XCom 6 is recruiting

The Veteran

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't like to make a fuss but yeah wicked :P If you want a bit of content from some of the guys in the project, or some pictures and links just let me know, PM me whatever! But it sounds like a good idea to me! Cheers Slaughter!

Just a quickie for anyone who wants a quick tour of the green surface of Mars! The ACE file is located HERE Wnjoy! And let me know what you think of it so far, it's only an early version.

Please use .ZIP instead of .ACE :P

We`ll also need height/bump map ...

Regarding forums, I think it`s best to use one on GDN for hard core developer stuff, and this thread for everything else: ideas, plans, etc... Two forums are more than enough.

I agree, but if anyone else is like me then they won't always know when something has happened over at GDN! I think when people post something that's specific to a certain person or group of people they should drop people a line in here. I also recommend people use the email notification for any replies at GDN, that's the only way I ever know there's been movement!

I just set up a forum for you here. Would you like a setup more like the other projects, with news and so on, or is that fine? Want me to move this thread there?

Besides that, I also changed the file in the files section to a zip. So few people know the ace format. How are you doing on screens and description for the news post Vet?

Consider it moved! I know I offered a while ago to take on some more responsibilities here too so Slaughter if you're still out there I'll take this forum under my wing. It's not like there's much to look after anyway but hopefully it'll soon grow!

I'm going to create an overview thread with some info on the game, what it is what it needs and what it will eventually be, that sort of stuff. I can't do the programming bits on my own so once it's up Bulma, if you could update those bits that would be good. I'll try and do that some time tonight.

Consider it moved! I know I offered a while ago to take on some more responsibilities here too so Slaughter if you're still out there I'll take this forum under my wing. It's not like there's much to look after anyway but hopefully it'll soon grow!

I'm going to create an overview thread with some info on the game, what it is what it needs and what it will eventually be, that sort of stuff. I can't do the programming bits on my own so once it's up Bulma, if you could update those bits that would be good. I'll try and do that some time tonight.

Excellent.. we actually don`t need forum on GDN any more, so please use only this one...

We`ll use only SC and bugtracker on GDN from now on...

Alan, you are an answer to a much repeated prayer! We need 2D artists with a capital nee! I've certainly got use for someone who can draw for things like UFOpedia entries and the such. I've been working on alien lifeforms for a while and we could use someone to bring them to life (and cut them open on the operating table of course :P) so if you fancy some delegation just let me know what you fancy trying your hand at, weapons, aliens, equipment, loading screens, backgrounds, you name it. I'll give you something to try your hand at :P

It does sound interesting. But my main questions would have to be:

1 - How far do you go on Human types? (White, black, brown, chinese, etc, etc)

2 - How far do you go on Armour?

3 - How far have you got on Alien types?

4 - And finally, how big is the Research tree? (UFOpedia)

I mainly deal with characters and clothing, I'm not that great with backgrounds or weapons. Its possible to make a basic UFOpedia, but, I can't do animaton yet, but I can mark out where certain content go on a UFOpedia entry.

I'm also good at lending suggestions.

Such as, if for example, there was an entry on a weapon, would there be an animation for the weapon spinning 360 degrees in a continous loop with small animations (Like in UFO Aftermath) of examples of the weapon firing, research being done and so on.

I can't do those animations, but I can mark out where they go on the entry.

I can also lend suggestions on the graphic user Interface in Geoscope or Tactical. Like, can you actually minimise the interface to see more of whats going on in the screen? Stuff like that.

1 - How far do you go on Human types? (White, black, brown, chinese, etc, etc)

As far as the humans are concerned I'd been thinking of keeping them fairly similar to us but sticking to caucasians. In other words, no ethnic diversity... I know it might seem a bit dubious but I don't want to create a clone of earth so I'm trying to avoid certain mirrors. At the end of the day, if someone thinks I should be more PC about it they can go to hell :P It's a game, and its our damn game!

2 - How far do you go on Armour?

I haven't paid much thought to armour yet, more time has gone on weapons and the like. The human weaponry is complete in theory, statistics and research tree but they all need images and animations which we come onto shortly...

I'm happy with the aliens we have so far, but I'd still quite like a few more to add to the brew... The original game's have 11 alien lifeforms a piece and right now we're at 7. This is also including several lifeforms from the original games, plus some early predecessors of some more creatures we grow to hate later in the series. For this reason I would like to aim for at least 15 alien lifeforms, but this is difficult to balance whilst maintaing a realistic balance... Each alien we use needs to be believable and have understandable and sensible origins. We can't feature captured species from other planets for example so these creatures are all either indiginous or they are genetic creations...

4 - And finally, how big is the Research tree? (UFOpedia)

The research tree will be extensive. As I mentioned earlier, even the human weapons have a research tree... This means that unlike UFO when we start with pistols, rifles and cannons etc... In Colonisation we will start with very simple weapons, warfare being poorly practiced on Mars up to this point. The player will research through to machine pistols, sniper rifles, grenade launchers and mini guns... Of course this is not necessarily required and there will also be several completely seperate research trees for alien lifeforms, alien weapons, alien technology, XCom technology, base facilities, vehicles and a host of others... These will at various points intertwine to provide us with prerequisites, making it a real challenge for the player to complete all research in a game without specifically taking the time to do so... There will also be several red herrings, research into devices and technology which will later emerge to be useless. This brings a touch of reality to the game as the continously repeated interrogate aliens and find the hidden base ruse pursued by many XCom games only has so much depth to it. In a realistic scenario, there are no easy answers. Global funding and lots of scientists doesn't make developing cutting edge technology any easier! There may also be random events in workshops and laboratories which set the player back by a certain amount of time due to malfunctions in newly developed weapons for example, or teething problems with new vehicle mounted systems.

As for the weapons entry in the UFOpedia which you mentioned... I'm undecided to be honest. The spinning weapon in Aftermath for example is a nice touch but it wasn't new then and it isn't new then. It's nothing special. This is maybe something to discuss, shoot out some ideas to one another, see what everyone thinks about it. I can visualise in my head how it should look but I can't explain it so I'll keep thinking!

As for the sound and music, I forget who it is that's actually working on music for us so if they're here could they please raise a hand?! If they aren't here then I would suggest whoever wants to try their hand at some new XCom music just goes ahead and tries their hand. At the end of the day, we won't get it right first time anyway so it'll be good to have some options to choose from. Maybe even mix and match!

On a personal query... I'm certain I saw a geoscape screen at some point. It had the zoom control panel, time controls, option menu and target information all displayed just like the original game. If anyone knows who did this, where it is, or if I'm simply making it up please let me know!

I'm happy with the aliens we have so far, but I'd still quite like a few more to add to the brew... The original game's have 11 alien lifeforms a piece and right now we're at 7. This is also including several lifeforms from the original games, plus some early predecessors of some more creatures we grow to hate later in the series. For this reason I would like to aim for at least 15 alien lifeforms, but this is difficult to balance whilst maintaing a realistic balance... Each alien we use needs to be believable and have understandable and sensible origins. We can't feature captured species from other planets for example so these creatures are all either indiginous or they are genetic creations...

That does sound pretty cool. But its got me wondering. Could you specify on the alien types? So that I can dig up some source material from the games to work with. That would be great, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Good man Danial!!! As you know, we need more artists in whatever format they mey come! Alan (AlanatXcomhq) is our no.1 2D artist but we still need more!

I'll pm you Alan's and my email contacts so we can all keep in touch and as you know I've already sent you a few concepts Alan, Jman and myself have been working on!

I've seen a lot of your work so far, XCom related or not, its all good stuff. I'm glad to have you on the team, I think it will speed the project along quite a bit!

Assuming This project is in C++

And no ones working on soldier stats

mabye this bit of code can be used in some way for randomly generating stats

int life, life1, life2, life 3, strength1, strength2, strength3, Tu, Tu1, tu2, tu3, Stamina1, stamina2, stamina3, stamina

damage

{

Life1 = 20 + rand() % 10

Life2 = //this is were experience added to life

Life3 = Life1 + life 2 //total life

Life = life3 - damage //current health

Strenth1 = 20 + rand() % 20

strength2 = // experience added here

strength3 = strength1 + strength2

tu1 = 50 + rand() % 20

tu2 = //exp

tu3 = tu1 + tu2

tu = tu3 - turnused //- don't now how u want this doing or if turn based

stamina1 = 30 + rand % 10

stamina2 = //exp

stamina3 = stamina1 + stamina2

stamina = stamina - (turnused/2) // think this is how it stamina was calculated in xcom 1 + 2

}

not all stats are there yet hope it some use only just started c++ used to working with basic 4gl and visual basic have no idea about graphics or creating 3d models but i think i can get the purchasins/selling and manufacturing code working if it not already all you would have to do is add the items there prices to the code and/or time to build should be fairly simple then combine it with you current code by the way

just all calculation bit not much else you ll have to come up with a gui

if you willing to take me on sign me up to

Hey Reaper, thanks for the input! Next time Ivan is around I'll point him in your direction as he deals with the programming side of things but I'm sure he'd be glad to have you aboard, we still have lots to do!!!

I'd also like to welcome aboard Mitch who is a friend of Danial and yet another 2D artist who has volunteered his help to us. I'm hoping he'll stop by the boards at some point so we can all keep up to date with each other. Of course noone will get to see the progress for a while but if you ask the right questions you may get a teaser here and there ;)

Assuming This project is in C++

And no ones working on soldier stats

basic have no idea about graphics or creating 3d models but i think i can get the purchasins/selling and manufacturing code working if it not already all you would have to do is add the items there prices to the code and/or time to build should be fairly simple then combine it with you current code by the way

This project is not in C++ but in C#...

We do have some random stat code from what i see:

public string GenerateStats()

{

string statLine="";

Random r = new Random();

for(int i=0;i!=16;i++)

{

int stat = r.Next(40, 90);

if(i < 5) stat = 0; // armours to zero

if(i == 14) stat = 0; // psi to zero

if(i == 15) stat = 0; // psi to zero

statLine += stat.ToString() + ";";

}

return statLine;

}

However, we don`t have any purchasing/selling/manufacturing code yet. And no one is working on that either, so if you are willing to help, i`ll fill you in...

You can start by going to:

https://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/worksp...8c-3e5e2bf6792e

and applying to workspace...

Sounds good Reaper, glad to have you on side ;) Don't worry too much if you have trouble signing up to the GDN workspace. We're slowly moving over here to SC now anyway! And if you have some code to show then pm Bulma here and send it to him either via that or through email. Ask him what's easiest, I know nothing about code so you only need to pm me if you have a general question, otherwise Bulma is the guy for you!!