM team - largely because i`m sure it would have been made a bigger deal of.

For anyone who wants to read about x-com genesis, you need to go HERE . Heart-wrenching stuff.

maybe even already complete source code...?

Ok, let me quote myself again...

Besides, the Genesis tactical engine never got beyond being a tech demo

There would obviously have to be some code involved in making a tech demo buddy. You don't just make a little flash movie and say that's what the game is gonna look like.