X-Com Operation Flashpoint Mod

Ego Terrorist

Well I've started work on a Operation Flashpoint mod, called Operation Enemy Unknown, and is a mod based on UFO. What I hope to acheive is a full weapon set, with weapons ranging from X-Com Pistol to the Heavy Plasma, HWP's, SkyRanger and Interceptors and to complement them UFO's that will be able to be flown by the player, aswell as 'static' crashed UFO's. X-Com uniform's that will be based on uniforms used by Special Forces and then Personnal armour, and if we're lucky powered armour. And I suppose to make it complete aliens - and I think we'll be starting off with the Muton and the Etheral, other aliens will be much more difficult to implement, plus I'm going to try and figure out if it's possible to create underground bases...

And to make this interesting a Campaign where you will rise through the ranks and will be put through your paces in missions from shooting down UFO's to Terror missions

That's what I hope to achieve but don't get you hopes up, I'm a lazy bugger and this a project that will be put together in my spare time, but just to show you that this isn't just a dream, here's some eyecandy :(

https://mysite.freeserve.com/johnpickering40/title1.jpg

Just the title...

https://mysite.freeserve.com/johnpickering40/rifle1.jpg

Here we have a picture of the Venerable X-Com Rifle (Untextured)

https://mysite.freeserve.com/johnpickering40/rifle2.jpg

And another one

https://mysite.freeserve.com/johnpickering40/rifle02view.jpg

And the Oxygen View of it.

I just need to texture and script the rifle and then game test it :P . Opinions, questions, offers of help and money (All major credit cards accepted :( )

I'll try to whip up a nice logo for you. I've been getting a hell of alot of quality work done with photoshop. I've especially been reading up on weathered metal tutorials. I just have to try to learn how to make textures.

Yeah, um, I have a question...does the Laser rifle in X-Com have a Square boxy type thingy like -

https://mysite.freeserve.com/johnpickering40/laser1.jpg

Or should it be a rounded faring? I'm not quite sure as there's noting to indicate oneway or another, I suppose I'll just stick with square "box" faring for the Laser Rifle, as you can see it's under development, and like the X-Com rifle is untextured and unscripted.

Though X-Com rifle wise I have tried to script it but havn't had much success (I have a fun error msg that comes up when I try and run it ingame... :P ) But it hasn't been forgotten, just given up on for the time being...until I figure out how to script mod's in flashpoint...

Oh and I reckon it'll be possible (just a right bugger) to create a Sectoid model as I uncompressed the .pbo (addon) file for a trooper and found out that it's not too 'hard' by that I mean that that the Sectoid wil be a kind of 'mini-me' (Sorry just had to use the Austin Powers Reference :( ) With a distored head! However the other aliens that arn't humanoid (including Snakemen and Floaters) will be a long time coming.

And the Skyranger is in the pipe, I'm just workig on conept sketches, however if any of you guys have modding skills (creating models, textures or scripting) your help would be welcome!!!!!

have you ever played tom clancy's rogue spear? I reckon it'll be cool to try and include some things from that, like the more detailed grenade stuff and doors, and better indoor enviroments.

BTW I don't know the first thing about modding so I wouldn't be surprised if this was impossible, but never mind.

Yes I've played Rogue spear - very nice game :(

More detailed grenades? how do mean?

Doors? Yes in the Resistance you can open and close doors.

Better indoor enviroments? Whoa!!!!! :P Maybe one day, but for now, you're going to have to live with outdoor enviroments and limited indoor enviroments...but maybe one day, one day...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great Idea.

I looked into flashpoint editing a while ago, and did quite alot of campaign editing (including scripts, of course). But the problem is that OFP is designed for daytime, outdoor levels : The coolest XCOM levels were in cities, at night.... You'd also lose all the linearity...

But I could see how you might make it work...

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, it's nice to see interest in the project :P

The project isn't dead! Just so you know, its on the back burner, basically with only me...and...um...me...as the modding 'team' it make it hard to keep this project going during the exam periods and such...bnut afterwards I should be able to advance forwards with the project!